Please stop hating Google, they only spy on us to improve our experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Maybe for a lot of people you're right(no, you are right about some), but my dislike of Google is centered around their invasive policies. It seems like if you give Google an inch they'll take a lightyear.

I'm also concerned that many people who are getting their first smartphones are being led like lambs to the slaughter. Apple are to be congratulated for building their closed ecosystem and Microsoft congratulated for copying it and making it available at a more reasonable price point. The VAST majority of smartphone users are not equiped to deal with a malware attack or know how to safeguard their digital identities and so, for their sake, Windows phone should run their device while Android is for pasty-faced geeks who need to get out more.

Holy generalizations Batman!

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
No hatred for me. Simply, they provided me with a functional OS that grew in no time making my life much better and i was eager to share some info. Then they went to stage 2 of their strategy and became greedy for data and arrogant. On top of that they lied on a lot of things relating to privacy and how much data they share with the US government. That in Europe is causing issues at government level. People simply don't trust them anymore.
I am one of those. Apart from that, they are becoming too big. There is a need for a fresh alternative, non US made if possible.
For now Google grows. However, more and more people are becoming "data aware". This is not heading in a good direction for Google. It's matter of time.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Idk if I commented but I really can't stand google. Just due to their arrogance.

Apple does not bother me much at all and will be an alternative if I ever left windows phone again. I even support them with their samesung case as well. I like the hardware just hate the os.

Google and android unfortunately are two things that are way too powerful and I am looking forward to the day when someone can knock them down a peg.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Maybe for a lot of people you're right(no, you are right about some), but my dislike of Google is centered around their invasive policies. It seems like if you give Google an inch they'll take a lightyear.

I'm also concerned that many people who are getting their first smartphones are being led like lambs to the slaughter. Apple are to be congratulated for building their closed ecosystem and Microsoft congratulated for copying it and making it available at a more reasonable price point. The VAST majority of smartphone users are not equiped to deal with a malware attack or know how to safeguard their digital identities and so, for their sake, Windows phone should run their device while Android is for pasty-faced geeks who need to get out more.

Lambs to the slaughter? Are we talking about smartphones here or some weird, satanic ritual, lol.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
There's a reason I'm on Windows Phone. Having people scream at me from the stands that I should hate Apple instead of Google isn't going to make me switch mobile OSes. Redirecting my dislike for one OS isn't going to make me like the other anymore. OP sounds like a google apologist. Frankly, I don't think Android users and Google supporters have anything to apologize for. Google uses your user information to spy on you to make money. Some people are okay with this, others are not. While it doesn't benefit the end user, it doesn't appear to harm them.

I'm still not sure where Apple falls into this mess.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
A business begins because you have a vision and you want to succeed. Years later, it's about profits, competition, and a bit of passion. That, to me, is what all this controversy stems from. You hate a company not for what it stands for, but what it has done to succeed.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you about Apple, though I can't bring myself to hate them, because what they have achieved has led the way at least for some time.

I don't however, believe your claim about Google's spying for a second: Google earn their money by getting us to click adverts. Those adverts need to be targeted to maximize Google's profits and reduce their costs, and to do that, they need to build a profile of each of us. This invasion of privacy is not for our benefit and it is a dangerous folly to pretend anything else.

My standard advice to everyone is not to have a Google account or have an android device. Not because I have proof they're acting dishonestly, though I suspect they are, but because I want to be convinced someone is trustworthy before I trust them with important information. To my mind Google devices and services come with too many stings attached and until I can see where all those ties lead, I'm staying well away.

Well, on the flip side of that, Google also needs to be able to sell Privacy to the end users, and if there is any significant breach of that, they lose trust, ads, and really profits all together. (Basically if no one trusts their data with Google, no one will use it)

Personally, I'd say Google is outright honest with what they do. They don't make up the "Google Man" false advertising, as Microsoft does the exact same thing that they said Google does, but Microsoft only does it for Spam fighting, while Google does it for Spam and ads. No person would likely be able to read all that data.

Also, up until recently, if I wanted an XB1, I would have to have a device in my house listening to *everything* I said.

There is also this, that Microsoft read a former employee's email by hand (albeit to check that the employee leaked Windows 7 and 8):
Microsoft scans blogger's Hotmail account to track down Windows 8 leaker | The Verge

Personally, Google sells ads, and privacy as they can't sell ads without privacy. Microsoft sells software. It's really who you trust more. I like Google's services, and I vastly prefer their search to Bing, but I do like my Lumia as well. I don't like F.U.D. though.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
There's a reason I'm on Windows Phone. Having people scream at me from the stands that I should hate Apple instead of Google isn't going to make me switch mobile OSes. Redirecting my dislike for one OS isn't going to make me like the other anymore. OP sounds like a google apologist. Frankly, I don't think Android users and Google supporters have anything to apologize for. Google uses your user information to spy on you to make money. Some people are okay with this, others are not. While it doesn't benefit the end user, it doesn't appear to harm them.

It does benefit the user. Take for example if you let Google Now scan your gmail and then if you have an upcoming flight, it'll display the flight info and ticket number directly in Google Now.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In confused how everyone thinks Apple is overpriced.

iPhone costs the same as Active SE or a Lumia Icon off contract.

The Macbook Air and Pro cost the same as any good windows laptop.

The iMac starting price is the same as any comparable Windows AIO.

The iPad costs the same as a surface, features aside.

I am not seeing overpriced.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

only applicable in US and UK, here apple is massively overpriced
i dont hate apple as such, i hate google more, i like AOSP android and not google services and samsung, which imho are poor replicas of the originals
i hate ios 7 design etc, very much fake and cartoonish, obviously takes alot of design cues etc from WP and a bit from android
apple may be pricey but other than iphones, the ipad series and the macbook air(excluding the MBA battery wear issues, which are a big no-no) but it certainly works better than google and samsung, id rather pay more for a apple or a microsoft ecosystem than a google/samsung one
i actually have a complete apple,microsoft, google devices ecosystem right here in my home (im a gadget enthusiast and free-advicer for friends, family and business so i buy and try before giving my views)
other than google search(which only has good result system and bad spying system), all google services are lame
i must also mention that apple is not really better , icloud pales in comparison to onedrive and maybe even google drive with poor management of data, transfers etc

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It does benefit the user. Take for example if you let Google Now scan your gmail and then if you have an upcoming flight, it'll display the flight info and ticket number directly in Google Now.

that actually is one excellent feature of android which i wish was better implemented in cortana
i carry both my 720 and nexus 5 on trips and this feature is a boon for connecting flights

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

strangely i agree with you and A895 both in a way
well said
apple actually provides more quality despite being a bit more locked down but hey atleast its safe(excluding the SSL vulnerability, patched in 7.1.x)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
for posts saying microsoft copied ios to make WP, i must remind you that WP7 and android 4.1 came out way before ios 7 , irony much design wise?!!
ios 7 is a pathetic UI , prefer 6.1.3 anyday especially on an ipad

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, on the flip side of that, Google also needs to be able to sell Privacy to the end users, and if there is any significant breach of that, they lose trust, ads, and really profits all together. (Basically if no one trusts their data with Google, no one will use it)

Personally, I'd say Google is outright honest with what they do. They don't make up the "Google Man" false advertising, as Microsoft does the exact same thing that they said Google does, but Microsoft only does it for Spam fighting, while Google does it for Spam and ads. No person would likely be able to read all that data.

Also, up until recently, if I wanted an XB1, I would have to have a device in my house listening to *everything* I said.

There is also this, that Microsoft read a former employee's email by hand (albeit to check that the employee leaked Windows 7 and 8):
Microsoft scans blogger's Hotmail account to track down Windows 8 leaker | The Verge

Personally, Google sells ads, and privacy as they can't sell ads without privacy. Microsoft sells software. It's really who you trust more. I like Google's services, and I vastly prefer their search to Bing, but I do like my Lumia as well. I don't like F.U.D. though.

google feels more like big brother with its background spying for ads etc
i dont like my personal info being used to display ads without my permission etc, atleast microsoft asks you if you want to use a Advertising ID

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Everybody who hates a company that produces consumer products can call himself lucky. How little real problems must such a person have, to waste these strong emotions on a business they need to buy nothing from?

Well, my life is even better. I don't have a lot of problems and I hate no tech company. Lucky me I guess.

But honestly, why the hell would you care if Apple products are overpriced or not? Obviously many people don't consider them overpriced, and if you do, you don't have to buy them. Strange world...

That's a strange comment, given the fact that one of the primary considerations in purchasing any product, not just tech hardware, is price point and value. You may not care about it, but most people do.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
google feels more like big brother with its background spying for ads etc
i dont like my personal info being used to display ads without my permission etc, atleast microsoft asks you if you want to use a Advertising ID

You did press "I agree" with Google correct?

The XB1 felt a lot more like Big Brother, as it was *always* listening. Also, as Microsoft makes money from the XB1, Office, WP8, and Windows itself, I'm not sure why Microsoft would have an Advertising ID to begin with tbh. Seems more big-brother-ey to me.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You did press "I agree" with Google correct?

The XB1 felt a lot more like Big Brother, as it was *always* listening. Also, as Microsoft makes money from the XB1, Office, WP8, and Windows itself, I'm not sure why Microsoft would have an Advertising ID to begin with tbh. Seems more big-brother-ey to me.

yeah right so its completely OK with you to have google spy on you behind your back in background but its a sin to have microsoft give you the option to enable it and its disabled by default

i dont give a thing about xb1, i hate console except the older ones upto ps2 and portables like psp and ps vita so i dont really care about spying there as long as its not like google

as for me agreeing with google, hell no , id rather live in a cave than let google sell my private info to some ad retailer
usually the ads are misleading and "kinky" or suspicious even for smallest of search results

you seem to like the google life with poor quality,spying and sale of your info to shady ad companies etc but microsoft is a devil for offering you an off-switch
just fyi microsoft doesnt spy with the xb1 on dear 10 year olds or something, that was a rumour before release and microsoft released a statement denying it

microsoft makes money off us consumers and so does apple yes but atleast our data is safe and within limits and we get wayy better quality with apple and microsoft than google
android tabs are the best example and are a huuge joke compared to the ipad and windows 8 tabs, they lack quality and smoothness
google has become an evil corp recently , sadly , accept it and move on

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a strange comment, given the fact that one of the primary considerations in purchasing any product, not just tech hardware, is price point and value. You may not care about it, but most people do.

Obviously when it comes to Apple they don't considering Apple makes a ton of money off mobile and their devices sell like hot cakes.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
yeah right so its completely OK with you to have google spy on you behind your back in background but its a sin to have microsoft give you the option to enable it and its disabled by default

i dont give a thing about xb1, i hate console except the older ones upto ps2 and portables like psp and ps vita so i dont really care about spying there as long as its not like google

as for me agreeing with google, hell no , id rather live in a cave than let google sell my private info to some ad retailer
usually the ads are misleading and "kinky" or suspicious even for smallest of search results

you seem to like the google life with poor quality,spying and sale of your info to shady ad companies etc but microsoft is a devil for offering you an off-switch
just fyi microsoft doesnt spy with the xb1 on dear 10 year olds or something, that was a rumour before release and microsoft released a statement denying it

microsoft makes money off us consumers and so does apple yes but atleast our data is safe and within limits and we get wayy better quality with apple and microsoft than google
android tabs are the best example and are a huuge joke compared to the ipad and windows 8 tabs, they lack quality and smoothness
google has become an evil corp recently , sadly , accept it and move on

"Spy" and "behind your back" imply that I didn't agree to it up front. It isn't a human reading these, while it theoretically could be. Can you factually prove, with sources that Microsoft isn't watching what you type on your Windows computers and sending it back to their servers? I mean conclusively prove? And before you ask, I'm running Firefox, not Chrome.

You might not "give a thing", but that isn't the point. That is still a big issue, and a concern. I could say "I don't use google signed in on my computers, and I use a VPN, so google tracking 'is not a thing to me'" but I still refuted the point.

Google outright says they don't sell to an ad retailer. Do you use Facebook? They do that. Google does EBay style auctions for phrases, like "best dentist" or "fastest car" and they keep the info. There is an "off switch" by the way, called signing out. Can you point me to hard proof that they aren't listening to them? I found an article pointing the other way:
Kinect for Xbox One: An always-on, works-in-the-dark camera and microphone. What could possibly go wrong? | ExtremeTech

It isn't safe, as the article I mentioned shows as a fact, they can go to the server room to read anyone's email, whenever they want. Do you use PGP encrypted email for everything? No?

I didn't say how dare they make money. What I said, or I thought at least implied was:
Google makes their money soley off of ads. They can only get these ads if people trust them, so their privacy and profits go hand in hand. Microsoft gets money from enough places that if no one trusted their data to Microsoft, they'd still be ok.

I like how you again referenced so many articles, and factual proof to say it's a huge joke that they lack quality and smoothness. I mean, that must be a fact, as look at sales numbers, Android is severely lagging. I like the W8 tabs, but honestly, if the "lack of quality and smoothness" was what most people felt, would they continue to buy them?

"google has become an evil corp recently , sadly , accept it and move on" again, I like your well documented proof. I will stop using services that stop using services I find better than Microsofts, as in Google search, Gmail (I never get spam to my Gmail, yes I occasionally see an ad from Google directly, but that's better than the ads I see in my Outlook.com), and Google Voice is a lifesaver when I can't get cell signal, but I can get wifi. To each their own.

Thanks for your hard hitting fact based expose!

PS I like some Microsoft services better than Google's, but still, F.U.D. isn't good for anyone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In confused how everyone thinks Apple is overpriced.

iPhone costs the same as Active SE or a Lumia Icon off contract.

The Macbook Air and Pro cost the same as any good windows laptop.

The iMac starting price is the same as any comparable Windows AIO.

The iPad costs the same as a surface, features aside.

I am not seeing overpriced.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

My friend, you and I disagree sometimes and that's cool. But reading your post makes me understand why. You don't state your case very well and it can cause replies such as some of the ones you already received. Apple is indeed overpriced - if you only look at dollars and cents. Apple gives you VALUE and that line is blurry to some people. I'm a working stiff so I try to get the most from my spending. I have only bought 2 desktops in the last 13 years and they are both Macs. The only reason I bought the second one last year is because the previous one is a PowerPC model that can't upgrade past 10.5, not because there's anything wrong with it.

I'm not one to look at phones as an investment but dollar for dollar, Apple and BlackBerry make the best devices. Unless you buy a Nexus phone, you may or may not get an upgrade so that's an automatic out for me. Rooting and custom ROMs are not an option since that just tells me the system was garbage to begin with. I've rooted dozens of Androids but in the end, I'll take an OEM with fewer bugs than a custom ROM with a ton. That's where WP comes in. Solid devices across the board and a well-thought OS to boot. To me, that's also value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05