Why do people think GDR2/3 is not a big deal? What's missing? Thinking of jumping ship.. need help

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
To the OP

That is really two questions. People think that these updates (GDR2/3) are not a big deal because these updates do not bring things they want or need for their phone. In fact these updates are huge deals because they will allow for the addition of newer much desired hardware availability to phone manufacturers. You say you like to have the Hero devices well WP OS is being upgraded to handle and make use of all that great new hardware that people want in their hero devices. Everybody has a list of "I want that on Windows Phone" items. I have a list of things I would like to see on WP and if I used Android or iPhone as my daily driver I would have a list for those devices as well. In the end it comes down to what does jkrc717 want and need from his phone. From here the debate will rage on who is better and why, what OS dose this and what OS does that. Its a fun topic to debate there are many threads where we have beaten this topic to death. The thing you need to know is this WP has the newest OS with the NT core it is the most adaptable and future ready OS on the market. If what you have now fits your needs then don't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride watch as WP will get updated with more options and the apps will get better and better. All of this takes time if you need something now that is missing from WP you might need to chose another OS but be ready for the differences. Each OS has advantages and disadvantages make sure you know what they are before you jump ship. Let me ask you this, why did you chose WP in the first place?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Visit Feature Suggestions: Top (32404 ideas) and you will know what are missing from WP... You will know what android have and WP haven't. There are a bunch of necessary features are missing from WP:

1. There is no File Manager.

1. IOS as far as am aware has no native file manager either (needs third party apps)

2. Browsers don't download files straight into device, but to SkyDrive.

2.Try the UC Browser this downloads to the phone, granted its not accessible but still it is store locally and not in the cloud.

3. You can't close apps on task manager as like on iPhone and Android.

3. IOS has no Task manager - you must hold the home button and hold the app to close but it is no task manager. Granted this simply more effective than pressing the back button a numerous times on WP.

4. Media and Ringer volumes are same. So that there is 50% chance to miss your incoming calls.

4. It strikes how many people don't yet realise you can set custom ringtones - see screenshots attached & Link http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-ringtones/201810-ringtones-wp8.html. Also you can change the tones for the other alerts its not like everyone is confined to the same single tone.. sheesh

5. SD card is read only. No apps have full support to SD card.
Similar to Android see video How to install Android Apps on SD CARD by default without rooting - YouTube.

6. No Notification Center as like iPhone and Android., and even there is no Notification indicator(Blink LED).
Yes that is correct it should have been baked in, I agree - I'm not going to speculate on rumours.

7. Large and major thing is the 'Other Storage' kills all phone storage. It takes about 1.5-2GB of Available 4.8GB., ON Nokia Lumia (520,620,720).
GDR2 should address this issue but I'm not certain.

8. We can't download Torrents on Mobile as like Android and Symbian. There are apps like wpTorrent, but the downloaded torrent file resides in apps' storage, and we can't transfer it to our PC. WTF!!!!!!

Why are you downloading torrents on a device with limited storage in the first place???
Haven't you given any thought what would happen if you invariably download a virus and end up affecting a PC when you plug in your phone?
Sure your antivirus may pick it up but what if it does not? lol

9. Another most frustrating thing is lack of Official Apps like Facebook, GMail, Gtalk, YouTube, Instagram, Google Maps, etc.

Third Party apps, like Metrotube, mytube, instance, 6tagram, will often will be more polished then official Apps as that is their bread and butter. Also the Facebook app developed by MS themselves is constantly being updated. Sure it has some functions missing its because these companies need to allow API Access. However I do not see Google changing their stance any time soon or instagram, Facebook - that is a dark horse. It appears to me they are struggling to "stay neutral".

However like the OP I couldn't care who is 1# but having used Windows Mobile 6.x, Android and IOS and Blackberry (prior to BB10 - the display models I used just crashed shockingly). To me simply WP is breath of fresh air and meets my needs, also the most under rated feature - Rooms is a boon It makes life so much easier.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130811_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130811_0001.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Ringtone Folder.png
    Ringtone Folder.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 3

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Its really simple. Build out, and try and expand your product as much as you like, but if you don't have the basic features that your competitors have, that your customers want, you won't sell anything.

It sounds like Joe Belfiore is just jaded in his assumption that all their current user base is somehow less of an immediate need than future customers who may or may not even want your product.

I'm a WP fan, and use my 928 daily, but I am becoming more and more irritated by their lack of urgency to fix glaring flaws and add needed features. Heck, maybe they're ok with mediocrity, what do I know.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Its really simple. Build out, and try and expand your product as much as you like, but if you don't have the basic features that your competitors have, that your customers want, you won't sell anything.

It sounds like Joe Belfiore is just jaded in his assumption that all their current user base is somehow less of an immediate need than future customers who may or may not even want your product.

I'm a WP fan, and use my 928 daily, but I am becoming more and more irritated by their lack of urgency to fix glaring flaws and add needed features. Heck, maybe they're ok with mediocrity, what do I know.

Average Joe has more than what he expects from a smartphone. So average Joe will buy it at right price eg Nokia buyback success in India. MSFT has deep pockets, they can afford to go slow and in right direction.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
People also tend to forget that, the features they are used to on android and ios also came down the pipeline in updates.

How's that an excuse :) So you don't implement separate volume controls in 2013 justifying it with "hey, we just started, you can't expect common sense right away, wait 2 more years.."

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Aren't you a proper ******.

No, I'm not. But "******" is the insult of choice for those who have nothing of substance to add but want to rage-gasm over a dissenting opinion. So I'm not surprised you played the "******" card.

People are expressing very valid flaws of the system

Which is totally fine. However, there's a difference between "I really want orientation lock" (for instance) and "it's necessary for Windows Phone to have orientation lock". The former is an opinion based in personal preference, the latter is a presumptuous assumption of the usage patterns of all users. If you can't accept that many people couldn't care less about orientation lock (or multiple volume profiles, or a whole host of other things) - which makes it entirely NOT a necessity for the platform - then you are as closed-minded as the ****** you accuse me of being.

All I'm saying is that there's a HUGE difference between "I want this feature" and "this feature is a requirement for the platform."

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
You do realise the difference beatween a minor request and a goddamn idiotism that when you lower some ultra loud YT video, that you then have to (if you don't forget) increase the ringtone volume later on, some videos I watch are very loud, even on 2, 3 volume i can hear it pretty well, but 2, 3 is useless for a ringtone..

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
It won't take long for average Joe to be annoyed by a constant rotating screen, or volume profiles, even not having custom SMS tones. My bet is it would take them less than the 14 days they have to return it.

I love WP, and it works well enough for me, but it is starting to wear thin. I am aware of how bare iOS and Android were at one time too, I used them both for awhile. Difference is though this isn't 2009 anymore, the smartphone has matured and I doubt either one would overlook what they lack just to try and grow in numbers. They have 2 years to get it right before contracts are up and people wash the sour taste of wp8 out.

I do agree with iamtim on most of his thoughts though.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You do realise the difference beatween a minor request and a goddamn idiotism that when you lower some ultra loud YT video, that you then have to (if you don't forget) increase the ringtone volume later on, some videos I watch are very loud, even on 2, 3 volume i can hear it pretty well, but 2, 3 is useless for a ringtone..

I'll say it again: I prefer a single device volume as opposed to individual volume profiles. So if you don't realize that you're talking about your personal usage patterns and preferences that other people might not share, then I have nothing else to say to you and I will watch with great mirth as you continue to impotently rage-gasm all over this thread.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I also like having a master volume control as opposed to controls for multiple profiles. I know that with Android, I'd constantly have to change the configurations several times a day which is a pain IMO. It's so easy to use the master control on WP and you can change it quickly between video, music, notification etc. It's separate from the control for when you are using the phone to listen to the person on the other end, but I keep it on 10 all the time anyways.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found that setting in my iphone4S. I did receive that Amber Alert. I believe it is AT&T's firmware update compatible with certain models of phones. I am sure if AT&T wants, they can release similar firmware updates for higher end Nokias/WP. But I also found the amber alert annoying and then couldn't find from where to turn off.
I get the alerts all the time, and it is on my HTC Trophy w/ 7.8... I am betting it's a carrier thing, though, because I don't remember enabling that.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll say it again: I prefer a single device volume as opposed to individual volume profiles. So if you don't realize that you're talking about your personal usage patterns and preferences that other people might not share, then I have nothing else to say to you and I will watch with great mirth as you continue to impotently rage-gasm all over this thread.

Which is fine, and you can keep that to yourself, because it totally doesn't make sense, completely opposite of how it should be..

You can put any flaw under that category then, can't you? "Well you can't have an app like AirDroid, why do you need that, you've got the cable that came with your phone don't you, use it" etc.. etc..

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Which is fine, and you can keep that to yourself, because it totally doesn't make sense, completely opposite of how it should be..

You can put any flaw under that category then, can't you? "Well you can't have an app like AirDroid, why do you need that, you've got the cable that came with your phone, don't you, use it" etc.. etc..

Why can't he express his opinion your free to express yours even if it is wrong. I'll tell you some things that are wrong. Every time I plug my LG Optimus G Pro in to my trucks auxiliary jack I have to turn the volume up on the phone because it automatically drops to 80%. Now that is stupid. Also on my OGP why does the Google Maps turn by turn directions dround out my phone calls? Is there a such thing as having to many choices? They over think things? The Windows Phone way just works and it works all the time at least it does for those people who are capable of using a volume button.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
To the OP

That is really two questions. People think that these updates (GDR2/3) are not a big deal because these updates do not bring things they want or need for their phone. In fact these updates are huge deals because they will allow for the addition of newer much desired hardware availability to phone manufacturers. You say you like to have the Hero devices well WP OS is being upgraded to handle and make use of all that great new hardware that people want in their hero devices. Everybody has a list of "I want that on Windows Phone" items. I have a list of things I would like to see on WP and if I used Android or iPhone as my daily driver I would have a list for those devices as well. In the end it comes down to what does jkrc717 want and need from his phone. From here the debate will rage on who is better and why, what OS dose this and what OS does that. Its a fun topic to debate there are many threads where we have beaten this topic to death. The thing you need to know is this WP has the newest OS with the NT core it is the most adaptable and future ready OS on the market. If what you have now fits your needs then don't worry about it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride watch as WP will get updated with more options and the apps will get better and better. All of this takes time if you need something now that is missing from WP you might need to chose another OS but be ready for the differences. Each OS has advantages and disadvantages make sure you know what they are before you jump ship. Let me ask you this, why did you chose WP in the first place?

Several reasons. Some might be a little silly.

I was a BB user. Very happy with it. I loved the physical keyboard, customization, email, messaging and BBM. They were so far behind the technology that I had to jump ship. They took way too long to come out with BB10. They were treading water and still are. Don't really want to be with a struggling company. Reliability is important to me and BB killed any trust I had. Never tried BB10. Not sure I like all the swiping, but since I've switched, the apps have become more important to me.

When I did make the switch, it was like day and night. I never thought it would be like that, but it was. I wasted a lot of time with BB missing out on so much more. There are some things that I miss about BB, but are not even a factor.

I chose WP because I like Nokia. Nokia was great for non smart phones. It''s also old school and that appealed to me. Never tried Symbian. To be honest, I didn't even know they existed until they went to WP. My first WP was the L900 less than month before the L920 came out. I had a month before I could switch phones so I wanted to get used to the Lumia with the 900 before I switched it for the 920.

I also wanted something different. I kind of got tired of hearing about IPhone and Android. IPhone was such a chick phone for me and Android was such a geek phone for me. That's pretty silly I know, but I don't like being a follower. However, I wasn't going to let the silliness be the deciding factor. WP8 was my only other option and I liked that it was up and coming.

When I was ready to switch it was around the time that all the new flag ship phone were coming out so it was perfect timing for me.

I was able to thoroughly research IPhone 5, Androids and the Lumia 920. All 3 had their pro's and con's, but all 3 seemed to be on the same playing field. None more superior than the other. For the exception of app quantity, but I also researched that and they had more than enough for my needs and growing.

So the deciding factor was not being a follower, something different, Nokia and live tiles.

ITunes is a deal breaker for me. I want to be able to plug in my USB to my computer and transfer files.

I also like the build of the 920. The size and weight. The one thing that kills me is how it over heats and the battery.

Now I'm at a point were I'm not so sure anymore. I don't want to fall into that same BB situation I was in.

WP seems to now be behind IPhone and Android. Playing catch up. I'm not ok with this.

I understand GDR2/3 and more is coming. I understand they are and are going to get better, but I heard the same crap with BB for so long.

In the end, I want the best bang for my buck. I'm not out to support some company who doesn't even know I exist. I'm not about to play catch up either and wait.

All the other reasons for patiently waiting means nothing to me. Because I will always upgrade my phone to the new flagship phone. What I want is my current phone to be on the same level or ahead of everyone else now not later. Promises of "soon" or "coming" or "what to expect" or "why" does nothing for me. Being behind is not an option.

I am likely going to hold on to my 920 and wait to see what happens and decide when the new flagship phones come out. I am even thinking about getting the 1020, but no point if that's going to be behind also.

Time will tell, but they have to deliver soon. One more push back and I will jump ship the next day.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

This the the third highest voted feature request on WP Uservoice. Your assertion is flawed.

Control ringtone and media volume separately

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Why can't he express his opinion your free to express yours even if it is wrong. I'll tell you some things that are wrong. Every time I plug my LG Optimus G Pro in to my trucks auxiliary jack I have to turn the volume up on the phone because it automatically drops to 80%. Now that is stupid. Also on my OGP why does the Google Maps turn by turn directions dround out my phone calls? Is there a such thing as having to many choices? They over think things? The Windows Phone way just works and it works all the time at least it does for those people who are capable of using a volume button.

I was under the impression that this is to explore the OP's particular issues with WP - if we start comparing to Android, I'm sure there are many more shortcomings (perceived or otherwise) on WP's part that we can put forth. And being in a position of responsibility, I'd expect you to know that this is the #3 most requested feature on UserVoice, yes? That, to me, indicates that many people would like this as a feature and it would behoove MS to at least include it as an option, while leaving the default volume control to be Unified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)