Why do people think GDR2/3 is not a big deal? What's missing? Thinking of jumping ship.. need help

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So you watch a video, that is pretty loud, maybe a 'private' video of your own (oh wait you wouldn't keep that on the phone since you can't hide it), you lower it's volume, and ALWAYS remember to increase it for the ringtone? 25/30 is what's minimum for me to hear the phone in my pocket, on the pubic street/transport etc.. But 25/30 for videos/music on speakerphone is earblowing...

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you watch a video

Well, first, I don't watch videos on my phone. I have a laptop and a tablet for that. However, let's assume for the purposes of this discussion that I did...

you lower it's volume, and ALWAYS remember to increase it for the ringtone?

Yes. Not only is changing the volume brain-dead simple, it's also how almost every other device we use on a regular basis works. Commercials too loud on your TV? Turn the volume down, turn it back up when the commercials are over. Car stereo not loud enough with the windows down? Turn the volume up, turn it back down when you roll the windows up.

You don't forget to do that, do you? You don't suffer because the volume is up too loud, do you? No, you adjust the volume. Many times without thinking... your hand almost instinctively grabs the remote, or turns the dial.

This is such a simple thing, such an individualized thing, that I'm almost starting to think you're winding me up on purpose for S&Gs.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That's totally apples and oranges. When the commercials are over you will be reminded to turn the volume up by not freaking hearing a thing :) When you roll the window down, you are REMINDED to turn the stereo up cause you DON'T HEAR your favorite song.
On the phone, the only thing that reminds you that the volume is down, is when you see a missed call, maybe a very important one..

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Back to the thread at hand!

Yeah, my apologies for letting someone bait me so badly and sending the thread so far out of control. I've added him to my ignore list so it won't happen again.

Back to the OP's original question, I'll be honest, I don't know what Amber or GDR2 is supposed to fix or introduce. When I had my first L920 back in November, it was problematic and I was gnashing my teeth over how long the Portico update took (which really wasn't a long time, I was just all "Grr! Argh!" over it). My new L920 - which I got about two weeks ago - is not problematic in any way. Sure, there are some OS features I'd like to have (VPN primarily), but I'm not watching or waiting for an update to fix some random problem right now.

If you're happy with your phone, it works the way you want it to work, and it seems problem-free, I wouldn't worry too much about Amber or GDR2 until your phone tells you it's available. :)

j rr

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
He dosent watch videos, he dosent care about having it easier, he loves WP just the way it is. Heck wp im starting to believe that if windows comes up with the idea that you can only choose a brigthness level he would be happy with it... Cool for him, we are nobody to tell him what to like.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think that a good 60% of people cry about updates just for the sake of crying. It's something new and they want it and don't understand why it's not out. IMO, second to iOS, Windows Phone does a pretty good job of rolling out updates. Just wanted to vent about that

But please jump ship for functionality, not out of boredom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos