Apple just won the phone wars - game set and match.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you saw my previous post about 'prior art'. I can't comment on these patents as I haven't read them.
Patents applied for by a company do not automatically equal plans for products by that company.
It takes a long time for patents to be granted, so these are ideas that Apple employees had probably a few years ago.

Well I did. It seems AAPL wants to use it as some sort of authentication method. Given the fingerprint sensor on the IP5 they seem to have an interest in biometric technologies. This would also fit with AAPL's business style which is to take failed technologies, slap some lipstick on them and suddenly they are now "cool".

Of course the problem with biometrics is unless you are sporting some very advanced equipment it can be easily circumvented.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm very glad you recovered from your heart attack.
Do you think these patents actually have any relevance to Apple's product plans?

You don't "recover" from a heart attack, you try to not have a second one. Thanks for the concern. As for the patents, the courts haven't exactly lowered the boom on any company that has "infringed" on Apple's claims. A fine here and a fine there is a token response. Samsung isn't filing Chapter 7 anytime soon.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
. The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).

You mean kind of like how Metro/Modern has the text headers flow off the screen to give the perception of further "off screen" content?

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Or these
tumblr_miuexilwsd1s69hf5o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2zpuv1LxZ1r2kcado1_1280.jpg

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Apple has already solved the issue of touching the edges when the user is not intending to interact, but just hold. Basically a physics-based gesture system that detects if a touch originated from near the middle of the screen and having a vector pointing towards the edge. That way iOS can know if it's just the user holding the phone vs making a horizontal swipe towards the edge. Apple engineers have already solved this problem. The bigger issue with having a bezel-less screen is lack of framing. The eye tends to wander without at least a minimal frame. So in the interests of ergonomics Apple might keep a minimal bezel(like on the Galaxy devices).

That would solve the problem for gestures towards the edge of the screen. What about:
- Gestures towards the centre of the screen?
- Gestures tangential to the centre of the screen?
- Tapping on buttons, links, etc near the edge of the screen?

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Smartwatch.. iwatch.. Its useless..
I have to agree at this time, however, in the future who knows. And I'm not referring just to Apple. I really think some type of wearable phone will be the way to go, it's just a matter of first quality device to market. (but please, no glasses, too creepy)

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Like Apple was the first with a 64-bit phone, which in every other case as well, they are not the first....

Now the rumors are Apple will release a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen 5" iPhone in 2014. Guys, why even bother anymore. Apple has all the apps, the best hardware, best commercials, best corporate image, best everything.
A little bit is dripping off your chin.....on the left side there.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The majority of us here are arse clowns (myself included). When it comes from someone legit, you have to give them credit.....http://blog.hubspot.com/uattr/qualcomm-apple-64-bit-chip-hit-us-in-gut

I guess the 64-bit processor has been blown out of proportions without understanding that it wont be usable till the phone demands atleast ~4 GB RAM for usage as well as apps are re-coded to take advantage of it. Wow...this is becoming more of the Android spec war thing

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Do you think a bezel-less screen is a good idea? Where will you put your fingers, especially if you have some overhanging finger fat?

Yes, its a great idea for phones to be thinner, lighter, with less bezel.

The waterproof case can be even thicker and offer more protection.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To put this into perspective, the Caddy CTS-V has 556 HP and runs the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds. It shattered the track record at Nurburgring for a production car on street tires.

The speed limit in the US is 70 MPH in most states. I had a Chinese 150cc scooter that could do that.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
To put this into perspective, the Caddy CTS-V has 556 HP and runs the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds. It shattered the track record at Nurburgring for a production car on street tires.

The speed limit in the US is 70 MPH in most states. I had a Chinese 150cc scooter that could do that.

I was on a train recently that could do a 1/4 mile in less than five seconds, and a plane that could do it in a second and a half. Cars are pathetic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss