Hi there!

I am an Android phone user for 4 years now who is quite happy with my current phone the S3 LTE. No doubt Windows phones are on the rise and I am curious. So, I would like to ask these questions regarding the OS (and the latest updates attached to it as of March 2014) in particular high-end Lumia phones (like the 1020) that would help me decide.

1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows me to send photos (or any files supported) via bluetooth to an Android phone?
    2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off things such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
    3. Does the Lumia have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Or Surround sound option?
    AND Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s online?
    4. Does Lumia phones fully support full drag n dropping of files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia without the need of any 1st-party app?
    5. What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Translate, Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
    And why no Youtube app on the Marketplace? Or I could be wrong.
    6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper? (For 8.0 atleast)
    7. Any swiping capability in typing? (A feature found in Android phones where you slide your fingers on the keyboard for faster typing) are there any predictive text ability in WP8?
    8. Any good alternatives music player, video player for the Lumia?
    I'm looking for an app that supports hi-fidelity files such as Flac or video files such as .mkv?
    9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer via an app or within device?
    10. Can one send complaints or suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like in Google's Play store)
    11. How fast is the startup and shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is it as quick as an S3 or iphone? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo (with a swipe to the left or right or thru a window toggle or something) that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
    12. Is there a Battery-saving option in Lumia phones? (Like what most Android phones have nowadays)
    13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?
    For me its kinda crucial but I do admit I like a bit of casual games on my daily commute or when during a holiday.

Pls advice. Thanks.
    03-28-2014 04:20 PM
    1-yes
    2- no, but will be in wp 8.1
    3-yes
    4- dont know
    5- bing translate, onedrive etc...
    6-yes
    7-no
    8-no
    9-no
    10- you canrate app
    11-dont know
    12-yes
    13i have few games and i plying it all time because of achievements... But yes,many new are not for wp...
    Gino Guillermo likes this.
    03-28-2014 04:28 PM
    1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows me to send photos (or any files supported) via bluetooth to an Android phone?
    I think you can do this, thou not 100% sure.
    2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off things such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
    no but there are a bunch of apps that can help you
    3. Does the Lumia have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Or Surround sound option?
    I am not sure
    AND Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s online?
    Yes on the first part, the 2nd question I don't think so.
    4. Does Lumia phones fully support full drag n dropping of files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia without the need of any 1st-party app?
    from your MAC you use the Windows Phone connector, it will import whichever songs you want to from itunes. Still keep using ituens to manage your music.
    5. What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Translate, Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
    translator from microsoft, all windows phones come with nokia drive, and use Onenote for notes.
    try metrotube, but google sucks and hasn't made a first party youtube app.
    6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos?
    yes
    Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.?
    yes for many apps
    A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper? (For 8.0 atleast)
    not until 8.1

7. Any swiping capability in typing? (A feature found in Android phones where you slide your fingers on the keyboard for faster typing) are there any predictive text ability in WP8?
    no, but nothing beats the Windows Phone keyboard, there is nothing close to it on the market.

Just use the built in one. This isn't like Android where everything can be changed.

I'm looking for an app that supports hi-fidelity files such as Flac or video files such as .mkv?
    Unsure about this, but have you checked to see if xbox music will play it?

9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer via an app or within device?
    No it doesn't, something I wish to be added but I email documents to my HP printer using the @hpeprint.com

10. Can one send complaints or suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like in Google's Play store)
    Yes you can send a review.

11. How fast is the startup and shutter speed of the Lumia cameras?
    it is very fast if you use the built in one, nokia camera pro is much slower

Is it as quick as an S3 or iphone? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo (with a swipe to the left or right or thru a window toggle or something) that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
    I am not sure but the Nokia cameras are the best on the market, yes on sharing.

12. Is there a Battery-saving option in Lumia phones? (Like what most Android phones have nowadays)
    Yes, and on all windows phones.

13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?
    It isn't MS job, rather email the developer of the apps to make a game for Windows Phoen
    03-28-2014 04:35 PM
    Wow that's a lot of questions. I might have to take a nap half way through. ;) Anyway, welcome.
    1. Sort of, more support should be coming in 8.1. For now Pocket File Manager is the best way to do it.
    2. Coming in 8.1
    3. Yes, I'm not sure about every model, but for sure all of the higher end Lumias have Dolby and an Equalizer. Playlist creation on the fly is supported by checkmarks. Not super powerful, but it's there. For album art there is an app for that called MPAtool.
    4. Yes. You can plug it in and deal with your music, pictures and videos through finder.
    5. Bing translate is great and supports optical character recognition. As far as Google Drive goes I think it's worth the effort to switch to OneDrive if you switch to WP. If not there are several unofficial apps to access Google Drive. OneNote is better than keep and free on all devices. No official YouTube app because Google has blocked access to Microsoft with a ridiculous list of requirements. Metrotube, myTube, and Toib are excellent alternatives that in many ways are better than official apps on any platform.
    6. Yes to everything but wallpaper, at least not the way you are thinking of. You can set a lock screen. Background support is coming in 8.1. Check today's headlines for more info.
    7. Swipe style keyboard should be coming in 8.1 predictive text and autocorrect are currently better than android and ios in my opinion.
    8. Moliplayer Pro supports almost anything. VLC has an official app on the way, but it could be a while.
    9. Only on printers that support email or apps. No native printer support. Could be coming in 8.1 but I don't know.
    10. Not exactly but most developers have ways to send feedback. There is a star rating system and you can leave a short review on the app. This is rumored to be improving soon.
    11. Startup is a little slow but other than that the camera experience on a Lumia, especially models with Pureview blows away iPhones and Androids. Yes to the others.
    12. Yes, every WP has battery saver. You can choose when it is on.
    13. Games are our weak spot as far as being even with the other platforms. Don't expect to have all of the same games. There are still thousands of fun games on Windows Phone, just not the same fun games.

Make sure you click or tap thanks on this comment. That was a lot of work. ;)
    03-28-2014 04:52 PM
    It's like 5 days until 8.1 is announced. Wait until then and re-evaluate these questions. There's not really any point in doing these sorts of comparisons when the OS is going to be massively overhauled in just a few days.
    03-28-2014 05:02 PM
    I would say your best bet to "check out" Windows Phone is to find a sale on an unlocked Lumia 520/521 and just buy it (I got mine for $60). This is an affordable way to play with Windows Phone 8 without locking you into a contract or buying an expensive device that turns out not to meet your needs. The 14 day return period for most carriers is way too short to really wring out an OS. If you want to use it as a phone then your best bet is either pay as you go with Aio (ATTs prepaid). Also, even if it isn't exactly what you want it makes a great mp3 player with the addition of a 32 GB (about $15), 64 GB micro SD card ($29-$39 on sale). The Walmart $30 plan (100 minutes and 5 GB data) is also a great way to check out Windows Phone 8 for a minimal investment and make your own judgments on whether it will fit your needs. Obviously, phones like the Lumia 1020, Lumia 925/928, or the new Icon on Verizon are going to be faster and have MUCH better cameras but this is about the limitations/capabilities of the OS. Personally, I have found there are quite a few apps (no workarounds except mobile IE which I don't find acceptable) that just aren't and may never be there and other apps that are less capable or more out of date than their Android or iOS counterparts. I really believe the low cost method is better than trying to buy an expensive phone on contract and then finding out two months later it doesn't really work for you. The other rather annoying thing about WP8 is that there is very little commonality to the actual phone models on each carrier. On Android, if your friend has a Samsung S4/S5, HTC One/M8, Moto X, LG G2 or other high end phone it is generally available on all the big players (ATT, TMo, Sprint, VZW) and even some of the regional carriers. On WP8, you never know when or if a particular phone will come to any carrier and MS/Nokia still haven't fixed this (while some models are similar they are never the exact same phone everywhere (most recent example is the VZW Lumia Icon (the first flagship with state of the art internals - Snapdragon 800, 1080P screen, 2 GB RAM and a 20 MP Pureview camera - even this one has 9 months old internals and the rest of the world is moving on to Snapdragon 801/805). While Windows Phone enthusiasts say the OS doesn't need top end specs I believe in buying the most future proof hardware (spend the extra money) when I use up my contract renewal because you never know what MS might introduce in the future that might require more robust hardware - especially if you used to keeping your phones for the full two year contract period.
    03-28-2014 05:10 PM
    1. It does work (already tried that)
    2. Not until WP 8.1
    3. Only on high-end Lumias (the 520 doesn't, I don't know about the 620, 625, 720)
    4. idk (I don't use Apple stuff)
    5. Bing Translate (I only use it to translate Korean, but it's much better than the Google one)
    6. Absolutely
    7. You can only swipe from the Shift key (temporarily change to capital) and 123 (temporarily change to number & symbol mode)
    8. Never tried. sorry
    9. Again, sorry (I don't have a printer)
    10. In WP 8.1 I think you can contact the dev within the store.
    11. About 2-3 second for the Nokia Camera (by holding the camera button when the phone is locked)
    12. Sure.
    13. I don't play games, so I can't say about this.
    03-29-2014 03:12 AM
    Hi there!

I am an Android phone user for 4 years now who is quite happy with my current phone the S3 LTE. No doubt Windows phones are on the rise and I am curious. So, I would like to ask these questions regarding the OS (and the latest updates attached to it as of March 2014) in particular high-end Lumia phones (like the 1020) that would help me decide.

Potentially, but I doubt it. Probably, certainly not through NFC at this time.
    No, but there are shortcuts you can get that take you straight to the settings
    Higher end Lumia's have Dolby onboard and an equalizer. Not in the low end like the 520. (My 920 has those)
    Ehh, don't think so, not sure on that. As for album art, theres an app for that. (MPATool)
    As long as your Mac can access the filesystem. So yes.
    Bing Translate is a fine alternative and works great.
    The built-in Office and OneDrive combo are a great alternative to Google Drive. but no decent GDrive app.
    OneNote is a great note-taking app, I recommend you use it. (especially since it can sync to the OneNote app online, on Mac, iOS, android, Etc.)

No OFFICIAL YouTube due to Google's shenanigans. But that's well documented. Get Metrotube, myTube. those are the best ones out there. (not official, but just try them, they're great.)
    6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper? (For 8.0 atleast)
    Yes.
    That is rumored to pop up in the next update next month.
    and there is a predictive text feature. It's actually quite good.

Nokia MixRadio plays offline music just fine
    There aresome others i believe.
    If not supported by the built-in stuff, MoliPlayer has become the VLC of Windows Phone.
    Nothing system-wide, but there are some printing apps. I would assume no unless you find something for your specific needs.
    I believe so, there are your normal ratings, and I believ ethere is an email option IIRC.
    11. How fast is the startup and shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is it as quick as an S3 or iphone? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo (with a swipe to the left or right or thru a window toggle or something) that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
    I find it quick, but I don't have up-to-date experience with either.
    there is panorama by two apps. One my MS, one by Nokia.
    You can share easily.
    Right under "battery saver" in settings.
    they're trying, but the ball is mostly in the developer's court.
    For me its kinda crucial but I do admit I like a bit of casual games on my daily commute or when during a holiday.

Pls advice. Thanks.
    like everyone else in this thread, i shall reply in answering your questions
    yay for redundancy
    my input in bold above
    03-29-2014 01:06 PM
    for photos, yes... tried it myself
    for other files, haven't tried it yet... but not every files can be transferred from a Windows Phone via bluetooth, even to another Windows Phone device

coming in Windows Phone 8.1

Dolby -> yes
    Equaliser -> yes, in the Nokia MixRadio
    Surround sound -> I don't know
    Playlist -> yes
    Search for songs -> yes

Be aware that the phone might show up doppelganger files...
    It's something that annoyed lots of WP users worldwide

I don't know about this

Bing Translator, OneDrive, One Note
    Why no YouTube? -> Google's trick to strangle Windows Phone

Pinch to zoom -> Yes, and even better: you can swipe to zoom!
    Edit -> Yes
    Share -> Yes!
    Wallpaper -> Yes

Word Flow (WP's "Swype") coming in Windows Phone 8.1
    Predictive text -> yes and it's very good! it learns what you type too...
    I'm Indonesian and sometimes I chat using local language... much to my surprise the predictive text can recognize the local words after a while

MoliPlayer (sic)
    I heard rumours that VLC is coming to Windows Phone

I don't know, but I guess no

Yes, in the form of "Rate and Review"

you mean the shoot-to-shoot time? my Lumia 1020 is so slow at this (using Nokia Camera, about 6 seconds shoot-to-shoot, about 10 seconds from start up, shoot, and then shoot again; it's faster if you use manual focus)...
    haven't observed another models, though...
    but hey, there's a smart mode that can take about 10 pics and then post process it to: choose the best photo, remove objects, change faces (time shift, some people said...), and even giving a movement blur to the background

Panorama -> yes, via Nokia Panorama
    Quickly see a photo -> yes
    Edit and share -> yes

Yes! I have "tortured" my phone once:
    20% battery left while on a 10+ km trip, playing music halfway and navigating with HERE Drive+ all the way through (oh, and I got lost for 15 minutes)
    arrived in the destination, and the monster's still alive

it's not MS' business
    04-03-2014 08:10 PM
    Is there full copy & paste options of almost anything and to & from apps/notes/websites/messaging, etc.?

The way one create playlists in the music player is quite strange. You play a song, then pause it, then press hold to "Add to Playlist" and then add songs by ticking. Kind of 2 steps more than Android. iOS does it differently as well.

Why would there be doppleganger files in the music player? Is this being addressed in the next update?

As an Android user i use Google Maps in almost anything from getting myself from point A>B (via busses, trains, walking) with voice. What can Here Maps offer me as a better option than GMaps? Does it work better? What features are unique to Here Maps that i can't find in GMaps?
    04-13-2014 06:21 AM
    Is there full copy & paste options of almost anything and to & from apps/notes/websites/messaging, etc.?

The way one create playlists in the music player is quite strange. You play a song, then pause it, then press hold to "Add to Playlist" and then add songs by ticking. Kind of 2 steps more than Android. iOS does it differently as well.

Why would there be doppleganger files in the music player? Is this being addressed in the next update?

As an Android user i use Google Maps in almost anything from getting myself from point A>B (via busses, trains, walking) with voice. What can Here Maps offer me as a better option than GMaps? Does it work better? What features are unique to Here Maps that i can't find in GMaps?
    1. Sure.
    2. I've never got issues with ghost files after 7-8 months and 2 Lumias. Some folks say they got it but I never do.
    3.Here maps doesn't work here, so I can't tell ya.
    04-13-2014 08:01 AM
    The livesight in Google Maps is better than in Here Maps. Google Maps also has the edge in terms of detail in its maps because it allows crowd-sourcing so there are a couple more of registred public places in the Maps.
    On the other hand , Nokia Here is better in Voice Navigation/Direction and in Public transportations thanks to Here Drive/ Here Transit. Also you can use all the HERE Services offline by downloading the Maps once and for all , whereas you need a data/wifi connection to use Google Maps. So HERE Maps can save you a lot of Data , and you can also use it in the wild where there is no internet connection.

So i think each one have its advantages ...
    04-13-2014 08:22 AM
    There seem to be a Google Maps app on the Windows Phone store but its not from Google. Is it safe to install?

The two times ive used Google Maps in the past 6 months is 1. To look for a particular restaurant for me and the wife and 2. To look for my job interview place. Google Maps worked fine but what can Here Maps do better in these circumstances? Does it talk a lot? Does it load up the area better?

Also if i go to Paris and want to use a map of the area would Here Maps help me by (as you said) saving a map for offline use? May i ask how?
    04-13-2014 08:56 AM
    If you download maps for Paris, you can use Here to navigate in the city even without a data connection. It basically works like a stand alone Garmin gps navigator. Think - no data roaming charges.

I used Here when traveling abroad. I will typically set the airplane mode on and navigate away.
    04-13-2014 09:05 AM
    Another question spring to mind is cloud storage. We all know about OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox et al but since i'm buying my very first Windows Phone 8 i can see the hardware is nothing compare to the quad-core behemoths of Android. So my fear is if i'm backing-up 100 photos of .jpg resolution (taken from a "standard" 8MP camera in 4:3 ratio) would that Windows Phone struggle in uploading those files?

As i said I'm leaning towards the Lumia 925 vs the 920 but is it worth the hardware upscale?
    04-13-2014 11:18 AM
    Another question spring to mind is cloud storage. We all know about OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox et al but since i'm buying my very first Windows Phone 8 i can see the hardware is nothing compare to the quad-core behemoths of Android. So my fear is if i'm backing-up 100 photos of .jpg resolution (taken from a "standard" 8MP camera in 4:3 ratio) would that Windows Phone struggle in uploading those files?
    HAHAHAHA *sniff* BAHAHAHA the hardware isn't going to be top-notch, but its still not "nothing." (oh god the horror if it was) I've spammed photos before on my 920 and didn't notice any problems when I reconnected to Wi-fi to upload. (even a 2 GB 720p video) My only problem was the upload speed, but that's a reflection of my internet, not the phone. Performance while uploading is going to be a nonissue, even on lower end Androids I bet.

As i said I'm leaning towards the Lumia 925 vs the 920 but is it worth the hardware upscale?
    The 920 and 925 are pretty much the same under the hood. The 925 is a slightly newer variant but its not necessarily a step up, its like a sidegrade.

It comes in 16 and a rarer 32 GB version where the 920 is guaranteed 32.

Metal and shades of grey vs colorful matte or glossy plastic. (I like both)

Slightly upgraded camera on the 925 vs the still respectable snapper on the 920.

slimmer build vs the bigger-boned, Qi-built-in 920.

AMOLED vs LCD. (personal preference)

different plug placement IIRC.
    04-13-2014 11:32 AM
    In terms of better viewing in direct sunlight, oversaturation issues, clearer/more natural photos, battery drain, etc. which one is actually better: AMOLED or LCD?

Does the 920 & the 925 both have the USB charging/data port on the bottom? And the headphone jack? I still prefer headphone jacks on top of the phone.
    04-13-2014 12:33 PM
    In terms of better viewing in direct sunlight, oversaturation issues, clearer/more natural photos, battery drain, etc. which one is actually better: AMOLED or LCD?

Does the 920 & the 925 both have the USB charging/data port on the bottom? And the headphone jack? I still prefer headphone jacks on top of the phone.
    I haven't tried for myself, but I thought I heard somewhere an IPS LCD is better outdoors, but I really can't say. Dont quote me on that, i dont have anything behind that claim, just my memory.
    Do know the 920's viewing angles are worse, there is actually a YouTube video comparing the two displays.

AMOLED saves the most power when things are dark, but uses more when things are white.
    LCDs aren't affected since the display is lit anyway. Since it can't light up individual pixels like AMOLED, Glance would use more power.
    But I haven't seen any cross-tech comparisons.
    I heard burn-in is more prevalent in AMOLED.

The USB is on top in the 925 I believe, and bottom on the 920.
    I think headphone jacks are both on top.
    04-13-2014 01:37 PM
    Well one thing for certain is i won't be viewing the phone at an awkward angel anyway. You view your phone on a level vertical plain with your eye-straight straight thru the screen. Am i right?

I'm just merely asking which one would uses more power when on direct sunlight or when at dark.

I still prefer the headphone jack on top unlike the iPhone where its on the bottom.
    04-14-2014 11:55 AM
    Well one thing for certain is i won't be viewing the phone at an awkward angel anyway. You view your phone on a level vertical plain with your eye-straight straight thru the screen. Am i right?

I'm just merely asking which one would uses more power when on direct sunlight or when at dark.

I still prefer the headphone jack on top unlike the iPhone where its on the bottom.
    The 920's headphone jack is dead center on the top and the USB is dead center at the bottom. Regarding screen, if you'll be browsing the web, read email, or view Office files a lot, stick to LCD.
    04-14-2014 07:26 PM
    One thing for certain i won't be looking at my screen or a snowy/rainy day or a scorching 30c Summer sun. I would look at my phone at a normal, averagely lit, dry, away from the elements kinda environment.

I believe the 920 has an LCD so i'll stick to that. Due to my budget constraints i chose the 920. I money wasn't much of an issue i'd get a 1020. My target in the next few months is stiil the 930. Unless a 1030 comes out.
    bijak_riyandi likes this.
    04-15-2014 03:20 PM