11-25-2013 12:51 PM
164 12345 ...
tools
    buy for her what she wants
    11-22-2013 11:51 AM
    When i was 14 i asked my dad for a phone why??? All frnds were having one.

He said if all your frnd began to eat **** will you also eat ****.??

I kept quit

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    11-22-2013 11:54 AM
    Here's my opinion: let her get the iPhone. Teens are usually big into trendy (often iPhone-exclusive) apps. If you force a WP on her, then every time her friends are using one of those flavor-of-the-month apps she might end up resenting you for it. As a parent you have to pick your battles with your kids and save your parental authority for when it counts. In the grand scheme of things, her choice of phone is hardly a high stakes decision. Sometimes it's better to let your kids make their own decisions and only exercise your parental authority when it's really important.
    11-22-2013 12:01 PM
    Thank you for the great input. I lurk a lot but rarely start posts.

It is interesting to see all the viewpoints presented thus far. I admit I was looking for practical/technical insight and opinion. I was not really expecting criticism about spoiling my child or needing to "man up". Haha! I guess that's the Internet these days! :)

I really appreciate the opinion of those with kids and from the teens who weighed in. There are some great points from several posters about the advantage of having an iPhone vs WP (newer apps first, etc).

FWIW, my daughter is a straight A student and earns about $40 a month babysitting for neighborhood families. She's a great kid. I will get the Lumia 520 anyway (as a backup for me and something for her to try), but unless she has some huge change of mind, I'm sure we'll end up with an iPhone. :)
    11-22-2013 12:11 PM
    When i was 14 i asked my dad for a phone why??? All frnds were having one.

He said if all your frnd began to eat **** will you also eat ****.??

I kept quit

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    I honestly believe that a 13 y.o. should not own a smart phone. A basic phone for emergencies is as far as I would go. Call me old school, but that's my kid and my responsibility.
    hopmedic, savantfool and jomarr like this.
    11-22-2013 02:15 PM
    Thank you for the great input. I lurk a lot but rarely start posts.

It is interesting to see all the viewpoints presented thus far. I admit I was looking for practical/technical insight and opinion. I was not really expecting criticism about spoiling my child or needing to "man up". Haha! I guess that's the Internet these days! :)

I really appreciate the opinion of those with kids and from the teens who weighed in. There are some great points from several posters about the advantage of having an iPhone vs WP (newer apps first, etc).

FWIW, my daughter is a straight A student and earns about $40 a month babysitting for neighborhood families. She's a great kid. I will get the Lumia 520 anyway (as a backup for me and something for her to try), but unless she has some huge change of mind, I'm sure we'll end up with an iPhone. :)
    If you can offer a Lumia 925/1020 highlighting the camera, you know teens these days - camera is on the top 3 ;)
    11-22-2013 02:22 PM
    Iphone is high-end smartphone, if she wants high-end than get her, atleast 820 white, it looks kidna girly(I don't know why) and is quite light, also you'll save money and with that money you could suprise her with wirless charger.
    11-22-2013 02:24 PM
    I honestly believe that a 13 y.o. should not own a smart phone. A basic phone for emergencies is as far as I would go. Call me old school, but that's my kid and my responsibility.
    This. I'm not going as far as saying "should not own a smartphone", but I'd say no to an iPhone. We're talking about a 13 year old child... As mature as she may be, accidents do happen and an iPhone isn't exactly a $100 phone...
    radmanvr, hopmedic and savantfool like this.
    11-22-2013 02:25 PM
    13 years old is kind of young for a smartphone dont you think so. My 2nd cousin still uses a regular phone and she is a freshman in college. My cousins would not buy her one, and they also do not own smartphones. They are just old school.
    hopmedic, savantfool and MrCartas like this.
    11-22-2013 02:30 PM
    Here's the dilemma: my teen daughter (I could just stop right there...), who is on my Verizon family plan, has a "classic" cell phone. It's time to move her to a smartphone. but she uses an iPod Touch and is convinced she wants an iPhone ('it has all my apps!'). If we get her a smartphone, she will be paying half the monthly charge. I mention this because it might affect which phone she gets for which network.

I really would love for her to get a WP simply because I am getting more invested in the MS ecosystem at home, and iPhones give you less bang for the buck. She'd probably be fine with an Android phone, but I'm worried about malware, rogue apps, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a $80 Nokia 520/521 and let her mess with it for a couple weeks and then see what she thinks. The only drawback would be no front phone, but she could still check out the OS and see if the apps she wants are on there, and then I'd pick a better phone with a front camera (920 family, etc).

T-mobile seems to be the cheapest network, and she could do pay as you go.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would also appreciate any general advice about having a teenager with a smartphone.
    Tmobile is not the cheapest network. They always get the money no matter what. And even carriers count towards your status. T mobile means your poor. Sprint means you don't realize you have no coverage and Verizon and AT&T are the I have money for nice things carriers. Being a Teen in one of New York State's biggest high school, if you don't have an iPhone, your a LOSER. So I carry 2. My 822 and iPhone 4. I'm a freshmen and 14 years old. And yes both of them are active and it's bleeding me dry. But I'd rather die than be labeled as a loser.
    11-22-2013 03:31 PM
    She doesn't need a front facing camera and doesn't need the latest and greatest of any phone. When it breaks, and it will, that $60/80 Lumia 521 is a lot cheaper to replace.

If you really don't care about money, get an iPhone. Else get the 521.
    Psycmeistr likes this.
    11-22-2013 03:35 PM
    Tmobile is not the cheapest network. They always get the money no matter what. And even carriers count towards your status. T mobile means your poor. Sprint means you don't realize you have no coverage and Verizon and AT&T are the I have money for nice things carriers. Being a Teen in one of New York State's biggest high school, if you don't have an iPhone, your a LOSER. So I carry 2. My 822 and iPhone 4. I'm a freshmen and 14 years old. And yes both of them are active and it's bleeding me dry. But I'd rather die than be labeled as a loser.
    When I was in high school if you had have a Yomega Roller Baring Yo-Yo and not some off brand in order to not be called a loser but the jocks still called us losers because we played with Yo-Yo's.

Basically what I am saying is you might not be a LOSER by having an iphone but I am sure there are other groups that will call iphone users LOSERS. Like hipsters who think iphone is too mainstream.
    11-22-2013 03:40 PM
    My first phone was a crappy Sanyo that I did NOT want (I asked for a Palm Treo running Windows Mobile). You know what happened? I never used it, and my parents paid for service that was wasted and I later had them cancel it and then didn't have a phone until I bought the iPhone 2G in 2007.

Most of the kids these days do not JUST do text and talk anymore. When I was that age, some of us started getting Palm Pilots and Pocket PCs (hence I wanted a phone with WM to match), and with the iPod coming into mainstream, most of us had music and playlists that we'd sort. And now that I'm 24, my usage has expanded to even more productivity, tasking, etc. My brother is only 11, but he uses the Notes, Reminders, Mail, and other apps on his iPod Touch. I would never say no to an iPhone for him, considering he gets so much out of these services.

It really has NOTHING to do with peer pressure. It's just the fact that she already has the setup she wants, and she wants to carry that over to her phone. Which is good, it shows she knows the value of her applications and wants to take that investment and take the next step to making it work for her on a device she can have on hand at all times.

Get her the iPhone. It will be cheaper in the long run. Get her a nice case and a screen protector to go with it too.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-22-2013 03:43 PM
    When I was in high school if you had have a Yomega Roller Baring Yo-Yo and not some off brand in order to not be called a loser but the jocks still called us losers because we played with Yo-Yo's.

Basically what I am saying is you might not be a LOSER by having an iphone but I am sure there are other groups that will call iphone users LOSERS. Like hipsters who think iphone is too mainstream.
    If you live your life to everyone else's expectations, you will lead a miserable life.

That's a lesson to be learned; a difficult one, to be sure, but a lesson to be learned, nonetheless.

Just go with what works. When she gets old enough to afford her own things, then she can choose for herself.
    11-22-2013 03:47 PM
    It seems to some it is all about "I want, I want, I want."

Reminds me of something that happened about 7 years ago. My kids and I were at the AirVenture Museum in Osh Kosh, during AirVenture. There was a girl who was telling her dad, "I WANT a dinosaur. I WANT a dinosaur." The dad was trying to very quietly talk her into getting something else, instead of just telling the brat no.

My son, then 11, said, "Dad, she's like Veruca Salt." I had not long before that read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to both of my kids, and then we'd watched both movies, so that they could see first hand how books are often better than movies. It seems he learned a far more valuable lesson than just that one.

Sometimes there are things more important than what our children want. We have to be not afraid to BE the parent. We need to teach them how to make good decisions, not just give them what they want.

Ultimately, the decision whether to give your daughter an iPhone or a Windows Phone is yours and yours alone (ok - Mom may get to help decide ). It is not for those of us in this forum. We can certainly offer our thoughts, but there are too many factors that we here in internet world don't know, that should be taken into consideration. Personally, I would not give a 13 year old a smartphone - at least not mine when they were 13. But we don't know your child. We don't know how responsible she is, and we don't know how trustworthy she is as far as not getting into websites that no little girl should be getting into. That is yours to decide. This is a very important decision that can have lasting repercussions beyond what most of us could think of. For your daughter's sake, I hope that you make the decision that is right for her well being.
    11-22-2013 03:53 PM
    Tell her to ask her mom (assuming you're a dude) happy wife, happy life. On a side note, is that really the name of the city you are from? I would move, too many jokes. Good luck.
    11-22-2013 03:54 PM
    Thank you for pointing out the problem with no front camera. I was still editing the post when you replied. I have no intention of getting her a phone without a front facing cam.

Heh heh... And yes, my needs ARE more important than hers. I NEED to be a good father more than she NEEDS a non-essential smartphone. I am not against her having an iPhone, I'm just trying to teach her how to make wise decisions and not just because it's popular. If she has compelling reasons for the iPhone, then that's what I will get her.
    You can only point her in the direction that you want, it's not like she's asking to be emancipated and wants to marry her cousin at 13. You can make a list along with her as to the -/+ of each but she won't be as articulate are you are "proving" her case as you are and her reasons might not be as clear as a left brained type A male, her feelings are as important as your logical reasons, men tend to devalue feelings over reason, but don't, again this is a phone, she not running off with her cousin or when she turns 16 she needs a Corvette and you want to buy her a Volvo.
    Being a good father is not only listening to her but "hearing" as in below the surface what she is saying, is she just being stubborn or trying to display a bit of independence?
    You want and need to protect her, but are you trying to protect her or just want to win this argument to prove that you know more or know better, because after all she's only 13....
    You're still trying to tell her what she NEEDS don't pretend to say you know what she needs, be honest and say that "Father knows best" because that's what you are saying.
    Again she's not making a life changing decision where your input is not only essential it's imperative. How bad do you need to win ? don't you want this to be a win win situation?
    baseballbert likes this.
    11-22-2013 04:10 PM
    The shallowness of the American teens resumed to one post. Sorry for being so blunt but it's true.
    11-22-2013 04:11 PM
    I'm older than you, and if people make fun of you, **** them. You shouldn't be judged by what phone you have. It is sad people do that though, I mean A ******* PHONE! Man...
    xandros9, dznk, savantfool and 3 others like this.
    11-22-2013 04:14 PM
    I agree with the guy above It's sad how you could be labeled as a Loser for owning anything different than an iPhone. I just don't get it! This world if ****ed up (America at least/ no offense)
    I would proudly show my Lumia 920 around NY but never like a fan boy. If it works for you OKAY why people need to scr*w other's satisfaction!
    We need a change, well teenagers need more critical thinking in general. I like WP and I'm 18 only of someone labeled me as a loser I would f*ck his face :D
    11-22-2013 04:25 PM
    Maybe I'm the only one and I mean no offense to anyone but it doesn't it seem like this thread has become more about how to parent over somebody asking for the advice of others regarding WP and an iPhone?
    11-22-2013 04:26 PM
    I'm older than you, and if people make fun of you, **** them. You shouldn't be judged by what phone you have. It is sad people do that though, I mean A ******* PHONE! Man...
    as one of the few owners of a Windows Phone (and before that a Palm Pre 2 and various PDAs) in one of the best schools in VA I like being different, most people think its cool (show them the light lol) while the generally more technically inclined either thought it sucked automatically or acknowledged I liked it and its useable as a phone.
    Save your money, put it towards something more logical like an iPod touch and 822 combo
    people mess with you, they can buy you an iPhone.

pretty much what unstoppable said.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-22-2013 04:29 PM
    That's sad what happened to young people. America is the best place to see how fuc*ed up teenagers are nowadays. It's less visible in European countries, but its just a matter of time...
    unstoppablekem and savantfool like this.
    11-22-2013 04:32 PM
    My daughter had a Windows Phone, and her account is linked to mine as a child account. I appreciate the emailed activity reports and the secondary permissions check on apps she installs and contacts she adds.
    11-22-2013 04:34 PM
    I agree with the guy above It's sad how you could be labeled as a Loser for owning anything different than an iPhone. I just don't get it! This world if ****ed up (America at least/ no offense)
    I would proudly show my Lumia 920 around NY but never like a fan boy. If it works for you OKAY why people need to scr*w other's satisfaction!
    We need a change, well teenagers need more critical thinking in general. I like WP and I'm 18 only of someone labeled me as a loser I would f*ck his face :D
    Well I own a yellow 920 and get made fun of, even with my cyan cover, and the size of it too. **** them, I like it, and they can't say **** about it. :D
    11-22-2013 04:40 PM
164 12345 ...