IPhone 6 or stick with WP

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a hard time trying to make up my mind. I went from having the 3gs to the 4s to a Lumia 920. I got tired of the small screen and wanted a better camera. I used quite a bit of different apps just because they were available. The switch from apple to windows was easy enough so no issues there. Some basic issues soon arrived that I was used to having from my iPhone (separate volume controls for ringer and music, gapless playback, apps.) While it seems as 8.1 will fix the volume controls, I haven't heard anything about gapless. I'm a huge music buff and I hate the gaps in songs that transition into each other. And the big surprise here, the apps issue. I didn't mind not having 80 apps (exaggeration) on my windows phone. I didn't need them all. There are the basic apps (Facebook, Twitter, instagram, etc...) and not so basics like the dead yourself app from AMC or RaceJoy (GPS tracking for a lot of race events, my family are a bunch of runners) that I would love to have but no support for the windows. ALL apps have iPhone support and eventually make it to the WP store or maybe never. Its just a hard thing for me to deal with, having all the apps on Apple then switching to bare minimum on WP. I got used to it, but my patience is running thin with WP not being able to deliver on my wants app. Yes I know its not WP fault its the dev bur it still sucks that WP is the red headed step child of the smartphones. And now since the rumors gave been flying about the iPhone 6 having a 4.5 and 5.5 screen, my question I've been asking myself lately is will I be jumping back into the IOS world? The answer is I AM most likely. I know camera quality will not be as good as my trusty 920 but my god the gapless and apps. Also forgot to mention the horrible windows phone sync app for Mac. Blegh! I know that Build is around the corner and I really am anxious to see what's coming but unless they announce that Microsoft is making it easier (1 click conversion programs) for devs to port apps to WP, I still will be jumping. I will miss my camera and especially my Qi charging. But as for now, the world is running on IOS and Droid. Until WP severely steps up their game with the OS and store, I don't think it will ever make it to the limelight and overtake the other two companies. Yes , I know, "hows WP supposed to grow when people like you jump ship and don't give it a chance?" I have given it a chance and while not a bad experience, it really comes down to app availability. Its takes months and months to get a simple app after its been out for ios/droid FIRST. Microsoft NEEDS to get stuff rolling on the WP store and entice devs to port. Give em a pizza party or surface tablets, ANYTHING to further the app issue. So that's where I stand , for now, unless miracles happen for WP

Also, my MAJOR app that I indeed miss very very dearly is the NHL Game Center Live App, I love hockey, but hockey no love my Windows Phone.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
WP8.1 will improve things and the platform will see some growth, but it won't be an over night runaway train. Sounds like the app gap is a big deal to you, so you may not want to wait. All personal decisions dude.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, let's run this down a bit:
WP8.1 will,most likely arrive by May/June. (April 2 is the unveiling.)

The iPhone 6, assuming a regular release cycle, will debut with iOS 8 by mid-September.

That gives WP8.1 time for an update, maybe two, before the iPhone 6 comes out.

I recommend taking a wait-and-see stance. 2014 might be the year that Windows Phone takes off, but no one really knows.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone 6, assuming a regular release cycle, will debut with iOS 8 by mid-September.

I recommend taking a wait-and-see stance. 2014 might be the year that Windows Phone takes off, but no one really knows.

Good advice here. You can't go wrong either way, but since iPhone 6 likely won't be available until late summer/autumn, you will likely be able to try out WP8.1 before then, at least the developer preview. If WP8.1 doesn't cut if for you, go for the iPhone 6.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I know, just a hard personal decision. Camera quality for my hunger for apps. #firstworldproblems

Yeap, so hard and so personal. Everyone is different. I for one am heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. Besides my phone, I have both a tablet and Windows 8 PC. To satisfy my need of those apps that haven't arrived, I hang on to my Nexus 7.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
WP8.1 isn't going to do anything major for apps. It doesn't have a magic sauce that will suddenly entice someone like Yahoo to start making apps for the platform. So if you're really into apps, I would steer clear of Windows Phone.

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Not a bad idea. Will do that then. I also have a surface 2 and love the crap out of that as its mostly a web surfing tablet and book reader. Not much need for apps on that. But I will definitely give 8.1 a try and hope for the best

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I can't really advise yet since we don't know 100% whats up Apple's sleeve.

I agree , I'm just going on what the current rumors are and where my thoughts are going. Also, with what Nokia has done to boost the WP out to the masses a la 1020, you'd think Microsoft would be shoving out ads upon ads to get peoples to switch to WP. ya know? Just relentless, take no prisoner ads. I mean, one of the main reasons devs aren't porting to WP is because of low market share and how it would be costly to do so without having a chance to make the money back. Microsoft isnt doing much to help.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree , I'm just going on what the current rumors are and where my thoughts are going. Also, with what Nokia has done to boost the WP out to the masses a la 1020, you'd think Microsoft would be shoving out ads upon ads to get peoples to switch to WP. ya know? Just relentless, take no prisoner ads. I mean, one of the main reasons devs aren't porting to WP is because of low market share and how it would be costly to do so without having a chance to make the money back. Microsoft isnt doing much to help.
It's obvious that no one from Microsoft reads these forums, because that's a major complaint here. The fact that their marketing leaves lots to be desired. That was a nice commercial during the Superbowl, but why didn't they do one to promote the Icon too?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If you want all the apps, go for the iPhone. Simple as that. I'm sure 8.1 will please you, but if it doesn't, I'm sure the next iPhone will be good and please you too.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I saw an interesting interview snippet with Mark Cuban today where he reveals that he has only 13 apps on his two smartphones. I have always felt that apps are way overrated as a means for judging an ecosystem.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I saw an interesting interview snippet with Mark Cuban today where he reveals that he has only 13 apps on his two smartphones. I have always felt that apps are way overrated as a means for judging an ecosystem.

Hmmm ...
Looks to me like the Windows Phone might be kicking small holes in the two towers of the mobile establishment.
This thread is the third one that has (I believe) popped up here lately asking for absolvence from the Windows Phone community.

I agree with what BobLoblaw has posted.
Apps may perhaps simulate Oxycontin ... once a user gets started it is difficult to stop.

Last edited:

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
iOS is a solid platform. If you're unhappy with your phone you should definitely go to iphone 6. I hear from the rumors it's supposed to be pretty nice

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If you are invested in Microsoft ecosystem, iPhone 6 will feel odd. I have Xbox 360, Xbox One, Windows 8 laptop, Surface RT, Windows 8 PC at work. Now I would be foolish to invest in iPhone, so I have a Lumia 925.

I have only 4. I am more than satisfied with everything else the phone can do natively.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)