Please stop hating Google, they only spy on us to improve our experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
My friend, you and I disagree sometimes and that's cool. But reading your post makes me understand why. You don't state your case very well and it can cause replies such as some of the ones you already received. Apple is indeed overpriced - if you only look at dollars and cents. Apple gives you VALUE and that line is blurry to some people. I'm a working stiff so I try to get the most from my spending. I have only bought 2 desktops in the last 13 years and they are both Macs. The only reason I bought the second one last year is because the previous one is a PowerPC model that can't upgrade past 10.5, not because there's anything wrong with it.

I'm not one to look at phones as an investment but dollar for dollar, Apple and BlackBerry make the best devices. Unless you buy a Nexus phone, you may or may not get an upgrade so that's an automatic out for me. Rooting and custom ROMs are not an option since that just tells me the system was garbage to begin with. I've rooted dozens of Androids but in the end, I'll take an OEM with fewer bugs than a custom ROM with a ton. That's where WP comes in. Solid devices across the board and a well-thought OS to boot. To me, that's also value.

I'm confused. You said they are overpriced as in dollars and cents yet they cost the same as comparable Windows Products. I'm looking at it price wise period, not perceived value. Dollar for dollar products from running Windows stuff or Apple stuff are in the same range. Whether you feel one is more valuable than another is your own opinion.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. You said they are overpriced as in dollars and cents yet they cost the same as comparable Windows Products. I'm looking at it price wise period, not perceived value. Dollar for dollar products from running Windows stuff or Apple stuff are in the same range. Whether you feel one is more valuable than another is your own opinion.

What I meant was that Apple products are of better value for the same mount of money as their Windows counterparts. What I mean with counterparts is having equal features. You can't compare a Macbook with a $300 Toshiba. Yes, the Toshiba makes the Macbook seem very expensive but the Mac makes the same Toshiba look like a netbook purchased from AliBaba, if you know what I mean.

Same goes for phones. You can't compare an iPhone or a BB Z30 to a Lumia 520 or a Moto G and say "Damn! Those iPhones sure are expensive!" That's my definition of value. Catch my drift?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What I meant was that Apple products are of better value for the same mount of money as their Windows counterparts. What I mean with counterparts is having equal features. You can't compare a Macbook with a $300 Toshiba. Yes, the Toshiba makes the Macbook seem very expensive but the Mac makes the same Toshiba look like a netbook purchased from AliBaba, if you know what I mean.

Iphone 5s vs Lumia 920. The iphone is definitely more expensive and the 920 has a better camera 8mp vs 8.7mp pureview, better screen 4inch 1136 x 640 vs 4.5inch 1280 x 768. And has the 920 has NFC and wireless charging which the 5s doesn't have. Your point is invalid.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Iphone 5s vs Lumia 920. The iphone is definitely more expensive and the 920 has a better camera 8mp vs 8.7mp pureview, better screen 4inch 1136 x 640 vs 4.5inch 1280 x 768. And has the 920 has NFC and wireless charging which the 5s doesn't have. Your point is invalid.

The 5S also has a 64-bit processor, metal construction and much higher resale value. Like I said, value means more than dollars and cents. My point is not only valid, it's vindicated. I don't like the iPhone or iOS, but I'm not blind to its virtues. Just like I don't care for Scarlett Johansson, but there's no denying she's smoking hot.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Same goes for phones. You can't compare an iPhone or a BB Z30 to a Lumia 520 or a Moto G and say "Damn! Those iPhones sure are expensive!" That's my definition of value. Catch my drift?

I am talking about high end models just like Apples stuff. I am not talking about budget items. Why would I compare an iPhone to a 520? I am comparing high end to high end, which is fair.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Apple is indeed overpriced - if you only look at dollars and cents. Apple gives you VALUE and that line is blurry to some people.

I agree that your argument is much better than the other guy's argument if you couch it in terms of value for cost. The other guy was just being lazy and obstinate trying to argue that the apt comparison with the Icon would be the 5c 16GB. No one in their right mind would compare those two because the Icon has double the storage and the 5c is the watered-down version of the iPhone. Now it is debatable whether the Icon should be compared to the 5s or 5c 32GB, but either way those versions of the iPhone are $100 and $200 pricier. Thus, they are overpriced from a straight price analysis. You can make the argument that the iPhone has $100-200 in "value" added over the Icon. I don't think that's the case, but it's a much better argument than the lame comparison between Apple and oranges that the other guy made.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am talking about high end models just like Apples stuff. I am not talking about budget items. Why would I compare an iPhone to a 520? I am comparing high end to high end, which is fair.

That was the point of my first response. There are some on these boards that have, and continue to, compare iPhones to most others based on price point alone and criticize you and others for trying to justify Apple's pricing. Some people simply can't get past the fact that Apple does not make budget devices. I find that hilarious because making that complaint sounds like a thinly veiled attempt at admitting you like an iPhone but you can't afford it.

Why would Mercedes market a car to compete with a KIA? No offense to KIAs, I owned a Sorento.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that your argument is much better than the other guy's argument if you couch it in terms of value for cost. The other guy was just being lazy and obstinate trying to argue that the apt comparison with the Icon would be the 5c 16GB. No one in their right mind would compare those two because the Icon has double the storage and the 5c is the watered-down version of the iPhone. Now it is debatable whether the Icon should be compared to the 5s or 5c 32GB, but either way those versions of the iPhone are $100 and $200 pricier. Thus, they are overpriced from a straight price analysis. You can make the argument that the iPhone has $100-200 in "value" added over the Icon. I don't think that's the case, but it's a much better argument than the lame comparison between Apple and oranges that the other guy made.

Thank you for understanding my reasoning. Let me add that if you compare the going prices for a 920 (I'm using the 920 since that was the example thrown at me) on eBay, for example, you'll note they're in the $175-$225 range but there are iPhone 4S models still in the high $200s and the 5S is in the high rent district. Whether real or perceived, the value is there and there's no denying it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for understanding my reasoning. Let me add that if you compare the going prices for a 920 (I'm using the 920 since that was the example thrown at me) on eBay, for example, you'll note they're in the $175-$225 range but there are iPhone 4S models still in the high $200s and the 5S is in the high rent district. Whether real or perceived, the value is there and there's no denying it.
Let's get back to the topic. What does having a higher resale value got to do with improving user experience.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Those models are a bit trickier to evaluate from an "overpriced" standpoint because the prices reflect the market (which reflects supply and demand), not pricing from the manufacturer or inherent value. I too have a 920 and would never trade it for an iPhone 4s, strictly because of the screen size disparity. I think a 3.5" phone is way outdated and detrimental regardless of the OS and build. Some people might kill to have an iPhone for $200 even if it has 8GB and a display the size of a postage stamp.

I very rarely hear anyone effectively argue that a new iPhone is not overpriced by about $50-$250, depending on the model when compared to high end Android and Windows phones (I suppose you could toss in BlackBerry as well). Specs and features don't lie. It's fine if Apple can get away with it, because some people perceive extra value, some people buy Apple products as a status symbol, and some people just don't care if they pay more. The same holds true for most other Apple devices and accessories.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I laughed to those people who think that Google spy but MS not.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5003855
Their are lots if news of ms spying.

Don't you guys know about NSA case?
And what Cortana. It's also keep records of yours interest or other things.

If privacy is the biggest concern for you then the only solution is to stop using internet.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I laughed to those people who think that Google spy but MS not.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5003855
Their are lots if news of ms spying.

Don't you guys know about NSA case?
And what Cortana. It's also keep records of yours interest or other things.

If privacy is the biggest concern for you then the only solution is to stop using internet.
Cortana will keep the records you want her to keep And I don't understand why you Americans are so scared of of the NSA spying on you. Its not like they are gonna spread the info they gathered to a stranger.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Cortana will keep the records you want her to keep And I don't understand why you Americans are so scared of of the NSA spying on you. Its not like they are gonna spread the info they gathered to a stranger.

Us Americans that lived through the reign of J. Edgar Hoover or Richard Nixon have every right to be worried. I'll just leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That's a strange comment, given the fact that one of the primary considerations in purchasing any product, not just tech hardware, is price point and value. You may not care about it, but most people do.

I think the point that was being made was why concern yourself (specifically those who criticize Apple for their pricing) on whether or not a product is overpriced if you have no interest in it? Of course in general, people care about the price and value of products they have an interest in.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think the point that was being made was why concern yourself (specifically those who criticize Apple for their pricing) on whether or not a product is overpriced if you have no interest in it? Of course in general, people care about the price and value of products they have an interest in.

It's funny that you say that because I've asked one of the posters in this thread a similar question: why he is posting 800+ criticisms in a Windows Phone forum if he has no interest in it. But I digress. . . .

Looking back at the post you referenced, it seems to me he is saying "I don't hate any manufacturer, I don't care about Apple pricing, you should be like me." Still a strange comment in my book.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
"Spy" and "behind your back" imply that I didn't agree to it up front. It isn't a human reading these, while it theoretically could be. Can you factually prove, with sources that Microsoft isn't watching what you type on your Windows computers and sending it back to their servers? I mean conclusively prove? And before you ask, I'm running Firefox, not Chrome.

You might not "give a thing", but that isn't the point. That is still a big issue, and a concern. I could say "I don't use google signed in on my computers, and I use a VPN, so google tracking 'is not a thing to me'" but I still refuted the point.

Google outright says they don't sell to an ad retailer. Do you use Facebook? They do that. Google does EBay style auctions for phrases, like "best dentist" or "fastest car" and they keep the info. There is an "off switch" by the way, called signing out. Can you point me to hard proof that they aren't listening to them? I found an article pointing the other way:
Kinect for Xbox One: An always-on, works-in-the-dark camera and microphone. What could possibly go wrong? | ExtremeTech

It isn't safe, as the article I mentioned shows as a fact, they can go to the server room to read anyone's email, whenever they want. Do you use PGP encrypted email for everything? No?

I didn't say how dare they make money. What I said, or I thought at least implied was:
Google makes their money soley off of ads. They can only get these ads if people trust them, so their privacy and profits go hand in hand. Microsoft gets money from enough places that if no one trusted their data to Microsoft, they'd still be ok.

I like how you again referenced so many articles, and factual proof to say it's a huge joke that they lack quality and smoothness. I mean, that must be a fact, as look at sales numbers, Android is severely lagging. I like the W8 tabs, but honestly, if the "lack of quality and smoothness" was what most people felt, would they continue to buy them?

"google has become an evil corp recently , sadly , accept it and move on" again, I like your well documented proof. I will stop using services that stop using services I find better than Microsofts, as in Google search, Gmail (I never get spam to my Gmail, yes I occasionally see an ad from Google directly, but that's better than the ads I see in my Outlook.com), and Google Voice is a lifesaver when I can't get cell signal, but I can get wifi. To each their own.

Thanks for your hard hitting fact based expose!

PS I like some Microsoft services better than Google's, but still, F.U.D. isn't good for anyone.

i guess you havent even used both microsoft and google services together before or something
you like the google life, good for you
microsoft doesnt display ads etc based on your usage etc so it doesnt track you
as for your "sign out" comment, im never logged in
i guess you prefer to have your info sold and being spied on
email spam doesnt differ on any email service, im guessing you dont have any knowledge of how these things work
android feels like the poor mans ios nowadays(excluding stock android ofcourse)
they can read your email but atleast they dont sell it
google tracking is done on your device end not server or ID , it checks your cookies, history etc
if google is trying to make money off ads, why cant they make something like microsofts advert id or apples iAd which dont sell you out
im sorry but your comment has a load of flaws and is incorrect in alot of ways, you are very naive about google
even the worst android fanboys will accept googles flaws but you will not is it?(im not calling you a ****** dont get me wrong)
google isnt a saint
neither is microsoft and apple but atleast they are open about whatever they do, google is sneaky and denies stuff despite proper proof

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i guess you havent even used both microsoft and google services together before or something
you like the google life, good for you
microsoft doesnt display ads etc based on your usage etc so it doesnt track you
as for your "sign out" comment, im never logged in
i guess you prefer to have your info sold and being spied on
email spam doesnt differ on any email service, im guessing you dont have any knowledge of how these things work
android feels like the poor mans ios nowadays(excluding stock android ofcourse)
they can read your email but atleast they dont sell it
google tracking is done on your device end not server or ID , it checks your cookies, history etc
if google is trying to make money off ads, why cant they make something like microsofts advert id or apples iAd which dont sell you out
im sorry but your comment has a load of flaws and is incorrect in alot of ways, you are very naive about google
even the worst android fanboys will accept googles flaws but you will not is it?(im not calling you a ****** dont get me wrong)
google isnt a saint
neither is microsoft and apple but atleast they are open about whatever they do, google is sneaky and denies stuff despite proper proof

Google is more transparent than Apple or Microsoft. Sneaky? A read of their TOS or even just figuring out how they make money will give you a good insight.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For the record I am not justifying Apples pricing, because I think that's what some people think. I actually don't like Apple products, but I can't call them overpriced when devices off contract are all on the same range. That would just be lying.

I understand we all have biasness and may prefer one company over another but I can't complain about how they do things because no matter what they figured out how to make their products very desirable.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It's funny that you say that because I've asked one of the posters in this thread a similar question: why he is posting 800+ criticisms in a Windows Phone forum if he has no interest in it. But I digress. . . .

Looking back at the post you referenced, it seems to me he is saying "I don't hate any manufacturer, I don't care about Apple pricing, you should be like me." Still a strange comment in my book.

I don't hate any manufacturer. How shallow is my life is that I have to devote energy to such an endeavor? I also don't care about Apples pricing, obviously it works for them, they have a lot of money in the bank and make billions of their phones and sell millions very year.

I have not been posting 800 criticisms, instead of AGAIN coming at me, have constructive arguments otherwise you don't help your own arguments it's shows that you can't have a decent thought out conversation.

But I digress...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That's a strange comment, given the fact that one of the primary considerations in purchasing any product, not just tech hardware, is price point and value. You may not care about it, but most people do.

If something is overpriced you don't buy it. It's not like Apple has a monopoly or anything. If it were overpriced they wouldn't be that successful and had to decrease the prices.

Apple products are simply not overpriced, they are very successful in their price niche. Every company would be tremendously stupid to decrease prices with all the products they sell for the price.

You might think that Apple products are being overpriced, but millions of people buying these products obviously don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99