IPhone 6 or stick with WP

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that bothers me are the notifications, or lack there of. I sometimes takes an hour before receiving a notification from Instagram or ESPN. when my mice and I are lounging on the couch, I open up instragram and click "like" on one of my wife pictures. Not even a blink later she says "you like that one too?" meanwhile, she will like a picture of mine and minutes go by before seeing something pop up. I know with the addition of the notification center in 8.1 will deffinately help with missed notifications. yet again, begin years behind the competition. I really am trying to love EVERYTHING about WP but some stuff doesn't make sense as to why its so difficult to take simple and what seems to be standard tasks these days forever to reach the WP

are you using 6tag? if not try that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not much that you can do about the app problem. I came from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, so over all the app thing has not been too bad but, in the last few months it's been bothing me. So apps that I really need and would use, do not exist for Windows Phone and from the companies "No plans". These all have apps on iOS AND Android. Games are the same way, Yea we might get them but, 6-12 months after they have been out for other platforms. Never mind the lack of Xbox live is a dispointment.

If you can live with the App issues (as long as you can find everything you need), I like Windows Phone better than the others but, as always, there is advantages to both.

WP 8.1 will add some WELL NEEDED features but, unless the phone sales jump crazy fast, we wont get the apps. One of those catch 22 things...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
what advantage do you have having a full microsoft ecosystem?
doesnt the iphone work exactly the same with a surface or any windows 8 computer, as well as any wp8 phone? maybe even better?

No it doesn't work the same. But then I don't know, never used iPhone, never will.

WP8.1 and Windows 8.1 will share 70% of their cores. Next year they will share 100% of cores and functionalities. iPhone never will.

What other benefit do I get? My Xbox scores stay in sync, no matter where I play my games - phone, tablet, laptop or PC. My Office docs are always on my Skydrive wherever I am. I often leave work early with half written document and the remaining I finish on my way back home on the train. I do final touch ups when I am on my bed with my Surface. iPhone probably doesn't do these stuff with Microsoft ecosystem. My Xbox Music travels everywhere with me. I pay only one subscription price and I have my exact same library and playlist of chosen songs on all my devices. I don't think iPhone has Xbox music - I may be wrong.

With the features coming in Windows Phone 8.1, things like WiFi passwords, hotspots, IE11 favourites - all will sync and stay in sync across devices.

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't work the same. But then I don't know, never used iPhone, never will.

WP8.1 and Windows 8.1 will share 70% of their cores. Next year they will share 100% of cores and functionalities. iPhone never will.

What other benefit do I get? My Xbox scores stay in sync, no matter where I play my games - phone, tablet, laptop or PC. My Office docs are always on my Skydrive wherever I am. I often leave work early with half written document and the remaining I finish on my way back home on the train. I do final touch ups when I am on my bed with my Surface. iPhone probably doesn't do these stuff with Microsoft ecosystem. My Xbox Music travels everywhere with me. I pay only one subscription price and I have my exact same library and playlist of chosen songs on all my devices. I don't think iPhone has Xbox music - I may be wrong.

With the features coming in Windows Phone 8.1, things like WiFi passwords, hotspots, IE11 favourites - all will sync and stay in sync across devices.

It is most deffinately a catch 22 haha....
Oops wrong qoute,I'm doing this from the WPcentral ap and its lagging like crazy 0_o

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe not, too each his own, I'm not one of those "use this brand or else your lame" fanboys...use what you like , do what you like, just don't shove your opinions down my throat...cuz what goes in, comes out and I would **** on your face <3

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
If I know Apple they'll never make a *really* good iPhone It'll always be just a bit better than it's predecessor

That may or may not be true, but it seems rather limiting to rule out, for all time, buying a specific brand of phone. Unless you have some objection on principle to that company, of course, but that seems unlikely in this case, as Apple and Microsoft are both similar large American corporations, and any objection to one would probably apply to the other as well.

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm ...
Looks to me like the Windows Phone might be kicking small holes in the two towers of the mobile establishment.
This thread is the third one that has (I believe) popped up here lately asking for absolvence from the Windows Phone community.

I agree with what BobLoblaw has posted.
Apps may perhaps simulate Oxycontin ... once a user gets started it is difficult to stop.

You've been noticing that too.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That may or may not be true, but it seems rather limiting to rule out, for all time, buying a specific brand of phone. Unless you have some objection on principle to that company, of course, but that seems unlikely in this case, as Apple and Microsoft are both similar large American corporations, and any objection to one would probably apply to the other as well.

To me it's more about the attitude that I feel when using both companies' devices.

On MS's side, it just feels like someone saying, "hey, here's something with 100 features, each feature might not do what you want it to do, but you can always get something identical or close to it by trying combination of feature 1, 4 and 6".
On Apple's side, it feels like "Hi! Here's 20 features most needed by users, simple and straightforward. Oh they are not doing exactly what you want? Oh you want other features? Nope can't do, and don't go around trying stuff. Why? Because we know best and you should just listen."

Another analogy is that using iphone is like being a kid, everything's laid out for you by your parents, very safe, but also limiting somehow.
Using WP8 feels like being a young adult, it's not as worry-free, but there isn't someone controlling all your moves. (though this applies to Android too).

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
To me it's more about the attitude that I feel when using both companies' devices.

On MS's side, it just feels like someone saying, "hey, here's something with 100 features, each feature might not do what you want it to do, but you can always get something identical or close to it by trying combination of feature 1, 4 and 6".
On Apple's side, it feels like "Hi! Here's 20 features most needed by users, simple and straightforward. Oh they are not doing exactly what you want? Oh you want other features? Nope can't do, and don't go around trying stuff. Why? Because we know best and you should just listen."

Another analogy is that using iphone is like being a kid, everything's laid out for you by your parents, very safe, but also limiting somehow.
Using WP8 feels like being a young adult, it's not as worry-free, but there isn't someone controlling all your moves. (though this applies to Android too).

Pretty much dude! Excellent analogies!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Snipped

That's all fine, but I was responding to someone who said they would *never* use an Apple device. That seemed really bizarre to me - you and I would obviously not rule out a phone from any company in the future, as the situation might change.
What's your opinion about that?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That's all fine, but I was responding to someone who said they would *never* use an Apple device. That seemed really bizarre to me - you and I would obviously not rule out a phone from any company in the future, as the situation might change.
This issue is like politics. Some folks just put on their respective jerseys and dig in. The way I see is, it's a free country and you should get what you want and works for ya. Do I think Apple and Android are good platforms? Of course they are!

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Ah I see. Well, I feel it's safer to "never say 'never'", just in case something happens unexpectedly.

But I'm sure the way it was used here it's more a figure of speech than anything. Kinda like for sports teams you know? it's more about the sentiment. We would all probably say "oh i'll always root for Team A but NEVER Team B(the rival team)', but perhaps one day all your favorite players goes to Team B and Team A starts to shoot babies. lol.

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Even as a Lumia 920 owner, i have to admit that I'm really excited to see if Apple will release a new iPhone with a display that's at least 4.5" or something wider. But I care way more about how wp8.1 is gonna improve the experience on my Lumia 920

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Mira Fox

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I saw an interesting interview snippet with Mark Cuban today where he reveals that he has only 13 apps on his two smartphones. I have always felt that apps are way overrated as a means for judging an ecosystem.

They are, unless the one you really need isn't on the platform you want to use!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb