What should I do? Move back to Android?

juaanmii920

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't know if anyone will either read or answer this but, here it goes.

I bought three years ago the first Samsung Galaxy of the market when it was like Android 2.1 or 2.2 at the moment. At the beginning it was cool but after a couple of months it started being laggy and apps would start to crash.

In 2013, when that phone started to being a complete mess, I was decided. I didn't want anymore Androids. But I didn't want Apple either, because I don't like their politics and I think it's really overpriced.

So, that left only one choice for me (and yes, I know there's Blackberry, but, come on you guys, it's dead), Windows Phone.

I started researching and I made up my mind quick when I found the Nokia Lumia 920. It was awesome for me.

I went to my local phone store and I said that I wanted to change my phone and the shop assistant started offering me Xperias, Galaxies, etc. and I said that I didn't want anymore Androids because I had kind of a bad experience with it and she responded that Android is not like version 2 anymore and that now is beyond incredible. So, she was starting to **** me off with all the chatter and I said that what I wanted was the Lumia 920 and she said and I quote: "What? Are you nuts? Trust me, don't buy that or any Windows Phone for that matter. They're complete crap."

Long story short, I told her to **** off in nicer words and I went to another store where I bought it.

Nearly a year later, I'm happy with it because it's responsive, customisable, not laggy and cool to be different to everyone (in phone terms.)
I love Windows Phone as everyone here, and I follow WPCentral everyday and other webpages like this one, so don't tell me I don't like it.

But...... there's always a but...

My battery drains super fast (25% an hour using facebook messenger, music and data is enabled), lack of apps and poor love of developers to us (WhatsApp, I'm looking at you) is sort of saddening me. And yesterday, I had the chance to play with a Galaxy S4 of a friend and WhatsApp is amazing there, tons of games, better UI than expected and the battery was barely affected.

So, I love my Lumia and I intend to be with it for a good another year or more. I also know that updates are coming and when the official 8.1 version is released, WhatsApp will be updated and probably, the battery issues will be improved but still, Android now is great as I could see and maybe the stupid and crappy shop assistant was right (and that's what pisses me off the most).

The thing is, what should I do? What would you do? And if someone has read so far, please answer and tell me your story and your opinions.

Thank you so much.:DD:excited:
PS. If there's a grammar mistake please pardon me as I'm not a native speaker. Greetings from Barcelona.:D

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Basically, it's up to you. It's your phone, your needs, and your choice about what direction to take from here considering your needs and how different platforms meets those needs.

I suspect that the app situation will continue for quite some time, unfortunately.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
another thread about apps again?.. choose whatever fits your needs. I am totally happy with my 1520. Besides WP is the only OS that gives us control over camera shutter speeds.

sagara0510

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
you aren't the only one with this dilemma at the moment.

I moved from a Samsung Galaxy S3 to a Lumia 925.

I love the 925 and WP but am also getting tempted to go back to android for all the customization and better app support. I guess it doesn't help that its that time of the year when all the big droid manufacturers have just launched their new flagships (damn that HTC M8 looks good)

It also doesn't help that my 925 has a broken top microphone and front facing camera or that the developers preview for wp8.1 doesn't work with my phone...

patilnik47

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
same story with me happen... but i choose to stay with windows.... i mean.... no lagg... nie look.... uniquness..... who's gona live tht.... now a days every one wana see my n my friends phone.... just because of windows.... :p

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have kinda same problem, i love the way windows phone works, and design and everything, but lack of apps kills me. Developers are ignoring us completely :( If only we could use android apps on windows phone...That would definetly change my mind! Windows Phone might become best mobile OS ever!

Adriaan NL

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I have kinda same problem, i love the way windows phone works, and design and everything, but lack of apps kills me. Developers are ignoring us completely :( If only we could use android apps on windows phone...That would definetly change my mind! Windows Phone might become best mobile OS ever!

That would help, though not with the Android design language which is awful. WhatsApp is downright ugly on Android, and illogical as well. The WP version isn't perfect, say what you will, it follows Metro perfectly. And not that crap of having 2 back buttons on screen.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Do what you need and what works for you. You don't need anyone's approval. I've been a long time WP user myself. Been on the fence for some time. For me it's not just about apps, it's about compatibility with my friends and family. This is not just an app issue. It's an overall ecosystem issue (Lightning adapter cable for iphone5 for example). 8.1 has changed my mind for a bit. I don't know if 8.1 is just prolonging the inevitable or if the ecosystem will finally get parity with the others.

Bottom line, you have to do what works for you.

*Thank you for trying your best with the language of the post. You do better than most and it makes it easy to read when people at least TRY. Thanks!

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I get better battery turning off Location and background tasks unless I need them. I would do the same sorts of things on Android... a Samsung can be just as big a battery drinker.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Its your choice really if you're a heavy user of WhatsApp Snapchat and Instagram and other apps which aren't up to the mark on windows then you should probably shift to Android.
Because what I think is we are getting WhatsApp Snapchat Bbm and other apps in a few months..if you can wait that long good for you but for other apps to be available on wp its gonna take time at least a few months after the official release of 8.1 say when we near the end of second quarter things will be different. Honestly I HATE Samsung its pure **** people around me had awful experience with several Handsets if you're willing to buy s4 in my opinion put your money on a Lumia 930. But if you heavily rely on Google services and apps which are and will be better on Android for sometime then better go for Nexus 5 or some HTC. Its all on your needs. I prefer WP because of the Amazing UI syncs perfectly with my PC..lag free fluid fantastic OS. and Killer hardware by Nokia which cannot be matched by anyone.
Once piece of advice see MS is desperate to grab a good share of Market and to do that it will listen to its customers and give you great features and a good service..and decent updates but you have to patient and content with what you have. If you compare it to Android well then a few features offered by windows Os are much better than Android.
Plus Microsoft gives you your privacy unlike Google.
So even if you shift back to Android with your new S4 you'll definitely be jealous of a Lumia 930 or 1520 your friend has by end of this quarter. If you have the patience then good or else just Go for Android if you cant :)

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
GS4 lags like a SOB on my sister in laws phone - I press the home button and sometimes it takes like 5 seconds for the thing to respond - don't even get her started on when she gets the camera open, and then tries to do something else, or the multi-app thing that completely crashes the phone. Its just like all the other droid phones........doesn't matter what chip, quad, octacore, etc. After a year its going to start lagging, and crashing, just something built into android OS I guess. Plus, cmon man, Samsung.........if your going to switch, at least get the HTC, or the Sony. IMHO, the Sony Z2 and the M8 are the only Android phones I would even consider, and the M's camera is complete $hat. If your on Verizon, go the Icon, thing is amazing, fast, and has given me not a single issue since I bought it on launch. 8.1 is awesome on it too - cant wait for the official release.

Im also wondering what people use whatsapp for other than texting? What does the Android version do that the WP version doesn't? I use it as an alternate to SMS, and it works just fine to me.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Im in similar place as you. I also had the SGS1, but only for few months before letting it go. With Apple also have similar feelings + I know how to use my Win laptop (never have issues with it) so I dont need to be using Apple computers.

Your complaint about battery is justified, but I think its about L920 specially opposed to WP.

I had the L920 and changed it to the Ativ S. I love the Ativ, which gives me about 30% more time than the Lumia. Ativ has bigger battery 2000mAh vs 2300mAh, but the biggest difference is most likely the screen. The LCD (vs the amoled) is a battery hogg.

In terms of the app situation I guess its slowly getting better, but you are correct.

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There's no perfect phone or OS. We all have to look at what is important for us and then match that up with what each OS and phone offers.

I personally used Android for about 5 years before recently switching to WP. I switched for deeper integration with MS software I used with work as well as what I believe is a more secure OS. There are a few things I miss from Android, but overall, WP is working well for me. For what I need, the app situation on WP meets my needs, but I'm not a gamer and don't have to have the latest thing all the time.

As far as battery life, the majority of Android phones are not superior in this respect. I've found my Icon battery life to be better than my Moto X and the Moto X is considered on of better Android phones for battery life. Your mileage may vary depending on how many apps you have downloading data in the background and how heavily you use your phone.

Lepennenere

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Use the phone that suits your needs, or the ecosystem that best suits your lifestyle. The wide spectrum of choice only benefits the consumer in the long run. Embrace mobile diversity.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I get better battery turning off Location and background tasks unless I need them. I would do the same sorts of things on Android... a Samsung can be just as big a battery drinker.

This is what I don't like about the direction WP is going. It used to work great out-of-the-box, but lately it seems that constant tweaks & adjustments are necessary for acceptable battery life & performance. That "feature" used to be exclusive to Android! And FWIW, it's not nearly as necessary on modern high end Androids.

I wonder if it's happening now to WP because as time goes on, more and more features are being added. As these new features come on board, battery & performance suffers until the bugs are worked out. Android has had time to get the bugs worked out; hence increased usability out-of-the-box. WP is just getting started down that road. A lot of threads on WPCentral anymore are about battery and/or performance issues, and users are resorting to tactics such as this to compensate. Awhile ago users switching from Android to WP would say how refreshing it was not to have to do that anymore. Well, we've come full circle.

Muhammad Sharjil

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello juaanmi920

My name is sharjil and I live in Pakistan, Karachi. First of all I would like to say that you have defined I should say explained very well, and the grammer is perfect because mine is not good.

I am using HTC 8x before HTC I was using Samsung galaxy note 1. When I was using Samsung on WiFi it was like I have to put it on charge after 15 mins.

Samsung's display result was outstanding but I switch to HTC just because of samsung's battery timing. Now I am enjoying windows phone and desperately waiting for 8.1

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Well I've just done the opposite, come from owning an s4, note 2 xperia z1, and finally an s4 mini, now enjoying the fantastic. N920. The battery life is comparable to the s4, a lot better than the s4 mini, not as good as the monster note 2, or the z1, the ui doesn't really compare in my mind the windows 8 system by far is smoother and so exiting swishy compared to the endless tinkering of the android base, but even jf you head of back to android world, you can always come back😊

Sent from a Lumia far far away

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Go for what suits you best, but I always feel WP is really about personalisation, not customisation....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)