Please stop hating Google, they only spy on us to improve our experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The title of this thread is hilarious if not somewhat disturbing. Every company allows you to provide user data back to them for improving user experience, however Google gives you no control over this and specifically mines ALL your data that you use on their services to drive their core business of advertising. The almost make no money on anything else so everything they do is about their advertising revenue.

I don't hate Google, I despise them and their business practices. Not only do they go through your data for advertising purposes, but they have blatantly stolen technology from many companies to build their other products and also are leveraging their power in the search space to try and kill off their competitors or build their own alternatives. I am astounded that the EU has not cracked down on their practices more than they have so far, but I think they are gun shy of going too hard after the the Microsoft IE punishment was too hard.

I know Microsoft did many bad things in the 90s, but they were punished for them very heavily, I'd like to see the same happen to Google to make them pull their heads in.

Facebook may also use your personal data to provide you with advertising, but that is only the information you have chosen to give them when you share your information on Facebook. They don't go through all your emails, files or internet browsing history like Google does.

Google is evil and I hate them.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The title of this thread is hilarious if not somewhat disturbing. Every company allows you to provide user data back to them for improving user experience, however Google gives you no control over this and specifically mines ALL your data that you use on their services to drive their core business of advertising. The almost make no money on anything else so everything they do is about their advertising revenue.

I don't hate Google, I despise them and their business practices. Not only do they go through your data for advertising purposes, but they have blatantly stolen technology from many companies to build their other products and also are leveraging their power in the search space to try and kill off their competitors or build their own alternatives. I am astounded that the EU has not cracked down on their practices more than they have so far, but I think they are gun shy of going too hard after the the Microsoft IE punishment was too hard.

I know Microsoft did many bad things in the 90s, but they were punished for them very heavily, I'd like to see the same happen to Google to make them pull their heads in.

Facebook may also use your personal data to provide you with advertising, but that is only the information you have chosen to give them when you share your information on Facebook. They don't go through all your emails, files or internet browsing history like Google does.

I don't understand what problem arises if Google stole your data.
Do they robbed your bank?
Do Google share your info with your family or friends or your relatives?

I still don't know what exactly your fear
Is?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

You can change what stuff Google has access to and privatize your data. I don't know why people keep saying they just steal stuff, they don't. They have data to whatever YOU give them. That "Google steals all my data" line is now old and a lie.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
What I hate about Android: Laggy unless you buy an expensive phone with higher specs.
What I hate about Apple: Overpriced, overpriced and overpriced.

Quick! Take this comment to AndroidCentral! You'll be able to prove to get them all to switch over! You have so many charts, and so much evidence, no one will be able to refute it!

I have yet to notice lag on anything, but maybe that's because I've had Comcast Xfinity boasts no "buffering" when playing a video game. This is how intelligent Comcast thinks their "gamer" audience is. Pathetic. : videos (really I don't have them, nor would I, but your statement is similar to theirs)

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

Mining implies they work for it, and try to discover it. They don't at all, as it's directly given to them. Why do you think Microsoft is doing Bing rewards? Only to get you to switch? Do you think they're not keeping that data as well?

Microsoft didn't do things on this level, but if you want to talk about "blatently stole", Steve Jobs bought the rights to the mouse from IBM. Gates, although he's now a good guy, basically copied the whole idea. That's stealing ideas. Google super innovated search. Yahoo, Lycos, and others had rudimentary data, and Yahoo was even trying to just fit the whole internet into categories. Google went the other way and indexed everything. Not something that was being done then. So I don't know how they "stole".

"Facebook may also use your personal data to provide you with advertising, but that is only the information you have chosen to give them when you share your information on Facebook. They don't go through all your emails, files or internet browsing history like Google does." tell me one thing Google has about you that you haven't given them? I had the Facebook app on my phone a few years ago, and called a neighbor of my grandmother a few times to fix her PC. She was never a contact. Guess who I see in my "people you may know" thing? That's creepy and data-miningish. You can also turn off Web History in Google, and download all your data from them whenever you wish. I tried doing that 2-3 years ago when I deleted my Facebook, they said they'd email it to me. I'm still waiting on that email.

Also, Facebook doesn't go through your emails because they can't yet. Why do you think they "accidently" changed everyone's contact email to their Facebook one a while ago? Why do you think they made Facebook Home? Do you think they don't send any data that they get through that back to HQ? Facebook is more evil imho as they sell your name on the data. Google just says "we have X number of people who searched for Y, lets start the bidding on Y at $Z". Facebook says "We have data on X number of people, we'll sell it for $0.0Z."

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Mining implies they work for it, and try to discover it. They don't at all, as it's directly given to them. Why do you think Microsoft is doing Bing rewards? Only to get you to switch? Do you think they're not keeping that data as well?

Microsoft didn't do things on this level, but if you want to talk about "blatently stole", Steve Jobs bought the rights to the mouse from IBM. Gates, although he's now a good guy, basically copied the whole idea. That's stealing ideas. Google super innovated search. Yahoo, Lycos, and others had rudimentary data, and Yahoo was even trying to just fit the whole internet into categories. Google went the other way and indexed everything. Not something that was being done then. So I don't know how they "stole".

"Facebook may also use your personal data to provide you with advertising, but that is only the information you have chosen to give them when you share your information on Facebook. They don't go through all your emails, files or internet browsing history like Google does." tell me one thing Google has about you that you haven't given them? I had the Facebook app on my phone a few years ago, and called a neighbor of my grandmother a few times to fix her PC. She was never a contact. Guess who I see in my "people you may know" thing? That's creepy and data-miningish. You can also turn off Web History in Google, and download all your data from them whenever you wish. I tried doing that 2-3 years ago when I deleted my Facebook, they said they'd email it to me. I'm still waiting on that email.

Also, Facebook doesn't go through your emails because they can't yet. Why do you think they "accidently" changed everyone's contact email to their Facebook one a while ago? Why do you think they made Facebook Home? Do you think they don't send any data that they get through that back to HQ? Facebook is more evil imho as they sell your name on the data. Google just says "we have X number of people who searched for Y, lets start the bidding on Y at $Z". Facebook says "We have data on X number of people, we'll sell it for $0.0Z."

That's funny,because according to Google they do and is a active part of their 2 tier strategy. If you don't believe me,simply type in your Google search bar " Does Google data mine "

Sorry I'm on my mobile and can't post a link

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This should clear this up once in for all...

They Data Mine

Data Mining - Research at Google

It doesn't get much clearer than this.

Mac

That didn't prove anything lol. This conversation went from stealing data to data mining. Which is it?

What difference does it make? They all do it. It's just that Google is the best at it.

The NSA will get your data one way or another.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
That didn't prove anything lol. This conversation went from stealing data to data mining. Which is it?

Yes it did...you stated that they didn't after I posted they did indeed,and you stated something about my knowledge lacking in the subject....remember....so ..whose knowledge is lacking on all of this...not mine.

Now just as I suspected you would,are trying to downplay your ignorance in this...

You choose to slight others here,and have little to no knowledge of this..bad choice.

When any company who makes their goal to know everything about you or me and sells this data to others without hesitation...is not a company to be called trustworthy.

When you or others defend Google's actions as benign just shows how gullible you are. They are stealing data because what they are doing isn't being shown for what it actually is and how it is acquired by unsuspecting individuals If people really understood all of this,the uproar would shake the world.

People like you who defend their or any other companies data mining are just as responsible for spreading falsehoods and aiding the companies doing this.

It may be legal what they are doing right now,but it won't always be so.

Mac

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What difference does it make? They all do it. It's just that Google is the best at it.

I'm not using the NSA's servers or services, and while I am sure that they do,they aren't selling it to make a profit.

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes it did...you stated that they didn't after I posted they did indeed,and you stated something about my knowledge lacking in the subject....remember....so ..whose knowledge is lacking on all of this...not mine.

Now just as I suspected you would,are trying to downplay your ignorance in this...

You choose to slight others here,and have little to no knowledge of this..bad choice.

When any company who makes their goal to know everything about you or me and sells this data to others without hesitation...is not a company to be called trustworthy.

When you or others defend Google's actions as benign just shows how gullible you are. They are stealing data because what they are doing isn't being shown for what it actually is and how it is acquired by unsuspecting individuals If people really understood all of this,the uproar would shake the world.

People like you who defend their or any other companies data mining are just as responsible for spreading falsehoods and aiding the companies doing this.

It may be legal what they are doing right now,but it won't always be so.

Mac

They don't sell data.

No matter how many times I say, you and others still want to perpetuate they do when they don't. They get their info on you from what YOU give them. It's all on YOU the user. If you don't know how to go into your own Google Dashboard and privatize your settings it's your own fault.

I don't defend what they do, but how they do is pretty transparent. Just like you can lock down your Microsoft account, you can lock down your Google Account. I don't get what's so hard to understand.

You and others want to hate Google because it's cool to do so, that's fine, but spreading FUD is not the way you do it.

And if you are so afraid of ads you shouldn't be using any free service. I don't understand what is so scary about ads. At that these are targeted ads, ads relevant to YOU ,and if you don't want targeted ads, turn off search history. Easy.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. That is why I stopped caring. I mean I locked down my Google Account, but that's it. They need to make money somehow and Google ain't no charity, nor is Microsoft or Apple or any tech company.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
They don't sell data.

No matter how many times I say, you and others still want to perpetuate they do when they don't. They get their info on you from what YOU give them. It's all on YOU the user. If you don't know how to go into your own Google Dashboard and privatize your settings it's your own fault.

I don't defend what they do, but how they do is pretty transparent. Just like you can lock down your Microsoft account, you can lock down your Google Account. I don't get what's so hard to understand.

You and others want to hate Google because it's cool to do so, that's fine, but spreading FUD is not the way you do it.

And if you are so afraid of ads you shouldn't be using any free service. I don't understand what is so scary about ads. At that these are targeted ads, ads relevant to YOU ,and if you don't want targeted ads, turn off search history. Easy.

Nice dodge......it still doesn't change what you said and what was shown in the link I provided.

Only Google fan boys believe your bs....so save it

Mac

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice dodge......it still doesn't change what you said and what was shown in the link I provided.

Only Google fan boys believe your bs....so save it

Mac

Dodge what? The link you had shows they do mine data and I never said they didn't. I am saying they don't sell data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786