HTC One makes me want to switch to Android

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Just google "htc one lag", period.
Am not saying htc one is pants, but if you expect it to be blazing fast with time, you are miles away from reality.
Thanks to the sticky glue OS, it'll sometimes show signs of lag.

Every OS does This, My windows phone lags from time to time but just like iOS it doesn't get clogged so easily so it remains fast and stable afterwards

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Every OS does This, My windows phone lags from time to time but just like iOS it doesn't get clogged so easily so it remains fast and stable afterwards
I understand that every OS lags, but Android needs more polishing and fine tuning from its makers, period.
Once you buy HTC, you'll never be supported again
"Shot in the head without leaving any blood stains" award winner, congrats because you put it the right way.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Just google "htc one lag", period.
Am not saying htc one is pants, but if you expect it to be blazing fast with time, you are miles away from reality.
Thanks to the sticky glue OS, it'll sometimes show signs of lag.

Genuine question - why does a little 'lag' matter?
I haven't used the HTC One so I can't comment on that. I tried Windows Phone on a few Lumias in a shop recently. It didn't strike me as faster than Android (even cheap devices), but the UI is smoother than some cheap Android devices - less stuttering in animations. However, when you start an app, it takes just as long to start up as Android, often longer. The only difference is that the UI reacts more quickly to show a "waiting" screen.
I found IE to be dog slow - really dire performance on page rendering compared to cheap Androids.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Genuine question - why does a little 'lag' matter?
I haven't used the HTC One so I can't comment on that. I tried Windows Phone on a few Lumias in a shop recently. It didn't strike me as faster than Android (even cheap devices), but the UI is smoother than some cheap Android devices - less stuttering in animations. However, when you start an app, it takes just as long to start up as Android, often longer. The only difference is that the UI reacts more quickly to show a "waiting" screen.
I found IE to be dog slow - really dire performance on page rendering compared to cheap Androids.

I agree. I've had cheap Androids and high end Androids. I've also had cheap WPs and high end WPs. Overall I wouldn't say one's better than the other as far as speed is concerned, except a high end Android is faster than a high end WP. Now, I have a Nexus 4 which has zero bloatware and good hardware, so that's what I'm using as a comparison. I'm not familiar with the HTC One or the GS4.

WP seems fast and smooth, but that's because the animation does an excellent job at hiding any lag that may or may not be present. It still takes awhile to open apps but it doesn't seem like it because of the animation. I turn off the animations on my Nexus 4, and apps open instantly. The 920 I had and the 520 I have now seem to open apps at about the same speed, because it takes however long the animation takes.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC One, especially in black, is a nice-looking phone. It actually looks like they put some design effort into it, instead of the boring plastic blister look of all the other Androids. Of course, HTC also made the only non-Nokia Windows Phone that looked nice.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, bur HTC doesn't really support their phones once they get your money, or is that just a myth? It is a very attractive phone, I've always been tempted by HTC but, . . . I heard tings

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually I after coming from a Lumia 900, I didn't find anything very beautiful about the HTC One X and the thing lagged something crazy. It alone almost put me off Android again. But after picking up a Nexus 4 and having used it for a month with zero lag. I'm actually enjoying it. I thought the HTC One looked pretty premium, and probably would've given it a shot if I hadn't been tracking HTC for the past few years and knowing their tendency to leave the consumer hanging with lack of timely updates (sometime no update at all). Can't deal with it.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My father just bought a HTC One. Phone is beatifuly designed, has gorgeus Full HD screen and a wonderful sound (Beats Audio). Thanks to the powerful hardware Android just flys, works with no problems at all giving me a superb YouTube experience and Chrome for web browsing (Flash!). I really like my Lumia 920, but the lack of apps is killing me. May just buy HTC One for myself...
Rumor has it we will see a Windows Phone version of the HTC One in the next few months

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
After the 3GS and the 4S my wife was tired of IOS and wanted to switch to a different platform. She likes my 920 but being an app junkie she didn't find most of the games that she plays on her iPhone so I suggested she try Android.

Last week I took her down to BestBuy and got her a black HTC One and she hasn't put it down unless she was sleeping. She absolutely loves the phone and to be honest..so am I. The phone has such a fantastic premium feel and look like every review I've read.

I was looking into getting a One Max with the 6in screen for myself but found that the internals was identical to the One, which is a bummer compared to the Note 3 with the snapdragon 800, adreno 330 and 3gb of ram. Hopefully HTC changes the internals close to launch time if it's going to compete with the Note 3.

Your story should be throwing up some red flags. If your OK with someone who can't get their attention away from a phone then all's good I guess. I personally do not want a device where I'm giving more attention to it than my surroundings. My phone is a tool and I use it as such.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
No need for red flags or any nonsense, Sherlock. While it might be a tool for you, it is also an entertainment device for others. She was in her honeymoon period with the phone and couldn't put it down for the first week or 2. I'm sure a majority of us did the same with our shiny new phones.

I have no allegiance to any phone os so I give credit where credit is due and the One is a damn nice phone. That's all I was getting at.

Last edited:

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm done with Windows Phone. I played with an HTC One for a couple of days and found the issues my wife was having with her phone were unique to her and how she used it. I just sold my Lumia 1020, so I am back 100% on Android.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not just the looks for the HTC One...the speakers are amazing. I have an HTC One and a Lumia 1020. Love my 1020 for pictures and live tiles. Love the HTC One for listening to music and podcasts on. I'm too far down the wireless charging rabbit hole with my Lumia to even think of going back full-time to my HTC One. I love my Nokia wireless car charging dock. It attaches perfectly to my car with some crazy sticky suction cup kind of thing that leaves no trace of stickiness behind when I move it between cars.

I've never had any lag on my HTC One. I have however had my Lumia 1020 lock up, have the proximity sensor stop working until reboot, volume control go up and down but not actually affect volume until reboot, video "start recording" but not actually kick the timer into gear until reboot, and my accelerometer is off by a couple of degrees (makes my Temple Run that much harder). Other than that, the 1020 is amazing...I guess I just really like the camera! :) I'm waiting until the phone has been out longer to get it replaced so I can get a different build.

Same here. HTC One and 1020 owner myself. 1020 locked up while doing tethering and need to do a soft reboot. HTC One has been smooth so far. No hiccups or lags etc. I think Android itself is not bad. It is flexible as compared to Windows Phone. One excellent example is I can transfer almost every type of files from HTC One to PC and vice versa. But 1020 is having hard time transferring the 38MP photos and restricted to only USB connection, not even the traditional Bluetooth file transferring. Kinda sad there, for 1020 is not as "smart" as Android after all.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Why HTC one? It has crappy camera, for such price I'd expect some more detail. Yes, megapixels. My 925 is just as good in low light while still keeping detail more than 1 meter away. Big sensor is just fine, but 4mp is not enough.
Also HTC decided to ditch the menu or app switching button, leaving you with tripple tap and hold to achieve similar results.
Sony's UI is just as pretty if not even cleaner, is closest to stock of all manufacturers

Sent from my Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion. The top Android devices are:

1 LG G2
2 Motorola X
3 Sony xperia Z1
4 Samsung galaxy S4
5 LG optimus G pro

I will hand it to you, HTC do have nice animations but why take the HTC one ?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Mobile Nations mobile app

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
My father just bought a HTC One. Phone is beatifuly designed, has gorgeus Full HD screen and a wonderful sound (Beats Audio). Thanks to the powerful hardware Android just flys, works with no problems at all giving me a superb YouTube experience and Chrome for web browsing (Flash!). I really like my Lumia 920, but the lack of apps is killing me. May just buy HTC One for myself...

There's no such thing as lack of apps when you can just browse the website of the respective app. It's like this for 85% of apps...a website is a good if not better alternative.

Could I perhaps recommend some other Android devices for you to have a look at before you buy ?

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
There's no such thing as lack of apps when you can just browse the website of the respective app. It's like this for 85% of apps...a website is a good if not better alternative.

Could I perhaps recommend some other Android devices for you to have a look at before you buy ?

Calling BS here. If you have a bank that does not have a mobile banking app for Windows Phone but does on iOS and Android and you can do mobile check depositing - you will want the app and not the mobile website.

In my opinion. The top Android devices are:

1 LG G2
2 Motorola X
3 Sony xperia Z1
4 Samsung galaxy S4
5 LG optimus G pro

Reasons in favor of the HTC One:

The HTC One has a nice, industrial feel to it. Compared to the cheaper feeling Galaxy S4.
The screen is amazing.
The speakers are amazing.
The camera, even in auto, captures pictures that aren't bad.

I have said countless times - automatic mode is just compensation for manual intervention.Well, I stand by the statement but consider the fact I can shoot a picture in auto on a 1020 and the photos are too warm. HTC One - just right. Now if I wanted to edit shot settings, reframe the image, etc...then the 1020 would blow it out of the water.

The killer feature of the 1020 is the camera. The killer feature of the HTC One is how everything comes together.

I don't regret purchasing the 1020 at all. Nokia makes great phones, but they are either saddled with shortcomings that make you say "WTF" because they seem so minor on paper but in execution make a different or they have you wishing other phones had what they did - and then finding suitable non-Windows Phone alternatives.

So my wife is going to be pissed with my phone swap but thankfully there are more important things in life and that bitterness will go away. (As will the sore back after sleeping on the couch) I won't knock the 1020. I love the Lumia line of devices and Windows Phone - but they tend to fall just short of the mark. I need to buy a device that works around me, not one that I can work around.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Reasons in favor of the HTC One:

The HTC One has a nice, industrial feel to it. Compared to the cheaper feeling Galaxy S4.
The screen is amazing.
The speakers are amazing.
The camera, even in auto, captures pictures that aren't bad.

Try the Sony xperia Z1
-beautiful/excellent build quality.
-20 MP camera (its got to be good)
-also has a flagship quality screen.
-its also completely 100% waterproof and scratch resistant.(I dont if you like the idea of a waterproof phone, but its a big selling point to some people)

I'm not trying to force you to choose any specific device. I'm just giving you my input. :) the choice is entirely up to you but I just recommend that you check out all the competition before you buy.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Try the Sony xperia Z1
-beautiful/excellent build quality.
-20 MP camera (its got to be good)
-also has a flagship quality screen.
-its also completely 100% waterproof and scratch resistant.(I dont if you like the idea of a waterproof phone, but its a big selling point to some people)

I'm not trying to force you to choose any specific device. I'm just giving you my input. :) the choice is entirely up to you but I just recommend that you check out all the competition before you buy.

I had a Galaxy S4 Active, and it's supposed water resistance was nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy to push out multiple Galaxy S4 models and possibly attract ruggedized device users away from other carriers and devices. I blew through two of them in a week, both thanks to water damage. There are gaps in the screen and phone housing that allow water to get into the phone, so even following directions to the nose resulted in damage. I didn't want to risk having more damage than I could care to account for.

Sample shots of the Sony didn't really show it was all that impressive. I'd rather not go out and drop a ton of money on a phone with supposed best in class features (again) and get stuck with a lemon or an also ran.

The HTC One suits my needs, period. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it. I used to have a signature with some similar wording in it but some guy felt the need to have it taken down.

Mumble mumble hate terms mumble mumble

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos