Why do people think GDR2/3 is not a big deal? What's missing? Thinking of jumping ship.. need help

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I never owned an android or iphone. I came straight from BB.

People are patiently or impatiently waiting for GDR2 and then GDR3, but everyone says the updates are peanuts.

They look like really good updates to me. Doesn't seem like peanuts to me.

However, like i said, I never owned an IPhone or Android so what is WP missing? Obviously the the quantity of apps, but WP has great apps, nokia has great apps and I never not found an app I was looking for. Lucky for me I can give two chits about instagram.

For the exception of APP quantity, I thought that WP was on the same level as IP and Android and in some ways better with Nokia and the camera.

So what is WP missing? What am i missing out on?

I am the kinda of guy who wants a flagship phone. I want any and all benefits. All the perks. I'm not out to support any billion dollar business'. I could care less who's #1, 2, 3 or 4. This is why I left blackberry. It makes no sense to me why anyone would own a blackberry.

I chose WP8 cuz i like Nokia and I like live tiles.

So what am I missing guys? Do I stay or jump ship? Hopefully I get some unbias advice.

I was with a friend who has an IPhone 5 and he received an amber alert out of no where. His phone just starting speaking. I thought that was cool.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
From as far as i know, you're missing out on very little, i don't use social networks so Windows Phone is perfect for me. :)

GDR 2 and GDR 3 are quite major to me, as they'll bring a more competitive variety to Windows Phone.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

People are patiently or impatiently waiting for GDR2 and then GDR3, but everyone says the updates are peanuts.

However, like i said, I never owned an IPhone or Android so what is WP missing? Obviously the the quantity of apps, but WP has great apps, nokia has great apps and I never not found an app I was looking for. Lucky for me I can give two chits about instagram.

For the exception of APP quantity, I thought that WP was on the same level as IP and Android and in some ways better with Nokia and the camera.

I am the kinda of guy who wants a flagship phone. I want any and all benefits. All the perks. I'm not out to support any billion dollar business'. I could care less who's #1, 2, 3 or 4. This is why I left blackberry. It makes no sense to me why anyone would own a blackberry.

So what am I missing guys? Do I stay or jump ship? Hopefully I get some unbias advice.

I was with a friend who has an IPhone 5 and he received an amber alert out of no where. His phone just starting speaking. I thought that was cool.

wow we are so similar... I don't care if I'm with number one, I don't care about instagram and I'm fine with the gdr updates...

Oh and I really like nokia :) (L800>L920)

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Only standout issues for me are the lack of orientation lock and independent volume control. They are the things I'd need most.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
From as far as i know, you're missing out on very little, i don't use social networks so Windows Phone is perfect for me. :)

GDR 2 and GDR 3 are quite major to me, as they'll bring a more competitive variety to Windows Phone.

you don't use social! Then WP is perfect for you! You have no idea how to use ur phone. It was Microsoft's number one design function to put people/ social first on your screen!

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

Visit Feature Suggestions: Top (32404 ideas) and you will know what are missing from WP... You will know what android have and WP haven't. There are a bunch of necessary features are missing from WP:
1. There is no File Manager.
2. Browsers don't download files straight into device, but to SkyDrive.
3. You can't close apps on task manager as like on iPhone and Android.
4. Media and Ringer volumes are same. So that there is 50% chance to miss your incoming calls.
5. SD card is read only. No apps have full support to SD card.
6. No Notification Center as like iPhone and Android., and even there is no Notification indicator(Blink LED).
7. Large and major thing is the 'Other Storage' kills all phone storage. It takes about 1.5-2GB of Available 4.8GB., ON Nokia Lumia (520,620,720).
8. We can't download Torrents on Mobile as like Android and Symbian. There are apps like wpTorrent, but the downloaded torrent file resides in apps' storage, and we can't transfer it to our PC. WTF!!!!!!
9. Another most frustrating thing is lack of Official Apps like Facebook, GMail, Gtalk, YouTube, Instagram, Google Maps, etc.

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
How come a wp8 firmware update pass thru apple iphone 5? Strange isn't it, just what TS explained, i am never after a lot of apps in the market, i just checked what will suit my needs, as we all know that storage is one of the issues MS is still trying to figure out so it is best that you choose what serves you well and keep the garbage out. If you came from a system that offers a mountain of apps that everybody was trying to use, honestly MS will disappoint you bec it is not what you think it is but how you appreciate the small things MS could offer.

sision

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are satisfied with your current device I don't see why you should jump ship especially when you dont know what other features you are missing out on.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
you don't use social! Then WP is perfect for you! You have no idea how to use ur phone. It was Microsoft's number one design function to put people/ social first on your screen!
I know how to use my phone perfectly, thank you very much.
Am i supposed to have a Facebook, twitter or instagram account to know how to fully use my phone?

preludepunk27

May 25, 2013
Visit site
As a Verizon customer, the ONLY reason I'm going insane for the GDR2 update is for Verizon to reactivate Group Messaging. The OP may be on AT&T or something, but I know 100% of Verizon Windows OS customers are frustrated as hell. I get at least 2 group text conversations a day that I literally don't respond to because Verizon sucks.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Only standout issues for me are the lack of orientation lock and independent volume control. They are the things I'd need most.

Totally agree on both. Volume control, come on MS, that's a no-brainer. Isn't the orientation lock coming in the update later this year?

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What am i missing out on?

What you missing out:
iPhone: only choice of one tiny phone (yes, it is tiny in today's standard). Saves your brain cell to pick and choose.

Android: you can finally experience what Android stuttering is all about even on a 8-core phone.

BTW, when I was using either Windows Mobile (yes, WM has independent volume control before anyone else) or Android, the independent volume control is the thing I hated most. Followed by Android notifications bar/center.

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Can't help but notice why MS update is just a small improvement and different date of release by region and phone model, that is why some phone users feel neglected.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Can't help but notice why MS update is just a small improvement and different date of release by region and phone model, that is why some phone users feel neglected.

If you read threads on this board, there are apparently hardware differences that need to be accounted for in the operating system. Some people have reported that the GDR2 update totally disabled their phone, while others report no problems, and I think it is somewhat hardware related. I'm sorry you feel neglected, boo-hoo, but if there are major issues with the update, wouldn't you prefer to limp along with what you've got and let them get it right?

3vgj8i.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb