Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
alright then dont comment on windows phone forums go to androidcentral if you dont have anything productive to speak and calling other misinformed is like swinging the axe on your own foot, you are misinformed not me
i dunno man something tells me you prefer the laggy malware life with bank info and other sensitive info reaching you through whatsapp
the thing is if a preinstalled app works flawless you dont need to rely on third party , ios and wp are perfect examples of that
android also makes poor copies of wp and ios features these days
proof- look how widgets behave like tiles nowadays

His post is quite descriptive and shows a functionality that WP8 doesn't have. I was unaware of this because it doesn't concern me. But if people don't speak up, change will never come. It's ok to be an ardent aficionado, but if there aren't dissenting points of view these boards will be nothing but a mutual admiration society. In other words, we'll turn into iMore.

Tulsi Ravi

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Using Android - Samsung Note 2and Windows 8 - Lumia 1320
Few differences to note and better to have or improve in windows 8.1 or later:

1. File Manager
2. Easy Micro SD Slot Access
3. Nokia and MS Software needs better integration with Box, Dropbox and One Drive
4. Good Books and EPUB Reader Apps
5. Move applications to SD Card
6. Looks buggy music and video application have impact on eMMC due to indexing etc
7. App Store way behind
8. Multiple user login - Kids/ Guest Login for secure and privacy
9. HTML5 doesn't work properly in IE
10. IE should provide better management of tabs and closing tabs
11. Live streaming playback support on IE.
12 On Windows 8 , Not able to have proper Facebook, Maps, Twitter & Whatsapp applications
13. Contacts exports in file format and sharing & syncing contacts to multiple account
14. Call Manager to know out/in call durations

Thanks,
Hope to have better tomorrow with windows phone.............

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have not personally been forced to use Google+ with YouTube, or any service, to date.

I'm not aware of any restriction to use ANY Google services. I've owned many Androids where I've installed Cyanogenmod and left out gapps. You can always sideload an apk. I know there are some apps that require Play services but they're not essential apps for me and there's always a 3rd party alternative. I just don't like the Android UI even though JB is their best effort so far.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not aware of any restriction to use ANY Google services. I've owned many Androids where I've installed Cyanogenmod and left out gapps. You can always sideload an apk. I know there are some apps that require Play services but they're not essential apps for me and there's always a 3rd party alternative. I just don't like the Android UI even though JB is their best effort so far.

Don't you mean KitKat?

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion Android 4.4.2. is a true stepping stone for Android to be just as fast as WP or iOS. I recently read the Moto E review and it was praised for the fact it is quite fast even though it costs $139. I think that is huge.

For as far speed they are the same, ecosystem I give the slight edge to Android because of the larger app store. For feature set, Android still wins.

My biggest problem with 8.1 is that it brings WP up to parity to sure, but it foes not have any distinguishing features besides looks. I know looks are important but there has to be more IMO.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion Android 4.4.2. is a true stepping stone for Android to be just as fast as WP or iOS. I recently read the Moto E review and it was praised for the fact it is quite fast even though it costs $139. I think that is huge.

For as far speed they are the same, ecosystem I give the slight edge to Android because of the larger app store. For feature set, Android still wins.

My biggest problem with 8.1 is that it brings WP up to parity to sure, but it foes not have any distinguishing features besides looks. I know looks are important but there has to be more IMO.

If it can hold its smoothness even once apps and stuff are installed and running then that's a great stepping stone for Android and for that Android will deserve credit.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If it can hold its smoothness even once apps and stuff are installed and running then that's a great stepping stone for Android and for that Android will deserve credit.

It can hold it's smoothness. The verge has a nice review on the Moto E.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
It can hold it's smoothness. The verge has a nice review on the Moto E.

From personal experience instead of a web review, yes it's smooth. Haven't seen a lag since 4.2.x if memory serves. 4.4.x is blazing fast, and smooth, and the hardware I'm using is three years old.

If the device is a mainstream (high sales) device support in the form of updates is still good so far. I would boot recommend a non both sales device though for above reasons.

Yesterday I saw a rt tablet that stuttered quite a bit. The user said it was because WiFi had a bad bug, and offline usage was buttery smooth. She had a wp device too, so it was very unusual to see both out on a desktop in the wild.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Jelly bean was good. 4.3 was the best.

No,not to myself or many others.

The problem with 4.3 and above is most newer devices have the e-fuse and Knox,and locked boot loaders, and to get 4.3 and above to the majority of folks with most year old devices without locking down the phone requires some real manipulation.

All 4.3 roms I used had issues with them. Supposedly 4.4 is better than the rest but the roll out to the majority will be long coming if at all to many people who don't root. I do hope Microsoft has learned their lesson from doing this to their customers and continues on it's current policy of updates for all phones. Right now I see this is a advantage over any Androids.

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
No,not to myself or many others.

The problem with 4.3 and above is most newer devices have the e-fuse and Knox,and locked boot loaders, and to get 4.3 and above to the majority of folks with most year old devices without locking down the phone requires some real manipulation.

All 4.3 roms I used had issues with them. Supposedly 4.4 is better than the rest but the roll out to the majority will be long coming if at all to many people who don't root. I do hope Microsoft has learned their lesson from doing this to their customers and continues on it's current policy of updates for all phones. Right now I see this is a advantage over any Androids.

Mac

No one care about rooting, we been through this already. Only geeks care about a locked bootloader. FYI: a lot of phones on contract run KitKat now. Hell, I got a OTA update to KitKat on my RAZR M last week.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No one care about rooting, we been through this already. Only geeks care about a locked bootloader. FYI: a lot of phones on contract run KitKat now. Hell, I got a OTA update to KitKat on my RAZR M last week.

Most people don't even care about updates. A few months ago I was working with a customer, and I noticed he had a WP. It was the first time I had ever seen one in the wild. He showed it to me after I said something about it. I noticed it had an OTA update waiting. He probably didn't know what it even meant. I wouldn't be surprised if the update is still waiting!

I think updates are only important to people like us who watch that kind of stuff. One should not buy a device on what it will become, but on what it is.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
about moto E and lumia 630 comparisons , both are solid phones no doubt but if you go to see-
for the same price range you get great sturdy phones but a few of the moto e's cons are the 630s pros and vice versa so its unfair to say one is better than the other
for example-
moto e- dual core,1gb ram
lumia 630- quad core,512mb ram
moto e-more apps,lumia 630- better camera(not on paper, real world comparison)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't even care about updates. A few months ago I was working with a customer, and I noticed he had a WP. It was the first time I had ever seen one in the wild. He showed it to me after I said something about it. I noticed it had an OTA update waiting. He probably didn't know what it even meant. I wouldn't be surprised if the update is still waiting!

I think updates are only important to people like us who watch that kind of stuff. One should not buy a device on what it will become, but on what it is.

You said it perfectly. We in the tech community oft forget the average consumer does not care about updates.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
about moto E and lumia 630 comparisons , both are solid phones no doubt but if you go to see-
for the same price range you get great sturdy phones but a few of the moto e's cons are the 630s pros and vice versa so its unfair to say one is better than the other
for example-
moto e- dual core,1gb ram
lumia 630- quad core,512mb ram
moto e-more apps,lumia 630- better camera(not on paper, real world comparison)

A processor means nothing if the RAM is low. You can have a quad core on the 630, but it won't run all apps and games from the Windows Store because of that 512MB of RAM. The Moto E will run majority of apps and games from the Play Store by comparison. Also the camera bit you can't judge yet as there is not a proper review yet for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs