08-17-2013 02:38 AM
90 1234
tools
    You do realise the difference beatween a minor request and a goddamn idiotism that when you lower some ultra loud YT video, that you then have to (if you don't forget) increase the ringtone volume later on, some videos I watch are very loud, even on 2, 3 volume i can hear it pretty well, but 2, 3 is useless for a ringtone..
    I'll say it again: I prefer a single device volume as opposed to individual volume profiles. So if you don't realize that you're talking about your personal usage patterns and preferences that other people might not share, then I have nothing else to say to you and I will watch with great mirth as you continue to impotently rage-gasm all over this thread.
    08-11-2013 03:27 PM
    I also like having a master volume control as opposed to controls for multiple profiles. I know that with Android, I'd constantly have to change the configurations several times a day which is a pain IMO. It's so easy to use the master control on WP and you can change it quickly between video, music, notification etc. It's separate from the control for when you are using the phone to listen to the person on the other end, but I keep it on 10 all the time anyways.
    08-11-2013 03:39 PM
    I haven't found that setting in my iphone4S. I did receive that Amber Alert. I believe it is AT&T's firmware update compatible with certain models of phones. I am sure if AT&T wants, they can release similar firmware updates for higher end Nokias/WP. But I also found the amber alert annoying and then couldn't find from where to turn off.
    I get the alerts all the time, and it is on my HTC Trophy w/ 7.8... I am betting it's a carrier thing, though, because I don't remember enabling that.
    08-11-2013 03:52 PM
    How's that an excuse :) So you don't implement separate volume controls in 2013 justifying it with "hey, we just started, you can't expect common sense right away, wait 2 more years.."
    Its not an excuse, I'm just pointing it out you interpreted it as an excuse.
    08-11-2013 04:01 PM
    I'll say it again: I prefer a single device volume as opposed to individual volume profiles. So if you don't realize that you're talking about your personal usage patterns and preferences that other people might not share, then I have nothing else to say to you and I will watch with great mirth as you continue to impotently rage-gasm all over this thread.
    Which is fine, and you can keep that to yourself, because it totally doesn't make sense, completely opposite of how it should be..

You can put any flaw under that category then, can't you? "Well you can't have an app like AirDroid, why do you need that, you've got the cable that came with your phone don't you, use it" etc.. etc..
    Last edited by Boris Lozac; 08-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    08-11-2013 06:30 PM
    Which is fine, and you can keep that to yourself, because it totally doesn't make sense, completely opposite of how it should be..

You can put any flaw under that category then, can't you? "Well you can't have an app like AirDroid, why do you need that, you've got the cable that came with your phone, don't you, use it" etc.. etc..
    Why can't he express his opinion your free to express yours even if it is wrong. I'll tell you some things that are wrong. Every time I plug my LG Optimus G Pro in to my trucks auxiliary jack I have to turn the volume up on the phone because it automatically drops to 80%. Now that is stupid. Also on my OGP why does the Google Maps turn by turn directions dround out my phone calls? Is there a such thing as having to many choices? They over think things? The Windows Phone way just works and it works all the time at least it does for those people who are capable of using a volume button.
    iamtim and cckgz4 like this.
    08-11-2013 06:54 PM
    you can keep that to yourself
    Hypocrisy on top of intolerance? You're awesome! I'm done debating with you, you're no longer worth my time. I will laugh at your rage-gasm, however. :D
    08-11-2013 10:20 PM
    To the OP

That is really two questions. People think that these updates (GDR2/3) are not a big deal because these updates do not bring things they want or need for their phone. In fact these updates are huge deals because they will allow for the addition of newer much desired hardware availability to phone manufacturers. You say you like to have the Hero devices well WP OS is being upgraded to handle and make use of all that great new hardware that people want in their hero devices. Everybody has a list of "I want that on Windows Phone" items. I have a list of things I would like to see on WP and if I used Android or iPhone as my daily driver I would have a list for those devices as well. In the end it comes down to what does jkrc717 want and need from his phone. From here the debate will rage on who is better and why, what OS dose this and what OS does that. Its a fun topic to debate there are many threads where we have beaten this topic to death. The thing you need to know is this WP has the newest OS with the NT core it is the most adaptable and future ready OS on the market. If what you have now fits your needs then don't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride watch as WP will get updated with more options and the apps will get better and better. All of this takes time if you need something now that is missing from WP you might need to chose another OS but be ready for the differences. Each OS has advantages and disadvantages make sure you know what they are before you jump ship. Let me ask you this, why did you chose WP in the first place?
    Several reasons. Some might be a little silly.

I was a BB user. Very happy with it. I loved the physical keyboard, customization, email, messaging and BBM. They were so far behind the technology that I had to jump ship. They took way too long to come out with BB10. They were treading water and still are. Don't really want to be with a struggling company. Reliability is important to me and BB killed any trust I had. Never tried BB10. Not sure I like all the swiping, but since I've switched, the apps have become more important to me.

When I did make the switch, it was like day and night. I never thought it would be like that, but it was. I wasted a lot of time with BB missing out on so much more. There are some things that I miss about BB, but are not even a factor.

I chose WP because I like Nokia. Nokia was great for non smart phones. It''s also old school and that appealed to me. Never tried Symbian. To be honest, I didn't even know they existed until they went to WP. My first WP was the L900 less than month before the L920 came out. I had a month before I could switch phones so I wanted to get used to the Lumia with the 900 before I switched it for the 920.

I also wanted something different. I kind of got tired of hearing about IPhone and Android. IPhone was such a chick phone for me and Android was such a geek phone for me. That's pretty silly I know, but I don't like being a follower. However, I wasn't going to let the silliness be the deciding factor. WP8 was my only other option and I liked that it was up and coming.

When I was ready to switch it was around the time that all the new flag ship phone were coming out so it was perfect timing for me.

I was able to thoroughly research IPhone 5, Androids and the Lumia 920. All 3 had their pro's and con's, but all 3 seemed to be on the same playing field. None more superior than the other. For the exception of app quantity, but I also researched that and they had more than enough for my needs and growing.

So the deciding factor was not being a follower, something different, Nokia and live tiles.

ITunes is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to plug in my USB to my computer and transfer files.

I also like the build of the 920. The size and weight. The one thing that kills me is how it over heats and the battery.

Now I'm at a point were I'm not so sure anymore. I don't want to fall into that same BB situation I was in.

WP seems to now be behind IPhone and Android. Playing catch up. I'm not ok with this.

I understand GDR2/3 and more is coming. I understand they are and are going to get better, but I heard the same crap with BB for so long.

In the end, I want the best bang for my buck. I'm not out to support some company who doesn't even know I exist. I'm not about to play catch up either and wait.

All the other reasons for patiently waiting means nothing to me. Because I will always upgrade my phone to the new flagship phone. What I want is my current phone to be on the same level or ahead of everyone else now not later. Promises of "soon" or "coming" or "what to expect" or "why" does nothing for me. Being behind is not an option.

I am likely going to hold on to my 920 and wait to see what happens and decide when the new flagship phones come out. I am even thinking about getting the 1020, but no point if that's going to be behind also.

Time will tell, but they have to deliver soon. One more push back and I will jump ship the next day.
    08-12-2013 02:34 AM
    This the the third highest voted feature request on WP Uservoice. Your assertion is flawed.

Control ringtone and media volume separately
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    08-12-2013 04:12 AM
    Why can't he express his opinion your free to express yours even if it is wrong. I'll tell you some things that are wrong. Every time I plug my LG Optimus G Pro in to my trucks auxiliary jack I have to turn the volume up on the phone because it automatically drops to 80%. Now that is stupid. Also on my OGP why does the Google Maps turn by turn directions dround out my phone calls? Is there a such thing as having to many choices? They over think things? The Windows Phone way just works and it works all the time at least it does for those people who are capable of using a volume button.
    I was under the impression that this is to explore the OP's particular issues with WP - if we start comparing to Android, I'm sure there are many more shortcomings (perceived or otherwise) on WP's part that we can put forth. And being in a position of responsibility, I'd expect you to know that this is the #3 most requested feature on UserVoice, yes? That, to me, indicates that many people would like this as a feature and it would behoove MS to at least include it as an option, while leaving the default volume control to be Unified.
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    08-12-2013 04:15 AM
    Several reasons. Some might be a little silly.

I was a BB user. Very happy with it. I loved the physical keyboard, customization, email, messaging and BBM. They were so far behind the technology that I had to jump ship. They took way too long to come out with BB10. They were treading water and still are. Don't really want to be with a struggling company. Reliability is important to me and BB killed any trust I had. Never tried BB10. Not sure I like all the swiping, but since I've switched, the apps have become more important to me.

When I did make the switch, it was like day and night. I never thought it would be like that, but it was. I wasted a lot of time with BB missing out on so much more. There are some things that I miss about BB, but are not even a factor.

I chose WP because I like Nokia. Nokia was great for non smart phones. It''s also old school and that appealed to me. Never tried Symbian. To be honest, I didn't even know they existed until they went to WP. My first WP was the L900 less than month before the L920 came out. I had a month before I could switch phones so I wanted to get used to the Lumia with the 900 before I switched it for the 920.

I also wanted something different. I kind of got tired of hearing about IPhone and Android. IPhone was such a chick phone for me and Android was such a geek phone for me. That's pretty silly I know, but I don't like being a follower. However, I wasn't going to let the silliness be the deciding factor. WP8 was my only other option and I liked that it was up and coming.

When I was ready to switch it was around the time that all the new flag ship phone were coming out so it was perfect timing for me.

I was able to thoroughly research IPhone 5, Androids and the Lumia 920. All 3 had their pro's and con's, but all 3 seemed to be on the same playing field. None more superior than the other. For the exception of app quantity, but I also researched that and they had more than enough for my needs and growing.

So the deciding factor was not being a follower, something different, Nokia and live tiles.

ITunes is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to plug in my USB to my computer and transfer files.

I also like the build of the 920. The size and weight. The one thing that kills me is how it over heats and the battery.

Now I'm at a point were I'm not so sure anymore. I don't want to fall into that same BB situation I was in.

WP seems to now be behind IPhone and Android. Playing catch up. I'm not ok with this.

I understand GDR2/3 and more is coming. I understand they are and are going to get better, but I heard the same crap with BB for so long.

In the end, I want the best bang for my buck. I'm not out to support some company who doesn't even know I exist. I'm not about to play catch up either and wait.

All the other reasons for patiently waiting means nothing to me. Because I will always upgrade my phone to the new flagship phone. What I want is my current phone to be on the same level or ahead of everyone else now not later. Promises of "soon" or "coming" or "what to expect" or "why" does nothing for me. Being behind is not an option.

I am likely going to hold on to my 920 and wait to see what happens and decide when the new flagship phones come out. I am even thinking about getting the 1020, but no point if that's going to be behind also.

Time will tell, but they have to deliver soon. One more push back and I will jump ship the next day.
    I play around with all the other OS's just so I know what they have we don't. For me personally I say this.

"Nothing iPhone or Android can do is worth giving up what Windows Phone does better"

I was under the impression that this is to explore the OP's particular issues with WP - if we start comparing to Android, I'm sure there are many more shortcomings (perceived or otherwise) on WP's part that we can put forth. And being in a position of responsibility, I'd expect you to know that this is the #3 most requested feature on UserVoice, yes? That, to me, indicates that many people would like this as a feature and it would behoove MS to at least include it as an option, while leaving the default volume control to be Unified.
    I never said people don't want changes to how volume is handled. I simply use Android for and example of how I feel things shouldn't be done. All I wanted to say by quoting you was that we all have a right to our opinions. Just because 44,699 people out of the millions that have a Windows Phone want separate volume controls that doesn't mean it is going to happen. It also doesn't mean that a majority want it. Just don't dismiss someone because their opinion doesn't match yours. I hope Microsoft does something to give us all options.
    08-12-2013 06:13 AM
    Your assertion is flawed.
    My "assertion" is this: just because one person - or any number of people, for that matter - prefer a given feature, that does not mean that it is *necessary* for the platform. The only people who get to say what is *necessary* for the platform are the project managers and developers at Microsoft. Anything else is pure personal preference; neither you, nor the poster to whom I originally replied (not the OP, mind you), nor anyone else on this forum gets to tell me what is *necessary* for my use of the platform. Just like I don't get to tell you what's *necessary* for your use of the platform. So... your logic is flawed.
    08-12-2013 08:47 AM
    I never said people don't want changes to how volume is handled. I simply use Android for and example of how I feel things shouldn't be done. All I wanted to say by quoting you was that we all have a right to our opinions. Just because 44,699 people out of the millions that have a Windows Phone want separate volume controls that doesn't mean it is going to happen. It also doesn't mean that a majority want it. Just don't dismiss someone because their opinion doesn't match yours. I hope Microsoft does something to give us all options.
    Sure, that was one thing about Android that is not your preferred way of doing this. But don't you feel in situations like this (i.e. where someone wants an option, not a change, that would enhance the utility that the OS provides, we should support it? This is in my opinion a valid criticism, and making this available will only be good for WP. So, I feel we should all support it regardless of whether we personally want it or not.
    Boris Lozac and Dave Blake like this.
    08-12-2013 12:18 PM
    My "assertion" is this: just because one person - or any number of people, for that matter - prefer a given feature, that does not mean that it is *necessary* for the platform. The only people who get to say what is *necessary* for the platform are the project managers and developers at Microsoft. Anything else is pure personal preference; neither you, nor the poster to whom I originally replied (not the OP, mind you), nor anyone else on this forum gets to tell me what is *necessary* for my use of the platform. Just like I don't get to tell you what's *necessary* for your use of the platform. So... your logic is flawed.
    Of course, it was not 'necessary'. A platform doesn't get anywhere by having only what is 'necessary'. That way, smartphones in general are unnecessary - we don't 'need' them and many other things besides.

Any neutral observer would long ago have concluded that MS' WP devs (more likely their product managers, really) are either badly mismanaged or are imbeciles (even Nokia's leadership have expressed this opinion). The users have been complaining about the issues highlighted on Uservoice for the last three years, it's just plain shocking that any company would ignore their users that brazenly. As I pointed out to Dave above, any request for enhancements that come without you losing anything (as in this case) should be supported by the entire user base. It can only be a good thing for the platform, I feel.
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    08-12-2013 12:25 PM
    Of course, it was not 'necessary'.
    So... I never once said that anyone else's preferences were not worthy, nor did I insult anyone's preferences. As that was my only point, why were you arguing with me? Rage-gasm because I didn't fall in-line with the "multiple volume profiles" crowd? Or...?
    08-12-2013 12:42 PM
    You are missing out on nothing and Windows Phones also get Amber alerts.
    08-12-2013 12:58 PM
    As I pointed out to Dave above, any request for enhancements that come without you losing anything (as in this case) should be supported by the entire user base. It can only be a good thing for the platform, I feel.
    Sorry for replying to the same post twice, but I just saw this. All I can say is, "huh."

Do you also vote strictly along party lines, because that's what's good for the party?
    08-12-2013 09:19 PM
    You are missing out on nothing and Windows Phones also get Amber alerts.
    I never got one.
    08-12-2013 09:25 PM
    I want to apologize to everyone. Never meant for this thread to start arguments. I'm not experienced with IPhone or Android and just wanted to know if they have more to offer other than apps. As a consumer, I want the best bang for my buck.
    08-12-2013 09:27 PM
    I haven't found that setting in my iphone4S. I did receive that Amber Alert. I believe it is AT&T's firmware update compatible with certain models of phones. I am sure if AT&T wants, they can release similar firmware updates for higher end Nokias/WP. But I also found the amber alert annoying and then couldn't find from where to turn off.
    Yea my mom has a sprint 4s and it's located in her notifications setting. But I've read some people don't see the settings to enable or disable them. Must be based on location.
    08-13-2013 09:00 AM
    Sorry for replying to the same post twice, but I just saw this. All I can say is, "huh."

Do you also vote strictly along party lines, because that's what's good for the party?
    It's simple:

Let X be unified volume control. Let Y be separate controls. You want X. Many other people want Y. It could be hypothesised that some number of these people who want Y do not adopt WP because of lack of Y. Now MS wakes from their slumber and decides 'hey, we should add Y to WP and get more users!' (duh) and they add Y as an option. Now WP has X as well as Y.

Why do you have a problem with supporting someone else's request for Y? It honestly doesn't matter to me at this time, WP is far too limited for even a fraction of what I want a smartphone to do. What it can offer is not worth what I'd have to sacrifice, so I carry a Nexus 4.

I'm still interested in the platform and hope it will come to it's full potential soon, but I don't understand why users like you insist that what it has is enough when it is evident that a good number of people wish for this feature - if only because it was present on their previous phones and they're used to it.
    RJ G likes this.
    08-13-2013 01:27 PM
    It's simple
    Which doesn't answer my question. But that's OK, it wasn't really designed to be answered, just to show that supporting what you might not necessarily want for the good of the collective is silly.

Why do you have a problem with supporting someone else's request for Y?
    Because on every phone I've ever owned, multiple volume profiles has been a pain in my bung. Because I just prefer a single, device-level volume control. Because Windows Phone is built around simplicity, and I don't see why that simplicity should be monkeyed with. Why do you have a problem with me having my own preferences and speaking out about them? Isn't that the same thing you're doing? Why do you get to do that but I don't?

I don't understand why users like you insist that what it has is enough when it is evident that a good number of people wish for this feature
    And I don't understand why you insist I should support a feature I don't want. "I do not want this feature, but yes! You should totally add it because everyone else says so." That's the epitome of idiocy. Truly.

There are many feature requests I do want; separate volume profiles are not one of them.

Look... I get it. Separate volume profiles are your thing. Great, go with that. I don't slight you for your preferences. Aren't I due the same respect? A single volume control is my thing, and I'm going to go with that. You're not being asked to like it or support it, just to recognize that other people have different preferences than you do. Is it really that hard for you to agree to disagree?
    08-13-2013 03:36 PM
    As much as I love WP8, have a Ativ-S, 8X and a 8S... My primary phone is my HTC One Android. The One is awesome and the camera is a very capable 4mp camera, but a Lumia 1020 camera it is not. But it is truly a zero lag Android, quite a refreshing Android experience. I recommend the HTC One to anyone that wants zero lag and features that actually work nicely without Touchwiz complication and lag. But... Keep a WP, I think it is getting much better in 2014 with 8.1
    08-13-2013 03:43 PM
    A single volume control is my thing, and I'm going to go with that.
    We're not talking about million sliders if that's what's too complicated for you. Just when i lower the volume on the video, that it remembers it's for VIDEO, not ringtone?
    You maybe don't want to sound like that, but you come across as very annoying..
    RJ G likes this.
    08-13-2013 05:05 PM
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE stop arguing about volume control.

WP8 Doesn't even have USB tethering. WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even feature phones use to have that.
    08-13-2013 05:10 PM
90 1234