How do I convince someone that the Windows Phone is superior? (Surrounded by iphones and androids)

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I always show people how City Lens works, that music search and code scanner are natively integrated, and that I can arrange (up to 256) apps on the start screen, with the ability to highlight them using different tile sizes or header/group tiles, so that I am able to have all most used/important apps visible in just one or two vertical flicks. After stat I start pinning content to the start screen (contacts, music, documents, feeds, routes, notes ...) or take a photo without unlocking my phone.

That's basically what makes the difference and makes people stop talking wrong about WP.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Another one: When they're searching for something, just scan the text via Search button, highlight the words, tap search, and show them this handy out-of-the box feature.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I know how you feel, I'm in your exact same boat. I mostly ignore such things, phones just aren't worth alienating friends over.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't sometimes use my tech-geek prowess to obliterate those who dare challenge me in terms of tech knowledge (I'm in highschool, and most my peers are very, very novice in terms of understanding technology). But still, as annoying as they can be, just Keep Calm and Metro-On. Again, a preference for a phone isn't worth killing a friendship for.

But if they do get too dickish, may I suggest the following points?
1) Point out its gorgeous Metro interface that clearly was innovative enough for Apple to copy
2) (if using iPhone) Point out iOS 7 is nice, but still ancient, stale and boring. Seriously, it's a grandma's phone.
3) (if using Android) Say your a virtuous fellow, and would rather not associate yourself with a RAM *****. Sure, it's got a couple tricks and favors it can do you, and some really impressive specs that sound incredible on paper (That big, eh?), but at the end of the night: You just end up with some sort of virus.

(Number 3 is my personal favorite. Android is the Windows Vista of the mobile world, so it's easy to pick on, heheheh).

diaper84

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honest opinion,
I'm using nexus 5, nexus 7 and lumia 925 at the moment.

It really is not. Whatever advantage it has comes from Nokia not microsoft.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Sit the 1520 next to a Note 3.or G4...let those that say this phone isn't a better looking...better sounding...better performing...with less effort is blind deaf and plainly dumb..

While the 1020 draws folks to it for the camera naturally...this one draws folks to the screen...and once they pick it up..and see what we've seen..they either get pissed off..or start smiling...
I've seen this first hand several times...

I know why some smile..but..I can only guess those that have gotten po'd because they know they should've spent their upgrades on one,or are po'd cause they believed all the crap that has been said.and now they know better...

Mac

Sent from my Nokia 1520

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
the time is the problem, see the following table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone#Historical_sales_figures_.28in_millions_of_units.29
Yearsandroidblackberryapplesymbianwindows phone/mobile
2013(Q1 + Q2 only)34012.569.30.63114.4

other os started to growing up at 2011, except symbian and windows mobile/phone
but if you look at blackberry at 2012, it dropped, android was the fastest growth like bitcoin in 2013, you just need to wait, bitcoin took ~5years to become a big hit
just wait for a year to 2 years, windows phone will rise up, and rule them all, and android will become the next blackberry and symbian

Last edited:

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Listen Up! Did i mentioned your name in my post?? Did i replied to your post?? NO!
So Shut the **** up!
Perhaps you didn't read my post well enough!
I told that the persons who say they don't like WP because of Apps and Basic Features those are fools..! NOT YOU SPECIFICALLY!!
Mind That!

You do realise this is a *public forum*? The entire point of this site is to discuss issues - nowhere does it say that I may reply to a user only if they reply to me specifically. And with the general tone of your post, thanks for proving yourself a fool once again.

Second, I read your post, thanks. I understand it perfectly. Perhaps your comprehension is lacking, as evidenced by your misuse of "mentioned" and "replied" (that's the third time now).

And finally, you asserted that everyone who dislikes WP because it lacks specific apps and features are fools. I countered by pointing out that people's needs differ from yours and provided an example of why WP cannot fulfil my needs. You then proceeded to go full retard.

Never go full retard.

I also note that your entire point - that someone who misses particular features/apps is a fool - is in itself stupid. So I'm a fool if I say I don't like WP because it can't do the things I need (much less the things I want)? Once again, there's only one fool here and it's not me.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
You do realise this is a *public forum*? The entire point of this site is to discuss issues - nowhere does it say that I may reply to a user only if they reply to me specifically. And with the general tone of your post, thanks for proving yourself a fool once again.

Second, I read your post, thanks. I understand it perfectly. Perhaps your comprehension is lacking, as evidenced by your misuse of "mentioned" and "replied" (that's the third time now).

And finally, you asserted that everyone who dislikes WP because it lacks specific apps and features are fools. I countered by pointing out that people's needs differ from yours and provided an example of why WP cannot fulfil my needs. You then proceeded to go full retard.

Never go full retard.

I also note that your entire point - that someone who misses particular features/apps is a fool - is in itself stupid. So I'm a fool if I say I don't like WP because it can't do the things I need (much less the things I want)? Once again, there's only one fool here and it's not me.

Both of you need to let it go and stop fighting.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Making things personal on this thread or any threads on WPCentral will not be something any of us will like to see. If you disagree with anything being written publicly, try and express that in as much of a civilized way as possible without making it personal. No one really behind their PCs care about how you feel about them. They care about discussing something that matters to them, just like you. If this thread has to be a useful discussion, let us make sure we are all talking about the topic and not busy insulting one another?[/WARN]

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
How to convince them that WP is superior? You don't, put simply.

If you're buying a phone because you want to be 'the best', you're doing it wrong. There's something for everyone, and there doesn't need to be a universal winner.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Time to play... :D

Honestly, I have NEVER tried to convince someone that WP is superior than any other platform. It's really pointless. The BEST way is to show the features that they are interested in and use AND to also admit the platforms shortcomings. Also, show them things that they didn't ask about but you think are cool.

Your willingness to admit that it's not for everyone, but there are merits to the platform for other reasons that can't be matched by current platforms will either win them over or get them to thinking.

I work at Microsoft. I love our products and services, but I don't use them all. They don't all fit into my way of life. There are TONS of employees that use Windows Phone, Android and iPhone. There are MAC's here as well as iPads and Surface tablets. We don't make fun of the people that use them or try to make them switch, we accept that for some reason, our platform may not meet all of their needs.

Of course, we want everyone to use our products and services, but you just can't please everyone all of the time.

My wife recently switched from Android to Windows Phone (YAY 1520!!) and she really liked it. Not as cluttered as her S4 and the biggest things for her:

No more lag
The battery life is excellent

So for her, it was a win.

I have a friend that went and bought a 920 from Android and the App Gap at the time and some features he wanted, he returned it and went back to Android. So no win here.

My advice would be to change your tactic. Don't try to One Up the other platforms. Show how our platform can meet their expectations AND surpass them. If it can't, admit we are still young and growing and maybe someday, things will change.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to think perhaps the absolute best way is to just enjoy your device! They'll notice you playing with it and become curious. Curiosity killed the cat but it is brought back by satisfaction... And you'll spread the word without having to say anything at all.

•Sent from space using Tapatalk.•

Exactly, the best way to convince someone that your device is better is not to try ;-)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
the time is the problem, see the following table
Historical sales figures (in millions of units):
Yearsandroidblackberryapplesymbianwindows phone/mobile
2013(Q1 + Q2 only)34012.569.30.63114.4

other os started to growing up at 2011, except symbian and windows mobile/phone
but if you look at blackberry at 2012, it dropped, android was the fastest growth like bitcoin in 2013, you just need to wait, bitcoin took ~5years to become a big hit
just wait for a year to 2 years, windows phone will rise up, and rule them all, and android will become the next blackberry and symbian

If you're going to quote figures then at least quote the source you got them from, that table looks like something I could knock out in Excel in about 2 seconds!!!

Last edited:

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't ever try to convince the common folks that windows phone is better. I have a Nokia Lumia 1520, and get lots of questions about it and answer them with everything they ask. I will only set a point when Android start going at it with me, especially when they ask why I didn't get a note 3. My advice only argue with the technologically inclined, and keep it casual for the rest.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't ever try to convince the common folks that windows phone is better. I have a Nokia Lumia 1520, and get lots of questions about it and answer them with everything they ask. I will only set a point when Android start going at it with me, especially when they ask why I didn't get a note 3. My advice only argue with the technologically inclined, and keep it casual for the rest.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Whenever I am asked "Why didn't you get <insert phone here>?", my response is always:

"I have had those devices or those like them and right now, Windows Phone fits my lifestyle and mobile needs the best."

This normally sparks a conversation and more often than not, gets a request to play with my phone where I almost always get comments like:

"Wow, this is pretty!"
"Man, this is so smooth!"
"I wish my version of this app looked this good!"

The comments go on and on, but overall, the platform can speak for itself. :D

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
In all actuality you can't. There's still things which Android works better for than WP8 does for me. Its all based on what the persons needs are. If they want everything Unified, they will go with iPhone (cause it's "high-end" expensive) or Windows Phone (support keeps dropping for older (not so old) models). If they want a variety in choices they choose Android - they don't want to be locked in a market, they want free things all around.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Instantly, when I got my Windows Phone 8, I got negative rep from my friends. One even compared it to a "bag of milk" (I don't get it either) and a useless brick that has lost all hope of becoming a good smart phone. They say it sucks and it lacks the amazing features off the iphone and android. Also, they say it's a total copy and the new 8.1 update is nothing good. How do counter their points? How do I tell them that there is some good in a Windows Phone that is worth trying and loving? :straight:

Hahahaha, really!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb