03-22-2014 08:17 AM
60 123
tools
    If I know Apple they'll never make a *really* good iPhone It'll always be just a bit better than it's predecessor
    That may or may not be true, but it seems rather limiting to rule out, for all time, buying a specific brand of phone. Unless you have some objection on principle to that company, of course, but that seems unlikely in this case, as Apple and Microsoft are both similar large American corporations, and any objection to one would probably apply to the other as well.
    03-19-2014 05:10 PM
    Hmmm ...
    Looks to me like the Windows Phone might be kicking small holes in the two towers of the mobile establishment.
    This thread is the third one that has (I believe) popped up here lately asking for absolvence from the Windows Phone community.

I agree with what BobLoblaw has posted.
    Apps may perhaps simulate Oxycontin ... once a user gets started it is difficult to stop.
    You've been noticing that too.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-19-2014 06:57 PM
    That may or may not be true, but it seems rather limiting to rule out, for all time, buying a specific brand of phone. Unless you have some objection on principle to that company, of course, but that seems unlikely in this case, as Apple and Microsoft are both similar large American corporations, and any objection to one would probably apply to the other as well.
    To me it's more about the attitude that I feel when using both companies' devices.

On MS's side, it just feels like someone saying, "hey, here's something with 100 features, each feature might not do what you want it to do, but you can always get something identical or close to it by trying combination of feature 1, 4 and 6".
    On Apple's side, it feels like "Hi! Here's 20 features most needed by users, simple and straightforward. Oh they are not doing exactly what you want? Oh you want other features? Nope can't do, and don't go around trying stuff. Why? Because we know best and you should just listen."

Another analogy is that using iphone is like being a kid, everything's laid out for you by your parents, very safe, but also limiting somehow.
    Using WP8 feels like being a young adult, it's not as worry-free, but there isn't someone controlling all your moves. (though this applies to Android too).
    Guytronic and James8561 like this.
    03-19-2014 07:13 PM
    To me it's more about the attitude that I feel when using both companies' devices.

On MS's side, it just feels like someone saying, "hey, here's something with 100 features, each feature might not do what you want it to do, but you can always get something identical or close to it by trying combination of feature 1, 4 and 6".
    On Apple's side, it feels like "Hi! Here's 20 features most needed by users, simple and straightforward. Oh they are not doing exactly what you want? Oh you want other features? Nope can't do, and don't go around trying stuff. Why? Because we know best and you should just listen."

Another analogy is that using iphone is like being a kid, everything's laid out for you by your parents, very safe, but also limiting somehow.
    Using WP8 feels like being a young adult, it's not as worry-free, but there isn't someone controlling all your moves. (though this applies to Android too).
    Pretty much dude! Excellent analogies!
    03-19-2014 09:52 PM

Snipped
    That's all fine, but I was responding to someone who said they would *never* use an Apple device. That seemed really bizarre to me - you and I would obviously not rule out a phone from any company in the future, as the situation might change.
    What's your opinion about that?
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    03-20-2014 03:04 AM
    That's all fine, but I was responding to someone who said they would *never* use an Apple device. That seemed really bizarre to me - you and I would obviously not rule out a phone from any company in the future, as the situation might change.
    This issue is like politics. Some folks just put on their respective jerseys and dig in. The way I see is, it's a free country and you should get what you want and works for ya. Do I think Apple and Android are good platforms? Of course they are!
    03-20-2014 10:06 AM
    Ah I see. Well, I feel it's safer to "never say 'never'", just in case something happens unexpectedly.

But I'm sure the way it was used here it's more a figure of speech than anything. Kinda like for sports teams you know? it's more about the sentiment. We would all probably say "oh i'll always root for Team A but NEVER Team B(the rival team)', but perhaps one day all your favorite players goes to Team B and Team A starts to shoot babies. lol.
    Garrett Jimenez likes this.
    03-20-2014 03:44 PM
    Even as a Lumia 920 owner, i have to admit that I'm really excited to see if Apple will release a new iPhone with a display that's at least 4.5" or something wider. But I care way more about how wp8.1 is gonna improve the experience on my Lumia 920

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    03-21-2014 12:18 AM
    I saw an interesting interview snippet with Mark Cuban today where he reveals that he has only 13 apps on his two smartphones. I have always felt that apps are way overrated as a means for judging an ecosystem.
    They are, unless the one you really need isn't on the platform you want to use!
    tgp likes this.
    03-22-2014 03:01 AM
    They are, unless the one you really need isn't on the platform you want to use!
    Exactly
    03-22-2014 08:17 AM
60 123