Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
An ecosystem is not relegated to apps. Hardware, lots of it, is what makes an ecosystem. Phones, tablets, desktop/laptops, gaming consoles and home entertainment systems - that's an ecosystem. Apple and Microsoft are it, as it's always been.

And, in the mobile world?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you guys want to consider phones and tablets only as an ecosystem, I guess that's fine. In my book, desktop integration is more important than just mobility. We can agree to disagree but Apple & Microsoft are the only companies that can make this claim. Since BlackBerry and even webOS still have phones and tablets you have to include them. LG even has a webOS TV now so I guess that makes them more viable, for a dead OS anyway.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If you guys want to consider phones and tablets only as an ecosystem, I guess that's fine. In my book, desktop integration is more important than just mobility. We can agree to disagree but Apple & Microsoft are the only companies that can make this claim. Since BlackBerry and even webOS still have phones and tablets you have to include them. LG even has a webOS TV now so I guess that makes them more viable, for a dead OS anyway.

Google has ChromeOS or did you forget? Google has an ecosystem just as viable as Apple or Microsoft.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Google has ChromeOS or did you forget? Google has an ecosystem just as viable as Apple or Microsoft.

What is ChromeOS? I know you're not talking about that glorified browser on the ChromeBook. If you can't download drivers for peripherals, it ain't a desktop OS. Windows, OSX and Linux - that's it. What happens to a ChromeBook if it's not connected to the internet? It becomes a paperweight, that's what.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What is ChromeOS? I know you're not talking about that glorified browser on the ChromeBook. If you can't download drivers for peripherals, it ain't a desktop OS. Windows, OSX and Linux - that's it. What happens to a ChromeBook if it's not connected to the internet? It becomes a paperweight, that's what.
Heey remember its wp8.1 vs Droid 4.4.2

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

You mean the same way Windows does too? Chrome OS has offline apps as well. Let's face facts people very rarely use a laptop without a internet connection.

Also considering most people would be fine using a Chromebook It's more than just a glorified web browser.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You mean the same way Windows does too? Chrome OS has offline apps as well. Let's face facts people very rarely use a laptop without a internet connection.

Also considering most people would be fine using a Chromebook It's more than just a glorified web browser.

Somebody please close the thread

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe we should all stop drawing comparisons from the same pool. Let's wait a minute before we do more comparisons in the forums. Google I/O is coming up and possibly a new Android version, WP8.1 goes OTA with Cyan over the summer and iOS gets a new version soon too.

All these OS comparisons are very premature.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we should all stop drawing comparisons from the same pool. Let's wait a minute before we do more comparisons in the forums. Google I/O is coming up and possibly a new Android version, WP8.1 goes OTA with Cyan over the summer and iOS gets a new version soon too.

All these OS comparisons are very premature.

Ah, sanity restored.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
An ecosystem is not relegated to apps. Hardware, lots of it, is what makes an ecosystem. Phones, tablets, desktop/laptops, gaming consoles and home entertainment systems - that's an ecosystem. Apple and Microsoft are it, as it's always been.

What about ATM's, pos, health care devices, infotainment in vehicles, movie theaters, servers on campus, cell towers and their respective servers, etc?

The ecosystem is better defined as what devices interact with other devices, if we really want to see the whole picture.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What about ATM's, pos, health care devices, infotainment in vehicles, movie theaters, servers on campus, cell towers and their respective servers, etc?

The ecosystem is better defined as what devices interact with other devices, if we really want to see the whole picture.

Yeah, and XP Embedded is what runs the majority of the items you just mentioned. To mention Android in the same breath as Apple or Microsoft is disingenuous at best.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, and XP Embedded is what runs the majority of the items you just mentioned. To mention Android in the same breath as Apple or Microsoft is disingenuous at best.

No it is not. Google has an ecosystem just like Apple or Microsoft. Microsoft only makes tablets for now. Apple makes all their products (single line company) and Google let's Computer, and Mobile devices OEM's make everything. Either way all 3 make services which help create an ecosystem.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, I don't think i can shift the focus away from android long enough to gain focus for the point I was trying to make.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
And, in the mobile world?

Mobile world isn't a standalone battle anymore. The mobile world now depends heavily on cloud and cloud links to my PC and my PC links to my tablet and my tablet links to my gaming console - because I don't use my phone as the only mobile thing. I use my tablet and then I do things sometimes when I am at my desk and then I quickly want to do something else when I am gaming. It is only possible for me to enjoy this if they are all in the same ecosystem.

Sure, Google can have an ecosystem, when it launches Chrome browser that has all Google services replacing need for anything else, on my gaming console, my tablet, my phone and my PC. But sadly, Google Doc is not yet an answer to Microsoft Word.

So the answer I guess is - what ecosystem do you prefer to live in? Where is all your stuff? Even if I want to use Android 4.2.2 I can't because my Chromebook won't do what my Surface Pro 2 does and my Android won't do what my Windows Phone does with my Surface Pro 2.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As always the ecosystem that is the best is the one that works the best for you.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As always the ecosystem that is the best is the one that works the best for you.

Exactly this. And while we definitely encourage a nice healthy discussion here at WPC your point is the ultimate point. We can discuss the pros and cons til the cows come home but at the end of the day it's what works for you.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Mobile world isn't a standalone battle anymore. The mobile world now depends heavily on cloud and cloud links to my PC and my PC links to my tablet and my tablet links to my gaming console - because I don't use my phone as the only mobile thing. I use my tablet and then I do things sometimes when I am at my desk and then I quickly want to do something else when I am gaming. It is only possible for me to enjoy this if they are all in the same ecosystem.

Sure, Google can have an ecosystem, when it launches Chrome browser that has all Google services replacing need for anything else, on my gaming console, my tablet, my phone and my PC. But sadly, Google Doc is not yet an answer to Microsoft Word.

So the answer I guess is - what ecosystem do you prefer to live in? Where is all your stuff? Even if I want to use Android 4.2.2 I can't because my Chromebook won't do what my Surface Pro 2 does and my Android won't do what my Windows Phone does with my Surface Pro 2.

Neato. What specifically are you referring to doing?

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that Android and iOS users all seem to want to cling to this "app gap" as an excuse to proclaim their OSs better than Windows Phone? I have all three phones. I have an iPhone 3G and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (both of which I use over WiFi) and the Nokia Lumia Icon. So believe me when I say that I KNOW what I'm talking about. On my iPhone I have about 4 pages of apps that I can honestly say I use. There are hundreds of thousands of apps in the Apple App Store and I use 4 pages worth. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I have two pages of widgets and 3 pages of apps, most of which are the same as what I have on the iPhone. The reason I only have so many pages of apps on both devices that I honestly use is because apps TAKE UP SPACE ON YOUR DEVICE! Who needs thousands of apps that are only going to eat up space on your phone leaving you little space for your music, pictures, videos, etc. For example. My bank doesn't have an app for Windows Phone, but they do have a mobile banking website. Windows Phone allows me to create a live tile for that mobile banking website and IE11 will save my username and password. So I tap the live tile, go directly to the mobile banking website and hit login (since my username and password are stored in IE11) and do the same thing that the mobile banking app on my iPhone and SG Nexus does. Only thing is my live tile doesn't take up space on my Lumia Icon as it is just a link live tile. This example goes for LOTS of other banks, credit card companies, etc. So who needs the apps taking up space on the device when mobile web sites do the same thing? I can create a "virtual app" by creating a live tile on my home screen that will take me to the mobile website instead of an app taking up space on my device. Given what I have on my iPhone and SG Nexus in the form of apps, there is literally NOTHING that I have on either device that I cannot do on my Lumia Icon in one way or another. It may not be in the form of apps, but then again, I have almost 3 times the available storage on my Icon than what I have on my SG Nexus or iPhone. Both came with 32GB of onboard storage, but my SG Nexus only has 4.6 GBs remaining, my Lumia Icon has 11.9 GBs remaining and I have the same music, videos and pictures on all 3 devices. So, in my opinion, I'd rather have the storage for my pictures, videos, and music than have it spent on apps that do the same thing as mobile web sites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon