I have to admit, I hate Nokia, or: what should my next phone be?

ominaxe

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
As a Verizon customer, once the Trophy was available, I bought it ASAP.
That phone to this date has been my favorite phone I've ever had. It was the most reliable, had the best battery life (was able to get an extended battery), and was one of the most durable (My blackberry was a beast). When the 8X eventually came out, I was jealous of the 920 being on AT&T and wanted to wait for a Nokia .. plus, my Trophy was holding up like a champ. I even thought that on my next upgrade I would just get another Trophy.

...Then, the unthinkable happened. On it's 89132431st drop, my beloved Trophy's screen finally gave out on me. Luckily the 928 was released around that time and I could upgrade to the Nokia. Which brings me to my next point: I think Nokia is way overrated and are relying too much on their past. Everyone says how well they are made, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Other than the fact that it was running W8, had an OLED screen, and a great camera, the 928 never wowed me. I found it to be cumbersome, buggy, had poor battery life, and being generally unreliable. Many times the phone would just power down and brick for no reason until I did a virtual battery pull. When it booted up again all my settings were messed up; having the wrong time zone, wrong date, and a buggy touchscreen that kept registering touches without me touching it. It just kept acting up and always needed a restart. I hated it.

Fast forward a couple months: I dropped the phone and completely broke it and am now using a friend's HTC sensation until I decide to get a new windows phone. Honestly, other than not having my familiar WP platform and good camera, I don't miss the 928 at all. The sensation, even though it's older gets better reception and wifi than the 928 ever did and feels nicer to use (Physically that is. *shudder* Android bugs the heck out of me). Maybe because it's the same size as my Trophy? Maybe the hardware is better? I dunno.

Now I'm wondering what my next phone should be. I'm wondering if there will be a new HTC Windows phone (I've heard rumors), if the Samsung Windows phones are any good, or if you think I should just suck it up and get the 929. Does anyone agree with me about Nokia? Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think besides Nokia's cameras, they are highly overrated. My 920 has had a number of issues and replacements and my day one 8X out runs it in battery life and durability. The only reason I'll think if getting a Nokia is for niche reasons. I'm waiting for other OEMs offerings (I want a Phablet next round) but if others aren't releasing a Phablet soon I'll be forced for 1520 unlocked. HURRY UP HTC! I NEED YOUU!

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you do not like Nokia phones I wouldn't recommend getting another. There will be an army of people here that will disagree with both you and me, but get whatever device makes you happy.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, you clearly had a faulty device, can't expect to get a good experience on one.

My 920 (while not a 928, but identical in many ways too) has no problems whatsoever and I love it. If there's something I dislike, it's more about WP8 rather than what Nokia had done with the phone.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Nokia phones are hideous and ill-built jokes. I blame Verizon more than Nokia for wanting to adhere to that hideous block style.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I too don't have any hardware issue with my 920 (and I have a lot of complains because of wp).
But I heard many people complaining about the quality or their lumia, or about hardware faults, and the poor or even non-existent customer service from Nokia. It seems they want only to sell their phone, but they don't care at all to make customers loyal.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I too don't have any hardware issue with my 920 (and I have a lot of complains because of wp).
But I heard many people complaining about the quality or their lumia, or about hardware faults, and the poor or even non-existent customer service from Nokia. It seems they want only to sell their phone, but they don't care at all to make customers loyal.

I'd put money down that a good % of those are being posted by people being paid by some PR firm. Right-here, right-now I couldn't see myself getting anything but a Nokia phone. I don't like the HTC offerings and I refuse to buy anything made by Sammy simply due to their unethical business practices.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't mean to be an annoying ****** but I can't help wonder what your opinion would have been if you didn't get a faulty device (the problems you are describing are definitely not a nokia standard!) , because I sure know my 800 and 920 were/are both awesome :)
Ps I can imagine you didn't like the 928 physically because it doesn't look very appealing to me either lol

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
that was in no way resembling proper operation.
Samsung's offerings are decent, they work just fine, same with HTC. The current 8X is a respectable phone. The only real problems is that Nokia tacks on extra features and perks that I don't really see elsewhere.
Personally my 920 has run like a charm, although I've heard enough horror stories about defective ones.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with those above, get what you like best. Personal experience I did get a faulty 920 the first time (on launch day) but got it replaced without any hassle by AT&T and have loved the replacement ever since. A co-worker has the 928 and loves it. 3 of my kids have 521s and my sister in-law has a 520 and none of them have any issues and they love the phones. From your description it sounds like you got a lemon and VZW should have traded it out without question.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't really comment on the 928 as I will never own one as I'm not in the US. However, what I will say is that the main reason I buy Nokia's is because of their great build quality and reliability. It's a shame you haven't experienced this yourself, but after owning approx 7 different Nokia's over the years (2 of them Lumia's), I have honestly never had one have a major fault. I don't want to make out that they are bullet proof, they're not (well the 3310 is :wink:). But you will find reports of faults, both hardware and software, with all manufacturers (yes that certainly includes Apple as well). But looking back at what I have personally owned and how they have performed, I have no hesitation in buying a Nokia.

As others have already said, you are free to buy any phone you wish to, I know I've owned way more Nokia's than anything else, but I've also owned HTC and Samsung phones in the past, but personally prefer Nokia's. I wouldn't be too put off by what happened to the 928. It's a shame you had to go through the issues with it, but Nokia's in general are very good in my opinion.

ominaxe

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I know that the choice is up to me .. I was just wondering if I was one in a million, 'cause I have read elsewhere that people have been uphappy. I just feel like Nokia is no more bulletproof or more well built than any other smartphone maker now that they do primarily touchscreens (I know that they had a lot of Symbian touchscreens too), but they are all manufactured in China now and feel just like any other android handset (except the HTC One, that thing is just special). The fact that this old HTC I'm using has better signal than my 928 is also worrisome... I dunno. I just hope some other manufacturers manage to show some truly beautiful and well crafted devices.

One of the main reasons I wanted the 928 was because of the Nokia applications. Do any of you know if Nokia applications are going to go to all handsets now that Microsoft owns them?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 928, but do have an 822. I handled both the 822 and the 8X a lot, on multiple occasions, before eventually buying my 822 on eBay. The 822 feels more solid and well built than the 8X did. And I haven't had any hardware issues at all. Software, however, at least in terms of drivers, is probably better on HTC because they've been a MS OEM for much longer. All OEMs have occasional issues with phones. I suspect that you are on the minority in terms of issues. Please remember that people with issues tend to be far more vocal about their issues than those without issues. In the end you need to buy what works for you.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If something happened to my 920 ! I would get another one, even after it has been out almost a year.
I don't need the camera in the 1020. It's just what has been good, or bad for you.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Howdy! I have had a Trophy, 8x, and 928 and the 928 is without a doubt the most durable phone of the three! I think you had a faulty device, because I have dropped mine quite a bit with not problem whatsoever. My first 3 8x's were faulty, my Trophy's screen shattered when I dropped it on carpet from knee height, and my 928 has survived multiple drops on tile from chest height.

As far as aesthetics go, while I do think the 8x is the most incredibly gorgeous device I have ever seen, the 928 is still extremely gorgeous! (especially the white one). Yes it is bigger, but that was a given.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
One of the main reasons I wanted the 928 was because of the Nokia applications. Do any of you know if Nokia applications are going to go to all handsets now that Microsoft owns them?

If/when the deal goes through next quarter I expect some to eventually be released to all applicable WP8 handsets, but how many is anyone's guess.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I know that the choice is up to me .. I was just wondering if I was one in a million, 'cause I have read elsewhere that people have been uphappy. I just feel like Nokia is no more bulletproof or more well built than any other smartphone maker now that they do primarily touchscreens (I know that they had a lot of Symbian touchscreens too), but they are all manufactured in China now and feel just like any other android handset (except the HTC One, that thing is just special). The fact that this old HTC I'm using has better signal than my 928 is also worrisome... I dunno. I just hope some other manufacturers manage to show some truly beautiful and well crafted devices.

Ahh, you want a phone that feels like your really holding something. An L920 would be your best friend.

In addishun t'bein' a phone ah use it t'knock mah hoes in th' haid when they is not producin'.

ominaxe

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Between gsquared and z33dev, I'm starting to feel that it may be a Verizon issue forcing changes to phone's hardware? The 920 looks like it's better built than the 928, but I can't say I've ever had my hands on . I like comfort in the hand, but I also like heavy and solid. Nothing has come close to my blackberry storm 2 in that respect. I think because the glass 'floated', the thing was indestructible.

All I know is that my experience with the 928 has me worried about Nokias. It was the most buggy phone I've ever used.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Between gsquared and z33dev, I'm starting to feel that it may be a Verizon issue forcing changes to phone's hardware? The 920 looks like it's better built than the 928, but I can't say I've ever had my hands on . I like comfort in the hand, but I also like heavy and solid. Nothing has come close to my blackberry storm 2 in that respect. I think because the glass 'floated', the thing was indestructible.

All I know is that my experience with the 928 has me worried about Nokias. It was the most buggy phone I've ever used.
I reviewed one for three weeks and hated it. I've been using the 920 since last November and adore it. The 928 was cheap and until I reset it twice it was not a very smooth experience. Verizon defeated on a sound design by turning it into a bland megablock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)