Samsung's New UI is definitely Windows Like

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I find it curious how one of the tiles, for a song shared with you, has a play button. Would you be able to just play the song directly from the tile without opening the app? Would be handy.

Considering that widgets have been able to do that on Android for over 3 years now, I suppose you would be able to do it here.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The entire industry has been moving towards tiles, less chrome, and outright minimalism for more than a year and in this case the resemblance is (at best) superficial. Don't people have better things to do with their time than obsess about such trivial stuff. BTW, in as much as there is any resemblance at all (which is really not much) how do you know that Samsung has not licensed things from Microsoft? Samsung and Microsoft have a relationship that is much longer than that with either Google or Apple. At its core though, why does anyone really care about this stuff unless you are a patent attorney or the holder of a relevant patent or copyright?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The entire industry has been moving towards tiles, less chrome, and outright minimalism for more than a year and in this case the resemblance is (at best) superficial. Don't people have better things to do with their time than obsess about such trivial stuff. BTW, in as much as there is any resemblance at all (which is really not much) how do you know that Samsung has not licensed things from Microsoft? Samsung and Microsoft have a relationship that is much longer than that with either Google or Apple. At its core though, why does anyone really care about this stuff unless you are a patent attorney or the holder of a relevant patent or copyright?

I've been poking around these forums for awhile, and I've come up with a few archetypes for different posters on these forums.

You are the antagonist. Nearly every single post is you playing devils advocate. I'm not saying it's an entirely bad thing... Just an observation I've noted from your past posts.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been poking around these forums for awhile, and I've come up with a few archetypes for different posters on these forums.

You are the antagonist. Nearly every single post is you playing devils advocate. I'm not saying it's an entirely bad thing... Just an observation I've noted from your past posts.

I wouldn't call devil's advocate an antagonist. That would be a ****** or a troll. There are many other members here who argue for the sake of arguing. His post did present some good points and in the end, that's what forums are all about. Being the hot-head Cuban that I am, I might be bashing him later. If he says something stupid of course.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call devil's advocate an antagonist. That would be a ****** or a troll. There are many other members here who argue for the sake of arguing. His post did present some good points and in the end, that's what forums are all about. Being the hot-head Cuban that I am, I might be bashing him later. If he says something stupid of course.

Scroll through his posts and you'll see what I mean. He does generally back up what he's saying. But he's never putting himself in the position of protagonist.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Why are we discussing this in such detail? Because finally WP is catching on. First Android copied the flat UI of the WP, then iOS and now even the leading Android skin maker has jumped on that bandwagon. We should all be happy that WP is catching on. The latest gripe from the tech journalists now is that major games are not available on WP. For the first 12 months they whined about the lack of apps and now games....I guess they are always going to compare WP to iOS and Android which is fair but also give points where WP is ahead of the other two rival OS'.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the new UI on Samsung's phones, but the "Magazine UX" they're coming out with for the "Pro" versions of the Tab and Note tablets looks like a pretty blatant ripoff of Live Tiles.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Samdung... Oh, the industrial copycat on a,massive scale

All manufacturers copy each other and you would be naive to think otherwise.

Samdung, how original. What are you, 12. We all get it, you hate Samsung but at least try to act your age for once!!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for the new UI on Samsung's phones, but the "Magazine UX" they're coming out with for the "Pro" versions of the Tab and Note tablets looks like a pretty blatant ripoff of Live Tiles.

Are there rectangles with info on them? Yes. Does it look anything like WP or W8? Not even close.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Are there rectangles with info on them? Yes. Does it look anything like WP or W8? Not even close.

Yes, it's a very loose resemblance for sure, but it's enough that lots of news outlets have reported the similarity-- at this point, it seems that any innovation it might have might end up being eclipsed in the public eye by people's perception of it as a "knockoff".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it, designers are running out of ideas. The break-neck speed at which mobile technology has moved makes any "new" design language inevitably resemble something else from the past. It seems as though the buying public wasn't as fickle with desktop systems as they are with mobile. XP has been around since'01 and it's still being used quite a bit. Yet this board is full of negative comments if a major update doesn't arrive within 6 months of initial release on their phones. If you buy a phone with the thought of future updates, you're in for a major disappointment unless you shell out full price for a sim-free model. Carriers are in the business of selling phones, not giving out updates to make a year-old purchase seem fresh. Those who bought Lumia 900s 2 months before WP8 was released only to find out they wouldn't go beyond 7.8 were especially vocal.

Now I ask, does it really matter if another OS uses a similar UI as what you have? A rectangular box, icon or whatever you wish to call it with the image of an envelope is more than likely an email client whether it's WP, iOS, Android, BlackBerry and just about every OS that's ever graced the Earth. Move on, it's not worth getting in a twist over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos