For those who have a BlackBerry z30 and Lumia 1520 (or similar phones)...

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
How would you compare the top Windows and BlackBerry phones as of today? For multitasking, security (ok I know bb wins in the security dept. lol) and just overall functionality. FYI: im not a big app user, so no need to compare apps, or lack there of. :)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I own a Z10 and a 1520, so I can at least have something relatively similar. Here's my breakdown (they are, however, opinions, mostly)

Multitasking: BB (although it uses a lot more battery than WP)

Keyboard: WP

Consumer-focused functionality: WP

Enterprise-focused functionality: BB (although since MS is an enterprise company, I suspect they'll add the enterprise stuff before BB adds consumer)

Email: BB (by a hair, although I'll admit that I don't email a lot)

Ease of use: WP

hardware quality: WP

"palmability" (ease of use to hold in hands): Compared to the 1520, probably BB, but the 930 will be the same size, so that'll be a tie.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
No app war it would be fun if I compare app gap btw both OS market lol anyways straight on your question both have notification centre (with wp8.1 ) , true multi tasking. Bb has something unique -gestures and notifications are grouped in hub. They do have a notification led light but I don't need it since I have glance to quickly peek on my pending notifications. Both devices are well constructed. If you talk about bob market share in my country sadly they are going down and windows phone is taking a lead (India ). I haven't used bb z30 but I have read great reviews on sister website crackberry. Those who relay on bbm messenger , emails can give bb z30 a try but those who want a good app selections , fluid perforce with great battery life l, stunning camera can go with lumia 1520 :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
You guys pretty much nailed the comparisons of what I was thinking, but I don't have a newer BlackBerry so I had to ask. Do the bb10 devices still have BBM video and screen share? Those were great sharing mechanisms. What about the z10/30 keyboards. I heard those were awesome!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You guys pretty much nailed the comparisons of what I was thinking, but I don't have a newer BlackBerry so I had to ask. Do the bb10 devices still have BBM video and screen share? Those were great sharing mechanisms. What about the z10/30 keyboards. I heard those were awesome!

if I am not wrong yes they are present in bb10 (OS 10 and up devices ) keyboard is great and fluid to use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PUqX413vo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI5QMFnQ5FM

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I believe that they do, but it only works with BB10 devices, which means that if you don't know anyone with a BB10 device, it wont be worth it.

I personally think the keyboard on WP is better, but people at Crackberry seem to love the BB10 keyboard. Both are pretty good.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh, that's right...so if someone had an Android device, and I had a bb10 device, we couldn't screen share?

Not currently no. Supposedly, BlackBerry will be making those features cross-platform eventually, but they've been very slow rolling those things out.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Not currently no. Supposedly, BlackBerry will be making those features cross-platform eventually, but they've been very slow rolling those things out.

you're right, they were making BBM available to everyone. I searched yesterday, cuz I thought it was done already,but I couldn't find a BBM app in the store. Any idea of when they'll finish?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
you're right, they were making BBM available to everyone. I searched yesterday, cuz I thought it was done already,but I couldn't find a BBM app in the store. Any idea of when they'll finish?

I would guess by the end of the year, at best. Keep in mind though, that BB is treating BBM as kind of its own thing, so all platforms (including WP) will eventually get it, so having a Z30 wouldn't have any advantage.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have both a Lumia 920 and a Z30. They are both great devices. BB10 is super smooth (like WP 8 and 8.1) but it does require a little more in the memory department. Camera is better on the 920, email is slightly better on BB10 (the Hub is very good indeed). Notifications are handled a bit differently on both platforms and I give the nod to BB on that one; battery is better on the Z30 (it is bigger), however I routinely get a full day with the 920 on a charge. As for the interface - WP hands down as I really prefer the overall experience. All my opinions - I routinely switch between the two for a daily driver, and am comfortable with either one. Really want to see BBM on windows phone soon though.

Last edited:

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I have both a Lumia 920 and a Z30. They are both great devices. BB10 is super smooth (like WP 8 and 8.1) but it does require a little more in the memory department. Camera is better on the 920, email is slightly better on BB10 (the Hub is very good indeed). Notifications are handled a bit differently on both platforms and I give the nod to BB on that one; battery is better on the Z30 (it is bigger), however I routinely get a full day with the 920 on a charge. As for the interface - WP hands down as I really prefer the overall experience. All my opinions - I routinely switch between the two for a daily driver, and am comfortable with either one. Really want to see BBM on windows phone soon though.
I'd have to disagree with you when it comes to how smooth it is. It's about as bad as a higher end Android. Certainly not WP caliber.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with you when it comes to how smooth it is. It's about as bad as a higher end Android. Certainly not WP caliber.
Ummmm - my son has an S4 - he switched from a Z10. We have both used the S4 and the Z30 with the latest BB10 OS; the Z30 seemed smoother to both of us? Again, just our opinions. Actual mileage may vary for others! :grin: Agreed that neither are WP caliber, but the Z30 is quite good!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Having had both, I can agree with the majority with the exception of notifications and UI. I've never liked unified inboxes and The Hub didn't do it for me either. The WP keyboard is definitely better and BB predictive text requires too much interaction and searching the letters for that "right" word. Being an avowed webOS devotee, I give BB the edge on UI because of their shameless rip-off of the Enyo sliding panels and swipe gestures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon