I'm getting lured by android.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
My family all use Lumia brand, but one decided to get galaxy note 3. I had to get my dad that phone under my name, so I recently set it all up for him and explained everything. It is a beautiful hardware, and the fact that the s-pen is there and is pressure sensitive made it even more mesmerizing. There are so many things you can do. I am a loyal WP fan and I'm sucked into the ecosystem (music, movies, services) but the hardware that Samsung has got on note3 is making me rethink everything.
I am hoping that Nokia made the 1520 as an intro to big phones, their next step is a note3 clone as well as WP and Win RT merging. I am giving WP another year, or I may end up using 2 phones.

Samsung's Note 3 just reminds me too much of Windows Mobile when it had pens and seemed like a small computer. It just feels great to use. Doesn't help that I am up for an upgrade, so I am holding and waiting for the next best thing from Nokia.
I'm on Tmobile, so I can't have 1520 or 1020.

I could technically use android IF Microsoft has Xbox music, Xbox movies, one note and Office on there. I just have to get use to the old way of tapping icons. Not a fan of that since Live Tile.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
This is why you have both. I have a nexus 5 and Lumia 1020 and Samsung Ativ S :). Though I mostly use my Samsung Ativ S.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You last paragraph is the key point with me. With something so important as the start screen/basic GUI being better on WP, it makes it hard to use other phones, even when they have some better features.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly there have been several times I have been lured to android. Everytime I hear about an app that windows phone has yet to get or sometimes when I get frustrated with various things that windows phone lacks.

I then go and get an android phone...i had a nexus 4 and HTC one this year briefly.

I get reminded everytime why I can't stand android and that's why I won't ever use it voluntarily again. Sometimes when we try something new and different it does seem better but the longer you use it you will definitely see that it is not all what it seems sometimes. And that's how i felt using android.

If i DID go with android, i would never ever buy a Samsung product again. Had the first three galaxy devices and i just hate Samsung in general. HTC or sony for me.

So i would be careful about being lured away because i learned my lesson :)

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been going through the settings screens on the LG G2 and galaxy s4 that coworkers have, and I have to say... For the tinkerer in me, android has what windows phone is missing. That's what most people don't like, I get it, I get it... But as I got away from apple and jail breaking I got into WP, loved everything just looking great as is. Then I get an itch and want to mess with stuff, but there's not a whole lot to mess with.

I love Xbox music, movies, and the office suite, I'll never change from outlook either, so services and the Windows 8.1 OS will keep me loyal, on the phone front though, I'm just looking for something... Else.

Maybe WP 8.1 will blow me away, and I'll trade the G2 I'm planning on getting back for a 929... Who knows?!

Wilguens Joachin

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly there have been several times I have been lured to android. Everytime I hear about an app that windows phone has yet to get or sometimes when I get frustrated with various things that windows phone lacks.

I then go and get an android phone...i had a nexus 4 and HTC one this year briefly.

I get reminded everytime why I can't stand android and that's why I won't ever use it voluntarily again. Sometimes when we try something new and different it does seem better but the longer you use it you will definitely see that it is not all what it seems sometimes. And that's how i felt using android.

If i DID go with android, i would never ever buy a Samsung product again. Had the first three galaxy devices and i just hate Samsung in general. HTC or sony for me.

So i would be careful about being lured away because i learned my lesson :)

I felt tthe same way couple years ago when I switched to android(was using apple). Than I got the L1520, my very first windows phones. my eyes opened. I'm not saying that WP is better... Well... In some ways... Actually in a lot of ways lol.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
What's so special about Xbox Music and Movies? Google play has Music, Movies, books, tv shows, comics, and magazines.

Just asking.
I already have collections of tons of music and movies that can be streamed on WP, surface 2, or Xbox. I'm already on the Microsoft ecosystem.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I already have collections of tons of music and movies that can be streamed on WP, surface 2, or Xbox. I'm already on the Microsoft ecosystem.

yeah, and the fact that you can still use the Microsoft ecosystem on any other platform is very nice.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If you really like to tinker and customize, Android is your device. It can be a blessing and a curse, though. Android customization can become a Quest for The Holy Grail - a never ending search for the next tweak, widget, UI layer, ROM, etc.

Personally, I gave that up a while ago, and just enjoy my WP.....

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I just moved away from galaxy note to 1520. Problem with Samsung devices are that they become laggy. Don't know if that's because of android or touch wiz or a combination of both. Most community roms give up functionality or a feature for speed and had bugs. Plus the phone started crashing for no reason randomly and lagging after extended use.

Sent from my GT-I9100

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I was lured back to android this summer. I was using a HTC 8X and loving it. I decided to buy a brand new Note 1 off eBay and sell my 8x. I liked the Note but wanted something newer so I bought a LG G2. That phone is fantastic, I still have it and will use it when I grow tired of my new 1520. Don't limit yourself to one OS. I currently have 1 WP device and 2 androids. The rest of my house is full of iPhones.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am now a die hard WP fan, switched from Samsung Galaxy T679 / Nexus 4 to a Lumia 521 in October. I currently have 7 Lumia 822, 2 Lumia 810 and 1 Lumia 521 to give you an idea of how badly I have been sucked in:) I was a tinkerer with my Android because a] the OS allows it b] Touchwiz was lousy! WP8 does not need to allow tinkering for the most part because out of box stuff works pretty well at least for my needs.

To get rid of lagginess on my Samsung, I rooted it, and removed every last piece of bloatware including stock browser. The phone then ran like a champ, not one crash or reboot in 4 months. I really liked it after I removed pretty much all bloatware and Samsung nonsense especially with the MotoG background:)

That said I am currently eyeing a Lumia 925 (gotta be with T-Mo).

P.S. Multiple phones are on sale though. I need one 925 and one back-up phone. If anyone needs a backup device or a cheap play phone please PM. Oh and if you want parts or help fixing something on 810 or 822 do not hesitate to ask.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I used to root and flash roms and what not to my phone. That got annoying simply to remove or flash the new software to my phone that was using severely outdated software.

I guess I can see the time people put into like hacking their computers or something but for a phone I guess I never understood the fascination of roms and rooting.

To each their own I suppose :) I always hated the fact that if you wanted to unlock your phones full potential or you wanted to update your phone software because the OEM offers zero or slow support for it that you had to root.

Si Haworth

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
If you really like to tinker and customize, Android is your device. It can be a blessing and a curse, though. Android customization can become a Quest for The Holy Grail - a never ending search for the next tweak, widget, UI layer, ROM, etc.

So much this. I could never stop messing around with an Android device, but was never quite sure why.

WP8 gives me just the right amount of customisation. Live tile sizes and colours is fine with me.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

the thing I miss about WM6 is that I actually had found said holy grail- I had all the tweaks and all the programs I could have ever wanted, my home UI layout with "live panels" (titanium basically had live tiles) was essentially as good as it could possibly be.

I had a mature and stable setup. Was amazing. My friend has had android for years now and in his quest for the holy grail, simple things like SMS STILL frequently just don't work because "this and that". Psh android. And he claims there's a backup/restore he can implement, but he hasn't done it in the 5 years he's been tinkering. With Wm6's xda_uc I could hard reset and it would automatically restore my programs, settings, program settings, layout, everything, exactly the way I wanted it. Hell I'd just hard reset instead of restarting half the time, it was so easy!

Lol.

flawless73

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've just recently whent from the lumia 820 to the LG g2 on Verizon and OMG I love this phone it's way better than anything that nokia puts out besides the ramp camera ain't nothing touching nokia in that department but this lg g2 phone is the **** this phone will last a full day to the next morning On full charge crazy!

Sent from my VS980 4G using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Stock Android has quickly become the most beautiful UI out there. There's a lot of stuff still frustrating about Android but the Moto X and the Nexus 5 could well be the best phones on the market right now and Google Now is simply incredible. I like my 8X fine, but Google Now is irreplaceable.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Stock Android has been very much improved, IMO. I still prefer WP8, but Android isn't the hot mess it was when I bought my first smartphone and chose WP7 over the equivalent Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05