I'm getting lured by android.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is a tank, and yes it's just as swift as the day I got it. If it gets the big update in the spring, I'll be a happy camper. If not, I'm still sticking with tiles. Android and Google are both great, but Windows Phone, quirky as it is, is one heck of a solid OS... more apps and a wider user base are on the way in 2014 I'm sure.

I love some of quirks in Windows Phone! They're so silly, I just love 'em!!! So long as they don't impact performance, let them be, because I love that my phone is as quirky as I am.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes. But not to be charitable, but because they want people using their services, regardless of what platform they are on. I think they've always strived to make their software and services available on all platforms. I mean, look at MS Office. That is, and has been for quite some time, available on Apple computers and Windows has the majority of the market in regards to OS's and has for quite some time. They don't have to make Office available on Apple computers, but they do.

They make Office available on Apple computers because it's profitable, not because they want to be nice. If it wouldn't pay they wouldn't do it.

Let's look at Windows Phone, Microsoft's own OS, as an example. Why is the Skype app on WP crap, but very good on iOS & Android? Why doesn't Microsoft develop a 1st party Remote Desktop app for WP like they did for iOS & Android?

Edit: Anyway, my original point stands. Regardless of the reason why they do it, it is nice to be able to use their services and not be locked into a platform.

Yes, I agree with you there. I use both WP & Android, and it's very nice to be able to access the same Microsoft services on both. I wish Google services were available on WP.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
They make Office available on Apple computers because it's profitable, not because they want to be nice. If it wouldn't pay they wouldn't do it.

That's exactly my point. Their goal is to get people to use their services, regardless of what platform they are using, because in the end, that is what is profitable for them. That was a reply to your question, "Do you really believe that Microsoft would be putting their services on Android if WP had 80% of the market share and Android had 4%?" My answer is yes. To get people using their services, regardless of what platform they are on, because that is profitable to them. The same way MS Office is still available for Apple computers, even though Windows probably has more than 80% of the market share.

Edit: As for Skype and RDP and similar, I can only hope that MS is striving for a much more ambitious and integrated experience from things of that nature for Windows Phone, which could lead to much more development required to plan it out right. Probably not the case, but it's what I'd like to think they are doing.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
..... If Google & Apple thought there was a dollar to be made by making their ecosystems available to WP users, they would do it. Microsoft is not doing it to be nice; they are doing it because it's profitable.

How about $10s of thousands of dollars a year? My first work project of the new year is moving our mail system from Google Apps Business to Office 365/Exchange online.

Why? Because Microsoft has a product that works pretty darn well cross platform. Google Apps - not so much. Their OSx integration is surprisingly pretty lousy, unless you want to work within the web interface, which is itself unspeakably atrocious.

Profit for Microsoft? Sure. Lost profit for Google? Even more so. The annual costs will be about 30% more....profit Google could have had if they weren't so full of themselves.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly my point. Their goal is to get people to use their services, regardless of what platform they are using, because in the end, that is what is profitable for them.

How about $10s of thousands of dollars a year? My first work project of the new year is moving our mail system from Google Apps Business to Office 365/Exchange online.

Why? Because Microsoft has a product that works pretty darn well cross platform. Google Apps - not so much. Their OSx integration is surprisingly pretty lousy, unless you want to work within the web interface, which is itself unspeakably atrocious.

Profit for Microsoft? Sure. Lost profit for Google? Even more so. The annual costs will be about 30% more....profit Google could have had if they weren't so full of themselves.

So you're telling me that Google has no clue that they're losing profit by not providing a solid cross platform experience on WP? Quick, somebody tell them!

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Sergei? Eric? You're the one who stated if there was a dollar to be made, they would do it. No, they have other motives and means of monetizing their product

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
If you find practicality in using multiple devices with different OS, go for it. I can't find use in a second phone with myself owning a win 8 tablet. It'll never get used

Android has definitely come a long way, but I can't use it. Nor ios.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I too am like many of the posters, currently have 920, and HTC One. So tired of the damn HTC always nagging me to sign in to this, sign in to that, just because Google wants me to. After 2 weeks playing with the 920, the ONLY thing I am missing is a 100% reliable texting app since I don't pay for that service. I know either Skype or Viber will get it perfect one of these days so it's all good, but dropping the sim back in my One only reminds me of how smooth 8 is across my devices, and I quickly drop back to the 920. I can only imagine how awesome the 1020 or 1520 are.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh ya, and to answer why MS is putting apps on Android, it's because they have always been cool like that, Google, not so much, I am so tired of the FTW attitude coming from them these days.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh ya, and to answer why MS is putting apps on Android, it's because they have always been cool like that, Google, not so much, I am so tired of the FTW attitude coming from them these days.

I agree, Google just seems to be a company that can do no wrong in the public eye. I exaggerate by a lot of course. After all, the web is still slams after the YouTube comment revamp.

Nonetheless, I just love how everyone flips out at NSA spying, yet Google openly does it and no one gives a rat's ***. I despise it on both accounts, however, I'm aware Google needs to make money some how.

Google can leave the data harvesting on by default, but they should make it clearer to users what they're doing and make it very accessible to opt out.

Luiskp

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all you guys!

Since 2012, i was using WP8, first with my Lumia 820. After a laundry accident, I damaged my phone, and used a Xperia P for a couple months ( I missed WP8 and Lumia Camera Quality at that instance).

Then i buyed a Lumia 822, and used for couple months also... then LTE came to my country so i Bought a HTC 8X (great Cam, regular battery) - Was a Bargain (I missed Nokia at that moment)...

But the time I was planning to buy the 8X, was getting tempted by Moto X or something similar, but my hearth kept pushing for WP.

Today, after sharing a week with my brother, he bought a Note 3 (Great phone), i pulled the trigger waiting in my mind, and decided to buy a Moto X 16 GB.

I love WP, but for now I got the Chromecast, all my family has Android, and buyed an excellent phone by reviews (not received yet).

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
got lumia black on my 820 in india.. ppl who have downloaded gdr3 preview r getting d update (only 820 n 920).. its only nokia update n nothing from ms.. so i guess d preview is now d final version of gdr3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro