why I am considering Android

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That makes sense.

I really do not feel that the issue needs to be polarizing. I'll give an example.

I belong to a couple local Linux User Groups. If one only believed what was online, one would think all Linux users hate Windows and all Windows users hate Linux. However, I do not experience any of this so-called "Windows hatred" by members of the Linux Groups.

One would also think that all Linux users would use Androids, since the Ubuntu smartphone is not available yet. However, I've spotted iPhones, Windows Phones and even BlackBerry at the Linux Group meetings. Not everyone has an Android. The members of the Linux Groups do not really care which smartphone platforms other people use. It's a non-factor.

You're right, it should not be polarizing. But since the dawn of time, advertisers have made us believe it's them versus us. Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, etc. It just burns a hole in my rear to see people get so worked up over a PHONE when there's so much else to be fixed. If we focused our energy toward real problems.....let me get off the soapbox before I say something stupid.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You're right, it should not be polarizing. But since the dawn of time, advertisers have made us believe it's them versus us. Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, etc. It just burns a hole in my rear to see people get so worked up over a PHONE when there's so much else to be fixed. If we focused our energy toward real problems.....let me get off the soapbox before I say something stupid.
You're right that many arguments about phones resemble arguments about beverages, cars, even sports.
http://youtu.be/J6SBtg9VQ9M

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
firstly, if you're comparing a 18k price phone with a 55k iPhone or even a 30k S3, then that's wrong. Look, you cant even play those 'latest and greatests' on the lower end android without lag, while my 520 plays asphalt 8 (though with a little downtuned graphics) better than even Samsung grand. Heating does happen, but its noticeable because wp gives out heat more... I dont think android phones have a processor fan :)-P) so they'd generate the same amount of heat too. Its just that you dont notice the heat in them.

Hey I agree what I meant is not all new announced game comes for wp 8 flagship devices.what's point if spending 40k if u don't get what other people have.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey I agree what I meant is not all new announced game comes for wp 8 flagship devices.what's point if spending 40k if u don't get what other people have.

and you're getting lots of things (eg: a working operating system :p) which others aren't getting :p
Believe me, if you fall in love with wp, like I have, you wont notice the lack of some stupid things :) you can keep a android tab for them though if you want (i dont have one :p(

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The newly announced HTC M8 didn't trigger me. I see Nokia will reveal something new april 2. exciting too see that and the official release of wp 8.1...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hmm understand but you can't play the latest nd greatest when all your friends are playing in android or iPhone.also I have lumia 820 which just heats as a HELL when u play HD games.

heating is normal and my other phone is a 820 as well and it doesnt heat as much as my friends droids such as S4 , S3 and HTC One

The newly announced HTC M8 didn't trigger me. I see Nokia will reveal something new april 2. exciting too see that and the official release of wp 8.1...

yeah itll be a major release so its bound to be epic!! :D

@mods sorry for double post

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
101% right ! :) android is a fad (along with the reason that you can show off stupid launchers, and that you can download games for free off the net), and iPhone is a fad among the richer class, and "he paid 55k for it so he must be rich" reason is true too...

ios isnt entirely a fad as such they are overpriced and are relatively better vfm than android
an example- my tech savvy grandad has an ipad 3 , lumia 720 and a nexus 7 2012 but prefers his ipad and lumia to his nexus 7 overall
the only reason he uses the nexus is for facebook and whatsapp other than that he only got a droid because he got it for cheap roughly $120 and he likes gadgets
he loves the retina display of the ipad and the camera of his 720 and the pair is just perfect

the only thing about ios is the ipad and the ipod touch the iphones are definately a fad :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
ios isnt entirely a fad as such they are overpriced and are relatively better vfm than android
an example- my tech savvy grandad has an ipad 3 , lumia 720 and a nexus 7 2012 but prefers his ipad and lumia to his nexus 7 overall
the only reason he uses the nexus is for facebook and whatsapp other than that he only got a droid because he got it for cheap roughly $120 and he likes gadgets
he loves the retina display of the ipad and the camera of his 720 and the pair is just perfect

the only thing about ios is the ipad and the ipod touch the iphones are definately a fad :)

i was shocked when i saw the specs of the 55k INR iPhone 5s. Not even hd ? 1gb ram ? No nfc ? I must say its just a waste of money to buy iPhones, they are smooth no doubt, but well, i dont see any reason to switch to iPhone when i can get a similar experience on WP, which is better with my WP8 laptop... If you're on a msft ecosystem, i should think wp is better..

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i was shocked when i saw the specs of the 55k INR iPhone 5s. Not even hd ? 1gb ram ? No nfc ? I must say its just a waste of money to buy iPhones, they are smooth no doubt, but well, i dont see any reason to switch to iPhone when i can get a similar experience on WP, which is better with my WP8 laptop... If you're on a msft ecosystem, i should think wp is better..
ikr my duo is the best - lumia 720 + ipad 2 (32gb 3G) and i paid around 65k for them but they are much more vfm than my friends buying nexus 7 + iphone 5s/5c/4
u get the best of both worlds here and i dont really miss any apps on my 720 but i prefer my ipads big screen sometimes for web browsing
ios isnt bad but iphone 5s certainly is a big fad even the ipad lineup with similiar hardware (infact a bit higher with a better screen,cpu and worse camera costs 18k onwards while the iphone lineup is gonna cost u 55k and is literally a downgrade except for the fad factor which we can live without :)

btw saksham the 5s has a retina display so its higher than HD(unless u meant the camera or something-720p)
even with windows phone it still hooks up well to all my non mfst hardware unlike iphones propriatory ports,airdrop , airplay etc which despite being renamed DLNA isnt compatible with any of my existing hadware and needs me to shell out 10k each time for docks,cables,connectors etc
my 720 hooks up superbly to my WD tv live hd media player and nokia play to is much better than the WD ios app and remote app
btw guys WD now fully supports wp8's play to

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
ikr my duo is the best - lumia 720 + ipad 2 (32gb 3G) and i paid around 65k for them but they are much more vfm than my friends buying nexus 7 + iphone 5s/5c/4
u get the best of both worlds here and i dont really miss any apps on my 720 but i prefer my ipads big screen sometimes for web browsing
ios isnt bad but iphone 5s certainly is a big fad even the ipad lineup with similiar hardware (infact a bit higher with a better screen,cpu and worse camera costs 18k onwards while the iphone lineup is gonna cost u 55k and is literally a downgrade except for the fad factor which we can live without :)

btw saksham the 5s has a retina display so its higher than HD(unless u meant the camera or something-720p)
even with windows phone it still hooks up well to all my non mfst hardware unlike iphones propriatory ports,airdrop , airplay etc which despite being renamed DLNA isnt compatible with any of my existing hadware and needs me to shell out 10k each time for docks,cables,connectors etc
my 720 hooks up superbly to my WD tv live hd media player and nokia play to is much better than the WD ios app and remote app
btw guys WD now fully supports wp8's play to

yeah that's a great duo ! :)
And i was talking about the the resolution of the screen. Well actually retina display hasn't got a very stunning resolution, but the small screen size gives it a huge ppi. that's what makes retina display unique. But still i feel like we deserve a higher resolution for paying such a sky high price.
Oh btw one thing is good in the 5s, that's the 120fps video recording, it got me stunned :p (off topic)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
yeah that's a great duo ! :)
And i was talking about the the resolution of the screen. Well actually retina display hasn't got a very stunning resolution, but the small screen size gives it a huge ppi. that's what makes retina display unique. But still i feel like we deserve a higher resolution for paying such a sky high price.
Oh btw one thing is good in the 5s, that's the 120fps video recording, it got me stunned :p (off topic)

actually the retina display is a renamed amoled display which apple "invented"(lol)
the retina display is amazing on the ipad actually
the retina display doesnt make sense on a 4.5 inch screen imo
the 820s amoled display is the best display ive seen so far!! it looks absolutely stunning (my mom has an 820+ an ipad 4) it looks better than the ipads display imo

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
actually the retina display is a renamed amoled display which apple "invented"(lol)
the retina display is amazing on the ipad actually
the retina display doesnt make sense on a 4.5 inch screen imo
the 820s amoled display is the best display ive seen so far!! it looks absolutely stunning (my mom has an 820+ an ipad 4) it looks better than the ipads display imo

that's why retina isn't a pull factor these days ;)
And lol, there are people out there waiting for apple to "invent" nfc and also to "invent" touch screens for laptops (macbook) :p so funny :p

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
that's why retina isn't a pull factor these days ;)
And lol, there are people out there waiting for apple to "invent" nfc and also to "invent" touch screens for laptops (macbook) :p so funny :p

ikr even a macbook air which costs 70k here is overpriced , u can get the exact config in an ultrabook with a better gpu and upgradability

johnepedersen

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here is an update on my choice. Sticking with the HTC 8x for now. The one with the broken capasitive buttons. This morning I realised I could create a Lens-app that navigates me to the startscreen. With that, I suddenly have a working WP again. :grin: For those who did not get that: my camera-button works, and will take me directly to the camera app. From here I can choose a Lens-app that I created that just navigates me back to the start screen.
Since I almost never used the dedicated search-button, this <almost> improves usability of my phone. A bit tedious to go to the start screen, and no back-button, but still, it works.
Now I can start waiting for WP8.1 with you guys.. :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here is an update on my choice. Sticking with the HTC 8x for now. The one with the broken capasitive buttons. This morning I realised I could create a Lens-app that navigates me to the startscreen. With that, I suddenly have a working WP again. :grin: For those who did not get that: my camera-button works, and will take me directly to the camera app. From here I can choose a Lens-app that I created that just navigates me back to the start screen.
Since I almost never used the dedicated search-button, this <almost> improves usability of my phone. A bit tedious to go to the start screen, and no back-button, but still, it works.
Now I can start waiting for WP8.1 with you guys.. :)
lol thats tough i remember when my back button on my BB 9790 broke and i was solely relying on the touch screen for everything
good luck and lets hope 8.1 is as awesome as we want it to be!! who knows maybe itll bring an optional on screen button thingy(like the leaked 630 ones)

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
No phone is perfect. Its what pros and cons that you can live with and without and for how long are you willing to wait. Personally I prefer not to have to carry a power brick around, have to worry about malware or programs recording whatever I do, scanning through my emails, uploading god knows what to where, and be constantly bombarded with ads. Some people want a smartphone while others may want a full PC in their pocket. My analogy may be whacked but to me WP is slow and steady while Android is fast and furious. The WP path may not as fun and you make get bored and frustated at how long its taking, but you can see a clear path in front of you and it will get you there safe and sound in time. With Android you can drive as fast as you want and willing to accept some consequences of hitting some brick walls down the road. The important is to be happy and content with the choice that you make and unless you are completely locked into an ecosystem, you can always switch paths if you feel that you're not heading the right way. All I ask is don't become another sad miserable troll that bully others to make yourself feel better because they chose a different path when you're not internally happy with the choice that you had made.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No phone is perfect. Its what pros and cons that you can live with and without and for how long are you willing to wait. Personally I prefer not to have to carry a power brick around, have to worry about malware or programs recording whatever I do, scanning through my emails, uploading god knows what to where, and be constantly bombarded with ads. Some people want a smartphone while others may want a full PC in their pocket. My analogy may be whacked but to me WP is slow and steady while Android is fast and furious. The WP path may not as fun and you make get bored and frustated at how long its taking, but you can see a clear path in front of you and it will get you there safe and sound in time. With Android you can drive as fast as you want and willing to accept some consequences of hitting some brick walls down the road. The important is to be happy and content with the choice that you make and unless you are completely locked into an ecosystem, you can always switch paths if you feel that you're not heading the right way. All I ask is don't become another sad miserable troll that bully others to make yourself feel better because they chose a different path when you're not internally happy with the choice that you had made.

You're asking a lot. That's why there are trolls in the first place. I'd like to see peace on Earth in my lifetime, but the Marlins have a better chance at winning the next 5 World Series.

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I know this is slightly off topic but I rule out any possibility of ever jumping ship to Android. My sister chose a Galaxy S4 after owning an iPhone 4, and already 5 months after owning, her battery doesn't even get her through a day on light use, the phone lags terribly for basic operations like phone calls and menu browsing, and her phone even picked up a virus a few weeks ago (she had no virus protection but still, poor). Whilst she definitely isn't a tech savvy person or maintains her phone, a good mobile OS should require little maintenance and a novice user should still have a zippy, snappy phone 5 months (and more) after purchase. While I consider myself an advanced user across WP, iOS and Android, Android is simply just messy to me. Some would argue that this can be fixed with tweaking and installing a launcher etc, but guess what? I don't have to do any of that on WP.

It's the simplicity, the super fast OS, the beautiful hardware, and the fact my phone can do what a phone is meant to do, and incredibly well, that I never see a reason to switch. I love apps and games, but i've never felt app envy apart from iOS app novelty trends that start up and disappear pretty quickly.

I definitely appreciate iOS and Android and I don't hate them or anything, but the most important things in a phone (to me) are on my Lumia 1520.

I really wish more people knew about Windows Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb