What can you do in iPhone and Android that you cannot do with WP?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The title of this thread includes iPhone yet I see file manager, email file attachments, etc. as knocks against WP. Guess what? The iPhone can't do these things either (natively). Comparisons need to be made with devices in their "out of the box" state.

True an iPhone doesn't have a file manager and can't do email attachments out of the box, but an android can. I think all three platforms are capable of more than the average user does with their phone.

One thing I saw mentioned earlier is responding to items in the notification shade. I can see windows phone moving in this direction, but on my android I can manage various notifications from the shade without ever entering the app.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll say it: Google Services.
No matter how much I want to use Windows Phone I realize more and more that Google Services are superior for day to day stuff. I am a college student so I make quick notes (lists, quick reminders, photos) directly from the Google Keep Widget and scroll and see what I need to do next or see what notes I have, all without opening the app. I also use Google Drive for all my papers, it allows automatic saving as you type so I never lose anything and it syncs instantly between my phone, laptop, and desktop. And finally Google Maps. I know HERE is a good alternative but Google Maps takes the cake for me. Google Now integrates with Maps which need me know what my commute will look like to college that day (traffic, length of trip). Google Maps also saves locations and syncs recent searches so that you can always find what you searched for or went to before. You can save favorite locations and set home or work so it takes only a tap to navigate. Not only that it bears mentioning that WP lacks defaults and intents. I can set default apps for specific functions like which browser go open for certain links. Deep app integration allowing apps to talk to each other so that pretty much everything can be shared to whatever app you want. There's more but I'll stop there.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

OneNote
OneDrive (SkyDrive)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
OneNote
OneDrive (SkyDrive)

I actually use those two for my backups. OneNote for all my music, pictures, and files backups, and OneNote for my notes backup. But for everyday use and quick and easy in and out, Google Keep is much better.

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
What youtube app are you using?, ive tried several and havent managed to make them work.

Just from m.youtube.com go to the settings and follow the directions for 'connect to TV'

Or you can install the Microsoft app which just takes you to the website

bionicgt

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Clearly the biggest one is not being able to send or receive and save music via Whatsapp for example, nor in other apps... that's a big problem, most people share their music via Instant Messaging apps :$ !!
So...

FILE MANAGER

nycguy1128

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I find I have missed after switching to my 822 and WP 8.1 is the ability to have a web link open into another application rather than IE. For example, we are in the process of looking for a new home and if we are driving around and see a house on my Android phone I would do a Google search for the address where I would find a link to the listing on Zillow or Trulia. If I had those apps installed, clicking on the link would open the listing within the app rather than the web browser. IE on my WP doesn't render Trulia or Zillow very well. I have encountered similar results clicking links to a WPCentral forum which would open in the browser rather than the WPCentral app or Tapatalk.

I know it's not a major issue...just a nice to have and a little more efficent.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
This is subjective.
Some people are happy with their good old dumb phones.

You are too conclusive,

Dumb old phone??

tuzy5uvy

Say it again!!

Last edited:

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
mhl connection via usb ;-) although this may come at a later date ;-)

i think most operating systems can pretty much do what each other can now but maybe in different methods ;-) that's why i chose the 1020 for my phone as it does everything i need to and has a stand out feature like the amazing camera and xenon flash giving me a fully fledged high quality versatile camera as well as a smartphone ;-)

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes! Yes! Yes! I have a Nokia classic dual sim and its my personal phone used exclusively for calling and texting since it can ran for 3 days w/o charging! My in laws used dumb old phones as they are too old for iphone and the likes so yes its conclusive. Smartphones do not dominate the worldwide count of cellphones.

You are too conclusive,

Dumb old phone??

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/tuzy5uvy

Say it again!!

harisyousaf

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Clearly the biggest one is not being able to send or receive and save music via Whatsapp for example, nor in other apps... that's a big problem, most people share their music via Instant Messaging apps :$ !!

So...

FILE MANAGER

Install aerize explorer..move music file to camera roll. Rename it as .mp4. Now you can share it from whatsapp

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Install aerize explorer..move music file to camera roll. Rename it as .mp4. Now you can share it from whatsapp

I don't consider 3rd party workarounds as a solution for something done natively by another OS. Most people don't do regular backups and if you need to dig around to re-install an app lost during a hard reset, you may find yourself pulling hair.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't need android or iOS,
I just need a perfect phone which doesn't lag or crash app,
Official torrent app, without speed limit and which can store downloaded file directly to SD card, not like export to hub and all that thing,
File

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss