Is WP8 a better choice?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The real Instagram on BB? You have to side load it, the average user won't do that and won't know about it and there are plenty of posts on the inconsistancy of it. The app situation is not good on BB. Not horrible, but not as good as WP. I'm not a hard core gamer, but it seems every little casual app I've download has been some crappy Android port and is anything but smooth. That should get better once they update their Android runtime.

Messaging better? I'm not convinced of that either. The "up and over" gesture to get to the hub is getting old... fast. It's a huge waste of time. I love the fact that having the hub is an option, but just let me unlock the phone and see it right on a tile that I can go into. The gestures are a waste of time and just trying to be different for the sake of being different. Swiping up from the bottom is annoying especially when you're in a text message. You swipe up and instead it registers the space bar... so (1) you have to swipe up again, and (2) it put a space in the text message reply box so now you have a "draft" of a text message with a space. Drive me nuts.

The hard core business features such as Blackberry Balance are awesome, but probably doesn't come into play for the OP.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The real Instagram on BB? You have to side load it, the average user won't do that and won't know about it and there are plenty of posts on the inconsistancy of it. The app situation is not good on BB. Not horrible, but not as good as WP. I'm not a hard core gamer, but it seems every little casual app I've download has been some crappy Android port and is anything but smooth. That should get better once they update their Android runtime.

Messaging better? I'm not convinced of that either. The "up and over" gesture to get to the hub is getting old... fast. It's a huge waste of time. I love the fact that having the hub is an option, but just let me unlock the phone and see it right on a tile that I can go into. The gestures are a waste of time and just trying to be different for the sake of being different. Swiping up from the bottom is annoying especially when you're in a text message. You swipe up and instead it registers the space bar... so (1) you have to swipe up again, and (2) it put a space in the text message reply box so now you have a "draft" of a text message with a space. Drive me nuts.

The hard core business features such as Blackberry Balance are awesome, but probably doesn't come into play for the OP.

If you swipe by starting off the screen like you are supposed to, it doesn't count the space bar.

I have to say you are the first person I have heard say that the gestures are useless. Some love them (me) and some don't, but I would hardly call them a waste of time.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you swipe by starting off the screen like you are supposed to, it doesn't count the space bar.

I have to say you are the first person I have heard say that the gestures are useless. Some love them (me) and some don't, but I would hardly call them a waste of time.

Yeah, I know how to do the gesture right, maybe it's my lack of coordination. :smile:

I might be a little harsh on saying they are useless, maybe I'm just a home button kinda guy. :smile: I find it much easier just tapping the windows button and BAM, I'm in my "hub"

Another example is if I get a Facebook notification of a photo I'm tagged in. I click on that in the hub and it loads the picture. I then turn off my phone and put it in my pocket.. 10 minutes later or whatever I get my phone out again and unlock it. There on the screen is that photo. Was I in the Facebook app, or was I in the hub? I do the gesture to get into the hub, but since I already was in the hub, it takes me to the icon screen. Crap, I think I did the gesture wrong so I do it again.... it takes me right back to the photo. Then I finally realize that I am in the hub. So I have to tap 'Done' on the photo.

It's not a deal breaking world ender... it's just annoying. People go into their phones like 60 times a day so you don't always realize where you were when you last used it. I'm an 'easy button' type of guy. We are just about to start our Z10/Q10 rollout of the handfull of Blackberry devices we even have left and I'm dredding it. Maybe it won't be so bad.

I love their idea of the hub. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone has that with the email accounts, they just need to add things like twitter and facebook into it.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know how to do the gesture right, maybe it's my lack of coordination. :smile:

I might be a little harsh on saying they are useless, maybe I'm just a home button kinda guy. :smile: I find it much easier just tapping the windows button and BAM, I'm in my "hub"

Another example is if I get a Facebook notification of a photo I'm tagged in. I click on that in the hub and it loads the picture. I then turn off my phone and put it in my pocket.. 10 minutes later or whatever I get my phone out again and unlock it. There on the screen is that photo. Was I in the Facebook app, or was I in the hub? I do the gesture to get into the hub, but since I already was in the hub, it takes me to the icon screen. Crap, I think I did the gesture wrong so I do it again.... it takes me right back to the photo. Then I finally realize that I am in the hub. So I have to tap 'Done' on the photo.

It's not a deal breaking world ender... it's just annoying. People go into their phones like 60 times a day so you don't always realize where you were when you last used it. I'm an 'easy button' type of guy. We are just about to start our Z10/Q10 rollout of the handfull of Blackberry devices we even have left and I'm dredding it. Maybe it won't be so bad.

I love their idea of the hub. Don't get me wrong. Windows Phone has that with the email accounts, they just need to add things like twitter and facebook into it.

I would say this is a much more useful post! I certainly get some people prefer the buttons to gestures. I really like gestures because you don't have to be so exact with finger placement and movement to accomplish things.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I would say this is a much more useful post! I certainly get some people prefer the buttons to gestures. I really like gestures because you don't have to be so exact with finger placement and movement to accomplish things.

Thanks. One thing that I'm missing from WP8 as I'm using the Z10 (Been using it all week) is toast notifications. I know it's just a different philosophy between the two OS's but I was browsing the 'net on my Z10 and the phone vibrated. It was a text message but I had no clue at all. On WP8 I would have a toast that I could either ignore, swipe away right away, or tap on to reply. On the Z10 I have to do the peek gesture, which does tell me right away what could possibly be new. If I want to do any action on it, I need to complete the gesture to get into the hub. However, that presents the same problem I spoke in my previous post. Once I'm in the hub, I'm to the spot I last was, so it might be a few extra steps to get to the text message.

Now, give the Z10 a toast like popup and we are getting somewhere.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. One thing that I'm missing from WP8 as I'm using the Z10 (Been using it all week) is toast notifications. I know it's just a different philosophy between the two OS's but I was browsing the 'net on my Z10 and the phone vibrated. It was a text message but I had no clue at all. On WP8 I would have a toast that I could either ignore, swipe away right away, or tap on to reply. On the Z10 I have to do the peek gesture, which does tell me right away what could possibly be new. If I want to do any action on it, I need to complete the gesture to get into the hub. However, that presents the same problem I spoke in my previous post. Once I'm in the hub, I'm to the spot I last was, so it might be a few extra steps to get to the text message.

Now, give the Z10 a toast like popup and we are getting somewhere.

Toast notifications are coming in an update.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a Blackberry, so have no standard of comparison, but would like to make a few comments regarding some of the things in this thread.

First is the rivalry between owners of WP and Blackberry, which covers neither community in any glory. If Blackberry does end up a 'dead platform', it won't make me happy. Quite the contrary, I'd like to see Windows Phone, Blackberry and a resurgent Apple take the battle to the Googlemonster. When I opted for Windows Phone, it was for positive reasons and experience has proven that that decision was the right one for me. I'm convinced WP is the best OS overall and best suited to the needs of the average user.

I am one of the people who would like to see a notification centre in WP, but it is not the deal killer some would have you believe. This is because the start screen in WP is the notification centre. Once past the lock screen, you are presented with tiles which give you information without having to open an app and developers have been very successful in using this capability to provide a fluid and refreshing UI. My one gripe is that if you miss a notification when its posted on the lock screen, there's no way to find out what it was.

I have yet to find a single convincing reason why full multi-tasking is useful on a phone. On a computer, you could use multi-tasking to check your email while Excel is crunching numbers or even watch a movie while generating a Mandelbrot scan, but where is the mobile equivalent? Windows phone does do somethings like play music or download files in the background, but I've yet to see a user task that works that way. As far as I can see, Microsoft were right in limiting the ability to multi-task - every task running uses battery and processor resources.

On a related note, the ability to close apps is redundant in Windows Phone, because when not on screen they don't use resources. The system is designed so that you don't have to manage apps, so when you've finished with an app you just hit the Windows key and move on. If you want to go back to an app, then hold the Back key and swipe to the app you want - the system will then carry on from where you left it. If the system needs more resources, it closes the least used app by itself. I do wonder if that is why I've never suffered the 'other storage' bug, because I use the device the way it was intended.

The app question is an odd one for me because I can't understand why Blackberry would taint perhaps the most secure platform of all by enabling it to run malware. By enabling the side-loading of Android apps, Blackberry have opened a can of worms. One of the reasons I denounce Android is that it is a completely open ecosystem, meaning that there is no protection for users - especially non-technical ones - from hackers. What's worse is that whatever virus protection runs under Android does so without any special privileges, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Why Blackberry went down this route I'll never know. I am truly mystified. Also, I have never felt the app store to be restrictive.

The ugliest word in this thread is bias. If I had Microsoft shares or were payed for every device I sell, then it would be right to say I was biased, but since I see no pecuniary advantage from your purchase I repudiate the charge. Partisan yes, biased no. This is a Windows Phone forum.

So here are my reasons you should choose the Nokia:
i. The camera is radically better than that offered on any other mobile phone with the exception of the Lumia 1020..
ii. The Here mapping services are superb. A friend of mine used his new Lumia 920 instead of his Tomtom and is now selling the Tomtom because he thinks the navigation service is better on the Nokia.
iii. Web services. As well as Xbox and 7Gb of free cloud storage, important information like contacts and calendar are synchronised automatically and available on your Windows 8 PC or tablet. Using Outlook.com, you can set up multiple calendars, including customizable recurring appointments and have it all synchronised on your phone. All colour-coded, of course.
iv. I've used Windows Phone devices for over two years now and they have all proved exemplary. Reliable, gimmick-free and easy to use.
v. Like iOS, Windows Phone is a walled garden. Every app in the Windows Phone store has to pass stringent standards and is vetted by Microsoft. This means you don't need technical knowledge to safely use Windows Phone.
vi. Windows Phone has a bright future. While many detractors have fixated on the 3%(now 3.9%) market share, they do not appreciate that WP is an integral part of a coherent plan - called the 3 screen strategy - Microsoft has for the future. While many companies are innovating, only MS plans to integrate Windows devices into a seamless whole which will enable many new possibilities. Buying that Nokia will put you on the crest of a wave of innovation which is nothing short of exciting.

This is all of course, opinion. Whatever you do choose, I hope it serves you well because I do know what it's like living with a device you hate for two years.

Good luck.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a Blackberry, so have no standard of comparison, but would like to make a few comments regarding some of the things in this thread.

First is the rivalry between owners of WP and Blackberry, which covers neither community in any glory. If Blackberry does end up a 'dead platform', it won't make me happy. Quite the contrary, I'd like to see Windows Phone, Blackberry and a resurgent Apple take the battle to the Googlemonster. When I opted for Windows Phone, it was for positive reasons and experience has proven that that decision was the right one for me. I'm convinced WP is the best OS overall and best suited to the needs of the average user.

I am one of the people who would like to see a notification centre in WP, but it is not the deal killer some would have you believe. This is because the start screen in WP is the notification centre. Once past the lock screen, you are presented with tiles which give you information without having to open an app and developers have been very successful in using this capability to provide a fluid and refreshing UI. My one gripe is that if you miss a notification when its posted on the lock screen, there's no way to find out what it was.

I have yet to find a single convincing reason why full multi-tasking is useful on a phone. On a computer, you could use multi-tasking to check your email while Excel is crunching numbers or even watch a movie while generating a Mandelbrot scan, but where is the mobile equivalent? Windows phone does do somethings like play music or download files in the background, but I've yet to see a user task that works that way. As far as I can see, Microsoft were right in limiting the ability to multi-task - every task running uses battery and processor resources.

On a related note, the ability to close apps is redundant in Windows Phone, because when not on screen they don't use resources. The system is designed so that you don't have to manage apps, so when you've finished with an app you just hit the Windows key and move on. If you want to go back to an app, then hold the Back key and swipe to the app you want - the system will then carry on from where you left it. If the system needs more resources, it closes the least used app by itself. I do wonder if that is why I've never suffered the 'other storage' bug, because I use the device the way it was intended.

The app question is an odd one for me because I can't understand why Blackberry would taint perhaps the most secure platform of all by enabling it to run malware. By enabling the side-loading of Android apps, Blackberry have opened a can of worms. One of the reasons I denounce Android is that it is a completely open ecosystem, meaning that there is no protection for users - especially non-technical ones - from hackers. What's worse is that whatever virus protection runs under Android does so without any special privileges, which is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Why Blackberry went down this route I'll never know. I am truly mystified. Also, I have never felt the app store to be restrictive.

The ugliest word in this thread is bias. If I had Microsoft shares or were payed for every device I sell, then it would be right to say I was biased, but since I see no pecuniary advantage from your purchase I repudiate the charge. Partisan yes, biased no. This is a Windows Phone forum.

So here are my reasons you should choose the Nokia:
i. The camera is radically better than that offered on any other mobile phone with the exception of the Lumia 1020..
ii. The Here mapping services are superb. A friend of mine used his new Lumia 920 instead of his Tomtom and is now selling the Tomtom because he thinks the navigation service is better on the Nokia.
iii. Web services. As well as Xbox and 7Gb of free cloud storage, important information like contacts and calendar are synchronised automatically and available on your Windows 8 PC or tablet. Using Outlook.com, you can set up multiple calendars, including customizable recurring appointments and have it all synchronised on your phone. All colour-coded, of course.
iv. I've used Windows Phone devices for over two years now and they have all proved exemplary. Reliable, gimmick-free and easy to use.
v. Like iOS, Windows Phone is a walled garden. Every app in the Windows Phone store has to pass stringent standards and is vetted by Microsoft. This means you don't need technical knowledge to safely use Windows Phone.
vi. Windows Phone has a bright future. While many detractors have fixated on the 3%(now 3.9%) market share, they do not appreciate that WP is an integral part of a coherent plan - called the 3 screen strategy - Microsoft has for the future. While many companies are innovating, only MS plans to integrate Windows devices into a seamless whole which will enable many new possibilities. Buying that Nokia will put you on the crest of a wave of innovation which is nothing short of exciting.

This is all of course, opinion. Whatever you do choose, I hope it serves you well because I do know what it's like living with a device you hate for two years.

Good luck.

It is a little weird that you would insist that we should root for any OS to go away.

You said you don't see the reason for true multitasking. Once you have it, you will know why. Having up to 8 programs running is great to have. Look at it this way: On a computer, you might have 6 tabs open to different sites and services you use. Chances are you use the same services and sites on your phone, except though apps. So now, instead of needing one browser like on a computer, you have 5 or 6 apps open that you want to switch inbetween.

As far as sideloading goes, BB isn't open to all the same issues with Android apps as Android. Look at it like an emulator on a computer.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
you mean toast notifications that displays the content (foul language from a client) of the text message right on top of the cartoon video i am showing to my kids

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
you mean toast notifications that displays the content (foul language from a client) of the text message right on top of the cartoon video i am showing to my kids

Most apps allow you to control if you want toast notifications. Also, I can't help that you have friends that talk dirty to you while your child has your phone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, I can't help that you have friends that talk dirty to you while your child has your phone.

Yeah, that's not any software maker's issue... YOU as a parent need to insure your kids are not exposed to that which you don't want them exposed. If you have friends or clients who talk dirty to you on your phone and you don't want your kids exposed, maybe you shouldn't be showing the phone to your kid in the first place.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Been answered in the other thread. If you launch your apps from Kid's Corner on WP8, toasts are disabled. Problem solved.

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is a better choice, its all subjective.

Ask this question on crackberry and youll be amazed at the comments you get supporting blackberry.

Just like some people on this site promote Office for windows phone without knowing that options exist on other platforms.

Better is whatever YOU like, not what WE on the internet like.
I could not agree more with that response man. I wish everyone understood this

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as sideloading goes, BB isn't open to all the same issues with Android apps as Android. Look at it like an emulator on a computer.

But sideloading is by far not the only way to get your Android device infested with malware! We have seen many instances of people getting scammed or robbed by Android apps that are downloaded through the official google play store.

What I do not know is how such malware behaves on BB10, but at least theoretically a fully functional emulator should expose BB10 to the same risks.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
But sideloading is by far not the only way to get your Android device infested with malware! We have seen many instances of people getting scammed or robbed by Android apps that are downloaded through the official google play store.

What I do not know is how such malware behaves on BB10, but at least theoretically a fully functional emulator should expose BB10 to the same risks.

Think of Bluestacks on PC. You can run apps downloaded from the Play Store, but your PC has zero chance of falling victim to Android malware.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Think of Bluestacks on PC. You can run apps downloaded from the Play Store, but your PC has zero chance of falling victim to Android malware.

Ahh... I see what you are thinking... it doesn't work that way...

If the Android app wants to send a text, then the emulator will cause the device to send that text. If the Android app wants to access all your contacts and send them mails, the emulator will do that too. In other words, the emulator allows Android apps to control hardware and access data stored on the BB10 device. The Android emulator is not providing a completely isolated environment like bluestacks does.

What I do not know is if BBRY thought some Android features are unacceptably large security risks, and decided not to support them (in which case all apps using those features wouldn't run on BB10), or if they are correctly emulating the entire Android API.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ahh... I see what you are thinking... it doesn't work that way...

If the Android app wants to send a text, then the emulator will cause the device to send that text. If the Android app wants to access all your contacts and send them mails, the emulator will do that too. In other words, the emulator allows Android apps to control hardware and access data stored on the BB10 device. The Android emulator is not providing a completely isolated environment like bluestacks does.

What I do not know is if BBRY thought some Android features are unacceptably large security risks, and decided not to support them (in which case all apps using those features wouldn't run on BB10), or if they are correctly emulating the entire Android API.

Side loaded Android apps do not have access to bluetooth

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It comes down to *basic* phone functionality.

Screen Orientation Lock,
Notification Centre,
Sound Profiles,
LED Notification,
customizable tones for IMs (viber, whatsapp etc)
functional Facebook app that actually gives you notifications,
universal phone search,
a way to search text messages,
A way to kill apps directly ( you have to keep pressing the back button to exit an app in WP8)

The Z10 has them , WP8 does not.

The romance with live tiles and the UI will last about a month.
Then you will realize that WP8 is miles behind the competition and simple basic features are missing. I made a mistake with my contract when I got Lumia 920. It never crossed my mind to research whether the phone would have the above said features as I took them for granted.......

Yada Yada Yada, can't you come up with more than the rehashed list of things you mention?

Yes, they don't exist but would I let this list influence my decision? HELL NO.

WP8 is just over one year old and it is maturing faster than any OS up to now. Yes, they had the advantage of knowing what the target was, Apple and Android. I firmly believe that the overall experience and integration that MS offers can't be matched by anyone; maybe Google.

Just look at the past history of RIM, rode their laurels from the top to the bottom. Problem was, they didn't see the bottom until it was too late.

Go with the WP8 and enjoy the ride.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Go with what you want.

Why have overly biased people (both from CrackBerry AND WPCentral) tell you what to get when you can follow your heart and return it if it's not really meant for you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05