10-02-2013 09:50 AM
43 12
tools
    As far as task killers on Android I don't believe they have been necessary since 2.2 came out. I've never killed an app unless it was a rogue app that I installed.
    09-01-2013 04:39 PM
    Being an user of HTC One and Lumia 925, there are couples of things which I do hope to see on Windows Phone:

1. Centralized Notification: Yes, some may argue that live tiles served them well. But not to me at least. I'm not buying into the idea of swiping up and down to see which tile got flipped with new events. I prefer the phone doing the job and telling what something new has happened, rather than I'm the one who seeking for updates. Toast messages come and go like wind, not the ideal way of informing the end user too. The lock screen has notification placeholders, good but not enough with someone like me who has quite an amount of apps installed. I hope it will be flexible instead of defining what to be displayed, just like the notification bar on top of Android.

2. A list of installed apps: I hope to see a list of installed apps under my collection in the Market Store app. In this way, I can see what are the updates available for all the apps I installed. Yes, the store live tile will update me if there are updates, but it is not working well at all. There are times when apps are having new updates, but the tile is not reporting it. Manual updating is tedious if I need to search for each app in the store.

3. Turning off GPS totally: Can it be done now? I do not see such option though. Now and then I do see my 925 checking for location although I'm not using any location based apps.

4. Switches toggles: For Wifi, Bluetooth, tap & send, etc. I know there are apps which allows me to pin shortcuts to these functions on start screen. But why would I waste the space of pinning these shortcuts if I can access them from the notification center area just like Android? These are static shortcuts after all.

5. Use of file manager: MS can continue to keep the system areas protected, but at least give the user the options of renaming / moving files, folders creation, and attaching any file types for email or sharing onto the cloud. Smart phones will need to work like one.

I know it may seems like I'm speaking from the view of Android rather than Windows Phone. But there are things which I think they will enhance the user experience of using WP. But I think MS may not even encourage the use of notification center because it seems to be going against the idea of having live tiles on Windows Phone.
    Alex_Hong, sHAYM4N and _X_ like this.
    09-02-2013 02:58 AM
    Being an user of HTC One and Lumia 925, there are couples of things which I do hope to see on Windows Phone:

1. Centralized Notification: Yes, some may argue that live tiles served them well. But not to me at least. I'm not buying into the idea of swiping up and down to see which tile got flipped with new events. I prefer the phone doing the job and telling what something new has happened, rather than I'm the one who seeking for updates. Toast messages come and go like wind, not the ideal way of informing the end user too. The lock screen has notification placeholders, good but not enough with someone like me who has quite an amount of apps installed. I hope it will be flexible instead of defining what to be displayed, just like the notification bar on top of Android.
    Totally agree on the notifications. One thing I think would be of a big benefit (and something I'm loving with the nexus 4) is the notification light, would be great to see MS add this to their list of device requirements for 8.1 devices.

Whilst the more simplistic approach of WP is refreshing at times, I think there's room for more here. Would also at least to see more informative indicators than the scrolling box animation. Some situations it is useful to know exactly what the phone is doing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-02-2013 03:12 AM
    Are you still unable to customize notification sounds or has that been fixed? Also, you do know that you are able to choose which sounds you want for your notifications, right? You aren't stuck with one like Windows Phone, at least back from when I had my 920.
    09-02-2013 03:42 AM
    I'm currently using swift key on my tablet and phone. I've tried many keyboards and none of them seem as good as the WP keyboard to me.
    Okay so yesterday I bought my daughter the Lumia 521. I'm not seeing the WP keyboard love. It's not a bad keyboard, as good as the iPhone. But the android keyboards are much better. This includes stock, SwiftKey, and Swype.

It might depende on what people are looking for or accustomed to but the predictive keyboard and auto correct of SwiftKey can't be beat. Being an awful speller, I need this feature.
    09-03-2013 11:09 AM
    Like any keyboard probably takes time to get used to. I'm slowly getting used to Android stock.. Think its the spacing, layout and responsiveness of the wp keyboard that works for me, not any particular feature. The iOS keyboard I don't get on with, symbol layout makes little sense, and the default capitalisation behaviour is a pain to say the least. Will check out swift.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    09-03-2013 11:34 AM
    Okay so yesterday I bought my daughter the Lumia 521. I'm not seeing the WP keyboard love. It's not a bad keyboard, as good as the iPhone. But the android keyboards are much better. This includes stock, SwiftKey, and Swype.

It might depende on what people are looking for or accustomed to but the predictive keyboard and auto correct of SwiftKey can't be beat. Being an awful speller, I need this feature.

I find swiftkey is better on the phone than tablet, but I still prefer the WP keyboard. For me it is better all around. It could be because I've been using the same keyboard for two years now.
    09-03-2013 11:37 AM
    Got rid of my Lumia 900 last month in favor of an HTC One X. Couldn't get with it at all (I've owned the G1, My Touch, Prevail, Captivate Glide, GS2, and GS2 Skyrocket before the Lumia 900, so as far as Android I'm pretty familiar with the OS and both low-end and high-end devices). I'd become so used to the fluidity, the beauty, and the general functionality of the Lumia 900 that the One X was a horrid pain and especially after updating it Jelly Bean 4.1. I don't even want to discuss all the problems I would have with simply trying to make back to back calls. Anyway, I'd began looking to sell or trade that thing out right away for a Lumia 920 or 925. I bypassed the 520 (wasn't that desperate as the 520/521 seemed more like a downgrade from my 900 and I couldn't see myself actually being happy with it). I was at a cross at whether or not I should go for the 92X or settle for a BB 9900 (to me no matter what a phone can do, it is nothing without pure functionality - seriously). I didn't want an iPhone, though, in terms of fluidity it was the closest thing to WP and I probably would've even settled on that. Anyhow, I during my search I found a great a deal on a Nexus 4. I'd read reviews and lots on vanilla Android and decided to give the platform one more shot. I have to say I am very pleased with stock Android. I haven't thought too much about my old Lumia 900. My Lumia had spoiled me in terms of design and looks. I've had the matte black and my last was the glossy white and if I must say so myself, those things are just plain gorgeous (my opinon). It feels and looks premium. So, those were two things that, somehow after owning a Lumia, became important to me. And, while people say that the HTC One X is beautiful is had nothing on the matte finish of the Lumia. Sorry for those who actually like the design of the HOX. My next main thing is functionality. I picked up the Nexus 4 with it already being updated to Jellybean. 4.3 and No. Lag. Whatsoever. Again, I am spoiled after using a Lumia and can't deal with lag or stutters. It is a pleasure to actually see an Android device that doesn't suffer from this as all my previous flagships had this issues. Even using my sister's Galaxy S3 is annoying. It just seems like the majority of Android devices don't run as smoothly as WP or IOS, which is now how I can see why so many people choose to stick with their iPhones... With my Nexus, however, this isn't an issue. I often forget even how much have open on the device as it doesn't slow down.Typing. Well, I've never used a touchscreen that is better for texting and email than the Lumia. They say the Z10 may be better, but that is yet to be seen as I have not used one. So the Nexus doesn't beat the Lumia right out of the box. Overall, I am very pleased with the Nexus and while it may not be as sturdy as my old Lumia (that thing was built like a tank), I still don't find myself as reminiscent of WP as I was when I had the HOX. That may change with time. We'll see. But as of now, I am thoroughly pleased with the Nexus. I'm actually comfortable enough to personalize it, which I never got comfortable enough to do with the HOX.
    09-07-2013 11:07 AM
    Gotta chime in with the notifications though - I think WP has it about right. I came from 4 years in the Droid world, and work with more iPhones than I care to count at work. First thing I would do, on either my phone or a work phone I was setting up, WAS TURN OFF ALL THE D**N NOTIFICATIONS! Then I would get with the user and enable what they really wanted one by one. On my phone I only enabled email notifications (besides text and voice mail). I have enough nag in my life, I don't want/need my phone adding to it - I control it, it doesn't control me.

The only thing I would add to notifications is a hardware LED in order to be aware of notifications without activating the phone. Even then, I'm not entirely sold on that concept - I like the concept of a "quiet" device that I initiate the contact. Still, the hardware LED is also handy at times as well.

Future Nokia Glance enhancements - notifications on the Glance screen - will likely hit the right spot for what I want.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    09-13-2013 10:44 AM
    Let's be honest with each other here, currently all mobile phone stink at multitasking. So the discussion she not be about which is better but what sucks less.

Actually I think BlackBerry might have done it right on BB10.
    The Note3 I will be picking up next week does actual multitasking. You can split the screen in half, or you can have a pen window where you can put some predetermined apps inside of and float them on top of your current full screen app. I am not 100% sure of what apps work, but I know calculator does because that is what all the reviewers have shown so far.
    09-24-2013 02:34 PM
    The Note3 I will be picking up next week does actual multitasking. You can split the screen in half, or you can have a pen window where you can put some predetermined apps inside of and float them on top of your current full screen app. I am not 100% sure of what apps work, but I know calculator does because that is what all the reviewers have shown so far.
    The Note3 is a sweet phone, I have the Note 2. You can do that on the S4 and Note 2.
    While it's a nice feature it's limited to only apps that support that feature. Not applicable across all Android apps. The same goes for their floating apps which is even a smaller list of apps.

But even if all android apps supported this feature it's still limited one can only ever have two apps running simultaneously. If there was a way to pin an app that would be great.
    09-24-2013 07:05 PM
    Hmm, in the videos I have watched the split screen sounded like it worked with any app you have on the left side app list. Whatever that pull out is called on the left. Seems like the pen window is only for simple apps. Though from videos it looks like it supports the internet being in it. Chat, contacts, calc, youtube, not sure what else is available in it. I hope samsung lets any developer interested have the ability to use this awesome feature.
    09-25-2013 11:28 AM
    Yes that is true but you can't put any app on that list. Well you can if you root the phone. (I have my phone rooted and it works for most apps)

Samsung is real good about opening up their API to developers. It's to their advantage. The issue is having developers interested in Samsung.

For me I'm fortune, most apps that are must support Samsung's API
    09-25-2013 03:59 PM
    Whilst there is a ton of crap on android, and the frustrations of having too much customisation can be a distraction, already finding things I just wish windows phone did right.
    Please can you explain "the frustrations of having too much customisation can be a distraction"?
    09-25-2013 05:54 PM
    The thread title pulled me here.
    10-02-2013 05:55 AM
    Please can you explain "the frustrations of having too much customisation can be a distraction"?
    Just do a similar setup in a phone (picture attached below)
    How old are you btw?

10-02-2013 05:57 AM
    The thread title pulled me here.
    You sure it's the thread title? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-02-2013 06:33 AM
    You sure it's the thread title? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah I thought its about the OP having a tiff with his wife or gf, something like that lol.
    You know I have a weird imagination.
    10-02-2013 09:50 AM
43 12