Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
No there is not. In KtiKat they disallowed the way apps write to SD cards and by default (which has been on Android for years) you can't mess with system folders from the get go unless you root and if your root, you are obviously tech savvy enough to know what to touch and what not to touch.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

i know, i said if android apps are moved to sd in older relaeases then you could mess up the install if you delete files accidently
i didnt say kitkat, i said older releases with apps on sd

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
not worth it , to unroot usually you have to reflash the phone etc
jailbreaking and dev unlocking ios and wp are much safer and within limits so nothing can go wrong

What are you talking about? I have a software on my PC kingo Android root, you only need to connect your phone, activate USB debug, click on root. To unroot, click on the unroot option. It's THAT simple.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
jailbreaking and dev unlocking ios and wp are much safer and within limits so nothing can go wrong

But I do agree, on the second part. The funny thing is that once you unlock/jailbreak ios, you can't install future updates on the phone, unlike WP.(jailbreak is not possible on WP I think)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Services. I don't live in the USA and Google Maps is much more informative in the country I live in. What I do need from Microsoft is MS Office. I have that already on my Note 3 and I hear that my Tab will have it soon. And I need medical apps. So in general, if the OS lacks the apps relevant to my work, no matter how good the hardware - I just have to pass.

What kind of medical apps do you need? To be honest, the most complete set was, and is still used industry-wide, for PalmOS. You still see a ton of Tungsten & T/X PDAs around.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? I have a software on my PC kingo Android root, you only need to connect your phone, activate USB debug, click on root. To unroot, click on the unroot option. It's THAT simple.

Depends on the phone. Most Motorolas need to have the bootloaders unlocked first. There is no universal one-click and most LG devices have to be rooted via command line.

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Only thing am missing from android is a proper google plus app hopefully we see some masterpiece by rudy huyn or lazyworm or someone

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Huh? Rooting has nothing to do with the ROM. For Windows users not familiar with the process of rooting, it's the same premise of unlocking your registry for editing.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the phone. Most Motorolas need to have the bootloaders unlocked first. There is no universal one-click and most LG devices have to be rooted via command line.

Oh sorry. I had a Samsung tab. Didn't know that it's complicated in others. So is it a huge command code we have to type out or just basic stuff?

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
What kind of medical apps do you need? To be honest, the most complete set was, and is still used industry-wide, for PalmOS. You still see a ton of Tungsten & T/X PDAs around.

Medscape, QXcalculate, Oxford Handbook of Paediatrics, Harriet Lane Handbook, Lab Values + and Standard Dictation just for starters.
The minimum requirement for me is a Medscape app. Don't think it will be there in the next 5 years.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
But I do agree, on the second part. The funny thing is that once you unlock/jailbreak ios, you can't install future updates on the phone, unlike WP.(jailbreak is not possible on WP I think)

it is
dev unlock and interop unlock etc
still its not as high level as rooting,jailbreaking ios though

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
it does, most devices need reflashing to unroot fyi
registry edits and rooting have no comparison

I've rooted and removed root access from many devices, too many to count. I've never had to reflash a ROM to remove root. By definition, rooting just means you have access to deeper levels of modification - just like editing your registry, developer mode on webOS devices and interop unlocking on WP devices. Your ROM and baseband are unaffected by this.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted and removed root access from many devices, too many to count. I've never had to reflash a ROM to remove root. By definition, rooting just means you have access to deeper levels of modification - just like editing your registry, developer mode on webOS devices and interop unlocking on WP devices. Your ROM and baseband are unaffected by this.

So you've never done so with a Samsung device then? You have to reflash through Odin for that.

Pch79

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I've used android since the galaxy S1 and have had every model since up until the S4 with a few in between for testers. The only time I've really enjoyed them is when I've loaded custom roms. I'm running 4.4.2 On my S4 now and IM still getting lag in certain areas which I consider critical. I don't have many apps and no games and its been around long enough that there shouldn't be any lag at all. The lag I'm talking about is going to phone book or going through call logs, opening sms and niggly little bugs which have been around since the beginning.

At work we are starting to use windows mobile devices and I was given a Lumia 625 and upon reading the specs I was expecting it to be a big POS and its actually smoother than my S4 in all the areas the S4 isn't and then some. Hope that made sense. Haha

I didn't like wp8 to much as I found it a little bland but since loading wp8.1 I'm loving it. All I can think about is how it'll perform with a high end device like the 930.
Yes the app store doesn't have as many apps but the main ones are there and IM happy to use a work around. I'm sick of looking at the little app boxes and love the wp live tiles. One major factor was also Google plus and their forced integration which really pissed me off and the fact they didn't give me a choice but that's a story for another day. I've convinced a few friends to also make the change so I have a pretty good feeling wp is on the up even so the app market party of it is still a way off. uchh so many areas I didn't cover but I think you all get the drift 😊

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb