Some "WTF" features of the new HTC M8

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone. I am a Nokia fan from way back, and a Windows phone fan since my Lumia 520. I am hanging out for a replacement, either the upcoming Lumia 930 or waiting a little longer for a 1020 successor.

I must admit that I did consider the HTC M8 which has an impressive amount of features and spec. list. Plus of course all that storage, including the free 65GB on Google Drive. And finally, that fantastic dot matrix case nearly won me over. The ability to answer calls and see notifications without having to even open the case-bloody fantastic innovation! And it looks fab to boot.

But I must confess the camera was a deal breaker for me. Looking further into the M8, I noticed a couple of real "WTF?" items and specs.

I know it's been already said, but seriously, a 4MP camera doesn't cut it against the competition, "UltraPixel" or not.
Front camera with higher resolution that rear camera. Great. So when I Skype my wife, she gets a wonderfully high resolution video of my ugly mug whilst I have a low resolution of hers (err.....face) thanks to her overrated and overpriced iphone. Don't people realise that high resolution front cameras are only good for the obligatory teenage selfies and the other person who you are Skyping?
Front camera able to record in high quality video. Who cares? This is just taking selfies to a whole new ridiculous level. What grown men and women are going to record high quality selfies?
The rear dual lens and necessary omission of OIS. This one is a serious blunder to me. I cannot believe a company goes to all that trouble just for post processing refocussing. Seriously, not that many people are going to be into that. And what is even worse, because of the dual lens, OIS was not feasible. I mean really? You sacrifice an absolute necessity like OIS in a flaghsip phone for that silly refocusing gimmick? Don't get me wrong, my Nokia has a refocusing app too. But you don't trade a necessity for a gimmick. And yes, I know that the M8 has lightning fast focusing, but that does not negate OIS, especially for videoing. How great would it have been if you had the lightning fast, class leading autofocus combined with OIS? That would have been a killer feature, now wouldn't it? But no, we sacrifice all that for gimmicky and artificial bokeh.

There, I've said it. But what a shame on the let down on the imaging department because HTC nearly convinced me to buy their flagship instead of my love of Nokia and Windows phone. I dare say if it had say at least a 16MP camera and OIS, I would have bought it-and that fantastic dot matrix case, (Psst....Nokia.....try and make your own version of this).

Does anyone else feel the same way and agree with me?

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Same here, these are probably the most stupid things a company can do to its flagship. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Nokia Refocus app takes 5 photos, not just 2.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Same here, these are probably the most stupid things a company can do to its flagship. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Nokia Refocus app takes 5 photos, not just 2.

Yeah, something like that. You press the shutter and hold the camera for a couple of secs whilst it generates a series of images. I think Nokia can actually be grateful for this monumental stuff up by HTC because I see a lot of people that would have jumped on this device. I really did hate the thought of leaving Nokia and Windows phone, but it's just that the otherwise fabulous M8 is here and now, whilst the upcoming L930 is 3 mths off, whilst a 1020 successor which is what I'm really waiting for is who knows how long? Assuming even that it's going to have a direct successor.

The massive storage, superb features overall and that fantastic dot matrix case was almost irresistible.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
As an aside. I do understand the logic of HTC with their 4MP camera. They have put a large sensor and combined with large pixels, gives excellent low light shooting with less noise. But there is a trade off with detail. But the biggest problem I feel is simple marketing. Most people will not understand about noise, sensors, low light vs daylight levels etc. Most people simply understand "megapixel" and inevitably compare a 4MP offering with all the other offerings, and equate more as being better and 4MP as being lesser.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
As an aside. I do understand the logic of HTC with their 4MP camera. They have put a large sensor and combined with large pixels, gives excellent low light shooting with less noise. But there is a trade off with detail. But the biggest problem I feel is simple marketing. Most people will not understand about noise, sensors, low light vs daylight levels etc. Most people simply understand "megapixel" and inevitably compare a 4MP offering with all the other offerings, and equate more as being better and 4MP as being lesser.
My 920 is fantastic in low light, and I really don't get the point of using 4MP camera when our screen resolutions are getting higher than ever. To make matters worse, the M8 ditches OIS (!) which was available in the last year one.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
My 920 is fantastic in low light, and I really don't get the point of using 4MP camera when our screen resolutions are getting higher than ever. To make matters worse, the M8 ditches OIS (!) which was available in the last year one.

Yeah, definitely agree. There is a large amount of compromise for almost no gain, and in fact going backwards. I imagine the fun of shooting video with the M8 without OIS. Completely inexcusable. But hey, you can create bokeh on all your pics. So worth it. And take better quality pics of yourself by yourself than you can of others. Awesome.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the sample ufocus photos from the M8 announcement, they were laughable and depth of field is inconsistent, like you may not notice it at first, your brain will be like hmm somehow there's something wrong with this photo, but if you look closely there are some very rigid blurring spots and makes the overall picture like a photoshop disaster.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, definitely agree. There is a large amount of compromise for almost no gain, and in fact going backwards. I imagine the fun of shooting video with the M8 without OIS. Completely inexcusable. But hey, you can create bokeh on all your pics. So worth it. And take better quality pics of yourself by yourself than you can of others. Awesome.

My 920 also has f/l2.0 though...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss