Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that Android and iOS users all seem to want to cling to this "app gap" as an excuse to proclaim their OSs better than Windows Phone? I have all three phones. I have an iPhone 3G and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (both of which I use over WiFi) and the Nokia Lumia Icon. So believe me when I say that I KNOW what I'm talking about. On my iPhone I have about 4 pages of apps that I can honestly say I use. There are hundreds of thousands of apps in the Apple App Store and I use 4 pages worth. On my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I have two pages of widgets and 3 pages of apps, most of which are the same as what I have on the iPhone. The reason I only have so many pages of apps on both devices that I honestly use is because apps TAKE UP SPACE ON YOUR DEVICE! Who needs thousands of apps that are only going to eat up space on your phone leaving you little space for your music, pictures, videos, etc. For example. My bank doesn't have an app for Windows Phone, but they do have a mobile banking website. Windows Phone allows me to create a live tile for that mobile banking website and IE11 will save my username and password. So I tap the live tile, got directly to the mobile banking website and hit login (since my username and password are stored in IE11) and do the same thing that the mobile banking app on my iPhone and SG Nexus does. Only thing is my live tile doesn't take up space on my Lumia Icon as it is just a link live tile. This example goes for LOTS of other banks, credit card companies, etc. So who needs the apps taking up space on the device when mobile web sites do the same thing? Given what I have on my iPhone and SG Nexus in the form of apps, there is literally NOTHING that I have on either device that I cannot do on my Lumia Icon. It may not be in the form of apps, but then again, I have 3 times the available storage on my Icon than what I have on my SG Nexus. Both came with 32GB of onboard storage, but my SG Nexus only has 7 GBs remaining, my Lumia Icon has 14 GBs remaining and I have tons of music, videos and pictures on my Lumia Icon. So, in my opinion, I'd rather have the storage for my pictures, videos, and music than have it spent on apps that do the same thing as mobile web sites.

Sounds good for YOU. Using mobile sites instead of official apps is just a work around and something that average consumers are not going to go for. The App gap is real, but it's only there to be seen if you want to see it, and by your post you choose not to see it.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
And I say to you that you are so focused on "apps" that you choose not to see that you don't need them! I speak from EXPERIENCE! There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from using my banking app on iPhone or Android or using the mobile banking website on my Icon! There is NOTHING the app does that the mobile website doesn't. Same goes for other mobile websites like insurance, credit cards, shopping, etc. Just because Apple and Android doesn't allow you to create icons for websites which makes it HARDER for you to use on your device, doesn't mean that Windows Phone doesn't handle it better. I CAN create a live tile to a website and it acts the same as an app, only I don't need 10MBs of device storage to store my app on my phone.livetiles.jpg

aiorialive

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
No way. Just NO WAY. Unless they list very few, broadly available apps, that's impossible.
Never mind availability, the QUALITY of the apps and the features they provide. Just this morning, I was reminded of this when reinstalling MyFitnessPal on my Lumia Icon. It's there, yes. But it sucks compared to the Android version (though interestingly enough bot have issues with keeping the user logged in, might be on the server end). And that's not the fault of the OS, it's just because the developer doesn't give a ****, since there's no market share.

That's what people like about Android, mostly (that, and the automation features that no other OS can touch, really, seem to be the big selling points). I don't think with Windows Phone 8.1 there is anything basic in the OS missing for most people. Certainly Android is at this point more about refining features, not about having something that really stands out.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Android. But I know WP will catch up.

Android is just great. But then again as a phone, Windows works well for me and I don't need the complex features of Android in my phone. Although I have an Android tablet and it works really good.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And I say to you that you are so focused on "apps" that you choose not to see that you don't need them! I speak from EXPERIENCE! There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE from using my banking app on iPhone or Android or using the mobile banking website on my Icon! There is NOTHING the app does that the mobile website doesn't. Same goes for other mobile websites like insurance, credit cards, shopping, etc. Just because Apple and Android doesn't allow you to create icons for websites which makes it HARDER for you to use on your device, doesn't mean that Windows Phone doesn't handle it better. I CAN create a live tile to a website and it acts the same as an app, only I don't need 10MBs of device storage to store my app on my phone.View attachment 68306

You are still speaking for YOU. You are choosing not to see it, that's fine. But don't keep touting pinning web sites to the start screen as a solution for apps. There are a lot of apps that don't have mobile sites and that's not including new and popular games.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android phone user, but I'm really attracted to Lumia's. I play around with them every time I go to a carrier store. In the end though, I have to remind myself what it would be like living without the native Google Apps that I love so much. I've been playing Real Racing 3 and Call of Duty: Strike Team all day, and I can't imagine giving those games up. It sucks.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android phone user, but I'm really attracted to Lumia's. I play around with them every time I go to a carrier store. In the end though, I have to remind myself what it would be like living without the native Google Apps that I love so much. I've been playing Real Racing 3 and Call of Duty: Strike Team all day, and I can't imagine giving those games up. It sucks.

I always play with WPs at the store myself, just Google Services keeps me off of them as well. Maybe next year.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Iie Kwan

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, just want to chip in my experience. I had Samsung Omnia 7 before. When it broke, I bought myself a 920. It broke about 3 months ago and I knew the repair is going to take time (they fixed it but broke another parts). All and all it took 6 weeks for the phone to get returned and I decided to try Nexus 5, the purest form of Android which doesn't lag apparently. It was a great phone. The no lag part was true. I would even say it felt smoother than WP. Animation is smooth, and OS seemed to react instantly everytime I did something. There were some quirks such as contact suddenly missing and things like that. But overall it was a great phone. My 920 came back and I cannot use it yet as whatsapp wasn't in the marketplace at that time. I ended up using Nexus 5 for 2.5 months before moving back to 920.

I realized then I will not use the Nexus 5 and back to 920 even though it felt smoother and has more apps. The thing about android is it felt disconnected. The menus are everywhere. Each app isn't uniformly designed on the same design language. At some point it frustrated me and I was confused about where the buttons are and have to actually memorize and get used to of each app. On WP it felt natural, and easier to use. I actually be able to use the phone straight away without thinking. I think partly is also because android can become 'too much'. More options isn't always better. I never tried iphone so I cannot compare it with WP. Time wise WP seemed to have more waiting time everytime do any action, but it felt better somehow, but that's just me.

I actually do missed all the smoothness and more apps etc but it wasn't enough for me to move to Android. I am just hoping newer hardware and WP8.1 (or 8.2) in this case would address this. At the end I just sold the Nexus 5 today and will not look back to Android for a while I think.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Contemplating getting a Moto x. Really would like to have two great phones. Love windows phone and will not leave the platform, but there are services I want to experience that aren't available

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I always play with WPs at the store myself, just Google Services keeps me off of them as well. Maybe next year.

playing with a windows phone in a store and owning one as a daily device is a major difference
as for ms services, id rather use them than google services or id even use apple services

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I love Windows Phone. The Lumia line is sleek and the OS is good. The reason I'm using Android is the lack of Medical apps on WP. Until there are medical apps I will simply look from afar.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
playing with a windows phone in a store and owning one as a daily device is a major difference

Yeah the main difference being you spend money.

as for ms services, id rather use them than google services or id even use apple services

I rather use Google Services daily. Way more easier and quicker.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the main difference being you spend money.

I rather use Google Services daily. Way more easier and quicker.

get a windows phone then talk im sure you will change the statements you just made(for real,no jokes) :) ;)
so far you have used alot of google stuff but believe me MS services are just better (except for search i guess) and maybe a few equalitites but overall MS is better (for me atleast)

see , using a phone for 2 mins and using it everyday for a year or so is a major difference,you wont understand these things before you try it out
i used to be a huuge android fan like you and used to call WP complicated etc but after i got one as a gift when my old phone died, i truly began to love WP , sure i might miss a few games etc but i dont care coz i have ipads and tablets and laptops for that
what matters is WP does everything a phone should and perfectly-good battery life,camera,quality malware free app store etc etc

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
get a windows phone then talk im sure you will change the statements you just made(for real,no jokes) :) ;)
so far you have used alot of google stuff but believe me MS services are just better (except for search i guess) and maybe a few equalitites but overall MS is better (for me atleast)

see , using a phone for 2 mins and using it everyday for a year or so is a major difference,you wont understand these things before you try it out
i used to be a huuge android fan like you and used to call WP complicated etc but after i got one as a gift when my old phone died, i truly began to love WP , sure i might miss a few games etc but i dont care coz i have ipads and tablets and laptops for that
what matters is WP does everything a phone should and perfectly-good battery life,camera,quality malware free app store etc etc

Anyone loves a device if they have to use it for an extended period. But as far as Microsoft services go, they are good but not as quick and easy as Googles. I know because I use both. I badly prefer Google for the day to day stuff. But by now. Windows Phone isn't compelling enough. I would lose Google Services, my favorite games and apps and the features of Android. I weighed the pros and cons a while ago and Android is better for me.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone loves a device if they have to use it for an extended period. But as far as Microsoft services go, they are good but not as quick and easy as Googles. I know because I use both. I badly prefer Google for the day to day stuff. But by now. Windows Phone isn't compelling enough. I would lose Google Services, my favorite games and apps and the features of Android. I weighed the pros and cons a while ago and Android is better for me.

hmm each to their own choice i guess,thats why multiple brands with various features and differences were created i guess :)
after all we all are consumers at the end of the day

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

I use Google Services. I don't live in the USA and Google Maps is much more informative in the country I live in. What I do need from Microsoft is MS Office. I have that already on my Note 3 and I hear that my Tab will have it soon. And I need medical apps. So in general, if the OS lacks the apps relevant to my work, no matter how good the hardware - I just have to pass.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
There's one VERY IMPORTANT feature that makes WP8.1 better than Android 4.4.2 KitKat:

- On WP8.1 you can securely save apps to microSD cards. Which means, if you have a low end phone, you can still usefully expand your storage. As of 4.4.2, Google screwed up Android and removed that ability from it. Which means Android phones running 4.4.2 KitKat can NOT save apps to the microSD card, which means low end phones are very very limited and even flagships like Sony's Xperia Z line, become suddenly less good. Because they released all the Xperia phones with 16GB which was OK since you had the microSD card slot. Except as of 4.4.2 that card slot became basically useless to actually expand the memory of the phone.

actually, u can expand the storage, many applications are there on the play store...which help in moving apps to sd card

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I use Google Services. I don't live in the USA and Google Maps is much more informative in the country I live in. What I do need from Microsoft is MS Office. I have that already on my Note 3 and I hear that my Tab will have it soon. And I need medical apps. So in general, if the OS lacks the apps relevant to my work, no matter how good the hardware - I just have to pass.

im not american, im from mumbai , india and microsoft services work equally good here
i know some professional medical apps etc are missing from WP , i didnt deny that
itll be a while for WP to get pro business apps i guess
i personally have a lumia 720,nexus 7,nexus 5 and ipad as my daily devices to get best of every os :)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
not without rooting etc though
pls there is a risk of messing the files of the phone in android

No there is not. In KtiKat they disallowed the way apps write to SD cards and by default (which has been on Android for years) you can't mess with system folders from the get go unless you root and if your root, you are obviously tech savvy enough to know what to touch and what not to touch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05