Is WP8 a better choice?

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I owned the Z10 for 3 months before trading it in for the Q10. I picked up the 925 last week. Currently, I am using both the Q10 and the 925 on a daily basis for work.

As much as I like the 925, and I really like it, if I had to choose between a Z10 and 925, then I would go with the Z10, but that's just me. Your specific needs, wants and preferences will differ from mine and everyone else's.

I suggest making a list of what the most important features are for you. What do you use the most on a daily basis? For me, email, text, phone are, by far, my most used features. Thus, BB is a good choice for me as my daily driver. I picked up the 925, specifically, because I recently started using Office365 in my law practice.

After you know what's most important to you, go to the store and play with each device. IMO, it's difficult to make a decision on a phone, until you've had it in-hand.

For me, the Z10 excels at communication and multi-tasking. Also, the keyboard is absolutely fantastic. The best virtual keyboard I've ever used.

The Lumia has a great camera (of course) and the Microsoft (Office365, SkyDrive, Xbox) integration is wonderful.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either device. They are both great! Pick the one that's right for you.

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
OP, let me clear some things up. I am a proud 920 owner, as well as a proud Z10 owners.

One post said they though BB was a dead platform. I think BB will be fine, at least for the length of time you will own the phone. I would not worry about the.

Apps-WP is def. better in this area. BB is in the situation that WP was back around early Spring of 2012. They have some big name apps, but a lot are missing. To those that say that all apps that are just ported from Android to BB are crap, they are wrong. There are def. some examples of crap, but I could just as easily find native WP apps that are horrible.

As far as sideloading Android apps, it is harder than you would think. You have to first get the APK file from somewhere (there are ways of getting them from the Play Store. You then have to use a program to convert them to a BAR file (which first requires getting a token directly from BB). Then you have to use another program to install it on your BB phone. I found apps that I sideloaded took longer to load at first, but then ran just fine. Currently, only Android apps compatible with Android 2.3.3 and below will work with BB. If they require a higher version, you will have to wait for BB10.2 (official current release is 10.1). There are other limitations as well. Bluetooth, for example, won't work with apps you sideloaded.

Ease of use - BB10 is def. harder to learn that WP, but not hard. It has a different flow than the other OSes. Once you get the basics it isn't hard at all. I actually prefer the way it does some things with swipe gestures compared to buttons.

Music - WP is better considering you can use a lot of the different music services plus Xbox music. That said, I do believe you can use Google Music through the browser on the Z10 (though obviously that isn't a perfect solution by any means).

Browser - Z10 kills WP for one reason: built in Flash support. I am not one of those people who believe that Flash is worthless. For example, I don't think any platform has a good Justin.tv app. They all suffer from problems. The Z10 is the only phone I can use Justin.TV from the website which is a better experience. Also, Amazon Instant Video works extremely well though the Z10 browser because of Flash. WP can't use the service at all because of no app or Flash. When it comes to video based apps, the Z10 can make up for a lot of them that are missing because of this one feature.

Camera - 925 will destroy the Z10.

Keyboard - Really good on either phone.

Multitasking - Z10 is the winner. With true multitasking (all apps are actually still running compared to WP), switching between is a lot easier. BB10 also puts open apps more in the forefront by turning the multitask selection page into the homepage.

Microsoft integration - Obviously WP is significantly easier and more powerful for this. I would say though that the z10 is better if you use a lot of Google services.

As far as the posts that talk about missing "basic features" on WP, they are missing, but are only "basic" to some people. It really comes down to what works for you. No need for me to go into each one.

It really is going to come down to what you use your phone for.

Click here to check out my review of the Z10 to get further details.

THANKYOU! This was actually really helpful! The retail stores where I live only carry dummy devices, so it hasn't been much help, and the reps don't seem to know anything about non-apple devices. I'm mostly just looking for a phone that gets out of the way of what you want to do. Notification center isn't super important because from what i understand, you get counters on the start screen, for apps that have notifications.

I do have a Windows 8 Computer, though I don't know what microsoft services I use other than Hotmail and the exchange mail at my uni.
My main question is about getting music onto the 925... I know that Zune doesn't work on WP8 phones, is there a new app in place or do you use Windows Media Player now?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You can still use Zune but now you have the option to use Xbox music its more flexible in windows phone 8

Zune doesn't work for WP8. Your Windows 8 PC will have the WP8 app already installed, or you can drag and drop, or use Media Player, or any number of myriad options. If you have iTunes, the WP8 app can sync your content from there to your WP8.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
@11B1P

Each one of the things I mentioned on their own arent too bad . But combined it becomes one big thing.

I will agree with you. For some people these are really big things. I'm looking forward to seeing some improvements to the os, but for the majority, I like it over the competition.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You said you don't see the reason for true multitasking. Once you have it, you will know why. Having up to 8 programs running is great to have. Look at it this way: On a computer, you might have 6 tabs open to different sites and services you use. Chances are you use the same services and sites on your phone, except though apps. So now, instead of needing one browser like on a computer, you have 5 or 6 apps open that you want to switch inbetween.

As far as sideloading goes, BB isn't open to all the same issues with Android apps as Android. Look at it like an emulator on a computer.

Before you go too far with your patronising attitude, you should know that I built my first computer with a soldering iron and could well have been programming while you were gestating.

I know what multi-tasking is, having had it on my computers for decades. What's more I have used it as intended, leaving Excel to perform a statistical analysis, while I began writing a report on Word. This is what true multi-tasking is about: performing two active tasks simultaneously.

Windows Phone fulfills the scenario you outline and does not need full multi-tasking; in fact having full multi-tasking is a waste of resources and helps explain why all but high-end Android devices are so damn clunky. Now if you'd like to describe a case where true multi-tasking is taking place - rather than merely flipping between two static tasks - then you might convince me, but nothing I've seen since I got my fist smartphone over a decade ago leads me to the conclusion full multi-tasking is any use on a smartphone. Incidentally, Windows Mobile supported full multitasking and you will see two WM devices in the picture in my signature below.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I am a hard core Lumia ****** because my Lumia 800 has served me better over the last 18 months then any device I have ever owned, but I am also open to something better and judge with perspective.

Each of these 2 devices has Pro's and Cons (obviously) and Although I have had only a couple of hours hands on with the Z10 and none with the 925 I can give you this well researched advice.

925 is better with

#1 MUSIC because of Nokia Music services as well as Xbox Music, you will enjoy the Live tile and artist background and lockscreen experiance
#2 GAMING because of native Xbox integration
#3 BUILD QUALITY... No need for me to go in to this as you know what I'm talking about
#4 CAMERA....
#5 NOKIA SUPPORT their devices with constant updates and upgrades to enhance your experiance more so then any other OEM

Like I mentioned, I dont really know much about the Z10 but the couple of hours I spent helping a friend with her Z10 was HORRIBLE! the settings menu kept freezing up and went dark and she had to keep restarting her phone. That is most probably a rare and device specific error but the whole experiance I had thus far with BB10 left a bad taste in my mouth.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Mase. Your review is excellent. You are correct with my thoughts of BB being a dead-end platform. Its something that will not effect anyone in the short-term. The longer-term however is where BB will have a very hard time. As all of their competitors build toward their own integrated infrastructures BB will become isolated and slowly just fade away.

A huge lack of foresight on BB's management is the unfortunate cause. Had they seen how important the integrated services would become when they were controlling the market I think two of the current four OS's wouldn't be around. WP being one of them.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the Z10 in house and I expected this phone was going to live up to the hype right out the box but not even close. Some of its features are "worthy" but as a device, yeech. I could not and would not recommend it. It takes a bit to get your arms around and once you do, you can get on with it but for me, it was flat annoying to use and it never got better. BTW, Flash doesn't kill IE10. It can't. Unless 90 percent of web IS flash based. But since Flash on cell phones is a dead preposition it'll not beat IE10.
Now the Q10 is probably a good utility phone especially for geezers that insist on physical buttons. The buttons on the Q10 are larger and it still has the gestures the Z10 has. Somehow though, Q10 is more "Blackberry" than the Z10. What RIM did with it finally makes sense than what they were faking it with the Bold. Anyway, on the topic, go with the 925. It is far and away a better representative to where the technology is headed. The Blackberry will be the product of Wiki stories and thats about it.

PJLips

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. One thing that I'm missing from WP8 as I'm using the Z10 (Been using it all week) is toast notifications. I know it's just a different philosophy between the two OS's but I was browsing the 'net on my Z10 and the phone vibrated. It was a text message but I had no clue at all. On WP8 I would have a toast that I could either ignore, swipe away right away, or tap on to reply. On the Z10 I have to do the peek gesture, which does tell me right away what could possibly be new. If I want to do any action on it, I need to complete the gesture to get into the hub. However, that presents the same problem I spoke in my previous post. Once I'm in the hub, I'm to the spot I last was, so it might be a few extra steps to get to the text message.

Now, give the Z10 a toast like popup and we are getting somewhere.

I'd suggest to install the latest OS leak, 10.2.0.1047. It has toast notifications, lock screen previews, new Android runtime and phenomenal battery life.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...team-presents-10-2-0-1047-all-devices-835026/

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Posts like these amuse me. The OP will never get anything objective in a WP forumn or a BB forumn. Its just the nature of the beast for each particular forumn. Forgive me as I continue in my amusement... I've done research and found that those that answer fall into certain categories.

1. Fanatics 45% Those that see the product not only as value but as the only option. Know all there is to know about their product of choice and the negatives of others. Probably has not tried the competition and will fight tooth and nail to keep their investment on top or relevant. (A small percentage of these also turn into #5 for other forumns)

2. Appreciators 35% Those who see value in their purchase, have done some research and like the product better and think others should know about the experience.

3. Uncommitted 10% Those who do not really have a dog in the fight, and try to seem above the question. May even carry and attempt to sell both handsets. (Still hard to believe that one would actually want to buy apps in two different markets) These people scare me the most because I cant understand them:)

4. Detractors 5% Those who did not like the experience, and want others to know about it.

5. Demagogues 5% Those who probably have not tried the experience, the extreme haters who abhor the competition so fiercely that they sit on the boards of the OS that they hate just to put it down. (Most of these individuals are type #1 in their forumn of choice.)

And even if the question amuses me so, I always get caught and respond to the original question.

1. Office Suite
2. Nokia and Xbox Music
3. Camera better on 925 than Z10
4. Native app selection is richer on 925 than Z10

By the way, next time anyone asks this question, I think responders should go ahead and divulge to which category they reside. Solid 2 here! I've tried the top 2 platforms and like the WP experience better. I've done some research to be dangerous but don't have the time or patience to hawk forumns or debate anyone:)

/Amusement

Last edited:

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried the Z10, it seemed like it was trying to be too clever for the sake of being different. Didn't like it. Although I did like the phone itself, it did have a great screen.

The OS, not so much.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Next time try to maybe get over your amusement and extensive research and actually READ the OP properly first! He is interested in getting a Lumia 925 NOT a 928 (two very different devices) and I am pretty sure he doesn't give a S#&T about your made up and totally unhelpful not to mention useless statistics on forum members!

You probably just wanted to sound smarter then you are but.... Fail dude...fail :p

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
^^^

You took my post way too seriously, it was in the spirit of fun. I will not hide 4 letter words in my response, argue with you, or explain my education credentials. But, I will thank you for pointing out that I made a slip with 925/928 and have corrected that. Win! <- (A word I find much more empowering than the youth generational negativity of 'fail')

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Good for you dude! Sorry for being so harsh, I'm not an a$$hole all the time, just remember people don't usually respond to a person blowing his or her own horn and trying to school others with their superior education/wisdom well.

What help is all that statistical nonsense about forum participants to him or anyone else on this thread?

Just stick to the point and give your opinion/advice.... You are obviously a awesome dude and I do respect you, nothing personal bro!

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Your apology is unnecessary. I made no assumptions about your character towards me and have been through and seen too much to feel offended by your post. My retort was to state out that my first post on this subject should not have been taken with any seriousness at all. It seems I did not do a good job of making that point.

The nonsensical statistics were just that.. Made up for a point of levity. There was no scientific research done.

However, until a moderator deems my attempt at levity to be unwarranted or unwelcomed, I will exercise my own judgment on when, where and if I use it in further posts as long as I bring a meaningful response to the OP. And speaking of such, this will be my last post on this tangent as it is detracting from the original thread.

Have a great day!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest to install the latest OS leak, 10.2.0.1047. It has toast notifications, lock screen previews, new Android runtime and phenomenal battery life.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-l...team-presents-10-2-0-1047-all-devices-835026/

Thanks. I might check that out. I'm about to do a BB10 rollout so I need to run the same OS that my end users are going to run. I do have a spare Z10 that I might have to flash. And since we use Verizon, I expect we won't see an official 10.2 for a year. :smile:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you swipe by starting off the screen like you are supposed to, it doesn't count the space bar.

I have to say you are the first person I have heard say that the gestures are useless. Some love them (me) and some don't, but I would hardly call them a waste of time.

Must have never seen or touched a webOS phone if he/she feels that way about swipes. I agree, gestures are what separate touchscreens from anything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon