03-11-2014 07:08 AM
105 12345
tools
    Great Christmas joke
    Early April fools :D
    12-25-2013 01:32 PM
    By a quick show of hands, how many here are manufacturers? OK, nobody. In other words, I/we don't give a hairy rat's *** about patents. We do however, care about a quality built phone with good battery life, excellent voice quality and a hearty app selection. Having had a heart attack at 46 you would think I would be interested in a heart monitor. Fact is, I caught mine early because I paid attention to my body and not some phone or a watch.
    I'm very glad you recovered from your heart attack.
    Do you think these patents actually have any relevance to Apple's product plans?
    12-25-2013 01:42 PM
    Well why don't you enlighten us. Name three applications this technology can be used for that doesn't already exist...
    Perhaps you saw my previous post about 'prior art'. I can't comment on these patents as I haven't read them.
    Patents applied for by a company do not automatically equal plans for products by that company.
    It takes a long time for patents to be granted, so these are ideas that Apple employees had probably a few years ago.
    12-25-2013 01:45 PM
    Apple Granted 23 Patents Today Including an Embedded Heart Rate Monitor that could be integrated into a future iWatch - Patently Apple

Already a 64-bit A7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved Siri/Maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iPhone 6.
    Ah, another iMoreian escaped again!!
    12-25-2013 01:47 PM
    Ah, another iMoreian escaped again!!
    xD Oh no not again
    neo158 likes this.
    12-25-2013 02:27 PM
    Now the rumors are Apple will release a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen 5" iPhone in 2014. Guys, why even bother anymore. Apple has all the apps, the best hardware, best commercials, best corporate image, best everything.
    12-25-2013 03:00 PM
    Just because apple patented these stuff, by the time this all comes to life, other competitors will have cool stuff by then too. :)
    12-25-2013 03:16 PM
    Now the rumors are Apple will release a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen 5" iPhone in 2014. Guys, why even bother anymore. Apple has all the apps, the best hardware, best commercials, best corporate image, best everything.
    Do you think a bezel-less screen is a good idea? Where will you put your fingers, especially if you have some overhanging finger fat?
    Editguy1900 and mister2d like this.
    12-25-2013 03:18 PM
    Bye
    12-25-2013 03:32 PM
    Do you think a bezel-less screen is a good idea? Where will you put your fingers, especially if you have some overhanging finger fat?
    Apple has already solved the issue of touching the edges when the user is not intending to interact, but just hold. Basically a physics-based gesture system that detects if a touch originated from near the middle of the screen and having a vector pointing towards the edge. That way iOS can know if it's just the user holding the phone vs making a horizontal swipe towards the edge. Apple engineers have already solved this problem. The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).
    12-25-2013 04:03 PM
    Perhaps you saw my previous post about 'prior art'. I can't comment on these patents as I haven't read them.
    Patents applied for by a company do not automatically equal plans for products by that company.
    It takes a long time for patents to be granted, so these are ideas that Apple employees had probably a few years ago.
    Well I did. It seems AAPL wants to use it as some sort of authentication method. Given the fingerprint sensor on the IP5 they seem to have an interest in biometric technologies. This would also fit with AAPL's business style which is to take failed technologies, slap some lipstick on them and suddenly they are now "cool".

Of course the problem with biometrics is unless you are sporting some very advanced equipment it can be easily circumvented.
    12-25-2013 04:31 PM
    I'm very glad you recovered from your heart attack.
    Do you think these patents actually have any relevance to Apple's product plans?
    You don't "recover" from a heart attack, you try to not have a second one. Thanks for the concern. As for the patents, the courts haven't exactly lowered the boom on any company that has "infringed" on Apple's claims. A fine here and a fine there is a token response. Samsung isn't filing Chapter 7 anytime soon.
    12-25-2013 04:57 PM
    soooo tell me again how this is game over. how is having 64-bit processor and a heart rate monitor make my life simpler ?
    Why the Hell do I want the NSA to know my heart rate?

12-25-2013 07:33 PM
    Why the Hell do I want the NSA to know my heart rate?

That made me LOL!
    snowmutt and BIGPADDY like this.
    12-25-2013 07:40 PM
    Apple and MSFT can share patents.
    12-25-2013 07:42 PM
    . The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).
    You mean kind of like how Metro/Modern has the text headers flow off the screen to give the perception of further "off screen" content?
    12-25-2013 09:54 PM
    Smartwatch.. iwatch.. Its useless..
    12-25-2013 11:42 PM
    I prefer this type of watch.

12-25-2013 11:51 PM
    12-26-2013 03:27 AM
    Apple has already solved the issue of touching the edges when the user is not intending to interact, but just hold. Basically a physics-based gesture system that detects if a touch originated from near the middle of the screen and having a vector pointing towards the edge. That way iOS can know if it's just the user holding the phone vs making a horizontal swipe towards the edge. Apple engineers have already solved this problem. The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).
    That would solve the problem for gestures towards the edge of the screen. What about:
    - Gestures towards the centre of the screen?
    - Gestures tangential to the centre of the screen?
    - Tapping on buttons, links, etc near the edge of the screen?
    12-26-2013 04:54 AM
    Smartwatch.. iwatch.. Its useless..
    I have to agree at this time, however, in the future who knows. And I'm not referring just to Apple. I really think some type of wearable phone will be the way to go, it's just a matter of first quality device to market. (but please, no glasses, too creepy)
    12-26-2013 06:56 AM
    apple granted 23 patents today including an embedded heart rate monitor that could be integrated into a future iwatch - patently apple

already a 64-bit a7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved siri/maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iphone 6.
    rotflmao!!!!
    12-26-2013 07:00 AM
    Like Apple was the first with a 64-bit phone, which in every other case as well, they are not the first....

A little bit is dripping off your chin.....on the left side there.
    12-26-2013 07:01 AM
    People who buy iPhones don't have hearts anyway. They are made of stone. And go baaaa. Stone sheep.
    ಠ_ಠ
    12-26-2013 07:37 AM
    Like Apple was the first with a 64-bit phone, which in every other case as well, they are not the first....

A little bit is dripping off your chin.....on the left side there.
    The majority of us here are arse clowns (myself included). When it comes from someone legit, you have to give them credit.....http://blog.hubspot.com/uattr/qualco...-hit-us-in-gut
    12-26-2013 07:37 AM
105 12345