Lumia 1020 vs Pureview 808..

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The only downside for you even a year out is that you like smaller devices. I don't think Nokia will put together a flagship camera phone with a footprint like the 808 again. Maybe thinner in the future but height and width I seriously doubt. The lack of SD card does suck though. Also I really used they heck out of the HDMI output. I know I can use DLNA but sometimes it is a bit fussy. Kind of convenient just popping the cable in.

Well, I will have to deal with it.. the frame around the screens should gradually decrease, and hopefully Microsoft can get rid of the need for those 3 buttons on the bottom of the screen as they require the phone to be longer than it needs to.

The HDMI connection the FM transmitter are two thing I will miss quite a bit..

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Correct. 3g bug wonky connect disconnect etc, overall pokiness when reloading the photo library on reboot (after battery drain). Although once it loads things are smooth as silk. Random rebooting when it FIRST came out. A few firmware updates later it has never happened again.

Again I really love my 808 and feel that Nokia was on the right track Symbian was really coming into its own. A couple more browser updates and who know. The 808 with a higher res display and some developer support would have been my absolute dream device. And I actually didn't mind the 4 inch screen either.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If not Microsoft, Nokia with their ability to do a little more with Windows than other OEM's should add swipe gestures of the n9. I had an n9 as well and loved the swipe gestures. A few of those gestures added to Windows phone to get rid of the extra bezel could really perfect the hardware.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
3G bug was more hardware problem with one batch of devices, and random rebooting before updates is also known issue but if you have, if you have a hardware OK updated 808 there are no problems :) and WP also has some quirks...

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are content with Symbian, which is the case with me, I really don't see a reason to upgrade.

The faster shutter speed and OIS are tempting, but not enough ..

From what I've seen so far, I am pretty sure that the 808 has the edge in terms of IQ.

Another big problem is that I can't even fit my music collection on the 1020.. I have over 35gb of music on my 808.

I also like my phones smaller.. the 1020 is wider, taller, and it carriers more volume overall.. its harder to use with one hand. I am going to wait until mid 2014 and see how things are... there should be a no compromise phone from Nokia by then which can replace my 808.

I am very content with my N8.. I have had WP8 and WP7 before, but I could not find the device that fitted me perfectly.. The N8 at $125 which I bought here has make me very happy. The device has multiple advantages in the camera, battery and other departments. Yes the OS is old, but I need a phone not a gaming console.. I think I will wait for comparisons between the PVW 808 and the Lumia 1020 to decide if the $350 are worth or not..

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If not Microsoft, Nokia with their ability to do a little more with Windows than other OEM's should add swipe gestures of the n9. I had an n9 as well and loved the swipe gestures. A few of those gestures added to Windows phone to get rid of the extra bezel could really perfect the hardware.

I think they are starting to port them.. Like for example with the always on clock.. Hope that Nokia brings more gestures to the platform..

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep and also swipe to unlock I believe I saw in a video somewhere. I always loved that feature as well. The z10 was really good with gestures as well.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
3G bug was more hardware problem with one batch of devices, and random rebooting before updates is also known issue but if you have, if you have a hardware OK updated 808 there are no problems :) and WP also has some quirks...

Overall Windows Phone hasn't been problematic for me...but then again the 808 with quirks and all has been totally manageable (aside from that slow loading library...grrr).

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nah.. it was too late for Symbian.. Nokia messed up big time with that project, and now they are paying the price. The really unfortunate thing is that the whole OS is going to go in the can for no good reason. They did try, but at the same time too many mistakes were made.

I mean.. they had a touch screen UX concept way back in 2005, and personally I believe that this is when they made their one biggest mistake.. they didn't think the public was ready for a fully touchscreen device, but we all know what happened 2-3 years later.

Nokia 7700-7710 Symbian OS, Series 90 UI, v.2.0

Nokia 7700 - Full phone specifications

no7700_00.jpg

The kernel is very elegant, and it has tons of potential, but.. it needs a lot of work, and we seem to live in a world driven by commercial success and money, so.. there is no room for such projects. I firmly believe that in the right hands, Symbian can still be on top of all of them.. it was made for mobile communicators from the get go (Psion, etc.)

Getting a bit nostalgic :(

Here are some memorable milestones in the Symbian history.. just looking at all these reminds me that everything we have today, is pretty much based on all of these pioneering devices.. one way or another.

A bit of history for all of you new Nokia fans out there :)

1991-1995 Psion Series 3 ... pretty much the first mobile computer running on something that will later be renamed to Symbian.

Psion_Series_3a.jpg

This is the Psion 5mx (1996-1997) next to a Nokia E7. This is based on EPOC32, which will later become the base for Symbian 6.0

psione7-1.jpg

This is basically the first smartphone with a touch screen..

Ericsson R380 (2000)

ericsson_r380.jpg

2001 .. the first communicator by Nokia. And what do we have here.. omg.. a file manager ?

Nokia_9210.jpg

Then this classic.. the Siemens SX1 (2003), which was the first with the new S60 UI .. I believe

sisx1_00.jpg

Same year, another classic .. Nokia 6600

no6600_00.jpg

2002.. the SE P800

snp800_00.jpg

2003 .. the P900

snp900_00.jpg

2007 ... Nokia E90

e90table2.jpg

2007.. the highest point in Nokia's mobile history.

N95

nokia-n95-02.jpg

In the same year Motorola tried with the Z8

motorola_z8_00.jpg

In 2008 we had this beauty.

E71

nokia-e71-02.jpg

Sammy with the GT i8510 (2008)

samsung-i8150-1.jpg

Towards the end of 2008 they went into panic mode.. tried to port/adopt the S60 UX for touchscreen use, and that was a disaster

5800.. still sold a bunch tho

nokia-5800-xpressmusic-2.jpg

And of course the infamous N97... all in all.. the nail in the coffin

nokia-n97-00.jpg

Even Anssi admitted it..

Samsung had Symbian running on a Cortex A8 with the Omnia HD i8910 towards the end of 2009

samsung-i8910-hd-champagne-gold.jpg

SE with the Satio.. their last proper camera phone.. waiting for the Homani now

se-idou-001.jpg

After 3 years of agony, Nokia finally updated the UX for touch screens. It wasn't perfect.. but way better than that hack job called S60v5

Symbian-Belle-update-335x271.jpg

This is what they launched with

N8, E7, C7,C6-01

family_tb.jpg

Then Symbian 10.0 came along and.. this is what we have today. Much better in terms of UX ..

700, 603, 701

nokiabelle-20110824.jpg

And then Symbian 10.1 ... which came along with the 808 in 2012

Nokia 808 PureView - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nokia_808_PureView_front_and_back_view.JPG

Last edited:

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Awesome little stroll down memory lane. I agree it was too late but with the latest updates Accenture has shipped Symbian does not suck. Full blown push in parallel with Windows or Meego could have been pretty cool as a way for consumers to have more choice. Oh well it's over...Windows Phone or bust!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Awesome little stroll down memory lane. I agree it was too late but with the latest updates Accenture has shipped Symbian does not suck. Full blown push in parallel with Windows or Meego could have been pretty cool as a way for consumers to have more choice. Oh well it's over...Windows Phone or bust!

its okay but the main issues are still there.. no support for newer SoC/faster RAM, which leads to a slow internet browser (unacceptable for today' standards), poor social networking .. despite the direct upload to fb/youtube/twitter from the gallery.

And.. lots of other small things.

What I am saying is that if it had proper attention, it could've been a competitor. Symbian has what it takes on a system level..

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
its okay but the main issues are still there.. no support for newer SoC/faster RAM, which leads to a slow internet browser (unacceptable for today' standards), poor social networking .. despite the direct upload to fb/youtube/twitter from the gallery.

And.. lots of other small things.

What I am saying is that if it had proper attention, it could've been a competitor. Symbian has what it takes on a system level..

Can't say I disagree. I was pretty excited when Nokia announced Belle - Donna. It seemed like they were finally moving forward. And Meego at the high end was awesome. Shoot I had a n900 that I adored for a long time. I remember at first getting the n8 and being disappointed with everything except the camera after having used the n900 for months.

lstrike

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Gotta say though I am super impressed with Nokia's transition as far as speed to release after announcement. The n900 and n8 were absolutely ridiculous. The 920 was a touch painful. But from July 11 to July 16th pre order and finally shipping the 23rd? A+ for that! Now if they could have gotten this bad boy to 199 on contract and 549 that would have just been epic.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

it's a bad engine not newer SoC/RAM that leads to slow browsing IMO...it was a lazy Nokia management that destroyed Symbian not the hardware/software

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Gotta say though I am super impressed with Nokia's transition as far as speed to release after announcement. The n900 and n8 were absolutely ridiculous. The 920 was a touch painful. But from July 11 to July 16th pre order and finally shipping the 23rd? A+ for that! Now if they could have gotten this bad boy to 199 on contract and 549 that would have just been epic.

Very impressive.. for Nokia anyway. I don't think they've ever launched as fast after announcement ever before..

it's a bad engine not newer SoC/RAM that leads to slow browsing IMO...it was a lazy Nokia management that destroyed Symbian not the hardware/software

Its probably both..

P098

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
no, i wont be upgrading to 1020. Im way too happy with my 808, and especially with its battery life. i dont think 1020 is substantial upgrade of 808, well then most of us has seen only the specs. I would reserve my comment on IQ till we get a full blown production device. what ever may be result, i wont buy 1020, i would rather buy 925, or something else with slim profile.

scaramanga89

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I disagree. I was pretty excited when Nokia announced Belle - Donna. It seemed like they were finally moving forward. And Meego at the high end was awesome. Shoot I had a n900 that I adored for a long time. I remember at first getting the n8 and being disappointed with everything except the camera after having used the n900 for months.

Same here, I was gutted when my N8 arrived - Symbian just felt like such a step back after using Maemo for so long. I missed the keyboard too.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
808 is trully a great device, although, we can't deny that 1020 is an evolution from what nokia has been learning from these years (about camera and OS)

symbian may be a good OS, but wp is getting more and more updated and for me, it's already better than symbian, let me remind you that symbian sometimes freezes and takes toooooo much time to ''come back''.. But sure, if you're happy with your 808, I don't see reason to upgrade to 1020, altough, for me, it's cleary an evolution in many more ways..

The camera will be getting better along with the updates (sure nokia will make some mores), and wp8 is getting more matured.. so my opinion? I would take a 1020 over a 808 at anytime..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers