Taken for granted (a comparison of WP8's advantages over iOS7)

Murani Lewis

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't suffer using my Windows Phone on a daily basis. In fact I really enjoy using it as a daily driver. My Android and iPhone using friends are often jealous of the things I do with my phone. When I need an app I find it 9/10 times in the store waiting for me. When I want a great game to play I can find it in the store. My photos and videos are automatically uploaded to SkyDrive and my pictures are available to me at all times.

Pinning individual sections of apps is an amazing feature and continues to amaze everyone that sees it. The more devs care to include these features into their apps the better the experience gets.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't suffer using my Windows Phone on a daily basis. In fact I really enjoy using it as a daily driver. My Android and iPhone using friends are often jealous of the things I do with my phone. When I need an app I find it 9/10 times in the store waiting for me. When I want a great game to play I can find it in the store. My photos and videos are automatically uploaded to SkyDrive and my pictures are available to me at all times.

Pinning individual sections of apps is an amazing feature and continues to amaze everyone that sees it. The more devs care to include these features into their apps the better the experience gets.

I have similar experiences. One of my friends who has been a long time iPhone user just got a 5s. I told him I got a Windows Phone and he asked for a review after I used it for a month. I think he said it thinking I would be regretting my decision. I gave him an honest assessment of how things are including some missing features. At the end he was second guessing his decision to get another iPhone. From my perspective, it really boils down to how much you care about apps. For many people the differences in the stores won't matter, but it's still significant enough for people that really love apps and want the largest selection possible or to not have to wait. For anyone that can get past that, the difference instantly tilts in favor of Windows phone. Even my friend who is a die hard Apple lover and develops for the platform will admit how good the Windows Phone OS is.

I thoroughly expect the gap to widen as well. Apple seems to have lost their way slightly since Jobs left. IOS7 lacks the same kind of cohesion and consistency that previous versions had, and that would have never flew if Jobs were still around. Cook is so hell bent on trying to prove he can still innovate that he is forgetting some of the principals Jobs used to make Apple so successful up to this point. Take a look at the Weather app. It's simple and beautiful and has a good blend of color without being over the top. Then look at the notepad which is so stark and light that it almost makes a person sick looking at it. Oh wait...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have similar experiences. One of my friends who has been a long time iPhone user just got a 5s. I told him I got a Windows Phone and he asked for a review after I used it for a month. I think he said it thinking I would be regretting my decision. I gave him an honest assessment of how things are including some missing features. At the end he was second guessing his decision to get another iPhone. From my perspective, it really boils down to how much you care about apps. <snip>
From my perspective, it boils down to how much do you care about certain apps. No way will I ever use all 155,000+ apps that are available to me now. :wink:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I thoroughly expect the gap to widen as well. Apple seems to have lost their way slightly since Jobs left. .

Thats what we all keep saying but Apple still retains a solid second spot. I think now that Apple has their dedicated fanbase they will always hold a strong spot in the mobile market. Tech websites love their gadgets, developers devote most of their mobile app resources to their platform and they hold a premium product line with strong ecosystem.

I am in no way an Apple fan but can admit their strengths...and their a leader in marketing products. thats what sells.

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
If you subscribe to Office 365, you can download office to an iphone.

Basically all the apps from microsoft that are available for Windows Phone are now on iPhone.

Bing is also available but is in dire needs of an update.

Q: I am not interested in the iphone, but curious... You mention a subscription to Office 365..

On a Nokia Lumia (521- yes I know- Bought it to evaluate WP8 on the cheap, use it as a backup- Haven't set it up yet)

I see a OFFICE tile /icon and I've read you can create/edit office apps on the phone. Are there charges for using the app or selected parts of such?

WeAreNotAlone

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Multi Qutoe isn't working for me :-(

Re getting a 520/521, wait for new devices (1020?)

That's not a terrible idea, really. However, it depends on app reliance. The 52x devices lack a front camera and 1 GB of RAM, so there are game limitations (if that matters to him). The small amount of storage would likely affect him after being on the platform for so long as well.

52x devices do have expandable memory. So infact he can get more storage than his 920.

I think what Keith is touching on in regards to memory is while the 520 /521 storage memory CAN be expanded via a Mirco-SD card, applications themselves have to be installed to INTERNAL memory, so the small amount of internal storage space would be a issue.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Saying windows phone has a lot of apps is just a ****** excuse. I know what other users will most likely say because I have used iOS, and lets just say the Facebook app is way better than our sorry piece of crap. I don't like the app selection it is so narrow, there is 2/30 games and apps I use regulary that I also can find on windows phone. Does that seem like a lot of apps? And big whoop 155,000 I'm pretty sure Android and iOS hit a million years ago. Please stop stating your bias opinion and look at the obvious, I can look at the appstores for iOS and WP right now and looking at top lists there are way more apps I want to download on my iPod than the crap on WP. Even Nokia believes there are too little apps. I need my apps!!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No one denies that iOS or Android have more apps. But to whine about it when you CAN find just about any app you need, is just to whine to hear yourself whine. BTW - a million years ago, there were no apps. On any platform. Windows Phone Store has grown at the same rate as the others. And for a while it even far outpaced the Android store's growth rate at the same age.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
No one denies that iOS or Android have more apps. But to whine about it when you CAN find just about any app you need, is just to whine to hear yourself whine. BTW - a million years ago, there were no apps. On any platform. Windows Phone Store has grown at the same rate as the others. And for a while it even far outpaced the Android store's growth rate at the same age.

I mostly agree with this...but not completely. Sure you can get a lot of alternatives to some popular apps like Instagram, Vine, etc. But what about very useful apps from companies who have stated they will not develop for WP. Simple bank. They have stated outright that they will NOT develop for WP. I use Simple for my banking. I loved using their app on Android and iPhone (yes, I owned both). BB&T (my normal bank). Again, not developing for WP. Some of the more popular games (Bike Race, Zombieville USA, etc) are not developing for WP and have no plans to. So there are some very useful apps that I used before that I can't get...and probably will never get on WP.

And yes, there are some great developers who bring these things to us - 6tag, etc...but it also depends on demand. Intagram, Vine, Pocket, Feedly, etc are all popular enough to generate interest by enough people. And that's what you need. Most of you probably do not live in the southern region of the US, so what need would you have for BB&T bank? Therefore, what developer would be able to generate enough need for an app? Therefore, I'll probably never see an app for my bank. And before you say, "well, just use your laptop or the web version", I could say the same thing about Facebook or Instagram or whatever.

So, while I don't believe apps alone should be the tipping point one way or the other, but to totally dismiss that factor is not fair.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No one denies that iOS or Android have more apps. But to whine about it when you CAN find just about any app you need, is just to whine to hear yourself whine.

If users could find just about any app they need I don't think we'd hear about the app gap. But a lot of apps are not available. Sure, nobody uses 155,000 apps. But the more that are available, the more useful apps any user will find. For example, on my Android I use approximately 1 app for every 10,000 in the store. The same ratio on WP would give me about 16 apps. Interestingly enough, that's almost exactly how many I have installed on my WP. That's how many I've found that are useful for me in the way I use a smartphone.

Windows Phone Store has grown at the same rate as the others. And for a while it even far outpaced the Android store's growth rate at the same age.

This means absolutely nothing. They need to compete with what's on the market today. Would you use that logic to buy a Model T today from a startup automaker?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This means absolutely nothing. They need to compete with what's on the market today. Would you use that logic to buy a Model T today from a startup automaker?
So you'd expect that on day one Microsoft had the same number of fart apps as iOS, and kept the same growth pace. That's not a fair OR realistic expectation. When you use a fledgling platform, you SHOULD expect to have less to work with, and if you don't, you'll be highly disappointed. If that's not good enough, you shouldn't be an early adopter.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
First, I'm not whining I'm expressing my complaints to a person asking whether to get iPhone 5s or a WP. Second, for the last time if I could find any app I wanted or needed we wouldn't be having this conversation. Windows Phone is not providing me what I want or need. Third, WP store is going to continue to grow at such a slow rate, while the other contenders started slow and started to grow exponentially(used something I learned in Math, yeah!!). Windows Phone started late, but nobody is gonna switch and say its ok windows phone started late so they are excused for their lack of apps. Fourth, I forgot the comma I meant to say "Apple hit a million, years ago.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
So you'd expect that on day one Microsoft had the same number of fart apps as iOS, and kept the same growth pace. That's not a fair OR realistic expectation. When you use a fledgling platform, you SHOULD expect to have less to work with, and if you don't, you'll be highly disappointed. If that's not good enough, you shouldn't be an early adopter.

No, I sure don't expect Microsoft to have the same number of apps as iOS or Android, fart apps or otherwise. WP doesn't fulfill all my smartphone needs. Therefore, it is relegated to the toy role for me. It's not ready to handle my work. I do still like it. If I didn't I wouldn't carry one as my 2nd device.

There are plenty of threads on this forum with WP fans asking how to do something they were used to easily doing on other platforms. It's not just me. To believe it's up to par with iOS or Android overall is denial or blatant fanboyism. Sure, there are things it does better, but the scales are tipped the other way.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, guys - the past few days, I've had some heavy things on my mind, and it looks like I was snarkier than I should have been, using this board to blow things off when maybe I should have stepped away.

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd pick an Apple phone if I needed one specific app for work/workflow needs AND if I could afford it. Haven't needed to do that yet. Loving my L810 so far, EOL or not.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Go give iPhone a try and then try WP again in 2015. Bet you will kick yourself for missing out on a year of WP. I have an iPhone 5 sitting next to me and aside from app support, it has nothing over my 1520.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Bet you will kick yourself for missing out on a year of WP.

I got my first WP a year ago, and to be honest, looking back on it I don't feel I would've missed anything if I wouldn't have had WP. I keep waiting, anticipating the breakthrough, thinking it's just around the corner. So far that hasn't materialized. I expect it'll be at least the middle of 2014 until WP 8.1 is released to the public, or at least until we see it on our carrier branded phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz