Apple just won the phone wars - game set and match.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Apple Granted 23 Patents Today Including an Embedded Heart Rate Monitor that could be integrated into a future iWatch - Patently Apple

Already a 64-bit A7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved Siri/Maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iPhone 6.

I'm sure you are not old enough to remember this but go online and Bing the newspaper headlines the morning after the 1948 Presidential election. It's says Dewey's beats Truman. Problem was, it was printed way before all the polls had closed and Truman carried most of the western states to get elected.

My point, never believe what you read, what you hear and only half of what you see.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I am all in on this Apple stuff now. I am scared for MS's future. This going-nowwhere-doing-nothing-never-get-headlines corporation that has no resources, very little money, and no basis on which to build on is getting BURRIED by the mobile juggernaut that is Apple.

Because EVERYTHING Apple does turns to gold and buries Microsoft, Google, Samsung and all the other competition. I mean, look at their Macs which outsell MS products, their Smart TV's which outsell LG, Samsung and Vizio, their mapping tech with Tom-Tom which has Nokia shaking in their boots, their search engine is kicking Google and Bing to the curb on mobile devices, the iPhone 5C is a runaway success, iTunes is so reasonably priced and the ONLY real option for media and is so easy to use, the iPhone hasn't lost ANY sales, the iPad is the only tablet with any success still to this day....

*pulls muscle laughing, unable to keep a straight face any longer*

God, I wish I could write that kind of sarcasm. You have a very elegant talent. So Snowmutt.LOL

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I say Apple hasn't won the war till, they manage to put a Defibrillator along with the Heart Monitor, ya know, ?ause when your heart rate is arrhythmic it can revive you.

Or,

Even more UID for NSA. Why not incorporate a Polymerase Chain Reaction Machine along with a Gene Sequencer so that the phone can upload your entire genome?

As far as I'm concerned Battery life on my phone is important, so that I can call in an emergency, rather than measuring my adrenalized(I don't even know if that is a word, if it isn't I claim rights to it ;) )heart rate.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You guys really have no idea about patents.

By a quick show of hands, how many here are manufacturers? OK, nobody. In other words, I/we don't give a hairy rat's *** about patents. We do however, care about a quality built phone with good battery life, excellent voice quality and a hearty app selection. Having had a heart attack at 46 you would think I would be interested in a heart monitor. Fact is, I caught mine early because I paid attention to my body and not some phone or a watch.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Apple Granted 23 Patents Today Including an Embedded Heart Rate Monitor that could be integrated into a future iWatch - Patently Apple

Already a 64-bit A7 processor with motion co-processor(now we know for hover touch and eye tracking). Embedded heart-rate monitor and improved Siri/Maps. It's game over folks. In 2015, anyone who has 2 bits to rub together is buying an iPhone 6.
I really don't understand how this means they win, is Samsung alson rumored to have eye tracking and heart rate in the gs5?

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Yep, it's always good to know that when your embedded heart-rate monitor stops you're dead! Great help for the first aid guy who looks at my iPhone just to make sure.....

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
By a quick show of hands, how many here are manufacturers? OK, nobody. In other words, I/we don't give a hairy rat's *** about patents. We do however, care about a quality built phone with good battery life, excellent voice quality and a hearty app selection. Having had a heart attack at 46 you would think I would be interested in a heart monitor. Fact is, I caught mine early because I paid attention to my body and not some phone or a watch.

I'm very glad you recovered from your heart attack.
Do you think these patents actually have any relevance to Apple's product plans?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Well why don't you enlighten us. Name three applications this technology can be used for that doesn't already exist...

Perhaps you saw my previous post about 'prior art'. I can't comment on these patents as I haven't read them.
Patents applied for by a company do not automatically equal plans for products by that company.
It takes a long time for patents to be granted, so these are ideas that Apple employees had probably a few years ago.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Now the rumors are Apple will release a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen 5" iPhone in 2014. Guys, why even bother anymore. Apple has all the apps, the best hardware, best commercials, best corporate image, best everything.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Now the rumors are Apple will release a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen 5" iPhone in 2014. Guys, why even bother anymore. Apple has all the apps, the best hardware, best commercials, best corporate image, best everything.

Do you think a bezel-less screen is a good idea? Where will you put your fingers, especially if you have some overhanging finger fat?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you think a bezel-less screen is a good idea? Where will you put your fingers, especially if you have some overhanging finger fat?

Apple has already solved the issue of touching the edges when the user is not intending to interact, but just hold. Basically a physics-based gesture system that detects if a touch originated from near the middle of the screen and having a vector pointing towards the edge. That way iOS can know if it's just the user holding the phone vs making a horizontal swipe towards the edge. Apple engineers have already solved this problem. The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa