11-25-2013 12:51 PM
164 1234 ...
tools
    If you are buying a first smart phone for a teenager, you might have some interest in parental controls. I think you can block access to seedier parts of the internet on iPhone (block safari use, and then install a browser with parental controls). There is just no way to block IE and its unrestricted internet access on Windows phone. In the end, I got my teenage daughter a Windows phone, but this is something you might want to consider. For what it is worth, my daughter is generally happy with her phone, but you will catch heat anytime she can't do something her friends can do on an iPhone, but that has not really happened much. However, my daughter is not a power user - she mostly just texts, listens to music (using Nokia music) and watches YouTube videos.
    11-22-2013 09:24 AM
    I'd say.... Go WP route. I do like your reasoning for showing her not to do everything because its popular.

I have a sister who is 15 and I can assure you that even though she claims she can't live without it, literally everytime I see her use it, she's either texting, calling, listening to music, or getting on the internet/social media. WP has all of that. Plus, if you're already invested in the MS ecosystem then you guys can share music, videos, etc... You can explain to her that if she goes the iPhone route, she'll have to buy everything herself since you won't have an iDevice. Just my opinion though.
    11-22-2013 09:31 AM
    When I was 15 and asked my parents if I could have a prepaid phone for birthday....
    When I was 15 and had spent months entering code into my Commodore 64 to create a bulletin board system, and then asked my dad if we could get a second phone line and a 300 baud modem........

I never got my own BBS.
    Mach_E likes this.
    11-22-2013 09:54 AM
    She's 13 get her whatever is better financially, she wants and iPhone, tell her she needs a job when she's old enough :-)
    11-22-2013 09:57 AM
    iphone is too mainstream.
    Deutscher2 likes this.
    11-22-2013 09:58 AM
    When I was 15 and had spent months entering code into my Commodore 64 to create a bulletin board system, and then asked my dad if we could get a second phone line and a 300 baud modem........

I never got my own BBS.
    When I was 15 I asked my dad(mom left the family for another dude) if I can get a part-time job and he was cool with it after that I started buying all my own gadgets without having to ask my dad for approval because it was my money.
    11-22-2013 10:00 AM
    Get her what she wants if you/she can afford it.
    11-22-2013 10:04 AM
    Ok calculate the formula like this, from my point of view way
    1- Teenage + Girl
    2- iPhone + Cost $
    3- Apps + ecosystem

I know how hard is dealing with Girls, If they insisted on something, they have to get it !!

I believe that Windows Phone 8 will not wok fine for your daughter, She will need to feel good about her smartphone, and get Apps Store like Apple's store so she can find any application she need, and the cost of this smartphone should make your daughter happy & you save some money $.

few days ago I trade my Lumia 520 with Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini, it just feel's like iPhone 5 with more functionality, check it, it is really a nice phone with a good ecosystem & there is alot of Antiviruses available for Android, and if she will not root her device you shouldn't worry about malwares and viruses, in addition to that Samsung TouchWize UI is so much close to iOS in many ways, I was thinking that getting Samsung Galaxy S 4 mini is such a bad idea but when I play for some time with it, I felt it is really a good smartphone
    11-22-2013 10:06 AM
    Forcing a WP on her because of your own preferences is silly. She and her friends are likely to use snapchat, Instagram or whatever new app starts trending, unlike you or many other WP users.

Moreover, if she looks on that WP as some sort of 'punishment' you've created an MS hater for life.
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:09 AM
    Here's the dilemma: my teen daughter (I could just stop right there...), who is on my Verizon family plan, has a "classic" cell phone. It's time to move her to a smartphone. but she uses an iPod Touch and is convinced she wants an iPhone ('it has all my apps!'). If we get her a smartphone, she will be paying half the monthly charge. I mention this because it might affect which phone she gets for which network.

I really would love for her to get a WP simply because I am getting more invested in the MS ecosystem at home, and iPhones give you less bang for the buck. She'd probably be fine with an Android phone, but I'm worried about malware, rogue apps, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a $80 Nokia 520/521 and let her mess with it for a couple weeks and then see what she thinks. The only drawback would be no front phone, but she could still check out the OS and see if the apps she wants are on there, and then I'd pick a better phone with a front camera (920 family, etc).

T-mobile seems to be the cheapest network, and she could do pay as you go.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would also appreciate any general advice about having a teenager with a smartphone.
    Ha! Glad I've got 3 boys.

This is what I'd do:

I'd either buy them a L520 (my eldest has a hand-me-down L900 at the moment) or hand them down a phone I or my wife previously owned.

If one of my sons would seriously dare to request an iPhone, which in my eyes, after offering to buy them a L520 is just downright ungrateful. Then they can pay for either the iPhone or L520 themselves or whatever the hell other device they want, because I won't be treated like that by my children and I suggest you man up and do the same.
    savantfool likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:13 AM
    I'm just curious how many of the people responding have actually had this issue (with their own kids), especially the "kids today" comments.
    11-22-2013 10:16 AM
    How exactly is she going to be paying half the line rental? If she 13 i doubt she work unless she mean using her pocket money lol.
    11-22-2013 10:18 AM
    Also i would get her a WP with a FFC. Get her a 925 she would love that.
    11-22-2013 10:24 AM
    Sir in my own opinion let her get the iPhone if you are financialy have what it costs, but there's this second option if not let her take a look at WP if she partly like it then it's not a bad idea to let her see what WP and iPhones looks like, if you know what I'm talking about. . .
    11-22-2013 10:30 AM
    If it were me, I'd giver her the option of a used older model iPhone or a brand new NL520.
    savantfool likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:31 AM
    Well I have to interject here. My wife loves her phone and I forced it on her. Though she is not a child anymore, you could do what I did. Show her everything that can be accomplished better with the ecosystem. Then let her know that her selfies won't suffer because they have the best cameras!
    11-22-2013 10:35 AM
    I say if her iPod Touch is still fairly new and works just fine for her, why not switch it up and get her a Lumia phone then? It's not uncommon to use a phone along with an iPod Touch. I did it a few years ago and so did plenty of my friends. This way, she can see which ecosystem she likes better. I think that's plenty fair.

Though because she is a teen, I'd suggest (like other people in this thread) the 925 over the 520. But then again it does come down to what she can afford.
    savantfool likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:49 AM
    She's paying half the bill? Let her get an iPhone. The monthly charge doesn't vary between smartphones, only between carriers (sans T-Mobile). And if she's paying for it then you should respect her financial decision and let her get the phone of her choosing. Your daughter becoming an "iSheep" isn't the worst thing in the world, especially since she's already happy with her current iPod.

If you truly want to convince her of the glory of WPs then let her use your phone for a day or two. Walk her through the benefits of WP, how she can pin all of her favorite friends (for which she probably has many) to the start screen. How she can get instant Facebook updates from them. Maybe once she realizes the social aspects of WP then she'll jump ship.

But don't buy her a phone and tell her to jump ship.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:56 AM
    She's paying half the bill? Let her get an iPhone. The monthly charge doesn't vary between smartphones, only between carriers (sans T-Mobile). And if she's paying for it then you should respect her financial decision and let her get the phone of her choosing. Your daughter becoming an "iSheep" isn't the worst thing in the world, especially since she's already happy with her current iPod.

If you truly want to convince her of the glory of WPs then let her use your phone for a day or two. Walk her through the benefits of WP, how she can pin all of her favorite friends (for which she probably has many) to the start screen. How she can get instant Facebook updates from them. Maybe once she realizes the social aspects of WP then she'll jump ship.

But don't buy her a phone and tell her to jump ship.
    Just had to quote this. I totally agree with this. If she's paying for it as a teen, it just shows that shes most likely a hard worker. She shouldn't be "punished", so to say, for that. But like you said, let her try Windows Phone, maybe she might like it.

Heck, I love WP so much, I use my 1020 side by side with my Z10.
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:08 AM
    When I was 15 I asked my dad(mom left the family for another dude) if I can get a part-time job and he was cool with it after that I started buying all my own gadgets without having to ask my dad for approval because it was my money.
    I had to wait until I had my driver's license to be able to go far enough to get a real job. Carrying papers since I was 12 didn't pay enough to do much, and mowing lawns there were enough of us doing it that none of us got rich at it.
    11-22-2013 11:11 AM
    I actually, am a teenager, and I got my first "smartphone" in 2010, when the iPhone 4 came out. In 2011, I started to be intrigued by Windows Phone, so I gave the Dell Venue Pro a try. I loved it. Then I went to the Lumia 900, now the 920.

99% of my grade uses iPhones, and it is because it has the "best" apps. It has official instagram (we just got that though, but i love 6tag) and official snapchat (again, 6snap). When phones are too "big", like people think my 920 and my sisters 1020 is (she's in college, so it's fine), they tend to think you are a little different. Like for some reason in my school, if you don't have an iPhone, you aren't cool, and your phone isn't as good. I'm not sure if your daughter would be worried about people making fun of her, just because it isn't an iPhone, but I would think it would be a good idea for her to try a Windows Phone, and see if she likes it. If she likes it, she could keep it or get a different windows phone for her needs, or if she really doesn't, she can get an iPhone. I don't think you should force her to use a Windows Phone, but have her at least try it.
    I have been reading this forum for some time and I enjoy your posts. I NEVER would have imagined you are a teenager. I wish my 40 year old daughter had as much sense.

Respectfully...................calfee20
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-22-2013 11:31 AM
    I would have her play with a 9series Lumia first, before any decision is made. She more than like wants an iPhone because of her friends, which is good and bad. So to offset that, which you started already, let her get a taste of wp8. Since you're paying half, you should have half a say, sorta speak.

She probably will end up with an iPhone, being that young. If she does, just tease her a little bit with how more fun it can be with "your" WP.
    11-22-2013 11:45 AM
    She has a ipod touch. You give her a wp phone. Lumia 822. She can share internet from 822 and use apps on ipod touch.

Back to topic. If she want a iPhone let her buy it, let her earn money and buy it. You money so your wish what will you give her.

Also there is no serious difference between iPhone and iPod touch other than calling

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    savantfool and Mellifluous like this.
    11-22-2013 11:48 AM
    How exactly is she going to be paying half the line rental? If she 13 i doubt she work unless she mean using her pocket money lol.
    I was working at 13 years old, 3 days a week and going to school. My parents wouldn't purchase things i wanted for me, so i had no choice...back then if i wanted a CD or videogame it had to come out of my account. Maybe a lot of 13 year olds dont work these days but its not all of them =P
    11-22-2013 11:49 AM
    In the end its her choice. I wanted a windows phone. Dad wanted me to get an android but got me a wp because its for me. I'm a teen too
    11-22-2013 11:50 AM
164 1234 ...