How do I convince someone that the Windows Phone is superior? (Surrounded by iphones and androids)

Septiformus

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The Problem is most devs make their apps for iOS and Android before they even think about Windows Phone. Take for example, games, Cut the Rope (yea, we got one or 2 but, not the new ones), Candy Crush, any MANY other big titles that are on iOS/Android. We still dont have Apps from big companies like Dish Network, Directv, a hand full of banks (depending on what banks you use) and the biggest one for people is the local apps. These are from your local TV and radio stations, local but biger busineses and again banks.

Not to mention that MS has released Apps for iOS and Android that they don't have on WP.
One of the biggest reasons I got a WP was thinking that I could natively use RDP.... well I can't, AND Microsoft released the RDP app for Android and iOS, but not for WP

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention that MS has released Apps for iOS and Android that they don't have on WP.
One of the biggest reasons I got a WP was thinking that I could natively use RDP.... well I can't, AND Microsoft released the RDP app for Android and iOS, but not for WP

As I 100% agree with you, I was looking forward to a native RDP app from Micrososft that even came with Windows Mobile (or had to install but, was free). With that being said, for RDP there are some dam good 3d party apps for that. I use it too, I am a systems admin, so I need remote access on the road, doing it on the phone kind of stinks but, for quick changes, it's awesome.

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Same here, once I actually show them how it differs from android or ios, and show them what the tiles "do", they begin to like it much more.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Instantly, when I got my Windows Phone 8, I got negative rep from my friends. One even compared it to a "bag of milk" (I don't get it either) and a useless brick that has lost all hope of becoming a good smart phone. They say it sucks and it lacks the amazing features off the iphone and android. Also, they say it's a total copy and the new 8.1 update is nothing good. How do counter their points? How do I tell them that there is some good in a Windows Phone that is worth trying and loving? :straight:
Why should thy ditch their phone and pay full price for a new one. Don't be rude. Wait until they have an upgrade and gently push them towards it.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Every night, go in to the guys room dressed as an iPhone and start beating him with sticks. You may alternate the iPhone costume with a Galaxy costume. Do this for about 4 months. Then dress someone else as a 1520 and have them save the day. Continue until the person is so traumatized by the experience that the site of an iPhone or Android phone makes him crumple to the floor in the fetal position.

2tomtom

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
The winner is always the person who chooses the right phone for themselves. End of really.

If you chose WP and its the right phone and OS for you, then you're a WINNER. So be proud!

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For anybody who has iPhone I just show them my live tile with local weather radar and ask them how they do that on their iPhone. That shuts them up in a hurry.

For android guys, I just reply that my phone runs and runs smoothly all of the time. No Android phone can ever make that claim. (Well they can make that claim, but it will be a lie :-D)

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Give it to them. Let them explore it. Tell them to go into email, exit, open another app, switch apps. It's blazing fast, unlike Android. Show them a few of the gorgeous apps that show off the flagsihp metro interface (Bing News, Bing Sports, Amazing Weather, you name it). Do a voice search and show them how the results are sorted. Race them to get up navigation and have another friend give you guys a spot to find. No way they will beat you to it. You would think that the Androids would be faster -- they aren't. Show them xbox music and tell them you can download any music and fully add it to your collection without buying it. Show them the glance screen.

I'll be honest, just about every person I've shown the phone to, let them play with, etc, loves it if they're open-minded at all.

This is pretty much my answer. Just lead by example. I used to be pretty vocal about how awesome my wp was, but people don't want to hear it. So I just shut up and let the phone's capabilities do the talking. After beating them in searches, etc. multiple times, my wife eventually broke down and got a 1020. Let me tell you when I whipped that puppy out among all the other parents at a team meeting it got lots of looks and comments. Many had heard of it and were impressed. But I digress.

Several times I've "smoked" other phones with searches, posts, etc just because of all the built in capabilities and sheer speed of the OS. Things like that start to sink in. Not everyone will switch, but they stop giving you a hard time.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty much my answer. Just lead by example. I used to be pretty vocal about how awesome my wp was, but people don't want to hear it. So I just shut up and let the phone's capabilities do the talking. After beating them in searches, etc. multiple times, my wife eventually broke down and got a 1020. Let me tell you when I whipped that puppy out among all the other parents at a team meeting it got lots of looks and comments. Many had heard of it and were impressed. But I digress.

Several times I've "smoked" other phones with searches, posts, etc just because of all the built in capabilities and sheer speed of the OS. Things like that start to sink in. Not everyone will switch, but they stop giving you a hard time.

I have nothing more to add to this conversation, but I just want to say GO NOLES!!! :)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Instantly, when I got my Windows Phone 8, I got negative rep from my friends. One even compared it to a "bag of milk" (I don't get it either) and a useless brick that has lost all hope of becoming a good smart phone. They say it sucks and it lacks the amazing features off the iphone and android. Also, they say it's a total copy and the new 8.1 update is nothing good. How do counter their points? How do I tell them that there is some good in a Windows Phone that is worth trying and loving? :straight:

The easiest way, in my experience, is just to let them see how you work with it.. What wp does to make your life and work easier.. For some just the build and screen-size is enough to convince them :p

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly the same mentality you have. I got WP so it's the best - without regard for the fact that perhaps iPhone or Android users need something different from their phones. My L920 collects dust and will continue to remain unused until it gets a decent SSH app and a better keyboard (specifically one with arrow keys). That's something I need for my job. So I can't use WP even though I like the UI and the hardware.

So all of you - shut up and stop judging. If people prefer something other than WP, that's their right to do so.

Lol no. If I see a friend using an iPhone or android I don't say anything like why did you buy that phone. Its their choice and I respect that even if I don't agree with their choice, different people have different needs and that's why we have different OS's and phones in the market. But its annoying when someone looks at a windows phone and writes them off as crappy and useless, its even more annoying that they base their opinion on what they heard from other iphone/android users. My post wasn't directed towards people like you just making it clear

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It's simple: You don't.

You let them try the phone and if they like it more, they like it more, if not, it's not the end of the world.

There really is no "superior" platform IMO. It's all about give and take, preferences, etc.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Just ask them if they've used a Windows Phone then say obviously not as you can smell the BS from here!!!

Or

Just be content knowing that you're using the worlds fastest growing mobile operating system, let them realise they're being shallow idiots when you don't react to anything they say about your phone.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Every night, go in to the guys room dressed as an iPhone and start beating him with sticks. You may alternate the iPhone costume with a Galaxy costume. Do this for about 4 months. Then dress someone else as a 1520 and have them save the day. Continue until the person is so traumatized by the experience that the site of an iPhone or Android phone makes him crumple to the floor in the fetal position.

I think that might be overdoing it...

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Like has been said..hand it to them and let them play with it..

I got a 1520...and there are only 2 of us out of about 35 guys with WP phones..now...everyone is jealous.it shows...don't let it bother you..

Now..when I am watching a movie on mine...most want to watch as well...and they call mine the " Big screen tv"...I just smile...

Mac

Sent from my Nokia 1520

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it all comes down to the individual. For some android or IOS may be superior, and for others WP may be superior. Don't worry about trying to convince someone something is better. If they like what they are using, let them use it. It is hard to get someone off of something they have been used to for something new, and maybe some just don't want to go through the hassle of learning something all over again. Save your breath, because most likely it won't do any good anyway.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

just say this to the android users: "do your phone has lags? because mine don't..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos