I'm getting lured by android.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My son @ Technocove.com gets all these phones in on a regular bases. All kinds of android around my house including the one android phone I ever considered cheating on Windows Phone for, the HTC One. Not one ever made me want to switch. Windows Phone for me. Especially since these devs have finally figured out what design works best on Windows Phone. So no, I'm not leaving.

Yeah, the HTC One and the Xperia Z/Z1 interested me, but doesn't spark me. I even own a nexus 4, and it came out at the same time as the 920 came out. It has a quad core s4 pro processor versus the Lumia's S4 dual core, and double the RAM. But my Lumia nearly have all the issues my nexus has, and the nexus 4 is now so slow, as android always requires new hardware like every 6 months, while windows phone runs fine. I💙WP!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the HTC One and the Xperia Z/Z1 interested me, but doesn't spark me. I even own a nexus 4, and it came out at the same time as the 920 came out. It has a quad core s4 pro processor versus the Lumia's S4 dual core, and double the RAM. But my Lumia nearly have all the issues my nexus has, and the nexus 4 is now so slow, as android always requires new hardware like every 6 months, while windows phone runs fine. IWP!
That is the beauty of the Lumia 920. My phone is almost full and none of the apps behave any differently then when it was brand new. There are other Lumia's out but none like the Lumia 920. What WP are you looking at when it comes time to retire it?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
But youll be happy to dance. I don't dance. What I don't get is your disrespect.

If you thought that post was disrespectful you need thicker skin. It wasn't disrespectful. It was, however, a very unsuccessful attempt at humor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Best to Worst

1. Lumia WP (best)
2. Other WP
3. iOS
4. Android
5. Symbian OS
6. Blackberry OS
7. Other Miscellenous Phone/OS
8. Samsung Android (Worst)

Get Anything! BUT DONT EVER BUY SAMSUNG !!

blegs38552

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a T-Mobile Lumia 521 and a Kindle Fire HD on which I ran a program to convert it to an Android 4.2 tablet (go to N2Aos Android Operating Systems for the Kindle Fire to see how to do this for $20.00).

Both seem to suit my needs perfectly. I need my mobile phone to be a place where I can quickly access my email, messages, and see news, weather,appointments and tasks, financial markets and weather updates at a glance.The Lumia fits my needs perfectly and at a great price too. I use a tablet more as a reader and multimedia device. My converted Kindle is perfect for me in that regard (well, it would be if I could access my T-Mobile data plan via their cellular network).

Each, to me, has it's benefits/ Of course, if I had a WP 8 tablet, I might never use Android for anything. Maybe someone will find a way to load the WP8 O/S in a Kindle (XDFA developers, anyone?).

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That is the beauty of the Lumia 920. My phone is almost full and none of the apps behave any differently then when it was brand new. There are other Lumia's out but none like the Lumia 920. What WP are you looking at when it comes time to retire it?

The Surface Phone!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
The Surface Phone!

If MS/Nokia would release a flagship phone based on the Surface design, black, sleek and angular with cutting edge specs, I believe they would have a game changer. When the first iPhone was released it changed everything. Microsoft needs to try to do it again.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
i agree, louder actions...
Sent via tapatalk

By stonewalling WP, though, Google proves MS's point. And its not just WP, or Win 8.x - They take the same approach with OSx. Anyone try fully integrating GApps with OSx Mail, Tasks, Contacts, and Calendar? You can't - you only get the full GApps experience within the browser.

For an outrageous ad to work, there has to be some truth to it - and there certainly is with Google.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
yup! you just won't get access to google services like the play store, drive, and other fancy things

the core features like calendar and music, etc would work just fine
you could sideload apps if you really are about that
and so on

aside from side loading apps, windows phone works the same way. You don't need the Microsoft account UNLESS you are Downloading an app.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
If MS/Nokia would release a flagship phone based on the Surface design, black, sleek and angular with cutting edge specs, I believe they would have a game changer. When the first iPhone was released it changed everything. Microsoft needs to try to do it again.

...like the Surface was a game changer?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This is one thing I find great about the Microsoft services, is that if I did ever switch platforms, even though I am heavily tied to their services, I won't have to start fresh, outside of repurchasing apps for the new platform.

If only all companies could follow such a philosophy. I feel I should be able to carry all my baggage from platform to platform, not having to start over should I ever migrate ecosystems.

Sure, at present my loyalties lie wholeheartedly with Microsoft, and that's far beyond my data, but it's still the principle of the thing. I believe Microsoft recently conducted a survey where a pretty decent chunk of people said they'd switch email providers, if only it was easier to do so. What if it's the same for ecosystems?

I feel all the tech giants should get together and, somehow, make all the ecosystems' content get along and migratable. Each OS should be competing based on the quality of the OS itself, people shouldn't feel "stuck" with something they don't want just because they don't want to have to hassle with stuff that can't be used elsewhere (the biggest offender being Apple).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is one thing I find great about the Microsoft services, is that if I did ever switch platforms, even though I am heavily tied to their services, I won't have to start fresh, outside of repurchasing apps for the new platform.

The others don't have to make them available on other platforms to make them viable. If Microsoft's services were only available on WP, 4% of smartphone users would be using them. Microsoft has no choice but to make their services available on competing platforms. That's also why you see high quality Microsoft apps on iOS & Android. That's where most of the users are. Ha, Microsoft themselves seem to take their iOS & Android apps more seriously than their WP apps.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The others don't have to make them available on other platforms to make them viable. If Microsoft's services were only available on WP, 4% of smartphone users would be using them. Microsoft has no choice but to make their services available on competing platforms. That's also why you see high quality Microsoft apps on iOS & Android. That's where most of the users are. Ha, Microsoft themselves seem to take their iOS & Android apps more seriously than their WP apps.

Whatever the reasons for it, it benefits the consumers all the same, and is a model all companies should be incorporating. Let the companies compete based on the quality of their products, not the chains they have on their users!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Whatever the reasons for it, it benefits the consumers all the same, and is a model all companies should be incorporating. Let the companies compete based on the quality of their products, not the chains they have on their users!

That's nice, but it's not realistic or practical. Yes, it would benefit consumers, but very few. Microsoft, Google, and Apple are in business to make a profit and to make their shareholders happy. If Google & Apple thought there was a dollar to be made by making their ecosystems available to WP users, they would do it. Microsoft is not doing it to be nice; they are doing it because it's profitable. These are for profit businesses, not charities. Do you really believe that Microsoft would be putting their services on Android if WP had 80% of the market share and Android had 4%?

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
That's nice, but it's not realistic or practical. Yes, it would benefit consumers, but very few. Microsoft, Google, and Apple are in business to make a profit and to make their shareholders happy. If Google & Apple thought there was a dollar to be made by making their ecosystems available to WP users, they would do it. Microsoft is not doing it to be nice; they are doing it because it's profitable. These are for profit businesses, not charities. Do you really believe that Microsoft would be putting their services on Android if WP had 80% of the market share and Android had 4%?

Yes. But not to be charitable, but because they want people using their services, regardless of what platform they are on. I think they've always strived to make their software and services available on all platforms. I mean, look at MS Office. That is, and has been for quite some time, available on Apple computers and Windows has the majority of the market in regards to OS's and has for quite some time. They don't have to make Office available on Apple computers, but they do.

Edit: Anyway, my original point stands. Regardless of the reason why they do it, it is nice to be able to use their services and not be locked into a platform.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

The Lumia 920 is a tank, and yes it's just as swift as the day I got it. If it gets the big update in the spring, I'll be a happy camper. If not, I'm still sticking with tiles. Android and Google are both great, but Windows Phone, quirky as it is, is one heck of a solid OS... more apps and a wider user base are on the way in 2014 I'm sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo