The headline:
    Its official: Apple sells more computers than all Windows PCs combined

The link:
    It’s official: Apple sells more computers than all Windows PCs combined Quartz

All I could do was laugh. They took ALL of Apple's device sales, iPad, iPhone, Macs, etc and compared those numbers to the number of Windows PC sales which didn't include Windows Phone or tablets. Their reasoning for this comparing apples, pardon the pun, to oranges is that people are moving to devices that they can actually get stuff done with so it is logical to include Apple's mobile devices while excluding Windows mobile devices implying that nothing can get done on those.

The funniest part is the graph. Granted, comparing PC sales to all of Apple device sales, Apple did sell more. But throw just Windows Phone in, the grey line, then Windows devices still outsold all of Apple's devices.

SPIN Apple Fanboy, SPIN!!
    Jaskys, BIGPADDY and xandros9 like this.
    02-13-2014 06:01 AM
    I guess he needs to get back to school....to make a fair comparison
    02-13-2014 06:49 AM
    Dumb article. There are naturally more phones in the wild than PC's, so even just comparing phones to PCs would favor iphones. Add tablets and that number gets bigger. The same comparison could be made with android.

For example: In my house there is 4 phones, 4 tablets, and only 3 PC's.
    02-13-2014 06:56 AM
    It can't be denied that windows pc sales numbers fell badly in 2013 and mobile sales (of which Windows are a distant, distant third place) are rising rapidly. It's official enough for me, but it has no bearing on my choices or uses.
    02-13-2014 12:33 PM
    It can't be denied that windows pc sales numbers fell badly in 2013 and mobile sales (of which Windows are a distant, distant third place) are rising rapidly. It's official enough for me, but it has no bearing on my choices or uses.
    Yes, PC sales are dropping while the mobile market is expanding. But why is that? Could it be that the PC market has reached saturation in that most who want/need a pc already have one and most of the new sales are to people upgrading their 5-7 year old computer, while the mobile market is fairly new and increasing in popularity? That the increase in sales is driven by first time buyers?

Also consider that while Windows may be a distant third in the mobile marketplace, Apple's mobile sales for Q4 2013 fell while the mobile Windows sales greatly increased. And that the Windows mobile ecosystem is fairly new while Apples has been around for years.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-13-2014 01:19 PM
    Wow, the guy that came up with that chart is a bit touchy. I commented about his chart and pointed out errors and he blocked me from commenting.

Apple passes Microsoft — Benedict Evans
    02-13-2014 02:30 PM
    This is so moronic. It's like saying "Ford sells more cars, trucks, suvs, and vans than Chevy does cars." Well no s***!
    dkediger likes this.
    02-13-2014 02:41 PM
    His point is that the mobile devices sold by Apple (even though he includes Macs) have surpassed the sales of the devices carrying Windows. This shows a shift towards mobile devices which means that more people prefer to buy a mobile device than a Windows PC. Still I cannot see how one can live without a laptop or a PC and carry only his mobile device and in this case an Apple mobile device (Ipad, Iphone) which means you will be "limited" to the apps that are offered for those platforms. I haven't bought a tablet yet because I do not find any need for it now. I have my mobile phone for when I need something on the go and I cannot access my laptop but for everything else I need my laptop to work on it. His chart is wrong in the sense that he put Macs in there. He shouldn't if his purpose was to compare mobile devices vs PCs which is his main point. Of course Apple vs Microsoft is much more attractive...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-13-2014 03:21 PM
    I would hate to think of life without a PC, I use it just as much now as I have ever done, Maybe I am old fashioned but gaming on a PC still has a big place in my heart as well as everything else I use it for ;-)
    etad putta likes this.
    02-13-2014 03:29 PM
    I would hate to think of life without a PC, I use it just as much now as I have ever done, Maybe I am old fashioned but gaming on a PC still has a big place in my heart as well as everything else I use it for ;-)
    Exactly! There are things that for now are impossible to do on tablets or phones! Of course most people are casual users and will be fine with a tablet but still they will probably at some time hit that "limitation" of the mobile devices and they will have to use a PC.
    02-13-2014 03:34 PM
    I honestly wish I could get in on this clickbait money
    02-13-2014 04:38 PM
    02-13-2014 04:55 PM