Your thoughts on Lumia 1020 vs the just announced Galaxy K Zoom

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
That would rock.

They're should also be a camera grip accessory that has a 10x optical zoom lens on it. That way you get the best of both worlds. It can be slim when you want it to be, or on certain occasions you can used the grip with zoom.

are you seeing this, Microsoft Mobile Oy?

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is virtually a year old; it is no surprise Samsung finally updated its camera phone to be slimmer. It doesn't look bad, just outdated. :smile: sensor is smaller still than 1020, but IOS is a big deal after having used it for low light shots.

For the 1020, the grip shouldn't have a 10x optical lens on it, it should have an adapter ring for *whatever* lenses you happen to want to put on. :grin: personally 40 mp is amazing, I'd like more dynamic range, and 60 fps recording. 120+ on 640x480 might be fun too.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The fact that the Lumia 1020 still sets the tone with the implication of a phone with an amazing camera...not a camera that oh by the way happens to be a phone. If Nokia wanted to design a camera that could make calls, I'm sure they could. Oversampling works just as good and 41mp is still the standard.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My first reason why the Lumia 1020 is better than the Galaxy K Zoom is Windows Phone. My second reason is if I wanted to be able to zoom I would glue a camera to my phone. It would be about the same thickness as the K Zoom.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I would have to say Samsung may have presented a great camera that can make calls, but the Lumia 1020 is still the best phone with a camera. 41 reasons why. Low light and IOS still set it apart. Nice try Samsung, but stay to TVs.

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I hope 1020 successor comes out soon. Let's see if Nokia have something up their sleeves! Better bring it!!! they're getting challenged, overtime 1020 will remain one of the best but others are slowing catching up. At least MS is starting to develop in the video aspect of things.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here are 3 areas that the 1020 is far superior:

1. The 1020 has a 1/1.5" sensor. The K Zoom uses a much smaller 1/2.3" sensor (similar size to the Xperia Z2). The 1020's image sensor being twice as large as the K Zoom's translates into superior image quality especially in lowlight. Optical zoom doesn't help on that, and frankly you would NOT want to use zoom in lowlight.

2. The 1020's aperture is f2.2 which is much wider than the Zoom's f3.1. The difference is one full stop (i.e. 1020 receives twice more light). This makes a HUGE difference in lowlight. Combined with difference in sensor size, there's really no contest.

3. When zoomed in, the K Zoom's aperture gets even smaller and smaller, up to f6.3 at full zoom. The 1020 doesn't suffer from this problem when zooming in, with constant aperture at f2.2.

In theory, optical zoom sounds nice; but in practice it comes with a serious penalty - the lens is much thicker. To hold down the size, Samsung had to compromise with a poor aperture range of f3.1 - f6.3. This penalizes the camera even when the zoom is not being used, and gets worse when zoom is used.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the k zoom looks much better then the s4 zoom , I think it actually looks quite nice and pretty smart , it will also take some nice pics and has some solid hardware like xenon and ois however it wont match the 1020 in terms of iq and picture quality and pureness

the sensor is much bigger on the 1020 and the optics are of a much higher grade , the kzoom camera is based on a Samsung cheap point and shoot so the lens and optics are not very high quality , then when you match this with nokias great oversampling and software the k zoom wont match it let alone beat it , the 1020 also has a better aperture meaning it will be better in low light ;-)

it will be a good camera phone (kzoom) , a versatile one as well as it has xenon and ois to help it with night shots and fast moving subjects in dim light unlike most other camera phones

on the 1020 we also have rich recording , anyone who has filmed a concert on a Samsung then a nokia rich recording device will know exactly what I am talking about ;-) things like that should not be ignored and just make the 1020 a much better all round camera phone ;-)

what I don't understand is people saying that nokia need to hurry up and get the next 1020 out , nothing has come close to it yet as an all round package and we have seen most flagships already for this year , so why do nokia need to hurry up and give us a half hearted upgrade when we can wait and get a proper upgrade ;-)

I don't think nokia will be shaking in their boots yet and I don't think many people in their right mind will be swapping their 1020s for a kzoom ;-)

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Every Samsung product I ever owned has something wrong with it, my sister's Galaxy crashes all the time, my mates blu ray player freezes and my monitor has dead pixels. Samsung are rubbish.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Not being funny, but things are getting a little ridiculous, soon, smartphones will have pop up sinks and a little cooker, Hello Samsung can I have bacon n eggs for breakfast....

For me the Lumia still looks like a smartphone with a camera attached where as the K Zoom looks like a camera with a smartphone attached.

8GB memory is crazy and to be honest my experience with android and external SD cards is a nightmare, much prefer internal memory, its faster, more reliable and doesn't generally corrupt

Marc Calabrese

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Android may very well be a good OS, but nothing about it screams must have.
Samsung reels people in with hardware specs alone then they throw countless features at you that do nothing but drain your battery faster (airview, etc.).
I carry a Note 3 as well as my 1020 and always use my 1020 as my primary phone. The real estate of the Note is excellent, but I only have it for the S-pen and some apps that either run poorly on Windows Phone or are not there at all.
I love the 41 MP camera on the 1020 and see Samsung's "camera phones" as a camera with phone functionality rather than the opposite. Sure, it looks like a phone, but only to put it in a niche market.

I will stick with my 1020 as my phone with an incredible camera and carry my Note for my paltry Android needs.

Here's my biggest gripe about my WP. Nokia put a rockin' camera in my phone; it's the sole reason I bought it. Everything screams "PHOTOGRAPHY". Amazing photos, and great manual controls. Lots of photo editing apps, from both Nokia and other developers. But, BUT....There is ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, NO WAY to manage, organize, move, rename, sort, etc. the photos that are in my albums, without me tethering (or wifi) to a computer. Microsoft...what the F were you thinking? Anyone remember "QuickPic" from the Android line? A simple app that let me manage all my photos and albums (including a simple way to hide certain albums). One that's rated 4.7 of 5, with nearly 250k downloads. I can't believe there is nothing like this for WP! Found a few apps, but none as versitle and effective as QuickPic.

Got some other gripes about WP, but this one remains the one that will make me go back to Android unless something comes out in the WP world soon.

BlackZeppelin

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I hope 1020 successor comes out soon. Let's see if Nokia have something up their sleeves! Better bring it!!! they're getting challenged, overtime 1020 will remain one of the best but others are slowing catching up. At least MS is starting to develop in the video aspect of things.

I will be honest. I am losing faith in a Lumia 1020 successor now with MS at the helm. Just look at what has surfaced as the first new Microsoft Mobile phone, the one codenamed "Superman". This stunning bit of gear will be the "King of the selfies" featuring a 5MP front camera.

Really? Is this the sort of drivel we can expect now? Nokia were a truly innovative company prepared to take chances and more importantly, prepared to lose money to get their ideas and products out in the marketplace and make a name for themselves for being different, cutting edge and innovative. I fear Microsoft is anything but. MS is pure commercial interest driven, as the latest "Superman" phone rumour indicates. I don't believe they will innovate like Nokia and I don't believe there will be another 41MP phone camera.

I hope I'm wrong but that is my gut instinct.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I will be honest. I am losing faith in a Lumia 1020 successor now with MS at the helm. Just look at what has surfaced as the first new Microsoft Mobile phone, the one codenamed "Superman". This stunning bit of gear will be the "King of the selfies" featuring a 5MP front camera.

Really? Is this the sort of drivel we can expect now? Nokia were a truly innovative company prepared to take chances and more importantly, prepared to lose money to get their ideas and products out in the marketplace and make a name for themselves for being different, cutting edge and innovative. I fear Microsoft is anything but. MS is pure commercial interest driven, as the latest "Superman" phone rumour indicates. I don't believe they will innovate like Nokia and I don't believe there will be another 41MP phone camera.

I hope I'm wrong but that is my gut instinct.
You came to that conclusion because of one rumored device that had a good ffc?

Not every Nokia device was amazing. Not every device is a flagship.

MS just barely acquired Nokia. Give them a little time to actually design a service together. They're probably still barely getting new business cards

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
This Superman was in develop before MS bought Nokia. It probably won't be before fall 2015 we will see Lumias developed only under Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos