Windows Phone 8.1 vs Android 4.4.2

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ya true, but I Think I'm sure, I read somewhere that someone on earth had jailbroken a WP. I think it was 920 or something and wpcentral even had an article on it.

yeah the older ativs and huwaei(dunno the spelling sorry abt that) have interop i believe which is just like rooting etc
even the HTC HD7, that device is a marvel runs every OS every made

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I've rooted and removed root access from many devices, too many to count. I've never had to reflash a ROM to remove root. By definition, rooting just means you have access to deeper levels of modification - just like editing your registry, developer mode on webOS devices and interop unlocking on WP devices. Your ROM and baseband are unaffected by this.

editing the registry is completely different, it is a tad bit similiar but not exact
rooting is more like changing system32 .dlls to enable more functions and access
ROM is definately affected , so is baseband
roughly 96% of droids need reflash to remove root, i dont see where you may have never come across unrooting a device without it

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
editing the registry is completely different, it is a tad bit similiar but not exact
rooting is more like changing system32 .dlls to enable more functions and access
roughly 96% of droids need reflash to remove root, i dont see where you may have never come across unrooting a device without it

Where did 96% come from?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Rooting an Android without installing a custom ROM does not require reflashing to remove root access. I'm not 100% about Samsung because I've worked very little with them. I can say with certainty that HTC, Motorola, Pantech & Sony do not require it.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Rooting an Android without installing a custom ROM does not require reflashing to remove root access. I'm not 100% about Samsung because I've worked very little with them. I can say with certainty that HTC, Motorola, Pantech & Sony do not require it.

moto , sony and htc as well as samsung need reflashing the oem os once again to remove root and some even need you to lock the bootloader to remove root

just googling it shows each article specifying reflashing to unroot
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=u...9i57j69i59&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

only few devices support the on click unroot method

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay all I wanna know what MAJOR features are we lacking in?
I've read on several blogs, here and there heard my friend talk about it. But just what are the major feature we DON'T have that people on kitkat DO
I have never used a Android phone ao I don't really know much about it or have enough info to form a solid opinion about it. I understand its all a matter of choice both have pros and cons but WHAT is it about Wp8.1 that repels droidboys.
I asked my friend what were his MAJOR requirements he talked about a file manager well got it..ability to make folders..got that too. Facebook integration, better than Android I guess. And few themes to play around with. Well not there yet. But still would love to know from a person using BOTH the OS what is it. Apart from google services what do they miss on wp8?

It's interesting that you question Android without even taking the time to use an Android phone (btw, Best Buy is selling a Moto G for $50 so you can ar least learn it before critizing Kit Kat). The biggest issue is still the lack of a large number of apps. I have used a Lumia 520 for the last 2 months and have used Android for the last 3 years. I have also used Palm OS for 6 months also. In addition to the app issue there is nothing compelling that would attract me to WP 8. Most of you throwing out all these critiques of Android haven't spent time with it to see what's available today and spout 2 - 3 year old issues or problems that no longer exist. BTW, people on Gingerbread have more support from Android than the orphaned WP 7 users do.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Less than 1% of Android users root.

i never said root was popular
someone else mentioned rooting is easy and stuff, another said moving apps to sd card is possible via root
i said unrooting is a task on its own and stuff because it involves reflashing and stuff

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Wikipedia isn't an accurate source and to be honest I thought Android is getting 250 million activations a week. Which would mean like 13 billion in a year. Which would also mean your maths falls short and there's even more rooted Android devices.

I understand its popular and easier to discredit Wikipedia while pulling random numbers from memory, but it would be better to quote a source of some type when pointing out possible math or accuracy errors.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand its popular and easier to discredit Wikipedia while pulling random numbers from memory, but it would be better to quote a source of some type when pointing out possible math or accuracy errors.

I'm aware. I'll try and find numbers in a bit as I'm currently on my phone right now traveling. But yes, I made a grave error there and am editing out my numbers.

Though in all fairness I'm still pretty sure Android has way more activations than what you listed. I'll use the same website you used for Windows Phone to provide the Android statistics.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Though in all fairness I'm still pretty sure Android has way more activations than what you listed. I'll use the same website you used for Windows Phone to provide the Android statistics.

I don't know the total number of activated Android devices, but I do know that a year ago the rate of Android activations was around 1.5 million/day. I haven't seen a more recent number but it's probably somewhat higher. I would imagine that a lot of those are replacing current devices and not adding to the total number.

Akhilesh Bhambhani

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
BTW, people on Gingerbread have more support from Android than the orphaned WP 7 users do.

WHATTT?? Gingerbread has MORE support? I hope you were being sarcastic. My mother has phone that runs gingerbread. Screw gingerbread, even ICS has NO ******* SUPPORT. NO updates at all. Stop living inside your imaginative bubble. And pleaseeeee I feel like throwing my mother's phone against the wall, gingerbread or that **** thing you call an OS. NO update whatsoever NO support..stop kidding yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05