07-13-2014 03:59 AM
303 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    What is ChromeOS? I know you're not talking about that glorified browser on the ChromeBook. If you can't download drivers for peripherals, it ain't a desktop OS. Windows, OSX and Linux - that's it. What happens to a ChromeBook if it's not connected to the internet? It becomes a paperweight, that's what.
    You mean the same way Windows does too? Chrome OS has offline apps as well. Let's face facts people very rarely use a laptop without a internet connection.

Also considering most people would be fine using a Chromebook It's more than just a glorified web browser.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-24-2014 09:09 PM
    You mean the same way Windows does too? Chrome OS has offline apps as well. Let's face facts people very rarely use a laptop without a internet connection.

Also considering most people would be fine using a Chromebook It's more than just a glorified web browser.

Somebody please close the thread
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    05-24-2014 09:11 PM
    Somebody please close the thread
    I concur, Android vs. WP threads never get anywhere. Might as well be Mustang vs. Camaro.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    05-24-2014 09:35 PM
    I concur, Android vs. WP threads never get anywhere. Might as well be Mustang vs. Camaro.
    Except they're not both awful
    anon5997296 likes this.
    05-24-2014 09:41 PM
    Maybe we should all stop drawing comparisons from the same pool. Let's wait a minute before we do more comparisons in the forums. Google I/O is coming up and possibly a new Android version, WP8.1 goes OTA with Cyan over the summer and iOS gets a new version soon too.

All these OS comparisons are very premature.

fatclue_98 and Karthik Naik like this.
    05-24-2014 10:07 PM
    Maybe we should all stop drawing comparisons from the same pool. Let's wait a minute before we do more comparisons in the forums. Google I/O is coming up and possibly a new Android version, WP8.1 goes OTA with Cyan over the summer and iOS gets a new version soon too.

All these OS comparisons are very premature.

Ah, sanity restored.
    A895 likes this.
    05-25-2014 11:29 AM
    An ecosystem is not relegated to apps. Hardware, lots of it, is what makes an ecosystem. Phones, tablets, desktop/laptops, gaming consoles and home entertainment systems - that's an ecosystem. Apple and Microsoft are it, as it's always been.
    What about ATM's, pos, health care devices, infotainment in vehicles, movie theaters, servers on campus, cell towers and their respective servers, etc?

The ecosystem is better defined as what devices interact with other devices, if we really want to see the whole picture.
    05-25-2014 07:06 PM
    What about ATM's, pos, health care devices, infotainment in vehicles, movie theaters, servers on campus, cell towers and their respective servers, etc?

The ecosystem is better defined as what devices interact with other devices, if we really want to see the whole picture.
    Yeah, and XP Embedded is what runs the majority of the items you just mentioned. To mention Android in the same breath as Apple or Microsoft is disingenuous at best.
    05-25-2014 07:21 PM
    Yeah, and XP Embedded is what runs the majority of the items you just mentioned. To mention Android in the same breath as Apple or Microsoft is disingenuous at best.
    No it is not. Google has an ecosystem just like Apple or Microsoft. Microsoft only makes tablets for now. Apple makes all their products (single line company) and Google let's Computer, and Mobile devices OEM's make everything. Either way all 3 make services which help create an ecosystem.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    05-25-2014 07:28 PM
    Hmm, I don't think i can shift the focus away from android long enough to gain focus for the point I was trying to make.
    05-25-2014 09:28 PM
    And, in the mobile world?
    Mobile world isn't a standalone battle anymore. The mobile world now depends heavily on cloud and cloud links to my PC and my PC links to my tablet and my tablet links to my gaming console - because I don't use my phone as the only mobile thing. I use my tablet and then I do things sometimes when I am at my desk and then I quickly want to do something else when I am gaming. It is only possible for me to enjoy this if they are all in the same ecosystem.

Sure, Google can have an ecosystem, when it launches Chrome browser that has all Google services replacing need for anything else, on my gaming console, my tablet, my phone and my PC. But sadly, Google Doc is not yet an answer to Microsoft Word.

So the answer I guess is - what ecosystem do you prefer to live in? Where is all your stuff? Even if I want to use Android 4.2.2 I can't because my Chromebook won't do what my Surface Pro 2 does and my Android won't do what my Windows Phone does with my Surface Pro 2.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    05-29-2014 04:58 AM
    As always the ecosystem that is the best is the one that works the best for you.

05-29-2014 05:49 AM
    As always the ecosystem that is the best is the one that works the best for you.

Exactly this. And while we definitely encourage a nice healthy discussion here at WPC your point is the ultimate point. We can discuss the pros and cons til the cows come home but at the end of the day it's what works for you.
    Karthik Naik and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-29-2014 07:59 AM
    Mobile world isn't a standalone battle anymore. The mobile world now depends heavily on cloud and cloud links to my PC and my PC links to my tablet and my tablet links to my gaming console - because I don't use my phone as the only mobile thing. I use my tablet and then I do things sometimes when I am at my desk and then I quickly want to do something else when I am gaming. It is only possible for me to enjoy this if they are all in the same ecosystem.

Sure, Google can have an ecosystem, when it launches Chrome browser that has all Google services replacing need for anything else, on my gaming console, my tablet, my phone and my PC. But sadly, Google Doc is not yet an answer to Microsoft Word.

So the answer I guess is - what ecosystem do you prefer to live in? Where is all your stuff? Even if I want to use Android 4.2.2 I can't because my Chromebook won't do what my Surface Pro 2 does and my Android won't do what my Windows Phone does with my Surface Pro 2.
    Neato. What specifically are you referring to doing?
    05-29-2014 12:14 PM
    Why is it that Android and iOS users all seem to want to cling to this "app gap" as an excuse to proclaim their OSs better than Windows Phone? I have all three phones. I have an iPhone 3G and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (both of which I use over WiFi) and the Nokia Lumia Icon. So believe me when I say that I KNOW what I'm talking about. On my iPhone I have about 4 pages of apps that I can honestly say I use. There are hundreds of thousands of apps in the Apple App Store and I use 4 pages worth. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I have two pages of widgets and 3 pages of apps, most of which are the same as what I have on the iPhone. The reason I only have so many pages of apps on both devices that I honestly use is because apps TAKE UP SPACE ON YOUR DEVICE! Who needs thousands of apps that are only going to eat up space on your phone leaving you little space for your music, pictures, videos, etc. For example. My bank doesn't have an app for Windows Phone, but they do have a mobile banking website. Windows Phone allows me to create a live tile for that mobile banking website and IE11 will save my username and password. So I tap the live tile, go directly to the mobile banking website and hit login (since my username and password are stored in IE11) and do the same thing that the mobile banking app on my iPhone and SG Nexus does. Only thing is my live tile doesn't take up space on my Lumia Icon as it is just a link live tile. This example goes for LOTS of other banks, credit card companies, etc. So who needs the apps taking up space on the device when mobile web sites do the same thing? I can create a "virtual app" by creating a live tile on my home screen that will take me to the mobile website instead of an app taking up space on my device. Given what I have on my iPhone and SG Nexus in the form of apps, there is literally NOTHING that I have on either device that I cannot do on my Lumia Icon in one way or another. It may not be in the form of apps, but then again, I have almost 3 times the available storage on my Icon than what I have on my SG Nexus or iPhone. Both came with 32GB of onboard storage, but my SG Nexus only has 4.6 GBs remaining, my Lumia Icon has 11.9 GBs remaining and I have the same music, videos and pictures on all 3 devices. So, in my opinion, I'd rather have the storage for my pictures, videos, and music than have it spent on apps that do the same thing as mobile web sites.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-04-2014 07:54 AM
    Why is it that Android and iOS users all seem to want to cling to this "app gap" as an excuse to proclaim their OSs better than Windows Phone? I have all three phones. I have an iPhone 3G and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (both of which I use over WiFi) and the Nokia Lumia Icon. So believe me when I say that I KNOW what I'm talking about. On my iPhone I have about 4 pages of apps that I can honestly say I use. There are hundreds of thousands of apps in the Apple App Store and I use 4 pages worth. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I have two pages of widgets and 3 pages of apps, most of which are the same as what I have on the iPhone. The reason I only have so many pages of apps on both devices that I honestly use is because apps TAKE UP SPACE ON YOUR DEVICE! Who needs thousands of apps that are only going to eat up space on your phone leaving you little space for your music, pictures, videos, etc. For example. My bank doesn't have an app for Windows Phone, but they do have a mobile banking website. Windows Phone allows me to create a live tile for that mobile banking website and IE11 will save my username and password. So I tap the live tile, got directly to the mobile banking website and hit login (since my username and password are stored in IE11) and do the same thing that the mobile banking app on my iPhone and SG Nexus does. Only thing is my live tile doesn't take up space on my Lumia Icon as it is just a link live tile. This example goes for LOTS of other banks, credit card companies, etc. So who needs the apps taking up space on the device when mobile web sites do the same thing? Given what I have on my iPhone and SG Nexus in the form of apps, there is literally NOTHING that I have on either device that I cannot do on my Lumia Icon. It may not be in the form of apps, but then again, I have 3 times the available storage on my Icon than what I have on my SG Nexus. Both came with 32GB of onboard storage, but my SG Nexus only has 7 GBs remaining, my Lumia Icon has 14 GBs remaining and I have tons of music, videos and pictures on my Lumia Icon. So, in my opinion, I'd rather have the storage for my pictures, videos, and music than have it spent on apps that do the same thing as mobile web sites.
    Sounds good for YOU. Using mobile sites instead of official apps is just a work around and something that average consumers are not going to go for. The App gap is real, but it's only there to be seen if you want to see it, and by your post you choose not to see it.
    06-04-2014 07:59 AM
    And I say to you that you are so focused on "apps" that you choose not to see that you don't need them! I speak from EXPERIENCE! There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from using my banking app on iPhone or Android or using the mobile banking website on my Icon! There is NOTHING the app does that the mobile website doesn't. Same goes for other mobile websites like insurance, credit cards, shopping, etc. Just because Apple and Android doesn't allow you to create icons for websites which makes it HARDER for you to use on your device, doesn't mean that Windows Phone doesn't handle it better. I CAN create a live tile to a website and it acts the same as an app, only I don't need 10MBs of device storage to store my app on my phone.livetiles.jpg
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-04-2014 08:07 AM
    No way. Just NO WAY. Unless they list very few, broadly available apps, that's impossible.
    Never mind availability, the QUALITY of the apps and the features they provide. Just this morning, I was reminded of this when reinstalling MyFitnessPal on my Lumia Icon. It's there, yes. But it sucks compared to the Android version (though interestingly enough bot have issues with keeping the user logged in, might be on the server end). And that's not the fault of the OS, it's just because the developer doesn't give a ****, since there's no market share.

That's what people like about Android, mostly (that, and the automation features that no other OS can touch, really, seem to be the big selling points). I don't think with Windows Phone 8.1 there is anything basic in the OS missing for most people. Certainly Android is at this point more about refining features, not about having something that really stands out.
    06-04-2014 08:08 AM
    Android. But I know WP will catch up.

Android is just great. But then again as a phone, Windows works well for me and I don't need the complex features of Android in my phone. Although I have an Android tablet and it works really good.
    06-04-2014 08:17 AM
    And I say to you that you are so focused on "apps" that you choose not to see that you don't need them! I speak from EXPERIENCE! There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from using my banking app on iPhone or Android or using the mobile banking website on my Icon! There is NOTHING the app does that the mobile website doesn't. Same goes for other mobile websites like insurance, credit cards, shopping, etc. Just because Apple and Android doesn't allow you to create icons for websites which makes it HARDER for you to use on your device, doesn't mean that Windows Phone doesn't handle it better. I CAN create a live tile to a website and it acts the same as an app, only I don't need 10MBs of device storage to store my app on my phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livetiles.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	68306
    You are still speaking for YOU. You are choosing not to see it, that's fine. But don't keep touting pinning web sites to the start screen as a solution for apps. There are a lot of apps that don't have mobile sites and that's not including new and popular games.
    06-04-2014 08:21 AM
    I'm an Android phone user, but I'm really attracted to Lumia's. I play around with them every time I go to a carrier store. In the end though, I have to remind myself what it would be like living without the native Google Apps that I love so much. I've been playing Real Racing 3 and Call of Duty: Strike Team all day, and I can't imagine giving those games up. It sucks.
    06-04-2014 07:27 PM
    I'm an Android phone user, but I'm really attracted to Lumia's. I play around with them every time I go to a carrier store. In the end though, I have to remind myself what it would be like living without the native Google Apps that I love so much. I've been playing Real Racing 3 and Call of Duty: Strike Team all day, and I can't imagine giving those games up. It sucks.
    I always play with WPs at the store myself, just Google Services keeps me off of them as well. Maybe next year.

06-04-2014 08:20 PM
    Hi all, just want to chip in my experience. I had Samsung Omnia 7 before. When it broke, I bought myself a 920. It broke about 3 months ago and I knew the repair is going to take time (they fixed it but broke another parts). All and all it took 6 weeks for the phone to get returned and I decided to try Nexus 5, the purest form of Android which doesn't lag apparently. It was a great phone. The no lag part was true. I would even say it felt smoother than WP. Animation is smooth, and OS seemed to react instantly everytime I did something. There were some quirks such as contact suddenly missing and things like that. But overall it was a great phone. My 920 came back and I cannot use it yet as whatsapp wasn't in the marketplace at that time. I ended up using Nexus 5 for 2.5 months before moving back to 920.

I realized then I will not use the Nexus 5 and back to 920 even though it felt smoother and has more apps. The thing about android is it felt disconnected. The menus are everywhere. Each app isn't uniformly designed on the same design language. At some point it frustrated me and I was confused about where the buttons are and have to actually memorize and get used to of each app. On WP it felt natural, and easier to use. I actually be able to use the phone straight away without thinking. I think partly is also because android can become 'too much'. More options isn't always better. I never tried iphone so I cannot compare it with WP. Time wise WP seemed to have more waiting time everytime do any action, but it felt better somehow, but that's just me.

I actually do missed all the smoothness and more apps etc but it wasn't enough for me to move to Android. I am just hoping newer hardware and WP8.1 (or 8.2) in this case would address this. At the end I just sold the Nexus 5 today and will not look back to Android for a while I think.
    b23h likes this.
    06-04-2014 10:28 PM
    Contemplating getting a Moto x. Really would like to have two great phones. Love windows phone and will not leave the platform, but there are services I want to experience that aren't available
    A895 and b23h like this.
    06-04-2014 11:16 PM
    I always play with WPs at the store myself, just Google Services keeps me off of them as well. Maybe next year.

playing with a windows phone in a store and owning one as a daily device is a major difference
    as for ms services, id rather use them than google services or id even use apple services
    06-05-2014 03:41 AM
303 ... 89101112 ...