Very torn between sticking with Android or switching to WP8

UKGUY3082

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, new here, the Lumia 1020 has caught my eye, mainly because I want a compact camera quality camera on my phone and the ability to zoom in.

I am an Android user (Don't like iOS much) but I'm so torn between getting another Android phone or switching to the Nokia Lumia 1020!

I got a Xperia Z1 recently which I was expecting big things from, however I find the quality of the camera just doesn't live up to the hype.

My main concerns about switching to WP8 are:-

1.Lack of apps (I use Ebay a lot and I know the Ebay app is very poor compared to Android & iOS), there are also other apps that I use that are not as good on WP8, although I know apps like Instagram and Vine are now on WP8 and also that Flipboard and others are coming soon so that's an improvement.

2.Will this OS get stronger in your opinions? Or will it die? Do any of you expect it to match or beat Android and iOS in the next year or two?

3.I have a PS3 not Xbox which is a shame as I could have linked it up with my phone but obviously that's not really an important issue.

4.I want a camera that I can use to shoot footage from pubs and football matches, can you zoom any further than 3x in pictures? I know you can zoom in 4x in 1080p video and 6x in 720p video which is very good, do you lose much quality when doing this?

5.I'm worried that I will get bored with WP8 very quickly.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, new here, the Lumia 1020 has caught my eye, mainly because I want a compact camera quality camera on my phone and the ability to zoom in.

I am an Android user (Don't like iOS much) but I'm so torn between getting another Android phone or switching to the Nokia Lumia 1020!

I got a Xperia Z1 recently which I was expecting big things from, however I find the quality of the camera just doesn't live up to the hype.

My main concerns about switching to WP8 are:-

1.Lack of apps (I use Ebay a lot and I know the Ebay app is very poor compared to Android & iOS), there are also other apps that I use that are not as good on WP8, although I know apps like Instagram and Vine are now on WP8 and also that Flipboard and others are coming soon so that's an improvement.

2.Will this OS get stronger in your opinions? Or will it die? Do any of you expect it to match or beat Android and iOS in the next year or two?

3.I have a PS3 not Xbox which is a shame as I could have linked it up with my phone but obviously that's not really an important issue.

4.I want a camera that I can use to shoot footage from pubs and football matches, can you zoom any further than 3x in pictures? I know you can zoom in 4x in 1080p video and 6x in 720p video which is very good, do you lose much quality when doing this?

1) many Apps are in development and moreover many 3rd party developers have awesome apps on wp store..we have been getting many official apps and games lately !
2) OS will get stronger now that it is 3rd largest OS all around the world and placed 2nd in many countries !
WP 8.1 will be launching in the springs of 2014 with many new features.
3) There is a petition filed for a companion app of PS on windows phone...so we may or may not have the app.
4) Trust me..no other camera in market right now can beat 1020...lossless zoom is a great feature and apps like NOKIA CAMERA & NOKIA REFOCUS just enhance the camera usability on all Lumias

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I can give my opinion on a couple of your points.

Apps are probably overall my biggest issue with WP. Some people don't use apps much, especially those for whom WP is their first smartphone. Although a lot of the major apps are now available, either official or otherwise, I find the quality lacking compared to their iOS & Android counterparts. But yet, for the most part they're good enough.

I don't think WP is going anywhere anytime soon. If it does, it probably won't be in the lifetime of your Lumia 1020 if you go with that.

Quite frankly, I face boredom with WP as well. But most users don't. The UI is clean and refreshing. It is very simplistic, which is both good and bad. I get bored on all smartphones, but WP keeps me occupied the least time of all of them.

All that said, I'm hoping the 8.1 update brings WP a bit closer to the competition. I'll reassess the situation down the road.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Quite frankly, I face boredom with WP as well. WP keeps me occupied the least time of all of them.

That's how Microsoft originally marketed WP8. Spend less time on your smartphone so you can spend more time doing the stuff you love. Keep this in mind. WP8 was designed around this aspect and will continue to do so in the future.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's how Microsoft originally marketed WP8. Spend less time on your smartphone so you can spend more time doing the stuff you love. Keep this in mind. WP8 was designed around this aspect and will continue to do so in the future.

Yes I know they market it that way, and it's true. I do spend less time on my WP. But not for the reason Microsoft says. On the contrary it's much less efficient than its competition. I spend less time on it because there's not as much to do!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you are fairly active in 1) tweaking your Android phone, 2) adjust settings frequently to maximize performance, endurance, and 3) like doing so, Windows Phone is not for you. If you are willing to sort of set-it-and-forget-it, Windows Phone is great. All of the defaults work well, there's no need to turn Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other radios off/on, and the look is pretty locked down. That said, people who like actively managing their phones to optimize how they work and look, may not like having those options taken away as Windows Phone does.

I used to be a tweaker and custom ROM loaded. I learned to let it go and now like not having to do it. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered getting a small Android tablet too, maybe a Nexus 7 or even a cheaper option? I use a Lumia 920 but also have an iPad Mini for those times I need to use an app that isn't (yet) available for WP. It's very rare lately, though, and most of the time I only carry my phone now. I much prefer the WP interface and experience, and WP isn't going anywhere anytime soon; you will be ready to upgrade your 1020 long before Microsoft gives up on WP if that were to happen.

kevdogg3291

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
the lumia 1020 is the best camera phone made to date. My wife replace her Digital camera with this phone and LOVES the pictures. Windows 8 is easy to use. I have used all 4 major os's in the last 6 months, and my daily driver is a Windows 8 phone (Lumia 520)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon