Im considering saying goodbye to Nokia,and maybe even Windows Phone (never thought i would say this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

higginsworld

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, let me start by saying i really do love Windows Phone OS, i have been with it since WP7, i had a Samsung Omnia 7, followed by an HTC Titan, followed by... a Nokia Lumia 920, and now recently a Lumia 925.

Im not sure whether this is to do with Windows Phone or Nokia, but i got my 920 almost 12 months ago, and in the space of just over 10 months i had to have the phone replaced twice, once by EE, another time by Nokia Care. I decided to sell the phone and get a 925, only a slight upgrade i know, but i fancied a slight change, literally just as i was about to post off the 920 to the person i had sold it to, i did a factory reset and got the dreaded 'never ending turning cogs' , luckily after over 20 hours of fretting, hard resetting, charging, letting the battery drain, it recovered, i sent it off and got my 925......

higginsworld

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have had the 925 just over 6 weeks, really like the phone ,love the screen, except over the past week the phone has been randomly restarting (very frustrating when you're in the middle of something), before taking it to Nokia Care i decided to do a factory reset, learning from last time i waited until the phone was fully charged. However i got... Yet again the 'never ending turning cogs'. I couldn't believe it, you can imagine my frustration. After 4 hours of waiting and resetting it finally recovered.

Tell me if im wrong but i am right in being annoyed and frustrated and feeling disappointed that within the past 12 months i have had 4 major failures of my phones, both have which have been Nokia phones.

As i said at the beginning in not sure whether these issues are Nokias or Microsofts, but in guessing more so Nokiad. Not sure whether the turning cigs are an OS issues tho, can someone shed light on this?

I really will not be getting a Nokia (now Microsoft) phone ever again after this shambolic user experience. Aren't Nokia supposed to be known for their hardware quality?

And i never thought i would say this, bit i really am considering leaving Windows Phone, its just reasonable to stick around having had such a shocking experience in terms of hardware downtime (there were issues with the htc titan also, although nowhere near as bad as with my Nokia phones).

What are your thoughts?

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a lot of random quirks and issues with my Nokia Lumia 820 also... It's never made me want to leave windows phone but very frustrating to say the least. I'm thinking about getting one of the new nokias being announced on the 22nd if they look good. Though I think you're right, it's not okay for all of these random annoying issues to come up. Though I believe you'll get that on any device... I've had friends with Android and iPhone that get strange quirks and annoying bugs so idk if you can escape in 2013 matey.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Aren't Nokia supposed to be known for their hardware quality?

As a general rule, these days, and if it isn't obvious, errors are far more likely to be software related than hardware related.

MS has just two WP8 compliant hardware platforms that OEMs can use to assemble their devices. With the release of GDR3 a third platform will be introduced to the mix. It is MS' job to ensure WP runs reliably on all of those standardized platforms. As a result, things like the dreaded infinite cogwheel issue is definitely MS' problem to solve, although we still can't say if the issue is hardware or software related. The point is, if you must have a company name at which to direct your anger, at least for WP and at this time, Microsoft is more likely to be the correct choice. It seems that WP is still going through a phase of growing pains. At this point MS has corrected most of the bugs that are simple coding errors, but not those stemming from unfortunate software architecture or software design choices.

Nokia earned its reputation for hardware quality thanks to their build quality and ruggedness, reception quality and their camera innovations. I think all of those competencies have carried over to Nokia's WP line-up.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Eh, now you see I was trying to persuade my dad to get me a 920, but seeing that you got these issues I'd better stick with my 720. i observed that it has never crashed on me until now, everything's fine (well, after Amber it is grainy) but heck, it does the job quite well.

Try a 720. See if that works out. My only issue is the lack of apps, but I'm a Nokia fan, and I always buy a Nokia (it's affordable too!). Would even care if it ran BADA,Tizen or even any other OS for that matter.

It just might be that you're out of luck. :wink:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say, WP7 was faster and had fewer problems than the WP8 Lumias I've had. I honestly believe it's not a hardware issue.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Obviously I would be frustrated the same as you with your issues, and it's a personal choice as to what level of that you can deal with before you say enough is enough. I will speak for the many other Lumia 920 users who have not had issues like this to give you some perspective that while there are always issues, there are many more who don't have them just so you know there is some hope out there. =) I'm not sure how widespread these kinds of problems are and whether they are hardware or software related, but just know that there is a large base of 920 owners that are still rocking their first model with no major issues and I hope if you do stay that you get your problems worked out quickly.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I gotta say, WP7 was faster and had fewer problems than the WP8 Lumias I've had. I honestly believe it's not a hardware issue.

I think you're right. I have noticed it on my friend 710. His phone is faster than mine, but I think that might be just because he's got more processing power and an old os.
BTW he's jealous of me, cause I get Glance and everything and he doesn't.

And in India phone resale values are bull****, so while both of us want a 920, both of us can't afford even after selling our phones.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right. I have noticed it on my friend 710. His phone is faster than mine, but I think that might be just because he's got more processing power and an old os.
BTW he's jealous of me, cause I get Glance and everything and he doesn't.

And in India phone resale values are bull****, so while both of us want a 920, both of us can't afford even after selling our phones.
Well, it feels faster and it is in fact more stable, so you may as well wait.

WP7 is faster largely due to the animations being shorter.

outback15

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Obviously I would be frustrated the same as you with your issues, and it's a personal choice as to what level of that you can deal with before you say enough is enough. I will speak for the many other Lumia 920 users who have not had issues like this to give you some perspective that while there are always issues, there are many more who don't have them just so you know there is some hope out there. =) I'm not sure how widespread these kinds of problems are and whether they are hardware or software related, but just know that there is a large base of 920 owners that are still rocking their first model with no major issues and I hope if you do stay that you get your problems worked out quickly.

I am one of those who has a flawless 920. Great battery life, although I am a light user. Even after amber update, no issues. I have tested all my apps and fone functions, everything works fine. Camera even better now with ProCam. Also like TaptoWake. Don't know if these issues have something to do with early batches of the device. No data to ascertain that. Have had mine for only 2mos. Perhaps from a recent batch.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why people come on here to ask for advice about leaving a specific Windows Phone Hardware manufacturer or switching to Android or iOS?? Especially on a Windows Phone site and asking about leaving Windows Phone! It should always be a personal decision. I switched from HTC to Nokia because we had two HTC Titans that the screens went out on. Twice on one of them and three times on the other one. Once they were out of factory warranty I switched my wife and I over to 920s. In over a year we have not had a single problem. So, for me and my experience HTC failed me and Nokia has been phenomenal. I have two daughters and one of them uses a iPhone 4s and the other a Samsung Galaxy S3. They have both had problems with Hardware, the OSs and apps. My daughter with the Galaxy S3 more so than I could ever believe!! And even an Otterbox has not saved my daughters iPhone from what I would consider small distance drops. My parents both use iPhone 4s's and they have never once had any problems with their phones, probably because they basically only use them as phones. So, you just need to make a decision that you feel best works for you.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree this is not the right place to post this question... it's almost like asking this right to Microsoft.
Anyway, personally I own a Nokia 920, after an HTC HD7 (which made me abandon HTC), after a wonderful HTC HD2, after an HTC Touch Diamond... etc.
And now, very probably, the next phone I will buy will be a Samsung with android. Do the math XD

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I had an HTC Trophy that I never had any issues with. From there I upgraded to a L822 and didn't have any issues either. Now with a L928, I'm still running along fine. Seems like you're just in a run of bad luck.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why people come on here to ask for advice about leaving a specific Windows Phone Hardware manufacturer or switching to Android or iOS?? Especially on a Windows Phone site and asking about leaving Windows Phone! It should always be a personal decision. I switched from HTC to Nokia because we had two HTC Titans that the screens went out on. Twice on one of them and three times on the other one. Once they were out of factory warranty I switched my wife and I over to 920s. In over a year we have not had a single problem. So, for me and my experience HTC failed me and Nokia has been phenomenal. I have two daughters and one of them uses a iPhone 4s and the other a Samsung Galaxy S3. They have both had problems with Hardware, the OSs and apps. My daughter with the Galaxy S3 more so than I could ever believe!! And even an Otterbox has not saved my daughters iPhone from what I would consider small distance drops. My parents both use iPhone 4s's and they have never once had any problems with their phones, probably because they basically only use them as phones. So, you just need to make a decision that you feel best works for you.

It is tiring hearing people attack others for expressing a desire to switch to other platforms. On iMore I just read a whole thread bashing a guy for saying he was surprised to find he preferred a note3 to a 5s. Why must it be a "personal decision" that we dare not speak of? This is the perfect place for such discussions. If I ever switch away from WP8 I would first ask wpcentral folks for advice (maybe some came from those platforms, maybe others just switched or have looked into it etc.)

as to the OP's thoughts, I returned 3 920s before selling the new one Nokia kindly sent me. I am currently back to my WP7.5 Focus. I will probably give Nokia one more chance unless Samsung releases a good Windows Phone

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Mister, you have some nerve to come on these boards and try to make sense. How dare you try to suck the wind out of the whiners' sails. Go to your room and think about what you just did! :evil:

Cinderella RT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree this is not the right place to post this question... it's almost like asking this right to Microsoft.
Anyway, personally I own a Nokia 920, after an HTC HD7 (which made me abandon HTC), after a wonderful HTC HD2, after an HTC Touch Diamond... etc.
And now, very probably, the next phone I will buy will be a Samsung with android. Do the math XD

Why would asking Microsoft be such a no-no?
Who should he ask? BlackBerry?! Samsung?! Apple?!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It is tiring hearing people attack others for expressing a desire to switch to other platforms. On iMore I just read a whole thread bashing a guy for saying he was surprised to find he preferred a note3 to a 5s. Why must it be a "personal decision" that we dare not speak of? This is the perfect place for such discussions. If I ever switch away from WP8 I would first ask wpcentral folks for advice (maybe some came from those platforms, maybe others just switched or have looked into it etc.)

I saw that thread too, and I actually felt kinda sorry for the poor guy. I think we're all being delusional if we think our beloved platform is without faults. In spite of Android having a large & passionate fan base, I find their forum less hostile toward opposing views than either iMore or WPCentral.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why would asking Microsoft be such a no-no?
Who should he ask? BlackBerry?! Samsung?! Apple?!
Well... there is no point asking Microsoft what it thinks about switching to another os from WP. Not if you'd like to have an objective point anyway.
It would be better asking to people who doesn't have a blind love for WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte