Teen daughter wants iPhone, I want to get her a Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually, am a teenager, and I got my first "smartphone" in 2010, when the iPhone 4 came out. In 2011, I started to be intrigued by Windows Phone, so I gave the Dell Venue Pro a try. I loved it. Then I went to the Lumia 900, now the 920.

99% of my grade uses iPhones, and it is because it has the "best" apps. It has official instagram (we just got that though, but i love 6tag) and official snapchat (again, 6snap). When phones are too "big", like people think my 920 and my sisters 1020 is (she's in college, so it's fine), they tend to think you are a little different. Like for some reason in my school, if you don't have an iPhone, you aren't cool, and your phone isn't as good. I'm not sure if your daughter would be worried about people making fun of her, just because it isn't an iPhone, but I would think it would be a good idea for her to try a Windows Phone, and see if she likes it. If she likes it, she could keep it or get a different windows phone for her needs, or if she really doesn't, she can get an iPhone. I don't think you should force her to use a Windows Phone, but have her at least try it.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
u cant force a smart phone on anyone..
my gf wanted an andriod , a relatively cheap one(s3)., no matter how many times i told her that WP would be more than fine(she is not a power user), for a cheaper price, she wouldnt listen..
she had an 620 for a quick trial, and it was a complain after another...altho she thought it was a great phone, she wouldnt forgive the small stuff(cant charge while turned off :D etc)
now that she owns an s3, she has some issues with it, but wouldnt complain or whine. ., she would just over look them, .. thats how ppl are .. they just want what they want :D there is no convincing them otherwise :p

Last edited:

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line is, she has an ipod touch, so she's already vested in the ios ecosystem ("it has all my apps"). Between that and peer pressure, she likely won't be happy with anything besides an iphone. I feel that if she's old enough for the responsibility of a smart phone, than she's old enough to decide which platform will work best for her.
The monthly plan won't be any different between android, ios, or wp, as they all require the same basic level of data plan. If she's OK paying the difference up front for an iphone (which can be had for ~$100 for the lower GB 5c), than I don't see a reason to try to talk her out of it.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Some of the responses in this thread are pure comedy. Talk about misdirection. Getting an iPhone over a Lumia has nothing to do with being spoiled. You don't care about the newest and greatest apps? Fine. I bet she does.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
my heart was saying let her have an iphone, but lets be honest, looking on the dark side, she is far more likely to be mugged / have stolen her iphone, than a windows phone :)

tdb1

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying a first smart phone for a teenager, you might have some interest in parental controls. I think you can block access to seedier parts of the internet on iPhone (block safari use, and then install a browser with parental controls). There is just no way to block IE and its unrestricted internet access on Windows phone. In the end, I got my teenage daughter a Windows phone, but this is something you might want to consider. For what it is worth, my daughter is generally happy with her phone, but you will catch heat anytime she can't do something her friends can do on an iPhone, but that has not really happened much. However, my daughter is not a power user - she mostly just texts, listens to music (using Nokia music) and watches YouTube videos.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd say.... Go WP route. I do like your reasoning for showing her not to do everything because its popular.

I have a sister who is 15 and I can assure you that even though she claims she can't live without it, literally everytime I see her use it, she's either texting, calling, listening to music, or getting on the internet/social media. WP has all of that. Plus, if you're already invested in the MS ecosystem then you guys can share music, videos, etc... You can explain to her that if she goes the iPhone route, she'll have to buy everything herself since you won't have an iDevice. Just my opinion though.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
When I was 15 and asked my parents if I could have a prepaid phone for birthday....
When I was 15 and had spent months entering code into my Commodore 64 to create a bulletin board system, and then asked my dad if we could get a second phone line and a 300 baud modem........

I never got my own BBS. :wink:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
When I was 15 and had spent months entering code into my Commodore 64 to create a bulletin board system, and then asked my dad if we could get a second phone line and a 300 baud modem........

I never got my own BBS. :wink:

When I was 15 I asked my dad(mom left the family for another dude) if I can get a part-time job and he was cool with it after that I started buying all my own gadgets without having to ask my dad for approval because it was my money.

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok calculate the formula like this, from my point of view way
1- Teenage + Girl
2- iPhone + Cost $
3- Apps + ecosystem

I know how hard is dealing with Girls, If they insisted on something, they have to get it !! :wink:

I believe that Windows Phone 8 will not wok fine for your daughter, She will need to feel good about her smartphone, and get Apps Store like Apple's store so she can find any application she need, and the cost of this smartphone should make your daughter happy & you save some money $.

few days ago I trade my Lumia 520 with Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini, it just feel's like iPhone 5 with more functionality, check it, it is really a nice phone with a good ecosystem & there is alot of Antiviruses available for Android, and if she will not root her device you shouldn't worry about malwares and viruses, in addition to that Samsung TouchWize UI is so much close to iOS in many ways, I was thinking that getting Samsung Galaxy S 4 mini is such a bad idea but when I play for some time with it, I felt it is really a good smartphone

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Forcing a WP on her because of your own preferences is silly. She and her friends are likely to use snapchat, Instagram or whatever new app starts trending, unlike you or many other WP users.

Moreover, if she looks on that WP as some sort of 'punishment' you've created an MS hater for life.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's the dilemma: my teen daughter (I could just stop right there...), who is on my Verizon family plan, has a "classic" cell phone. It's time to move her to a smartphone. but she uses an iPod Touch and is convinced she wants an iPhone ('it has all my apps!'). If we get her a smartphone, she will be paying half the monthly charge. I mention this because it might affect which phone she gets for which network.

I really would love for her to get a WP simply because I am getting more invested in the MS ecosystem at home, and iPhones give you less bang for the buck. She'd probably be fine with an Android phone, but I'm worried about malware, rogue apps, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a $80 Nokia 520/521 and let her mess with it for a couple weeks and then see what she thinks. The only drawback would be no front phone, but she could still check out the OS and see if the apps she wants are on there, and then I'd pick a better phone with a front camera (920 family, etc).

T-mobile seems to be the cheapest network, and she could do pay as you go.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would also appreciate any general advice about having a teenager with a smartphone.

Ha! Glad I've got 3 boys.

This is what I'd do:

I'd either buy them a L520 (my eldest has a hand-me-down L900 at the moment) or hand them down a phone I or my wife previously owned.

If one of my sons would seriously dare to request an iPhone, which in my eyes, after offering to buy them a L520 is just downright ungrateful. Then they can pay for either the iPhone or L520 themselves or whatever the hell other device they want, because I won't be treated like that by my children and I suggest you man up and do the same.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm just curious how many of the people responding have actually had this issue (with their own kids), especially the "kids today" comments.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
How exactly is she going to be paying half the line rental? If she 13 i doubt she work unless she mean using her pocket money lol.

ericsonbernabe20

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Sir in my own opinion let her get the iPhone if you are financialy have what it costs, but there's this second option if not let her take a look at WP if she partly like it then it's not a bad idea to let her see what WP and iPhones looks like, if you know what I'm talking about. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)