The Nokia Lumia 630 isn't going to cut it against the Moto E.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
As you may know, Motorola just released the Moto E at $130, and it is targeting the same market segment this device is intended to target. The Lumia 630 has a better CPU, but the Moto E has more RAM. Also, it hasn't been pointed out much, but the Lumia 630 will only be marginally faster than the Lumia 520 - it may have twice as many CPU cores and a 20% faster clock speed, but the Cortex A7 cores in the Lumia 630 are slower than the Krait cores in the Lumia 520.

Honestly, it would've made more sense to push the Lumia 525 to a broader market.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As you may know, Motorola just released the Moto E at $130, and it is targeting the same market segment this device is intended to target. The Lumia 630 has a better CPU, but the Moto E has more RAM. Also, it hasn't been pointed out much, but the Lumia 630 will only be marginally faster than the Lumia 520 - it may have twice as many CPU cores and a 20% faster clock speed, but the Cortex A7 cores in the Lumia 630 are slower than the Krait cores in the Lumia 520.

Honestly, it would've made more sense to push the Lumia 525 to a broader market.

I haven't tested yet, but at least based on synthetic benchmarks I'd expect the Lumia 630 to actually be slower than the 520 at almost everything except IE. I suspect it won't be noticeably slower though, particularly because very little of the UI is powered by the CPU.

abhiiceman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
moto e got above 1124 ratings in 24 hrs(flipkart) and l630 got hardly got 10 :(....people are going mad about moto..

edit:btw i never knew l520 had krait...:love: i had just noticed the adreno-350....but even with this specs because of the poor porting or dono what even the old temple run acts sort of strange when compared to android ver...it has awesome fps but still sort of sucks..

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the entire x2x series used Krait cores. Almost any performance hiccup with the 520/620/720 was a result of 512 MB RAM. The 1 GB Lumia 525 took care of that.

The Lumia 630 is honestly awful compared to the 525. Unless it launches at sub-$70 in America, it isn't something I could recommend. It's sad, since the Lumia 520/521 were the only phones that I'd recommend at a low price point before.

Even doing something as simple as including 768 MB of RAM instead of 512 MB would've made it arguably better than the Lumia 520, as that would at least stop apps from force closing when they use large amounts of RAM. There's simply nothing compelling about this handset.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the exact prices for each but hardware wise they're so so:

630 has slightly lower resolution, but it also has slightly bigger screen
630 supports bigger SD cards, 630 has more internal memory then E
Moto E has more ram, but except for few games, 512MB on WP really isn't such an issue
They both have 5MP cameras, but I'm pretty sure Nokias one is better (autofocus, Moto G has fixed focus), and 630 has 720p camera
630 has snapdragon 400 (quad core), moto e has 200 (dual core), same CPU though, just different amount of cores
630 has better graphics

Price wise moto e is 99GBP, 630 is 10,500Rs, which is 105GBP, for 5GBP difference, strictly hardware wise, I'd go for 630. Add a 4GB memory card to E, and they cost the same. Of course we all know how well WP performs on low end hardware, and how android does. I know motorola optimizes the software well though.

I wouldn't say 630 isn't going to cut it againt Moto E, but then again 5GBP could be a lot for India. I'm just really glad we're starting to see cheaper phones, years ago, even feature phones cost 400€, then later you could get the same features on a <100€ phone, then smartphones came and the prices rose again, and phones <200€ (off contract) weren't really any good.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Its targeting different user. Phone users who does not mind tech specs. Not all people are specs addict yah know.

I'd say the 630 is deliberately targeting the ignorant tech fan, who is specifically looking for a quad core device on a budget.

This device is all about looking good on the spec sheet without increasing cost, and consciously sacrificing some performance (in most scenarios) to do so.

Based on previous behaviour, I expect the price of the 630 to fall faster than Moto's. That might then cut it.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the exact prices for each but hardware wise they're so so:

630 has slightly lower resolution, but it also has slightly bigger screen
630 supports bigger SD cards, 630 has more internal memory then E
Moto E has more ram, but except for few games, 512MB on WP really isn't such an issue
They both have 5MP cameras, but I'm pretty sure Nokias one is better (autofocus, Moto G has fixed focus), and 630 has 720p camera
630 has snapdragon 400 (quad core), moto e has 200 (dual core), same CPU though, just different amount of cores
630 has better graphics

Price wise moto e is 99GBP, 630 is 10,500Rs, which is 105GBP, for 5GBP difference, strictly hardware wise, I'd go for 630. Add a 4GB memory card to E, and they cost the same. Of course we all know how well WP performs on low end hardware, and how android does. I know motorola optimizes the software well though.

I wouldn't say 630 isn't going to cut it againt Moto E, but then again 5GBP could be a lot for India. I'm just really glad we're starting to see cheaper phones, years ago, even feature phones cost 400?, then later you could get the same features on a <100? phone, then smartphones came and the prices rose again, and phones <200? (off contract) weren't really any good.

And also inportant, you can actually buy Lumia 630 in you home country ;) . Me and Jan can't buy Motorola in Slovenia, we have to order it from UK or Germany. This means we don't have a warranty, ok we have it but you have to send it to Germany or UK. Might not be problem for some people more familiar with technology and foreign languages but would be a big turn off for my father.

Than with Moto E there is also a problem that it only has 4 GB of memory which, since it runs Kit Kat ,is only place on which you can store your apps.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
The issue is that the Lumia 630 is not a compelling device. Lumia 520s can be had for significantly cheaper, and are faster at a number of tasks. Lumia 525s are faster all around.

This isn't about spec-wars. It's about the fact that, unlike the case of Lumia 520/525 vs. Android phones of last year, there is no compelling reason to purchase a Lumia 630. The Lumia 520 was the only device in its price bracket that offered acceptable performance, but that isn't the case any more.

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
The issue is that the Lumia 630 is not a compelling device. Lumia 520s can be had for significantly cheaper, and are faster at a number of tasks. Lumia 525s are faster all around.

You don't know what you are talking about. I saw a youtube video today, where they benchmark tested the 630 vs the 525, and the 630 ran circles around the 525, with almost double the score!
Found it again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz1vp1PPnO0

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
And also inportant, you can actually buy Lumia 630 in you home country ;) . Me and Jan can't buy Motorola in Slovenia, we have to order it from UK or Germany. This means we don't have a warranty, ok we have it but you have to send it to Germany or UK. Might not be problem for some people more familiar with technology and foreign languages but would be a big turn off for my father.

Than with Moto E there is also a problem that it only has 4 GB of memory which, since it runs Kit Kat ,is only place on which you can store your apps.

Hey u can move apps to sd.in moto e check youtube videos.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can, with root I believe but this is phone for people whoe have never heard of root.

Sent from my B85M-HD3 using Tapatalk

Google removed the option to install apps on sd card with kitkat? What's wrong with them? I understand that internal memory is faster and more reliable but so little space is just not enough, especially because upgrade from 4 to 8 gb would cost motorola about 5 cents.

Also how did you know I was Slovene, are you stalking me? I have no problem buying stuff from other countries, I bought the 720 for my darling on amazon.it, it was quite pricey at the time, but it didn't arrive to Slovene carriers until months later. I wouldn't have a problem getting a phone from UK, but clearly, Moto E is not meant for me :D

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Sure I'm stalking you, you are never safer from me :D. Ok seriously now, yes its true about Android 4.4, SD card now behaves like it used to in WP 8.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Sure I'm stalking you, you are never safer from me :D. Ok seriously now, yes its true about Android 4.4, SD card now behaves like it used to in WP 8.

No go nd check youtube videos moto e allows app to sd though it is with kitkat.check it guys:D:p:rolleyes:

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I found it, looks like they enabled this. Smart move Motorola.
umaqevan.png

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
This phone isn't going to cut it against the Moto E.

moto e got above 1124 ratings in 24 hrs(flipkart) and l630 got hardly got 10 :(....people are going mad about moto..

Difference : Moto G/E is not available in outside stores but only online......

Lumia 630 is available even outside..
(Correct me if I am wrong)

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss