Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say that WP stutters, but I do see ...resuming way too much. WP has a lot of wasted time with animation and/or ...resuming. I do like how it's consistent though. It's not slow, and not fast. It's what I call mediocre, but acceptable.

Yes i think everyone complaining of slow resume screen have to try lumia 1520 or lumia 930. Which require 2 gb ram.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
There's one VERY IMPORTANT feature that makes WP8.1 better than Android 4.4.2 KitKat:

- On WP8.1 you can securely save apps to microSD cards. Which means, if you have a low end phone, you can still usefully expand your storage. As of 4.4.2, Google screwed up Android and removed that ability from it. Which means Android phones running 4.4.2 KitKat can NOT save apps to the microSD card, which means low end phones are very very limited and even flagships like Sony's Xperia Z line, become suddenly less good. Because they released all the Xperia phones with 16GB which was OK since you had the microSD card slot. Except as of 4.4.2 that card slot became basically useless to actually expand the memory of the phone.

Oh is it true cant we get any workaround.fortunately am on jelly bean nd by rooting my phone i can use link 2 sd.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You guys got me wrong....i didn't meant the fb app is ****...... If this thread is about comparison between andro and windi... That's why I compared these two popular apps..... And believe me folks android has won it....

Ya fb on.android is better compared to.wp.but it is laggy on low end android.nd fb app notifies you.immediately notification nd more importantly it loads fast compared to lumia 820 running wp 8.1 in comparison to my Xperia c

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Its laughable to even think this is even closer to android.
I have many problems with WP but i can really ignore all of them if OTHER storageeproblem is resolved in WP8.1
Only 7days in after a hard reset and 1.9GB in Other which lefts me with 0.00Kb of space.
Yup, that's rite, for 2 days i have a fluctuating internal memory of 0kb n 2mb.
Means page loads a Lil slow, almost every app refuses to load(wpcentral cant load news), no streaming AT ALL.., cant even check my mail.
Just fix this goddamn issue and i will turn status back to "WP is ok with Lil problems".

Yes other storage will increase if u stream music or browse a lot.other storage is cache of all your web nd videos.it will be a headache if not solved by wp 8.1.hope Microsoft solve it completely.otherwise using android is the only solution.but if u are in low end android root it nd use ram expander app.you will experience less lags,stutter nd freeze.

skiahh

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Most of the things I miss will be updated in 8.1. Things like swype keyboard, independent notification and other sound volumes, notification center and quick action icons.

The main thing I miss isn't necessarily OS related as much as hardware. All of my Android phones had a notification light to tell me when something came in. And - and this is OS related - the ability to change the color of the LED on a per app basis. That is, I could have it blink green for Gmail, blue for a missed call, purple for a missed text, white for a calendar appt., yellow for my pop emails etc etc. And it would cycle between the colors, too, with multiple notifications waiting for attention. That's the main thing I miss from my Android device.

As for apps, most of the things I want or need are already present in the windows store. Sure, some aren't up to the Android quality yet, but they're there.

And I have Office on my WP.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
All I want to say is, one should not judge another OS without actually trying it for a few weeks. I've tried all 3 and I've concluded that FEATURE wise, Android>WP>iOS

I wish to see WP users being able to set default apps in the near future and allow us to sort the app list by most used.

Ummm...isn't that what the start screen is for. All your most used apps should be there right? Or am I missing something. Default apps??

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The main thing I miss isn't necessarily OS related as much as hardware. All of my Android phones had a notification light to tell me when something came in. And - and this is OS related - the ability to change the color of the LED on a per app basis. That is, I could have it blink green for Gmail, blue for a missed call, purple for a missed text, white for a calendar appt., yellow for my pop emails etc etc. And it would cycle between the colors, too, with multiple notifications waiting for attention. That's the main thing I miss from my Android device.

I somehow think glance screen is better just wave your hand over and and check but yea compared to light thing you wouldn't have to wave hand over to see any notification. Might take time getting used to it. I think it saves battery Not much but some I guess. :)
Can be wrong but that's just what I think. :)

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I believe the store still is the weakest link, there are almost no popular games in the Windows store. I have the Surface 2, I know the situation is a little better on WP, but it's almost the same. People want games, most people complaining that apps are missing, are talking about games.
List of games that WP/Windows store would benefit from, that are present in iOS or Android:
Candy crush, Kingdom crush 1&2, plants vs. Zombies 1&2, LBA(little big adventure, old classic PC game), Bastion, Ocean Horn and lots, lots of more.

Shubhendu Singh

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes other storage will increase if u stream music or browse a lot.other storage is cache of all your web nd videos.it will be a headache if not solved by wp 8.1.hope Microsoft solve it completely.otherwise using android is the only solution.but if u are in low end android root it nd use ram expander app.you will experience less lags,stutter nd freeze.

It has gone to the point of frustration that i cant even use this "smart"phone.
What can i do with the phone if it refuses to open even the settings/wifi ?
I once had to sit for hours before i can ON my wifi. Absolutely worthless. ABSOLUTELY....

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its fair to generalize since you could be talking about a low end device which is prevalent in both WP and Android. This does not happen with Apple coz its always high-end and you pay premium.

So performance it really subject to how much do you want to spend:

Low cost = low end = not so fast performance
High cost = high end = fast performance

So don't cry/complain about something because you really get what you pay for.

Look, WP stutters. I don't get this smooth reputation that it has garnered. And it lags terribly. In Android things open almost immediately but not so with my WP8.1 device.....

........resuming.

I will be running back to Android in the summer and I wont be looking back.

Shubhendu Singh

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its fair to generalize since you could be talking about a low end device which is prevalent in both WP and Android. This does not happen with Apple coz its always high-end and you pay premium.

So performance it really subject to how much do you want to spend:

Low cost = low end = not so fast performance
High cost = high end = fast performance

So don't cry/complain about something because you really get what you pay for.

I use Lumia620 which is a low end lumia device and it works not great but ok. Multitasking is a joke in WP's anyway.
But Also i have used a low end Android device (Xolo Q700S) which you havnt even heard i am sure which costs 140$ and does what any high end Android is supposed to work.
Run every demanding game you can think of. Ofcoz corners are cut in screen and audio but if a less than 150$ Android device is working flawlessly, my 235$ device should work better than that.
And don't advice me to run back to android bcoz i would if i could. I am well ...a student and poor ..and cant change mobiles just like that.
Saving my money for a high end anyway..i am through with these.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I use Lumia620 which is a low end lumia device and it works not great but ok. Multitasking is a joke in WP's anyway.
But Also i have used a low end Android device (Xolo Q700S) which you havnt even heard i am sure which costs 140$ and does what any high end Android is supposed to work.
Run every demanding game you can think of. Ofcoz corners are cut in screen and audio but if a less than 150$ Android device is working flawlessly, my 235$ device should work better than that.
And don't advice me to run back to android bcoz i would if i could. I am well ...a student and poor ..and cant change mobiles just like that.
Saving my money for a high end anyway..i am through with these.
I use a Lumia 620 too, with WP 8.1 and I see the resuming screen far less than I used to in WP 8.0, I would advise a hard reset if you have any problems. Even asphalt 8 works more smoothly 8.1 as compared to 8.0.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I use a Lumia 620 too, with WP 8.1 and I see the resuming screen far less than I used to in WP 8.0, I would advise a hard reset if you have any problems.

But what if I wanted to move away from Android to avoid things like this? Android was "famous" for the need of flashing, resetting, rebooting, babysitting, tweaking, etc. to make it work properly. I now see more of that on WP than I have with any Android I've ever had. And to be fair to Android, it's no longer necessary for the most part. They've switched places! :winktongue:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
But what if I wanted to move away from Android to avoid things like this? Android was "famous" for the need of flashing, resetting, rebooting, babysitting, tweaking, etc. to make it work properly. I now see more of that on WP than I have with any Android I've ever had. And to be fair to Android, it's no longer necessary for the most part. They've switched places! :winktongue:

Doing a hard reset is no big deal,and nothing,I'll repeat Nothing like rooting or flashing custom roms. It's just a necessary thing to do when using the Developers Preview at times because of the lack of firmware. It's also needed on a mobile phone to reset everything because things can and do go wrong with the software and firmware on various phones on all platforms.........in other words crap happens because it is a common occurrence wither it is Android,IOS,Microsoft.

Mac

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ya, the "Other Storage" is getting out of hand...i only did a few days of streaming music for an hour here and there, im already at 800MB. MS really need to allow a Other Storage flush option, i dont want to be hard resetting so frequently. Thankfully ive got a 1020 with 26+GB of storage not in use but still..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Exactly. With WP7.8 I never had to do anything of this. It "just worked".

Of course, it also lacked a whole lot of functions. With more functionality comes more complexity, and more storage, battery and data use. C'est la vie.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
What I find ironic is how the simple fact that this is still the developers preview and we're comparing it to a fully functioning OS speaks volumes about 8.1 which btw just released an update to the preview fixing the battery issues and other bugs. So if you had to choose a parachute, would you use a prototype or a approved one?
WP users have been spoiled by the fact that the everyday consumer can use 8.1. If I was MS I would take it away and restrict it only to developers. Then maybe people would appreciate it. I think 8.1 is coming along very well. The simple fact that its being compared to fully functioning OS's that have been around for a while is evidence enough of what 8.1 is.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
What I find ironic is how the simple fact that this is still the developers preview and we're comparing it to a fully functioning OS speaks volumes about 8.1 which btw just released an update to the preview fixing the battery issues and other bugs. So if you had to choose a parachute, would you use a prototype or a approved one?
WP users have been spoiled by the fact that the everyday consumer can use 8.1. If I was MS I would take it away and restrict it only to developers. Then maybe people would appreciate it. I think 8.1 is coming along very well. The simple fact that its being compared to fully functioning OS's that have been around for a while is evidence enough of what 8.1 is.

It will be released on brand new phones sold in stores the day after tomorrow. Will you stop hanging on to "it's just a preview" then?

amagner

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For me Pocketcasts on Android doesn't need to stay in foreground in order for sleep timer to work. I realize that is one of many restrictions MS put on WP8 but I shouldn't have to remember to go back to the podcast app in order for it to auto-stop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05