07-31-2013 01:05 AM
28 12
tools
    I've had my 8x since the first week of January and it has been as close to flawless as any smart phone I've owned and that has been quite a few. Speaking as a woman from my gender's point of view I think your wife would love the 8x. Many of the opinions already expressed are talking about storage and durability. I would imagine that your wife is not going to be as rough on her phone as most men and will also find the 16GB version more than adequate. The screen is simply beautiful and videos are awesome on it. It's a gorgeous phone in all respects. I've had no issues with a coating coming off either, but mine does not have the soft finish. It is the gray Verizon employee edition. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.
    07-30-2013 08:44 PM
    don't do it. i had a 900, got an 8x from ebay and even though the nokia is on 7.8 it is vastly superior.
    i mean maybe i got a lemon or else i dont see how no one's talking about the build quality of the 8x. simply put it's just not in the same league as nokias. htc also has ****ty support. nokia apps are a killer and what makes wp stay afloat. the 8x is also stupidly long for the screen size it has. and this last one might be personal, but windows phone only looks good on amoled if you ask me. a huge appeal of the os is how it flows into the bezels, but the blacks are not blacks on the 8x. i wanted to love that phone but it was a pretty mundane disappointment. not outstandingly useless, but just utterly underwhelming in a number of ways
    07-30-2013 11:29 PM
    I think it's a perfectly viable alternative with discounts I've seen recently: it's a WP8.0 flagship for the price of a low-to-mid range Lumia. If you're in an area where HERE services are subsidised (e.g. you have free Drive), then it's pretty great, really.

With my 8X, I feel the downsides are:
    • Camera options. Default camera app is sorely lacking, end up going to ProShot, which I've find to be very unstable, for my shots. Really poor third party camera app selection outside of Nokia's exclusives, not a single noteworthy panorama or HDR app.
    • HERE services aren't subsidised in my country, I'm not paying $45 for Drive+ when Google navigation is free and from what I've experienced, better on other platforms.
      (Exception international / outback travel, which isn't my use case.)
    • You don't get tweaks and tricks from HTC. Nokia has nifty options coming such as the double tap to wake, and the glance screen. They are far from being deal breakers but they are niceties nonetheless.
    07-31-2013 01:05 AM
28 12