How about a radical idea for Microsoft/Windows phone-would this be feasible?

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi fellow WP fans. I remember an advertisement for Dell computers once where you could order a computer with specifications to your choice. They advertised the benefit of custom orders for the consumer, as opposed to just the usual shelf options. What about a radical concept for Nokia/Microsoft? Where (for extra cost and obviously extra waiting/shipping times), you can customise a phone product to your specifications? I'm not saying that you could necessarily get all avaliable specifications on one device, but some at least.

So a customer for eg, could order a 1020 with removable micro SD support and larger capacity battery. I for one would be happy to pay and wait extra for a custom order product. Or order the new 930 again with removable storage and for extra again, a different screen supporting glance.

If this was possible, would you be happy to pay extra and wait longer for a custom phone? Do you think this would be feasible?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Mmmm ...
Excellent thot and I wish it were how things were done.

The factories that make these things are tooled for massive runs.
The amount of customers in the smartphone market would make this a herculean task.
Hard to do translates into heavy costs for the manufactures ultimately passed down to us.

So this wouldn't be feasible and I would rather sacrifice features for low out of pocket.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Agree...the cell phone market is not set up at ALL for something like this. it worked for computers since it was all plug and play ANYWAY, they have someone putting A, B, C into a tower...so they just allowed you to but A, B, X into the tower for an extra fee. That is not how the mobile world works at all...when you go from A, B, C phone to A, B, X...they product test that phone for months before it is released because to get A, B, X together they needed to cram it all into a brand new circuit.

It sounds like the modular phone that I read about though...in that you buy the pieces you want and then put them all together. The basis behind that idea though was so when one piece of your phone becomes outdated, you only replace that ONE piece instead of the whole phone.

I found a recap of it on Engadget. Motorola's 'Project Ara' modular smartphone setup switches out hardware like apps

it was called "Phonebloks" and then that project joined up with Motorola's Project Ara. This was all back in October, not sure if it has gained traction since then but it is an incredibly interesting read/watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro