How do I convince someone that the Windows Phone is superior? (Surrounded by iphones and androids)

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Keep using your phone and use it for a long time. Don't complain about anything, because there isn't much to complain about really. If they use an app you don't have, wait a month and ask them if they're still using that app, chances are they aren't. When they upgrade their phone and comment on how old your phone is, tell them you don't need to yet, it still works just as well as it did out of the box. Basically, just use your phone, ignore their comments. It'll prove itself overtime just by you using it. It isn't about what it can do per se, but what you do with it, and most people use an app for a little and move on, but majority use it for basically Facebook, messaging, web browsing and as a phone, not for all those other apps really. Take a look at Battery Sense and your usage, you'll probably see mostly built in apps towards the beginning of the list.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It is not Android, it is a fork of it, without a play store and everything. It doesn't look and feel like Android. If they wanted it, they could licence the Play store, but they didn't, because they are not switching to Android.

I didn't say they would. Now Microsoft have bought Nokia, I would say it's quite unlikely they will switch to Android (full or AOSP). If Microsoft hadn't bought them... well, we will never know what might have been.
Anyway, I'm glad you agree with the point about the relative efficiencies of the two platforms. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft continue with the X products.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
This seems like a fitting place to talk about what happened over the weekend.
A friend on facebook asked "HTC One M8 or Galaxy S5 or other? I'm getting rid of my iPhone and iTunes"
I suggested he hold out for the Lumia 930. He was willing to consider this.
Some other guy jumps straight in and says "Windows Phones suck! Android crashes a lot! Stick with ios"
My response was "If your argument against android is that it crashes a lot, why not choose WP?"
His response... "App market is a pile of ****"
Me: "That comment was valid maybe 3 years ago, but not now"
Him: "That's because iphone was the first to have apps and WP8 is too restricted"
I mention Symbian being around was before the iPhone and how being "restricted" meant a more secure OS.
He then must have started to panic as he then starts to go on about how Windows PCs crash all the time and how Office365 won't let him print. Not sure how this relates to WP8.

Long story short, there is no convincing Apple fanboys.

Josh Keisling

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
WP is not superior to andriod or ios, but it is a solid 3rd. Its the truth. However there is a place for WP its for the people looking for something different. Thats why im using wp now, i just got tired of android and ios, i still own both an android and ios device. Now with windows phone 8.1 the os has really stepped it up, i mean its still 3rd but its a great improvement. Its simple things like app support that will take time trying to get dev to make apps for wp, as long as wp keeps on the rise. Thats microsofts goal anyway is to be a solid 3rd and a solid option for people looking for something different. If your trying to get someone to jump to wp youll just have to let them try it out, there is nothing wrong with wp, most people just look at the start screen and are put off by it. Since ive updated to 8.1 on my 928 ive gotten nothing but people saying it looks awesome or cool. Truth is a lot of people are just close minded about even trying something different so let them keep their android or iphone and just know that you have a phone that trys to be different without trying to copy other platforms, well wp doesnt copy AS much as android or ios.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say they would. Now Microsoft have bought Nokia, I would say it's quite unlikely they will switch to Android (full or AOSP). If Microsoft hadn't bought them... well, we will never know what might have been.
Anyway, I'm glad you agree with the point about the relative efficiencies of the two platforms. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft continue with the X products.

Yes, I am hoping that Microsoft will keep the X line, because it is a very interesting strategy, something like: fighting fire with fire (using Android against Android). Will it work?

Pilgrimtozion

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
My main arguments against Android and iOS would be as follows:

1. Android is in my experience not as stable as Windows Phone. Granted, if one prefers customization Android is a great platform. The tremendous downside to the customization is the lack of stability that it results in. Obviously, that is a subjective observation, but it is my experience all the same. In addition to this, my experience is that good Android phone cost more than I am willing or able to pay. A low budget phone typically means you get what you paid for. But then again, even the high end models end up with the aforementioned stability issues. An Android phone does not age well in my opinion.
2. iOS is by nature an expensive ecosystem. Iphones don't come in budget versions. For me, that is the biggest downside I can think of. In addition to that, however, I'm not a fan of how the iPhone operates. It's okay for my iPad (a requirement for certain things I do or else I would have gotten a Windows tablet) but I don't like it on an iPhone. The customization that causes Android's instability is nice and lacking on the iPhone. I feel the screen is too small, the icons too big, things are too cluttered.
3. As far as I am concerned Windows Phone shines in all those areas - especially after the 8.1 update. I can get a Lumia 520 for the fraction of the cost of an iPhone or Galaxy 5. I don't need the latest greatest, what I need is an affordable phone that does most all that those fancy phones do. And in the 520 I find that. Now, higher end units are available and give both aforementioned units a good run for their money. The OS is stable, looks sharp in a way that I feel optimizes functionality while granting a healthy measure of customization - not so much that it hurts your phone and its performance, but just enough.

Ultimately, much will come down to preference. Some may want what all their friends have, which is an iPhone. If you're a Google Hangout fan, you might prefer Android. But a regular user like myself finds himself with money in his pocket to spare, a well-functioning smartphone, and a phone that does what it should the way that it should. But that is just me.

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ehhh...!!! When I got my 1st android back in 2009 everybody said. "What's that?...Get an Iphone or a Blackberry at least" and look how far we've come now. They're afraid of losing their Android religion now. Android is a great OS no doubt about it, but it's so fragmented and resource consuming now that for me it's not appealing anymore. I just can't accept that a phone with a Snapdragon 800 Quad Core 2.3 Ghz and 2GB of ram lags. (really? YES IT DOES) My brother's wife has a Lumia 520 with a decent Qualcomm Dual Core 1 Ghz and 512 of Ram and guess what? haven't seen a lag to this day. My advise for you my friend is this... Just enjoy your phone and do not try to convince them. I know people saying that IOS is the best out there and we all know that it's not so simple. Maybe they like it and android users like android and we just love Windows Phone. In my personal case I do not see myself going back to android. We are setting the trend now. Windows Phone is just what we like and I don't care about my coworkers telling me that my Lumia 1020 is a camera than can make phone calls, they even say "Wow" that camera has facebook? I know it's not just a camera despite having the best camera ever put on a phone. Windows Phone is growing up and we should be pleased we are seeing it grow as we use it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm always mystified by these claims that WP is fast. Try, for example, opening a web browser and going to a web page on a similarly priced Android phone and a Lumia 520 side by side (easy to do in a shop). Android will win by a long way.

As I've said many times before - Android was occasionally less responsive than WP in the past (meaning that WP would do *something* more quickly, e.g. display a loading screen), but much faster to complete an action (meaning the web browser actually being usable).

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys windows phone is great but still apps like star plus cricket which allow you to watch Ipl 7 is there even in low end 512 mb Chinese Droid. So even though Android is not smooth still you can get any popular app(but only after ios).

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that it is superior. That all depends on the user. Some people only care about apps, others like camera features and others like watching movies or TV shows. Does WP do all these things better than any other phone? No, of course not. Neither does iPhone, Android or BlackBerry. That's not even considering which carrier any particular device is on. In the US, T-Mobile usually gets the crappiest selection and AT&T has a history of crippling features.

WP has some outstanding features but it's not quite "there" yet and I don't think 8.1 is an end-all solution.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they will use it on more models. They have to start somewhere. Until recently, they had a corporate position that WP was better, no doubt influenced by the 100s of millions of euros Microsoft were giving them.
Why do you think Nokia have adopted Android for cheap phones? Will this decision survive the Microsoft takeover?

Btw, in case you have forgotten it, we concluded in another thread that Android was more efficient than WP in terms of memory usage, as 512MB Android phones are much less limited in terms of the apps they can run.

My friend, there's a HUGE difference between being able to run something, and being able to run it well...

Hence why Apple and Microsoft limit features in many ways. They sacrifice universal compatibility, in exchange for a much better user experience.

I.E: Apple's frequent decision to give older devices iOS updates, but to limit or completely rip out headline features on said older devices. Why? Well, even though the older updates probably could run all the features, there's a good chance they wouldn't do an ideal job, frustrating to user. It's an interesting choice, but one I agree with. Better to just not let the customer not even touch the feature, rather than them using it and face constant frustration. After all, you can't miss what you never had, so if they never get the feature, they can't really miss it. But if they did get it, then they'd constantly be getting annoyed when it didn't work ideally, constantly renewing frustration, whereas the complete absence of it leads the consumer to forget.

So Microsoft and Apple are simply cutting features for the sake of improving the user experience and reducing headaches for users. Sure, Android /can/ run lots more apps on a 512MB device than a 520, but let's face it: in most cases, the 520 will outperform the comparable Android.

Just like Windows Vista. Sure, plenty of devices could /run/ Windows Vista, but all except the most powerful of machines could run it /well/. Everyone else had to suffer through a slow OS that completely lacked any decent compatibility with Windows XP. Android is basically the Vista of the mobile world: very resource intensive. Low written requirements, but still very demanding in practice, with fragmentation galore.

Granted, things could be much better with Kit-Kat, but seeing as Kit-Kat is only really being found only on the most recent of flagships, we might not know how low-end devices handle it for a time (with the exceptions of those who like to flash their devices).

TL;DR: Sure Android can /run/ on 512 and even 256MB devices, but a comparable Windows Phone handset will likely perform much better, because running and running /well/ are very different.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm always mystified by these claims that WP is fast. Try, for example, opening a web browser and going to a web page on a similarly priced Android phone and a Lumia 520 side by side (easy to do in a shop). Android will win by a long way.

As I've said many times before - Android was occasionally less responsive than WP in the past (meaning that WP would do *something* more quickly, e.g. display a loading screen), but much faster to complete an action (meaning the web browser actually being usable).

While true, one must remember: as much as we hate to admit it, humans aren't that analytical/rational beings.

While raw numbers make perfect sense for a computer, because computers are objective, humans are far more relative and subjective.

So even though Android in some cases may /run/ faster, Windows Phone still /feels/ faster. End result? Because Windows Phone feels faster, they'll think their device is powering along. Yes, it's an illusion, but we silly humans are very prone to such things. It's inescapable, so people will still prefer a device that /feels/ faster, because it /feels/ like something is happening.

That is the most important thing to remember whenever humans are involved: Human error and just how silly humans are in general.

That's why it's so common to see two loading bars on application downloads/installs these days. One that's the absolute overall process of the install/download, and/or a loading one showing the current process going on right now.

While the actual install/download isn't happening any faster, just seeing something move keeps the brain's attention and keeps it interested, hence making it /feel/ like it's faster.

Humans are silly. Design for humans, not for computers. This is why Steve Jobs was so brilliant: he realized this very early on, that you're designing for /people/, not numbers. Microsoft has finally started to catch on to his brilliance.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Note that I don't find Android less responsive than WP (comparing my Moto G with Lumia 520/620 - haven't tried other WPs).
Personally I really value Android's extra speed. On mobile, I often have to quickly find some information, and waiting a few extra seconds can be VERY frustrating.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
"Feels" is subjective. Android we know some apps are going to move a little faster because that is how it works. As far as responsiveness overall a 520 might have a slight edge against a comparable Android device in terms of specs.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
TL;DR: Sure Android can /run/ on 512 and even 256MB devices, but a comparable Windows Phone handset will likely perform much better, because running and running /well/ are very different.

So we come back to question of why Nokia chose Android (well, a fork of AOSP if you prefer) rather than WP for the low spec, 512MB Nokia X. Also why 512MB Android phones have been claimed to run a greater range of apps than 512MB WP phones (*).

(*) This was claimed on another thread by other people - I have not verified it myself.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So we come back to question of why Nokia chose Android (well, a fork of AOSP if you prefer) rather than WP for the low spec, 512MB Nokia X. Also why 512MB Android phones have been claimed to run a greater range of apps than 512MB WP phones (*).

(*) This was claimed on another thread by other people - I have not verified it myself.

It is true. Android has little restrictions on apps and phone specs. It's mostly dependant on what version of Android the device is running. For example, my Moto X had access to mostly every app and game. My RAZR M almost does but runs 4.1.2. instead of 4.4.2. so apps like Muzei and Dash clock are out of the discussion. On my Samsung Gem running 2.1 I have access to a much smaller number of games but most apps are there except a few like Netflix.

In summary, Android=Dependant on OS version what apps you have access to
WP=Dependant on amount of RAM.

Bainsh

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
What appeals to me is not necessarily the Windows Phone alone, but the entire Eco System. I have always been a Windows fan but the integration between my Laptop, Surface 2 Pro, XBox, Windows Phone and Office 365 is nothing short of amazing. I challenge anyone to tell me there is any Eco System better.
B41N5.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What appeals to me is not necessarily the Windows Phone alone, but the entire Eco System. I have always been a Windows fan but the integration between my Laptop, Surface 2 Pro, XBox, Windows Phone and Office 365 is nothing short of amazing. I challenge anyone to tell me there is any Eco System better.
B41N5.

Outside of console gaming, Google and Apple are just as good. But then again there Android Consoles like the Ouya and Fire TV. That Windows synergy is cool, but it's not as cool if you have more than one Microsoft account or if you use another console. Also with a setup like that you have to go all in Microsoft and accept all shortcomings.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I refer you to a post I've already made on this very thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/phone-wars/274062-16.htm#post2495785

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb