iPhone market share projected to be 68% in US by the time the market saturates

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The typical smartphone user isn't a "kid" with an iphone. "kids" with iphones are RICH. Don't dare do that American BS of calling rich people "middle class."
I used to live in Oxnard California and it is a largely Hispanic working class town and kids aren't rich by any means and almost every kid
-high school age- I see has an iPhone,
They get after school jobs to get an iPhone, my 12 year old niece who's parents are working class, he's a mechanic and she's a afterschool aid live in Merced California -farm country, has an iPhone when I saw her a few months ago she proudly displayed her iPhone with a "I paid for it myself I got a job after school" Rich kids get their parents to buy them an iPhone, middle class and lower middle class kids work to get the money to buy them. I don't know where you're from but most kids I see if they have a smartphone have an iPhone. They also come pretty cheap with a contract in the USA, these kids aren't buying unlocked iPhones at full retail like iPhones are sold in the rest of the world.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't see this happening at all. They may get a few percentage points higher but the big swing is toward cheaper (but almost as functional) phones like the 520, 525, Moto G etc. Apple has been in a slight decline in most areas of the world except the US and Japan. With the rejection of the China Mobile deal the door has been shut on Apple in China at least for now; but probably forever. China is heavy toward Android because it gives its carriers more choices than the few offerings by Apple which are too expensive too boot. The US and Japan are the strongholds of Apple, but peopel see what is happening in the rest of the world and the trend is away from them, not toward them. Apple will always be around, but their hayday is gone. People are also moving away from 2 year plans that are so dominant in the US. I know when my plan is over it will be unlocked phones from now on and never on a plan again. I will go where I can get the best deal with decent coverage. Its going to take a few years; but AT&T and Verizon can see the writing on the wall. The decline in plans are also going to put a dent in the desireabiliy of getting an expensive phone if you sign up for a 2 year plan. This is also going to hurt Apple.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't see this happening at all. They may get a few percentage points higher but the big swing is toward cheaper (but almost as functional) phones like the 520, 525, Moto G etc. Apple has been in a slight decline in most areas of the world except the US and Japan. With the rejection of the China Mobile deal the door has been shut on Apple in China at least for now; but probably forever. China is heavy toward Android because it gives its carriers more choices than the few offerings by Apple which are too expensive too boot. The US and Japan are the strongholds of Apple, but peopel see what is happening in the rest of the world and the trend is away from them, not toward them. Apple will always be around, but their hayday is gone. People are also moving away from 2 year plans that are so dominant in the US. I know when my plan is over it will be unlocked phones from now on and never on a plan again. I will go where I can get the best deal with decent coverage. Its going to take a few years; but AT&T and Verizon can see the writing on the wall. The decline in plans are also going to put a dent in the desireabiliy of getting an expensive phone if you sign up for a 2 year plan. This is also going to hurt Apple.

I've been off-contract since '07 and have never looked back. It's a big up-front hit when you buy a phone at full price, but you don't have to get the newest phone. It's no different than buying a 6 month old car with 5000 miles on the clock. You still have the balance of the factory warranty but you saved a ton of money (especially if you switch to GEICO). :wink:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
People are also moving away from 2 year plans that are so dominant in the US. <snip> Its going to take a few years; but AT&T and Verizon can see the writing on the wall. The decline in plans are also going to put a dent in the desireabiliy of getting an expensive phone if you sign up for a 2 year plan. This is also going to hurt Apple.

You bring up an excellent point. After AT&T's announcement of possibly reducing subsidies, I would think Apple would be worried. If AT&T goes through with it, I would think Verizon would follow. It's not hard to pay $199 or even $299 up front, but $799 will make most people gulp. And yes, you're ultimately fully paying for your phone, but it's not as noticeable when on contract. WP & Android both have decent lower cost phones, but Apple doesn't. If subsidies end, I don't see how Apple can keep up their current pace of high volume high dollar devices.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't see that happening, Samsung is putting up one heck of a fight (or killing, depending i guess)

I don't think WP's can really factor in at this point.

At my school, the "phonographics" (i pretty much made that up) is with nearly everyone who has a smartphone toting either a Samsung Galaxy S3+, iPhone 4+.
And then there's a few others like a bunch of Nexii, bunch of HTC Ones, a couple lower end Samsungs, the occassional iPhone 3GS, and of course, the relatively rare Lumia. (HTC's are rare, although I saw my health teacher with a blue-purple 8X last year)

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Bullsh#$. IPhones are like 25% now and declining. SG3&4 are e
Kicking ads. There's still residual from the last 2 years but apple is not growing. This is the usual from the tech media. Its not based on anything other than personal preference .

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
True. But remember a couple months ago when it was reported that WP was the fastest growing mobile OS because it grew by 158% in a quarter? Same thing.

Not exactly the same thing but I agree that everybody used them, including Microsoft.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Given that I did just recently leave High School, I don't know i don't think so.
This is not like the 90s or early 2000s where kids got ridiculed for having the "Knock off" electronics and what not.

With all the multitude of choices in phones, i believe my generation is least likely to get ridiculed by their choice of phone tbh. It's usually taste in music(Ew, you like Gaga Or Bieber) lol but i doubt most teens will sit around and judge another teen because they use a different type of phone.

Although we did tease my friend Alex...He had been rocking a flip phone for ages and I finally got him to upgrade to a Lumia 925 recently. But that was in good fun.

Now I DO think that Teens aka my age group are more likely to go iPhone when they think that the same apps their friends use are not available on Windows Phone(though that is quickly changing it looks like). And I do think ever since iPhone went to other carriers besides Att, the iPhone lost its sort of special factor(since anyone can get an iPhone now) so most teens really don't care about what phone their friends have....as long as they can still use the same app.

KIk for example...quite popular. It is absolute crap on WP but the iPhone version of the app works fine....It's no WP fault...It's kik's fault tbh.

Whatsapp JUST recently started being great....even though it has been working perfectly on iPhone.

and let's not forget Skype which for whatever reason pales in comparison to the Android and iPhone counterparts.

But that's just my opinion anyway :p
I believe it, Apple is...

I saw a bunch of kids in a mall giving one of their friends a really hard time for having a 1520
''why u have a sidewalk in your pocket that's stupid get a iphone dude wtf ! " every kid was laughing at him.
I bet he returns it for the iphone. Kids will be the determining factor in 2017

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually Android has 81% of the world market. WP is growing; even Samsung makes a couple of WP phones they are covering all the bases. Say what you like you have to admire what Samsung has done. They have gone from being a minor player to the major force in Smartphones. While I am a WP person (and my wife just became one), I dont' see anyone getting as big as they are. BUT it was not too loong ago they were in the same position WP is now, you never know. Humans are strange creatures, we could all be using Firefox phones a few years from now ?????????????????????

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't see 68% happening. All other articles speak about Android continued growth over iPhone, even in the U.S. Many people were turned off by the latest offerings of the iPhone5S and 5C many have had problems with it. I know of a few people who dislike iOS7. I agree, it's ugly. I want a grown up UI, not something developed for teenage girls. The pastel color pallet of iOS7 looks like the skittles leprechaun threw up everywhere.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I used to live in Oxnard California and it is a largely Hispanic working class town and kids aren't rich by any means and almost every kid
-high school age- I see has an iPhone,
They get after school jobs to get an iPhone, my 12 year old niece who's parents are working class, he's a mechanic and she's a afterschool aid live in Merced California -farm country, has an iPhone when I saw her a few months ago she proudly displayed her iPhone with a "I paid for it myself I got a job after school" Rich kids get their parents to buy them an iPhone, middle class and lower middle class kids work to get the money to buy them.

Is that right...

It amazes me how shielded from economic reality a lot of my fellow Americans are.

We often talk about the $50 Lumia 520, but it's locked to AT&T. The unlocked version, which I imagine is what's sold in the rest of the world, costs >$150 in the US. What do 520's cost in the rest of the world?

I don't "often talk about the $50 Lumia 520." That was the first time I've seen it and mentioned it. And you can certainly go out and get a 520 in the US that isn't locked to at&t. Tmobile routinely sells one for $80 something dollars off contract. If you get a 520 in the US and pay anywhere near $150 off contract for it you are getting totally ripped off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa